Officially a Landlord!

Officially a Landlord!

Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 59 posts · 59 votes

Super excited, officially rented out my first property! It's a single-family home in TX, and the deposit has been paid. Wanted to share some things I learned and that I would implement/do differently next time. Down the road, I'd love to use property management, but I wanted to do this myself the first time to learn and also save some money. 

Listing the Property
1. I had the best luck on Zillow (it's free for your first property) and Facebook marketplace. I also posted on Craigslist and got 0 contacts. 
2. I posted all the information in my FB posts including requirements for renting the house, price, features, link to zillow, etc. I would rather only have qualified people who read my post message me instead of being bombarded by basic stuff. 
3. My criteria for renting the house was the usual.... no evictions, good credit, no criminal background, 3x of monthly rent is the minimum income. Sound past landlord references, sound employer references, and willing to get renter's insurance. I read online that in TX you must clearly state your requirements. 
4. Take great photos. Great photos make a huge difference. My listing was the top on Zillow and I attribute it to great pics. 

Showings
1. Highly recommend scheduling an open house type situation, or, if Covid limits this, have back to back appointments for 15 minutes. No one spent more than 15 minutes at the house. 
2. If someone messages you on Zillow just requesting a showing, email them back something like this: "Thank you for your inquiry and interest in this home. Can you please confirm you have read, understand, and meet the requirements in this listing? We are available for showings Thursday afternoon at 1 or 1:30 pm". You could also not send the times and wait for their response. A lot of people will just not respond because they will then read your requirements and realize they don't qualify. 
3. Make sure the place is nice for showings. We still live here so we just power cleaned it and kept it nice for the showings. Obviously your stuff will still be in the house, but keeping it super tidy makes a difference. 

Application/Lease/Deposit

1. I had my applicants apply through Zillow. It had everything I needed including background and credit checks. This was easy and cheap for the tenants. I ended up with 10 applicants total. 
2. Make sure you call the employers and past landlords. I had some people be super sketchy about this. Some list their friends as the employer. If they are odd or weird about this, consider it a red flag.
3. I had a couple who had great references and outstanding credit. They were really happy when I told them they were selected, I expected them to sign right away. Naive on my part. They ghosted me for 36 hours, finally responded to my follow up saying they decided to move to a different state instead of TX. Next time, I gave the tenant a 24 hour window to sign. You could also tell tenants the leases are sent out to multiple tenants and you'll be signing (binding) the one that is sent back on a first come first serve basis. This might be a little risky for some, but I saw other's saying they do this. Have the tenants sign first then you regardless.
4. Tell tenants before they sign a lease that any deposits are due upon signing. Same day. No wiggle room. 
5. One gray area I came across was denying people based on credit. Apparently you have to send a letter and their report while others say not to do this. I didn't deny anyone solely on credit (ie, they were also evicted or were also not making the required income), so I simply said we are moving forward with other applicants. 

Other
1. People will lie to you! I had some applicants who confirmed they read, understood, and met my criteria, yet when they applied they clearly did not. Simply tell them you have other applicants that meet your criteria. 
2. Be responsive to people. Treat them fairly and with the timeliness you'd expect as well. Also, bee polite but short 
3. Hold firm on your requirements. If you say 3x monthly income, and someone is at 2.5X, don't accept them. This could be discriminatory and you're making the waters muddy for yourself. 
4. Be patient, the right tenants will come. It took me 10 days to rent this home because I was super picky and then my first applicants kinda left me hanging for a day and a half. 

I will say I've listened to several real estate investing books, including rental books, and the BiggerPockets podcast for 2 years. Listening to everything and actually putting it into action is a whole other ball game! Looking forward to getting my next property.

    30Reply
    176 views

    Most Popular Reply

    Member since 2020 · 27 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    Congratulations and what a great, informative post! Love all the lessons learned. Might just bookmark this for when I am in your shoes and becoming a landlord for the first time.

    What's next for you? Actively looking for your next rental or going to sit on this one a while and see how it pans out?

    See this reply in the discussion

    40 Replies

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      6y

      @Amanda Chandler. Congratulations! You've clearly done your homework. I'll say, you do not need a Property Manager. Hell, if you lived near me, I'd hire you to manage my properties! Lol. Seriously, good job. 

    • Real Estate Consultant · Joppa, MD · Member since 2015 · 218 posts · 178 votes
      6y

      Congratulations @Amanda Chandler, you sound like a seasoned PM for sure! Best of luck to you :-)

      Laticia

    • Bill HamptonBusiness Member
      Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
      6y

      Congratulations Amanda. 

      Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
    • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 59 posts · 59 votes
      6y

      Thanks everyone, appreciate it! Not sure I want to be a PM long term, we will see where this takes me.

    • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 299 posts · 476 votes
      6y

      Congratulations @Amanda Chandler Thank you so much for sharing your experience and the lessons you learnt along the way! Good luck to you!

    • Rental Property Investor · Westminster, MD · Member since 2014 · 165 posts · 221 votes
      6y

      @Amanda Jarrett

      Congratulations! Looks and sounds like you took all the information out there and followed through on all of the good advise.

    • Thousand Oaks, CA · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 7 votes
      6y

      Congratulations @Amanda Jarrett I think you handled your first rental perfectly. Not sure that you would want to rush someone into signing a lease but 48 hours seems fair.

    • Member since 2020 · 27 posts · 15 votes
      6y

      Congratulations and what a great, informative post! Love all the lessons learned. Might just bookmark this for when I am in your shoes and becoming a landlord for the first time.

      What's next for you? Actively looking for your next rental or going to sit on this one a while and see how it pans out?

