Section 8: Tenant having loud "Overnight Guests" , Report them?

Section 8: Tenant having loud "Overnight Guests" , Report them?

Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes

Argg!! Hate living in Section 8 low income housing, so many problems, but since I'm poor, Guess I have to suck up to it.
Since last week, I have a problem with my neighbor (who are also a tenant on section 8 housing like myself).
My neighbor is having over "Overnight guests" including an infant baby that cries on and off throughout the whole night.
Last night I called the police at 2am, police said they cannot do much on baby crying. Police and I talk to the neighbor, she said her "overnight guests" are staying with her until they find a house. She even give me attitude and dare me to go complaint to the manager.
Which I will on Monday, we live in Section 8 there are rules on having overnight guests over on certain amount of days. And her overnight guests baby is crying at night which effect my sleep.
Should I talk to the manager first? Or contact directly to the Housing Authorities?
Thanks.
And I believe that I should not be force to tollerate disruptive noise from "overnight guests" of a neighbor.
If the guests are Not authorize tenants in this housing complex, and they making noise, I think I should report them. Maybe contact HUD is better?

0
Topic locked
401 views

Most Popular Reply

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
13y

Thread closed.

8
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

150 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Jon get over it, you LOST. The baby and parents are OUT, they not here overnight anymore.
    and please re-read this
    This baby and baby parents are NOW not a guests anymore until they can prove their current residents address (such as mail, bills going to their current rent/house". And until they prove that, they not welcome to stay here overnight.
    The reasons why the Housing Authorities have the rights to request them to prove their guests status is because the neighbor say "they staying with her until they find a house"
    That sentence saying by the neighbors give the Housing authorities to believe that she is shelter them until they find a place. That is not equal to guest.

    If you don't like that you lost, please call HUD and cry to them that an unauthorize baby , Haha!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:
    Jon get over it, you LOST. The baby and parents are OUT, they not here overnight anymore.
    and please re-read this
    This baby and baby parents are NOW not a guests anymore until they can prove their current residents address (such as mail, bills going to their current rent/house". And until they prove that, they not welcome to stay here overnight.
    The reasons why the Housing Authorities have the rights to request them to prove their guests status is because the neighbor say "they staying with her until they find a house"
    That sentence saying by the neighbors give the Housing authorities to believe that she is shelter them until they find a place. That is not equal to guest.

    If you don't like that you lost, please call HUD and cry to them that an unauthorize baby , Haha!

    The babies moved out within the past 60 seconds? Congratulations.

    Then why were you complaining that you'll need to call 911 tonight about a crying baby?

    0
    Topic locked
  • Homeowner · El Paso, TX · Member since 2012 · 81 posts · 22 votes
    13y

    Must. Stop. Reading. Eileens comments. IQ... Dropping...

    5
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:
    Calling 911? Jon, you are upset that these people are "UNAUTHORIZE", and you not wining the legal reasoning.
    I never call 911, so please don't put words in my mouth. I just call the local city police and report "Unauthorize" people in section 8 housing apartments, and the police will make sure this report will get to the owner hands.

    That's quite a waste of precious emergency personnel resources.

    All this for a crying baby.

    Wow.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Elliot Mendoza:
    Must. Stop. Reading. Eileens comments. IQ... Dropping...

    Can we please raise our taxes? I want our babies to get a better education.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Guest within limits don't have to prove anything that if no one bring it to the attention to the Housing authorities.
    You want to cry, cry on why the neighbor tell the police that "her guests are staying there with her until they find a home"
    Too bad that got documented and report to housing.

    And Jon, you lost, baby are not here anymore overnight.

    And the 14 days guests rules are an example of Legal Aid in San Mateo County, I give it as an example when I talk about how long can an overnight guests be stay.

    I don't live in San Mateo County, that 14 days guests don't apply here.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y

    Apparently the baby and parents moved out in the past 60 seconds. Just minutes ago Eileen was saying the owner said it's her "right" to call 911 over a crying baby tonight.

    Suddenly, the baby and parents apparently ran with great hurry far, far away, never to be heard from again. Gone. Never to set food inside the section 8 welfare housing again. All in 60 seconds.

