Section 8: Tenant having loud "Overnight Guests" , Report them?

Section 8: Tenant having loud "Overnight Guests" , Report them?

Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes

Argg!! Hate living in Section 8 low income housing, so many problems, but since I'm poor, Guess I have to suck up to it.
Since last week, I have a problem with my neighbor (who are also a tenant on section 8 housing like myself).
My neighbor is having over "Overnight guests" including an infant baby that cries on and off throughout the whole night.
Last night I called the police at 2am, police said they cannot do much on baby crying. Police and I talk to the neighbor, she said her "overnight guests" are staying with her until they find a house. She even give me attitude and dare me to go complaint to the manager.
Which I will on Monday, we live in Section 8 there are rules on having overnight guests over on certain amount of days. And her overnight guests baby is crying at night which effect my sleep.
Should I talk to the manager first? Or contact directly to the Housing Authorities?
Thanks.
And I believe that I should not be force to tollerate disruptive noise from "overnight guests" of a neighbor.
If the guests are Not authorize tenants in this housing complex, and they making noise, I think I should report them. Maybe contact HUD is better?

0
Topic locked
407 views

Most Popular Reply

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
13y

Thread closed.

8
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

150 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:
    I do not have to do anything that you say, maybe you should tell yoru family to get a night job.
    I refuse to get a night job and I will report this overnight guests tomorrow.

    Of course you don't have to. You can always stay in section 8 with things as they are. Then again, it sounds better to improve your life, right?

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:
    Update, and just to let Jon know
    Called Housing Authorities this morning, they said "any overnight guests that NOT reporting to the housing is VIOLATION OF THE LEASE". They told me to report to the manager and if the manager don't solve it, they will solve it.
    Talk to the manager, the manager say "Don't worried, for sure they will be getting a LETTER from me, and I will make sure they follow the lease." And she said give her 48 hours to solve this and will get back to me.
    So ha! Finanlly I can have peace and get rid of UNAUTHORIZE overnight guests who are NOT reported living in section 8.
    And I was told I can take actions if the guests are NOT OUT after the limitation.

    Yep. You'll have to wait until the end of the 14 day limitation for their overnight guests to not be allowed.

    I hope for your sake that some other section 8 vagrant, thug, partier, drunk, etc. doesn't move in if a BABY bothers you so terribly. Two words: ear plugs.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Hahah Jon,
    WRONG!
    I guess I didn't tell you the complete response.
    Housing OWNER get unhappy, he document everything including police records, and he phone the manager and make sure this will be solve.
    And the manager say FOR SURE THIS BABY WON'T BE CRYING TONIGHT AGAIN.
    And Nope, 14 days rules? That is if you get it in written reporting your guests that they in your house.
    ANY overnight guests that NOT report to the housing are "UNAUTHORIZE GUESTS" and this word "UNAUTHORIZE GUESTS" are coming out from the mouth of the OWNER.
    A overnight guests don't become automatically LEGAL until they are report to the housing and the housing knows about it.
    Who say I have to wait 14 days? Haha!! Tonight I won't be hearing this baby cry again.
    And just to let you know. The owner say "you rent the place, it is NOT your property." That means you are not allow to bring in anyone to live with you until they know. And... the owner called the overnight guests are "UNAUTHORIZE GUESTS" that means even the OWNER DO NOT recogize them as authorize, HAHAHA!
    Jon, I won.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    And tonight no more baby cries, back to my good sleep. Haha!, Topic over.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    And Jon, maybe you should take a class in section 8 housing laws.
    You know why they are "UNAUTHORIZE GUESTS"
    Because 1) Section 8 are not SHELTER, you do not bring anyone to live in your apartment until they find a home. 2) If your guests have NO OTHER address. No proof of any other address, that means they have no home. No home and they are living in your apartment, that means you are abuse the rules of bringing someone in your apartment to give them shelter.
    3) Before any guests can be put on the lease, background will be check make sure this person is U.S citizenship or have legal resident here in USA. So before this baby and baby family move in, there be some time before housing approve it.
    And just to let you know, the new laws of section 8, NO MORE WAIT LIST! Haha!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    And that 14 days rules I show you are Legal Aid by the city of San Mateo County. I don't live in that county, so it don't apply to me.
    We will know tonight and by tomorrow see if I have to wait till 14 days or not, LOL! Welcome to good night sleep, with no UNAUTHORIZE GUESTS in section 8 property.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    And quote you, I already have an drinker, party, alcoholic neighbor here before. He often get drunk, and get into physical fights , the whole family get evicted!
    And I love baby, I just don't welcome UNAUTHORIZE GUESTS who ARE NOT REPORTED to the housing. Who are NOT APPROVE by the housing to come here to get SHELTER. As long as the owner considered this family baby are UNAUTHORIZE GUESTS, then I have the ground to to report, to call police, and to make sure they get OUT of here. UNTIL they Get on the lease, be a legal resident here.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2010 · 812 posts · 178 votes
    13y

