Section 8: Tenant having loud "Overnight Guests" , Report them?

Section 8: Tenant having loud "Overnight Guests" , Report them?

Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes

Argg!! Hate living in Section 8 low income housing, so many problems, but since I'm poor, Guess I have to suck up to it.
Since last week, I have a problem with my neighbor (who are also a tenant on section 8 housing like myself).
My neighbor is having over "Overnight guests" including an infant baby that cries on and off throughout the whole night.
Last night I called the police at 2am, police said they cannot do much on baby crying. Police and I talk to the neighbor, she said her "overnight guests" are staying with her until they find a house. She even give me attitude and dare me to go complaint to the manager.
Which I will on Monday, we live in Section 8 there are rules on having overnight guests over on certain amount of days. And her overnight guests baby is crying at night which effect my sleep.
Should I talk to the manager first? Or contact directly to the Housing Authorities?
Thanks.
And I believe that I should not be force to tollerate disruptive noise from "overnight guests" of a neighbor.
If the guests are Not authorize tenants in this housing complex, and they making noise, I think I should report them. Maybe contact HUD is better?

0
Topic locked
446 views

Most Popular Reply

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
13y

Thread closed.

8
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

150 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Elliot Mendoza:
    Wow.

    All i have to say is, anyone giving you advice on here is way more patient than I am.

    Just reading this makes me wonder why people would deal with section 8 housing if the people they deal with are like this.

    Elliot Mendoza

    I can't imagine dealing with section 8 as a landlord either. I used to volunteer with section 8 recipients in the ghetto. That is, until I got tired of them refusing to help themselves and work when they had the chance, leaving their kids unattended while they went out and got drunk and/or made more babies, locking the kids out of the apartment to protect their 40" plasma TVs until they got home, and all the wasted taxpayer-funded healthy produce food deliveries that went unused while welfare recipients got take out. It was bizarre.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Dyna J.:
    Originally posted by Pat L.:
    Jon K
    Your patience & self control is an inspiration !!!

    No kidding! I've seen this thread since the beginning and stayed clear of it. Why on earth she fixated on Jon is beyond me.

    Eileen you got what you wanted so let it go. This time everything worked out, next time you might not be so lucky.

    Dyna J.

    Thanks to you to. This sure was a strange thread.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by Jon K.:
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:
    Nothing is for free in USA, and you giving shelter to someone who is an unauthorize residents, anyone have the rights to report them and get them OUT! Unless you become a residents, then I have no ground to report.

    Nothing is free... except for welfare. And, food stamps. And, so on.

    And Section 8 vouchers! How could you forget that one? :)

    Steve Babiak

    Ah, I forgot. Good call. Section 8 vouchers are free! Oh, and some will get free healthcare. And, food stamps. And, my oh my, the free stuff is everywhere!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:
    Welfare, Foodstamps, Section 8 voucher are also not free. They are being pay by others people taxes.

    You're welcome.

    I like to see that my tax dollars from working are being used for something.

    Welfare, food stamps, section 8, some health care, etc. is free to some people.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Elliot Mendoza:
    Ah tax payer money. I know it's damn near impossible the way things are now, but I do believe they should cut out welfare and section 8 completely.

    Once people don't have uncle sam to pay for their cost of living, they might be more inclined to work for a change, rather than vote for it.

    Elliot Mendoza

    Round of applause, Elliot.

    Amazing the rampant entitlement this country has headed towards. Some people need temporary legitimate help and have terminal illnesses/100% unable to care for themselves and I'm for it. But, the long-term living off everyone else irks me. Some people make more with all the welfare, section 8, food stamps, etc. than they do working minimum wage and choose not to work. It's crazy.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Rob K:
    I'm afraid that remembering some of the stuff I read here will take the place of important stuff in my brain. I might remember how overnight guests in a welfare housing situation work, but forget stuff like my table manners or how to put gas in my car.

    I think everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read through all of this nonsense.

    Rob K

    Me too. Threads like this make me want to call up my old universities and tell them I want to PAY MORE. A few hundred thousand dollars wasn't enough for my solid education.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Fran Flanagan:
    Eileen,

    Will you please come back to this thread and let us know what happens with your neighbors? I'm very interested to learn who moves in next, if they move out. I've got my popcorn ready.

    Fran Flanagan

    I'm curious, too. My bet is on a 450 pound welfare baby momma smoker with her sex offender sugar daddy over at all hours of the day and night. And, all of their 4.5 children.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:

    Jon and Dyna, I am not being lucky. I report "unauthorize" people that I see in my section 8 where I live. I hope you understand what is an "unauthorize occupant"
    If the neighbor "guests" cannot show the Housing their address of where they come from. Then that means my neighbor is giving them shelter, and this does not equal to "Guests"

    You're lucky that, in section 8, a crying baby a neighbor has as a guest is all you've had to deal with. Usually section 8 has plenty of thugs, drugs, sex offenders, and other unsavory people that wind up as your neighbors.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y

    Correction; Under HUD regulations sex offenses, drug convictions and crimnal records for violent offenses or drugs are issues that will keep anyone from receiving section 8 or PHA assistance, so, if any are there, it's not the section 8 tenant.