    • New to Real Estate · Canton, OH · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 3 votes
      6y

      Congratulations! I can’t wait to get started. 

    • Real Estate Agent · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 2 votes
      6y

      congrats, thanks for sharing your experience 

    • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 59 posts · 59 votes
      6y

      @Patrick McGrath Thanks appreciate it and all the knowledge out there definitely helps! 

    • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 59 posts · 59 votes
      6y

      @Daren Weintraub I am still a bit unsure as to how I would handle this going forward. I'm a really honest person so I told people "hey I have a lease out to someone else, if they don't sign you can definitely apply", I did lose people doing this though. I liked someone's idea of saying here's the lease, having the tenant sign, and then you signing last while telling them it's first come first serve if multiple interested parties. I like the efficiency and not losing any interested people, but could see this being problematic at the same time. Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated!

    • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 59 posts · 59 votes
      6y

      @Jason PedersenThank you, that's exactly what I hoped for someone to take away from this and shorten the learning curve.

      As for next up for me, we are moving from TX to Knoxville, TN. Under contract on a primary residence right now.I did rent my primary residence out here in TX. Numbers worked and I have a great tax incentive on it since I made a lot less money 3 years ago when I bought this house. Once we close on the new house in TN, I will then likely either save up some money and look for a small rental near the University of TN that we could do some work on and BRRR. My other interest is in development. I might look for some land and see if I could get some investors. I love modern and contemporary, would love to offer that type of home as new construction to buyers in the 300-500s vs having to buy their own land and do something 100% custom. We will see though!

    • Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 6 votes
      6y

      @Amanda Jarrett Congrats ... very informative

    • Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 6 votes
      6y

      Congrats and thank you for sharing! I'm working to get my first property listed as well and can relate to a lot of what you posted and will definitely heed your warnings on the lease signing once I get there. I love the idea of having people confirm that they read the requirements before scheduling a showing, definitely going to add that to my processes. I also would add - have a word doc or similar handy for common responses so you can quickly copy and paste and respond to a bunch of messages (especially if you decide to use Facebook marketplace). 

    • Flipper/Rehabber · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 268 posts · 152 votes
      6y

      @Amanda Jarrett great job Amanda!

    • Real Estate Agent · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2014 · 486 posts · 303 votes
      6y

      @Amanda Jarrett congrats and great tips!

    • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 59 posts · 59 votes
      6y
    • Joe SplitrockPro Member
      Moderator
      Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
      6y

      @Amanda Chandler you have a great understanding for your first leasing experience, so great job! I will give a little constructive feedback. I would not offer leases to more than person at a time. That is dangerous from a legal standpoint. Offer to the preferred tenant and give them 24 hours provide deposit and sign a deposit to hold agreement. Deposit to hold can be the full deposit amount or even something smaller like $500. It secures the property for them and is non-refundable if they back out and don't sign a lease. This gives you time to prepare the lease. As far as denying based on credit, you are required to send a letter if you pulled the credit report. I believe through Zillow, the tenant pulls the report and shares it with you. That is different and doesn't trigger requirement for you to send a letter, because they saw the entire report. If you are getting their social security number and pulling it, then yes you need to send a letter and you really should send it to everyone you deny in that case.

    • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 59 posts · 59 votes
      6y

      @Joe Splitrock Thank you for your comments, appreciate it. I was a little hesitant on the offering multiple leases out as well. I did not do this but was given feedback from other landlords that they did this to avoid the situation I got in with my first tenants who took 36 hours. I like your approach. What do you tell other applicants in the meantime while waiting for someone to sign a leas? 
      Thank you for clarifying the credit stuff as well. It was automatically pulled and sent to me, and I am guessing them. I was not 100% sure if Zillow sent it to the applicant as well so I was hesitant. 

    • Cleveland, OH · Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 29 votes
      6y

      @Amanda Jarrett congratulations! This is something that I’d like to get into somewhere down the line. Thank you for sharing all of the info.

    • Specialist · Plano, TX · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 861 votes
      6y

      Congratulations on this huge accomplishment. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and process with us. 

    • Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 6 votes
      6y

      @Amanda Jarrett Thank you for the insight. We’re looking at purchasing our first rental so this is super helpful information. Congratulations!

    • Jennifer T.Pro Member
      Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
      6y

      Wow!  I'm impressed at all the great lessons and tips you learned with your first listing.  It definitely took me longer than that!

      Good call on keeping your eye out for fake references.  I've been running into more of that lately with landlord references.  Obviously my first preference is people not lie on their applications.  But it is almost fun when I ask, "For verification purposes, can you tell me the name of the business you own this property under?"  And then be met with stunned silence or a muttered, "Uh, I don't remember."  Or I just get hung up on.

    • Joe SplitrockPro Member
      Moderator
      Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
      6y
      Originally posted by @Amanda Chandler:

      @Joe Splitrock Thank you for your comments, appreciate it. I was a little hesitant on the offering multiple leases out as well. I did not do this but was given feedback from other landlords that they did this to avoid the situation I got in with my first tenants who took 36 hours. I like your approach. What do you tell other applicants in the meantime while waiting for someone to sign a leas? 
      Thank you for clarifying the credit stuff as well. It was automatically pulled and sent to me, and I am guessing them. I was not 100% sure if Zillow sent it to the applicant as well so I was hesitant. 

       You can tell a second applicant they are approved, but as a backup if the top candidate falls through. Of course they will look elsewhere, but if you are securing the deposit within 24 hours, that usually gives you time to switch to the second candidate if the main ones back out. It is a delicate situation, you don't want to scare away the primary or secondary candidate. Getting a deposit to hold should be pretty easy though if the people really want it. 

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.