    Can you even put a baby in a car seat in 60 seconds?

    I guess the problem is solved for Eileen.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:

    I don't live in San Mateo County, that 14 days guests don't apply here.

    All this time you've been saying there's an overnight guest limit of 14 days. And, it doesn't apply to you?

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Huh? Where did I write that I called 911 over a crying baby last night? Can you please quote me?
    You said there nothing I can do about crying baby. So I give you what the housing owner say that I have the rights to report or call police on any noise late at night, whether that is a guests or even if it a resident here.
    NO where I said I call the police last night.

    I call the police ONE TIME. And the neighbor was not smart when she say her "guests staying with her until they find a house"
    That sentence only bring up suspicious to the housing authorities that she have an intentions to give shelter to someone.

    And remember, section 8 apartment are not her house. Don't give the attitude that she owns the place Jon.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Jon, I post that San Meteo County PDF file on Saturday, because on Saturday, weekend I have no way to contact the owner, the Housing Authorities to talk about my situation.
    I did contact them on Monday report this situation and they are inspecting it and solving it.

    Again, please read this
    You said there nothing I can do about crying baby. So I give you what the housing owner say that I have the rights to report or call police on any noise late at night, whether that is a guests or even if it a resident here.
    NO where I said I call the police last night.

    I call the police ONE TIME. And the neighbor was not smart when she say her "guests staying with her until they find a house"
    That sentence only bring up suspicious to the housing authorities that she have an intentions to give shelter to someone.

    And remember, section 8 apartment are not her house. Don't give the attitude that she owns the place Jon.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:

    I call the police ONE TIME. And the neighbor was not smart when she say her "guests staying with her until they find a house" That sentence only bring up suspicious to the housing authorities that she have an intentions to give shelter to someone.

    You actually called the police about a crying baby?

    Wow. What is this world coming to.

    Apparently the baby learned how to walk, talk, and drive all in the past 60 seconds so you'll never have to hear that baby again. That is, until the next baby and/or partier and/or thug and/or bum comes along and makes noise.

    AH, the wind is making noise!! Oh, someone's guest has noisy diarrhea. 911!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    I talk to the owner about this, and I report the neighbor.
    When I talk to the owner, the owner ask me for the police report number, so they can pull up the records of the police report.
    The owner also tell me, I have the rights to call the police on any noise late at night, even if that person is a tenant here.
    That was all on Monday morning when I complaint to the Housing authorities and owner.

    Because you said I just have to deal with baby crying noise, so I response back to you what the owner say about my rights to call the police or make reporting.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y

    Better yet, what if the baby has noisy diarrhea, and cries because of it?

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    You damn right, I call the police, and I am glad I call the police. Now bring it to the attention of housing authorities for them to check on "someone who have the intentions to give people shelter without reporting."

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:

    The owner also tell me, I have the rights to call the police on any noise late at night, even if that person is a tenant here.

    Like I said, what a waste of precious emergency personnel resources.

    The police aren't going to solve a crying baby. A crying baby is part of life. A noisy party and/or thug deal is not party of life.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:
    You damn right, I call the police, and I am glad I call the police. Now bring it to the attention of housing authorities for them to check on "someone who have the intentions to give people shelter without reporting."

    You just said the baby and it's parents are gone already. In the past 60 seconds. Why are they checking on someone again if the baby is suddenly, in the past few minutes, inexplicably gone?

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Baby can cry all they want, my other section 8 neighbor who live there 15 years like me. I witness my neighbor pregnant and give birth and now the baby is 10 year olds. And I watch and hear that baby grow up. That is my other section 8 neighbor.
    Her baby cries, sure, but her baby are a LEGAL RESIDENT here, that is different compared to an "UNAUTHORIZE GUESTS" and an "UNAUTHORIZE OCCUPANT"

    And don't be so stupid when you living in section and you give the attitude that is YOUR HOME and you can shelter anyone. And don't even be more stupid to tell the police "that they staying with you until they find a home"
    That only give Housing authorities the impression that YOU have the INTENTIONS to shelter someone. And what worst is YOU Did NOT even report.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:
    Baby can cry all they want, my other section 8 neighbor who live there 15 years like me.

