Gave my notice - Leaving security for happiness

Gave my notice - Leaving security for happiness

Rental Property Investor 路 South shore, MA 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes

A lot of people might disagree with my decision, or question it. But I am leaving a family business that I have been a part of for the last 6.5 years. I finally gave a months notice last week. This has been debated in my head for a very long time. 

Am I financially free? Definitely not. Has Real estate given me the opportunity to pursue what I love? Yes. 

Over the past 3 years I have invested part time in Real Estate (a full time side hustle basically). I will own 3 rentals next month, and will be selling my first house to have a good chunk of reserves for when I leave this job. I have also started my own construction business, and have been doing side jobs over the past year. People tend to like my work, so I have jobs lined up all next month going into December. I also have a subcontractor position working part time for a reputable contractor in the area. 

I have a lot of security at my current job. A steady paycheck making 75k a year, Health insurance, company vehicle, and a company cell phone. But I am also tied to a leash, and working a job I don't like. I am constantly waiting to lock up the shop so I can get home to work on Real Estate. I am currently working 11 hour days, driving 50 minutes to and from work every day. Over the past 6.5 years I have seen my mental health deteriorate and my eyes have become tired. Im 32 years old, but I feel 55 here.

When im working on real estate I feel alive, and intelligent. I get to be creative and call the shots. I get to watch my vision come to fruition. For me, that is well worth the pay cut and leaving. I will have 60 more hours a week to pursue and find success in what I enjoy. I can spend more time with my family, and watch my son grow.

Will it be a tough year, two years, three years? I believe there will be a lot of challenging and pressing times. But I know that it will be worth it in the end. Real estate has really given me the opportunity to make this decision. Im not financially free by any means, but the progress Ive made so far will give me more opportunity. If I never invested in real estate as a side hustle, I would never be able to take this risk.

I am grateful for Biggerpockets, and the community here. Especially all the help ive received over the years. Especially @Steve Vaughan & @JD Martin. Heres to many more years of challenges, and happiness! Exciting but scary times, and I am hopeful it will turn out to be the best decision I ever made. 

134Reply
297 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant 路 Summerlin, NV 路 Member since 2014 路 45k+ posts 路 66k+ votes
5y

Welcome to the world of the self employed  .. right now the construction trades to me is a never out of a job situation given the shortage of good reliable contractors and sub trades..  

Being self employed brings on a whole new set of risks emotions worries and when it goes good feeling of success. 

My self I have been self employed my entire life basically.. starting with Fuller Brush at 14  real estate sales at 18 so I know nothing else.. And when things are not going good in our industry I many times think back to being raised in Cupertino and watching Tech explode that I should have gone that route.. Gone into sales for one of the big tech companies.. But cant look back.  

Real Estate cycles in many markets so just make sure you have multiple income streams.. 

See this reply in the discussion

130 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor 路 Greer, SC 路 Member since 2014 路 13k+ posts 路 17k+ votes
    5y

    Congratulations on having the courage to go after your dreams and do what makes you happy.

    Sounds like you have thought this through and I'm sure you will be successful. 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 South shore, MA 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @John Underwood:

    Congratulations on having the courage to go after your dreams and do what makes you happy.

    Sounds like you have thought this through and I'm sure you will be successful. 

     Thank you John, I appreciate the kinds words!

  • Rental Property Investor 路 East Wenatchee, WA 路 Member since 2014 路 10k+ posts 路 16k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Brian Ellis:

    A lot of people might disagree with my decision, or question it. But I am leaving a family business that I have been a part of for the last 6.5 years. I finally gave a months notice last week. This has been debated in my head for a very long time. 

    Am I financially free? Definitely not. Has Real estate given me the opportunity to pursue what I love? Yes. 

    Over the past 3 years I have invested part time in Real Estate (a full time side hustle basically). I will own 3 rentals next month, and will be selling my first house to have a good chunk of reserves for when I leave this job. I have also started my own construction business, and have been doing side jobs over the past year. People tend to like my work, so I have jobs lined up all next month going into December. I also have a subcontractor position working part time for a reputable contractor in the area. 