    Yes, this thread brings back memories of the logic employed by Sec. 8 and PHA tenants, memories that could have remained uncovered for the rest of my days.

    Does anyone have grammar check, some of this is killing me.... :)

    1
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Bill Gulley:
    Correction; Under HUD regulations sex offenses, drug convictions and crimnal records for violent offenses or drugs are issues that will keep anyone from receiving section 8 or PHA assistance, so, if any are there, it's not the section 8 tenant.

    Yes, this thread brings back memories of the logic employed by Sec. 8 and PHA tenants, memories that could have remained uncovered for the rest of my days.

    Does anyone have grammar check, some of this is killing me.... :)

    Ah, glad regulations changed. What about their unreported live-in boyfriends? Our local ghetto is filled with women on welfare... and their sugar daddy ghetto boyfriends. The place smells like Woodstock and is just scary looking.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    I don't know how to quote here. But to John, you wrong again. You said: A "guests" crying baby all I can do is deal with"
    Here I give you the response words of the housing owner. He said " You have the rights to call the police and report any disruptive noise at night whether that is from a guests or even a resident there"
    So according to this, who say I have to suck it up and deal with it Jon?

    And Jon, once this neighbor cannot prove her "guests" current address, she is giving them shelter overnight, they will become "unauthorize occupant", and you as landlord know the legal rules about this. Open your eyes wide and see who will be getting in trouble, me or the neighbor.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:
    I don't know how to quote here. But to John, you wrong again. You said: A "guests" crying baby all I can do is deal with"
    Here I give you the response words of the housing owner. He said " You have the rights to call the police and report any disruptive noise at night whether that is from a guests or even a resident there"
    So according to this, who say I have to suck it up and deal with it Jon?

    Calling 911 about a crying baby would do absolutely nothing.

    What would they do, give the baby a fine for crying? Crying babies are considered part of life. A loud party next door 911 could do something about, but... there's nothing they can do about a crying baby.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Unreported live in boyfriends, easy, put them on the lease, count their income. Then they will become legal resident in section 8, simple as that. And before someone can be on the list, Housing authorities will check their background and make sure they qualify for section 8.
    But if you DID NOT report and give people shelter until they find a house. That is against the lease. Remember, you rent the place, you DO NOT own the property. What make you think you have the attitude to say "It is my house, I let anyone live in here"
    You can only said that if you BUY your own home. Never say that in section 8, it will only get the owner unhappy.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 82 posts · 7 votes
    13y

    Baby crying? Really? You were a baby once n I bet you cried. Wtf?!?

    1
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Gary Clark:
    Baby crying? Really? You were a baby once n I bet you cried. Wtf?!?

    Bahaha. :) Throw the baby in jail! It's a nuisance!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    You still don't get it huh Jon? Maybe you have a crying baby at home so you so defensive about a crying baby.
    Did I write "UNAUTHORIZE OCCUPANT" and "UNAUTHORIZE GUESTS" here?
    Police won't do anything but they will document it. And police report will be send to the owner, and the owner will be more upset why are this "Unauthorize" people including a crying baby are still in THEIR PROPERTY.
    You can defend crying baby all you want. But until they can prove that crying baby's parent current address, that baby are NOT welcome to this section 8 as a "shelter" guests.
    What make you think you rent a section 8 place, and you have the rights to bring in any baby or people you want to give them shelter?
    You say that to the owner face and let see how they will response to you.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:
    Unreported live in boyfriends, easy, put them on the lease, count their income. Then they will become legal resident in section 8, simple as that. And before someone can be on the list, Housing authorities will check their background and make sure they qualify for section 8.
    But if you DID NOT report and give people shelter until they find a house. That is against the lease. Remember, you rent the place, you DO NOT own the property. What make you think you have the attitude to say "It is my house, I let anyone live in here"
    You can only said that if you BUY your own home. Never say that in section 8, it will only get the owner unhappy.

    Everyone follows the lease and reports their live-in boyfriends?

    Only in dreamland where pigs fly, babies don't cry, everyone actually works, and no one lurks. That would be nice, wouldn't it?