    Your attitude is why you're section 8. You have an attitude and are arguing with highly successful people instead of listening to them.

    Get a clue.

    3
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    You are highly success that means I have to listen to you? How success are you? Are you the president of the United States?
    Doesn't matter how success you are, there are rules that you have to abide by if you sign your name on it. Even the president have to goes by the rules.
    Do you work for HUD? Are you the own of the whole section 8 housing? If you do NOT work for HUD, you do not have any rights to tell me to tollerate someone who is NOT a resident in my housing. EVEN HUD say so.
    And I will make sure anyone who sign into this section 8 housing are following their rules. And right now the rules are side with me!
    Even the judge have to go by the rules. Nothing is for free in USA, and you giving shelter to someone who is an unauthorize residents, anyone have the rights to report them and get them OUT! Unless you become a residents, then I have no ground to report.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    OH and if you like to give free shelter to someone who have no home and is looking for a place to stay. Please give them your rental for FREE! My neighbor with an infant baby will be GREATLY appreciated if you can shelter them until they find a house.
    Maybe you can do that, if you are the owner of your house.
    But if you are on government assistant, there are the HUD, and the HUD will make sure you go by their guidelines or else they won't renew your section 8 next year.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    To Jon, I found this while searching around. Maybe you should read:

    "The tenant usually denies that the individual is residing in the unit and claims that the individual has an apartment elsewhere and is simply a “guest” of the tenant.

    At a minimum, the O/A should obtain a signed/notarized statement from the tenant confirming that the individual is not residing in the unit including the understanding of the HUD rules regarding unauthorized occupancy. The O/A should request to know the "guest's" actual residential address.

    The tenant should be required to provide other documentation to prove that the individual resides elsewhere, such as mail to their “real” address, a utility bill, a lease, a signed/notarized statement from the persons they are residing with and a signed/notarized statement from the allegedly-unauthorized individual as well. "

    I will tell this to the owner tomorrow. And if the neighbor guests cannot prove they are reside in another address, that means they are being SHELTER. And if they are being shelter, they are No Longer a "GUESTS".
    I like to go by the rules, if they can prove they have a house somewhere else, then I have no ground to make further report. LOL!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Joe Delia:
    Your attitude is why you're section 8. You have an attitude and are arguing with highly successful people instead of listening to them.

    Get a clue.

    Bravo, brother.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:
    Nothing is for free in USA, and you giving shelter to someone who is an unauthorize residents, anyone have the rights to report them and get them OUT! Unless you become a residents, then I have no ground to report.

    Nothing is free... except for welfare. And, food stamps. And, so on.

    2
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Jon K
    Your patience & self control is an inspiration !!!

    2
    Topic locked
  • Homeowner · El Paso, TX · Member since 2012 · 81 posts · 22 votes
    13y

    Wow.

    All i have to say is, anyone giving you advice on here is way more patient than I am.

    Just reading this makes me wonder why people would deal with section 8 housing if the people they deal with are like this.

    3
    Topic locked
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 31 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Pat L.:
    Jon K
    Your patience & self control is an inspiration !!!

    No kidding! I've seen this thread since the beginning and stayed clear of it. Why on earth she fixated on Jon is beyond me.

    Eileen you got what you wanted so let it go. This time everything worked out, next time you might not be so lucky.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Investor · North Wales, PA · Member since 2013 · 116 posts · 44 votes
    13y

    Eileen,

    Will you please come back to this thread and let us know what happens with your neighbors? I'm very interested to learn who moves in next, if they move out. I've got my popcorn ready.