    I have a lot of security at my current job. A steady paycheck making 75k a year, Health insurance, company vehicle, and a company cell phone. But I am also tied to a leash, and working a job I don't like. I am constantly waiting to lock up the shop so I can get home to work on Real Estate. I am currently working 11 hour days, driving 50 minutes to and from work every day. Over the past 6.5 years I have seen my mental health deteriorate and my eyes have become tired. Im 32 years old, but I feel 55 here.

    When im working on real estate I feel alive, and intelligent. I get to be creative and call the shots. I get to watch my vision come to fruition. For me, that is well worth the pay cut and leaving. I will have 60 more hours a week to pursue and find success in what I enjoy. I can spend more time with my family, and watch my son grow.

    Will it be a tough year, two years, three years? I believe there will be a lot of challenging and pressing times. But I know that it will be worth it in the end. Real estate has really given me the opportunity to make this decision. Im not financially free by any means, but the progress Ive made so far will give me more opportunity. If I never invested in real estate as a side hustle, I would never be able to take this risk.

    I am grateful for Biggerpockets, and the community here. Especially all the help ive received over the years. Especially @Steve Vaughan & @JD Martin. Heres to many more years of challenges, and happiness! Exciting but scary times, and I am hopeful it will turn out to be the best decision I ever made. 

    Proud for you, Brian! I know this was not an easy decision, especially leaving a family business. You have been considering this move for a while, but you've thought it over (and over and over again I know) and are making an informed and calculated decision.

    This takes guts, especially with a little one.  I admire that and did the same thing when my son was 18-months old 18 years ago. My family thought I was cray-cray all the way. 

    The worst that can happen? You realize it's not for you and you end up where you started - with a regular w-2 job again. Congratulations my friend.  Looking forward to following your progress.  Enjoy your time and projection freedom along the way馃憤

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant 路 Summerlin, NV 路 Member since 2014 路 45k+ posts 路 66k+ votes
    5y

    Welcome to the world of the self employed  .. right now the construction trades to me is a never out of a job situation given the shortage of good reliable contractors and sub trades..  

    Being self employed brings on a whole new set of risks emotions worries and when it goes good feeling of success. 

    My self I have been self employed my entire life basically.. starting with Fuller Brush at 14  real estate sales at 18 so I know nothing else.. And when things are not going good in our industry I many times think back to being raised in Cupertino and watching Tech explode that I should have gone that route.. Gone into sales for one of the big tech companies.. But cant look back.  

    Real Estate cycles in many markets so just make sure you have multiple income streams.. 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 South shore, MA 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:
    Originally posted by @Brian Ellis:

    A lot of people might disagree with my decision, or question it. But I am leaving a family business that I have been a part of for the last 6.5 years. I finally gave a months notice last week. This has been debated in my head for a very long time. 

    Am I financially free? Definitely not. Has Real estate given me the opportunity to pursue what I love? Yes. 

    Over the past 3 years I have invested part time in Real Estate (a full time side hustle basically). I will own 3 rentals next month, and will be selling my first house to have a good chunk of reserves for when I leave this job. I have also started my own construction business, and have been doing side jobs over the past year. People tend to like my work, so I have jobs lined up all next month going into December. I also have a subcontractor position working part time for a reputable contractor in the area. 

    I have a lot of security at my current job. A steady paycheck making 75k a year, Health insurance, company vehicle, and a company cell phone. But I am also tied to a leash, and working a job I don't like. I am constantly waiting to lock up the shop so I can get home to work on Real Estate. I am currently working 11 hour days, driving 50 minutes to and from work every day. Over the past 6.5 years I have seen my mental health deteriorate and my eyes have become tired. Im 32 years old, but I feel 55 here.

    When im working on real estate I feel alive, and intelligent. I get to be creative and call the shots. I get to watch my vision come to fruition. For me, that is well worth the pay cut and leaving. I will have 60 more hours a week to pursue and find success in what I enjoy. I can spend more time with my family, and watch my son grow.

    Will it be a tough year, two years, three years? I believe there will be a lot of challenging and pressing times. But I know that it will be worth it in the end. Real estate has really given me the opportunity to make this decision. Im not financially free by any means, but the progress Ive made so far will give me more opportunity. If I never invested in real estate as a side hustle, I would never be able to take this risk.

    I am grateful for Biggerpockets, and the community here. Especially all the help ive received over the years. Especially @Steve Vaughan & @JD Martin. Heres to many more years of challenges, and happiness! Exciting but scary times, and I am hopeful it will turn out to be the best decision I ever made. 