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Calling 911? Jon, you are upset that these people are "UNAUTHORIZE", and you not wining the legal reasoning.
    I never call 911, so please don't put words in my mouth. I just call the local city police and report "Unauthorize" people in section 8 housing apartments, and the police will make sure this report will get to the owner hands.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Baby will be OUT because this baby and their parents and not authorize. The HUD have the rights to do that, anyone unauthorize people they can ask to be OUT right now, right at this second.
    Since you defend unauthorize baby so much, maybe you should go cry to HUD and beg them to chance the laws about have "unauthorize occupant" in their section 8 property.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:
    You still don't get it huh Jon? Maybe you have a crying baby at home so you so defensive about a crying baby.
    Did I write "UNAUTHORIZE OCCUPANT" and "UNAUTHORIZE GUESTS" here?
    Police won't do anything but they will document it. And police report will be send to the owner, and the owner will be more upset why are this "Unauthorize" people including a crying baby are still in THEIR PROPERTY.
    You can defend crying baby all you want. But until they can prove that crying baby's parent current address, that baby are NOT welcome to this section 8 as a "shelter" guests.
    What make you think you rent a section 8 place, and you have the rights to bring in any baby or people you want to give them shelter?
    You say that to the owner face and let see how they will response to you.

    You've already said the neighbor is allowed 14 days worth of overnight guests per their lease.

    Thus, the owner allows 14 days worth of overnight guests.

    The baby is an overnight guest.

    Thus, the baby can stay there for 14 overnight visits per the owner's lease.

    The neighbor can bring in 14 days worth of overnight guests per their lease-- hence, that's the neighbor's "right" to have 14 days worth of overnight guests (and babies).

    You'll have to wait out the 14 days then complain more.

    You're lucky a baby is the most of your worries in section 8.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    Eileen N. - I truly hope that none of your family or friends has an event like fire occur to their home, because the way you have posted here, you could not give them "shelter" now until they find another place to live ...

    2
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:
    Baby will be OUT because this baby and their parents and not authorize. The HUD have the rights to do that, anyone unauthorize people they can ask to be OUT right now, right at this second.
    Since you defend unauthorize baby so much, maybe you should go cry to HUD and beg them to chance the laws about have "unauthorize occupant" in their section 8 property.

    Good luck with that. You said the lease allows 14 nights worth of overnight guests. The baby is a guest, thus can stay 14 nights.

    I don't care if the overnight guest is a baby, a man, a woman, or an oompa-loompa. You apparently have a lease that allows 14 nights worth of overnight guests, and you're stuck with that.

    Or, you could, say, Google and better your life: indeed.com, careerbuilder.com.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Jon, I say they allow 14 days guests if they can prove that they are GUESTS.

    Jon, please read this:
    "If you do not have an unauthorized occupant, you need to first find out exactly who the housing authority thinks is your unauthorized guest. Once you know who the housing authority thinks is living with you, you should gather evidence to show that the person does not live with you. Examples of this type of evidence include the following:

    A copy of that person's lease showing where they do live.
    A copy of that person's driver's license with an address clearly indicated.
    Copies of the outside of envelopes addressed to that person, such as utility bills, car payments, or credit card bills.
    A signed statement by the person that says he or she does not live with you and giving his or her actual address.
    Once you have the evidence, write a letter to the housing authority and explain the situation. Include copies of your evidence and a clear explanation about what the situation is. Keep a copy of this letter and whatever else you send with it for yourself. You can also request a meeting to describe your situation and evidence."

    This baby and baby parents are NOW not a guests anymore until they can prove their current residents address. And until they prove that, they not welcome to stay here overnight.
    The reasons why the Housing Authorities have the rights to request them to prove their guests status is because the neighbor say "they staying with her until they find a house"
    That sentence saying by the neighbors give the Housing authorities to believe that she is shelter them until they find a place. That is not equal to guest.
    You just don't get it do you Jon?

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
    Eileen N. - I truly hope that none of your family or friends has an event like fire occur to their home, because the way you have posted here, you could not give them "shelter" now until they find another place to live ...

    For sure.

    I would understand if it was a loud party or something illegal that could be solved. But, babies cry. Babies crying is not illegal, nor is it a lease violation of quiet enjoyment as a tenant can't change their behavior with a baby. This lady's lease apparently allows 14 days worth of overnight guests. Why not ignore the baby crying for those 14 days worth of overnight guests, or go to the dollar store and buy $1 ear plugs for those 2 weeks. If I was getting free housing from section 8, I would put up with the baby. And, the bum baby mommas. And, the thug ghetto baby daddies. And, the other unemployed vagrants that run through there. Compared to the other non-sense that happens there, I would welcome the baby. At least, for the 14 days. And, the daytime guests? People are allowed daytime guests.

    Where's the popcorn? This is classic.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:
    Jon, I say they allow 14 days guests if they can prove that they are GUESTS.

    Guests within limits don't have to prove anything.

    If you have a family member come stay a few nights with you or 14 days, that's a guest.

    An unauthorized occupant is someone who moves in and permanently lives somewhere.

    0
    Topic locked