    2
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Jon K.:
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:
    Nothing is for free in USA, and you giving shelter to someone who is an unauthorize residents, anyone have the rights to report them and get them OUT! Unless you become a residents, then I have no ground to report.

    Nothing is free... except for welfare. And, food stamps. And, so on.

    And Section 8 vouchers! How could you forget that one? :)

    2
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Welfare, Foodstamps, Section 8 voucher are also not free. They are being pay by others people taxes.

    And here is an Update, they are now no longer a "GUESTS" if they cannot show prove of their real address. Housing authorities are now asking the neighbors to sending them proof.

    Jon and Dyna, I am not being lucky. I report "unauthorize" people that I see in my section 8 where I live. I hope you understand what is an "unauthorize occupant"
    If the neighbor "guests" cannot show the Housing their address of where they come from. Then that means my neighbor is giving them shelter, and this does not equal to "Guests"

    Like said in the second page. "Unauthorize occupant" suppose to show housing like a bill, a mail going to their real address. If these "guests" cannot show this, then they do not allow here under the "14 days guests rules"

    The neighbor specific said that "Her guests are staying with her until they found a house" ==== This words can indeed get her in trouble with the housing because it make it sound like they do not have a home right now, and they are with her for shelter. Neighbor said this, the police was there to witness, police records document this, so I have the police on my side be my witness that she said this.

    And the owner told me I have the rights to calls the police if any "unauthorize" peopel are making noise at night. This including the infant baby.

    It going to be a while to know the outcome. Because housing say it is confidential they cannot say how they solving this, but it is being solve, and they are following the HUD guidelines. And the HUD are strict with this stuff because the HUD knows how people can abuse the section 8 system.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Two things the neighbord did wrong are 1) having "unauthorize" people in their house without reporting to the housing. This already does not looks good for them. Even if I did not report, I'm sure the manager will eventually noticed this.
    2) She said they staying with her until they find a house. This looks bad on her too, because if she cannot prove her "guests" have a real address somewhere else. Then her "guests" can become "unauthorize occupant", and HUD does not like this.

    Hey, if she can proof her "overnight guests" real address, and they just come to visit. THen fine, after the times is up, leave. If not, go put her "guests" on the lease. Then they are legal residents here, then I have nothing to report. But until she do that, anyone can report her.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    "If you do not have an unauthorized occupant, you need to first find out exactly who the housing authority thinks is your unauthorized guest. Once you know who the housing authority thinks is living with you, you should gather evidence to show that the person does not live with you. Examples of this type of evidence include the following:

    A copy of that person’s lease showing where they do live.
    A copy of that person’s driver’s license with an address clearly indicated.
    Copies of the outside of envelopes addressed to that person, such as utility bills, car payments, or credit card bills.
    A signed statement by the person that says he or she does not live with you and giving his or her actual address.
    Once you have the evidence, write a letter to the housing authority and explain the situation. Include copies of your evidence and a clear explanation about what the situation is. Keep a copy of this letter and whatever else you send with it for yourself. You can also request a meeting to describe your situation and evidence."

    Found this online, and I think this is what the neighbor have to prove to HUD. And if the neighbor can prove this, then what do I have to complaint? NOTHING!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    I'm afraid that remembering some of the stuff I read here will take the place of important stuff in my brain. I might remember how overnight guests in a welfare housing situation work, but forget stuff like my table manners or how to put gas in my car.

    I think everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read through all of this nonsense.

    4
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    If this section of the forum is just for landlords only then please admin can delete my thread.
    I thought this section was for Landlord&Tenant related issues.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Homeowner · El Paso, TX · Member since 2012 · 81 posts · 22 votes
    13y

    Ah tax payer money. I know it's damn near impossible the way things are now, but I do believe they should cut out welfare and section 8 completely.

    Once people don't have uncle sam to pay for their cost of living, they might be more inclined to work for a change, rather than vote for it.

    4
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Pat L.:
    Jon K
    Your patience & self control is an inspiration !!!

    Pat L.

    Hah, thanks Pat. I've never been known for my patience. But, I'm trying here. :)

    0
    Topic locked