    Proud for you, Brian! I know this was not an easy decision, especially leaving a family business. You have been considering this move for a while, but you've thought it over (and over and over again I know) and are making an informed and calculated decision.

    This takes guts, especially with a little one.  I admire that and did the same thing when my son was 18-months old 18 years ago. My family thought I was cray-cray all the way. 

    The worst that can happen? You realize it's not for you and you end up where you started - with a regular w-2 job again. Congratulations my friend.  Looking forward to following your progress.  Enjoy your time and projection freedom along the way馃憤

    Thank you, Steve. And thanks for all the support help over the short time ive known you here.

    Seems as if we have a lot in a common. My little guy is just over a year old now, and that's my biggest concern is that hes safe and secure. 

    Im looking forward to my naps!

  • Rental Property Investor 路 South shore, MA 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    Welcome to the world of the self employed  .. right now the construction trades to me is a never out of a job situation given the shortage of good reliable contractors and sub trades..  

    Being self employed brings on a whole new set of risks emotions worries and when it goes good feeling of success. 

    My self I have been self employed my entire life basically.. starting with Fuller Brush at 14  real estate sales at 18 so I know nothing else.. And when things are not going good in our industry I many times think back to being raised in Cupertino and watching Tech explode that I should have gone that route.. Gone into sales for one of the big tech companies.. But cant look back.  

    Real Estate cycles in many markets so just make sure you have multiple income streams.. 

    I appreciate the advice, Jay. Im an entrepreneur at heart, and would much rather have it this way. 

    Like you mentioned, there is going to be its own set of challenges. Taxes, being organized, running a crew, dealing with customers, etc. So by no means am I expecting an easy road ahead of me. But I do believe I will be happier in the long run, and happier that I can dedicate more time to Real Estate. 

    I would like to someday be in a position where I can develop like you do.

  • New to Real Estate 路 Dallas, TX 路 Member since 2020 路 1 post 路 4 votes
    5y

    Congratulations! My Husband and I are both anxious to leave our time consuming W-2 jobs.  Currently, we have 2 doors but need more in order to maintain the lifestyle that we would like but we are both laser focused on reaching our goal.  Life is too short not to have the opportunity to fulfill your dreams, spend as much time as possible with the ones that we love, and to simply do whatever you want to do. I wish you much success and happiness.  

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant 路 Summerlin, NV 路 Member since 2014 路 45k+ posts 路 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Brian Ellis:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    Welcome to the world of the self employed  .. right now the construction trades to me is a never out of a job situation given the shortage of good reliable contractors and sub trades..  

    Being self employed brings on a whole new set of risks emotions worries and when it goes good feeling of success. 

    My self I have been self employed my entire life basically.. starting with Fuller Brush at 14  real estate sales at 18 so I know nothing else.. And when things are not going good in our industry I many times think back to being raised in Cupertino and watching Tech explode that I should have gone that route.. Gone into sales for one of the big tech companies.. But cant look back.  

    Real Estate cycles in many markets so just make sure you have multiple income streams.. 

    I appreciate the advice, Jay. Im an entrepreneur at heart, and would much rather have it this way. 

    Like you mentioned, there is going to be its own set of challenges. Taxes, being organized, running a crew, dealing with customers, etc. So by no means am I expecting an easy road ahead of me. But I do believe I will be happier in the long run, and happier that I can dedicate more time to Real Estate. 

    I would like to someday be in a position where I can develop like you do.

    Good luck as long as you see both sides of the coin and not just the blue sky up high.. I am sure you will be fine.. When I did development in CA and it was VERY hard I swore I would never do another one.. Thats why I started a timber and land company in 92.. Well by 98 I had bought two more developments in Oregon as regulations at the time were a fraction of CA.. And price points were not in the stratosphere but thats changed here in Oregon.. Regulation has somewhat caught up with other markets and land well in the sought after areas its pretty high 200 to 600k an acre or more.. But there are soooooo many ways to skin the real estate cat.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 路 15k+ posts 路 11k+ votes
    5y

    Hey 55 isn't that bad (or so I head-not quite there)!  You've clearly thought about it and planned for it, so good for you.  You are young and I'm sure if things don't go as planned, you can always find another job.  Construction is a great job to get into and will always be in demand.  Good luck!!!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant 路 Summerlin, NV 路 Member since 2014 路 45k+ posts 路 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:
    Originally posted by @Brian Ellis:

    A lot of people might disagree with my decision, or question it. But I am leaving a family business that I have been a part of for the last 6.5 years. I finally gave a months notice last week. This has been debated in my head for a very long time. 