    Wow, you've lived in section 8 housing for 15 years?

    That's very sad.

    I suggest reading Dave Ramsey's book that others mentioned. And, the past hour(s) you've spent here could be some extra work hours to better your own life and move away from welfare housing. Then, you could own your own home and support your life, doing whatever you want as you own your own house.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Jon, even if the baby and the parents are GONE. They still checking because this going on since last week, and it was NOT report or bring up to the notice to Housing authorities that she helping someone to let them stay over until they find a place.

    Jon, you really need to know section 8 strict policies. You can get away with things if no one report and you can hide very well. But if someone did report, even if you get rid of the unauthorize guests, you still responsible for why you letting them shelter and not letting Housing knows.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Jon, as you say. Anyone can have guest on daytime everyday if they want. Neighbor can have the baby there on daytime, but they just cannot sleep over night unless the housing notice.
    Some housing are strict than others. For example San Mateo County say you don't have to report until after 14 days there. But there other housing that say if your guests are there 3 consecutive overnights, you must go down to the housing office and let them be aware about it.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    I really don't know how the housing authorities solve this issue. I written in my other posts that it is Confidential with them and the neighbor.
    But they did tell me that they can be sure that the baby won't be crying anymore at night. And is true, there was no more baby crying last night.
    So I guess the baby is there daytime but left once the "visiting guests hours" are over.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 31 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Jon K.:
    Originally posted by Eileen N.:
    Baby can cry all they want, my other section 8 neighbor who live there 15 years like me.

    Wow, you've lived in section 8 housing for 15 years?

    That's very sad.

    I suggest reading Dave Ramsey's book that others mentioned. And, the past hour(s) you've spent here could be some extra work hours to better your own life and move away from welfare housing. Then, you could own your own home and support your life, doing whatever you want as you own your own house.

    I agree with Jon completely. Eileen has it ever occurred to you that this unauthorized guest may have nowhere else to go? She may have been kicked out of her parents home or maybe she's a battered woman fleeing her abuser. Try to have some compassion, you dont know what her or your neighbors are going through.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    The guests were 3 people. A father, a mother, and an infant baby.
    Why are they staying there until they find a house?
    A father don't work? Lost his job? If so, they can get welfare. Infant babies are qualify for welfare if the parents lost their job.
    Why 3 people family staying in my neighbor section 8 apartment?
    Are they people that just come from Vietnam and not U.S citizenship?
    All this are just examples I'm saying to "why" are my neighbor give them shelter until they find a home.

    Do this ever occur to you that this 3 people are just abuse the section 8 system and thinking that they can stay at my neighbor place while enjoying their time to find a house?

    Housing authorities say they looking into this, and solving it. They cannot tell me the details because it is Confidential. So the answer to these questions, I might never know.
    But I can guaranteee that as long as my neighbor are still recieve federal voucher section 8 paying for her. She will have to follow the rules.

    And some place are 14 days guests, but some place that if anyone stay 3 consecutive days are consider unauthorize guests or unauthorize occupant. It just all depend on how each owner write their rules.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Any landlord here, really, would you allow 3 people guests: Mom, Dad, infant baby. Staying in your property until they find a place to stay?

    Section 8 are free utilities, these 3 guests are on the daily basic use federal paying utilities. Anything happen to these 3 people while in this section 8 apartments, who is responsible? The government already help them pay the rent, why are they now have to help 3 other people here? What make you think the Housing Authorities don't have any rights into checking this situation? Especially now I have report, you think housing authorities would just pretend it never happend just because these 3 people guest are not sleeping there over night anymore?

    0
    Topic locked
  • Westminster, CA · Member since 2012 · 86 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    I live in California, and I can guarantee you the welfare system here that any infant children are qualify for welfare and medicare unless they do not have a legal immigrant status and an U.S citizenship.
    These 3 people guests can just go get welfare right now and rent a place. No need to stay in someone else section 8 apartment.

    So Dyna, you telling me they have no where else to go is not a legit argument, even if you bring this to COURT.

    0
    Topic locked