    Am I financially free? Definitely not. Has Real estate given me the opportunity to pursue what I love? Yes. 

    Over the past 3 years I have invested part time in Real Estate (a full time side hustle basically). I will own 3 rentals next month, and will be selling my first house to have a good chunk of reserves for when I leave this job. I have also started my own construction business, and have been doing side jobs over the past year. People tend to like my work, so I have jobs lined up all next month going into December. I also have a subcontractor position working part time for a reputable contractor in the area. 

    I have a lot of security at my current job. A steady paycheck making 75k a year, Health insurance, company vehicle, and a company cell phone. But I am also tied to a leash, and working a job I don't like. I am constantly waiting to lock up the shop so I can get home to work on Real Estate. I am currently working 11 hour days, driving 50 minutes to and from work every day. Over the past 6.5 years I have seen my mental health deteriorate and my eyes have become tired. Im 32 years old, but I feel 55 here.

    When im working on real estate I feel alive, and intelligent. I get to be creative and call the shots. I get to watch my vision come to fruition. For me, that is well worth the pay cut and leaving. I will have 60 more hours a week to pursue and find success in what I enjoy. I can spend more time with my family, and watch my son grow.

    Will it be a tough year, two years, three years? I believe there will be a lot of challenging and pressing times. But I know that it will be worth it in the end. Real estate has really given me the opportunity to make this decision. Im not financially free by any means, but the progress Ive made so far will give me more opportunity. If I never invested in real estate as a side hustle, I would never be able to take this risk.

    I am grateful for Biggerpockets, and the community here. Especially all the help ive received over the years. Especially @Steve Vaughan & @JD Martin. Heres to many more years of challenges, and happiness! Exciting but scary times, and I am hopeful it will turn out to be the best decision I ever made. 

    Proud for you, Brian! I know this was not an easy decision, especially leaving a family business. You have been considering this move for a while, but you've thought it over (and over and over again I know) and are making an informed and calculated decision.

    This takes guts, especially with a little one.  I admire that and did the same thing when my son was 18-months old 18 years ago. My family thought I was cray-cray all the way. 

    The worst that can happen? You realize it's not for you and you end up where you started - with a regular w-2 job again. Congratulations my friend.  Looking forward to following your progress.  Enjoy your time and projection freedom along the way馃憤

    Not to change the subject Steve and I probably need to write a blog on this.. but as I sit here this morning reading the news.. there is going to be some very unique opportunities for guys like you that have advanced degrees in how to put real estate deals together.. I am already percolating on a new model.. I see one hedge fund that tried this idea in a different way than what I am thinking but for a local who is got it together should be a very nice addition to ones tool box.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 South shore, MA 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Alicia Nixon:

    Congratulations! My Husband and I are both anxious to leave our time consuming W-2 jobs.  Currently, we have 2 doors but need more in order to maintain the lifestyle that we would like but we are both laser focused on reaching our goal.  Life is too short not to have the opportunity to fulfill your dreams, spend as much time as possible with the ones that we love, and to simply do whatever you want to do. I wish you much success and happiness.  

     Thank you for the kind words, I wish you both the best! I agree. Life is too short. Do what you enjoy and make the most of it.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 South shore, MA 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    Hey 55 isn't that bad (or so I head-not quite there)!  You've clearly thought about it and planned for it, so good for you.  You are young and I'm sure if things don't go as planned, you can always find another job.  Construction is a great job to get into and will always be in demand.  Good luck!!!

     Thank you!! Correct, as others have mentioned, worst case is another full time W2 job.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 East Wenatchee, WA 路 Member since 2014 路 10k+ posts 路 16k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

    ABP- Aways Be Percolating.  A Heroes Home, JLH Capital Partners, now a pending new model.  Love the Ingenuity you continue to bring to your vocation, Jay!

  • Rental Property Investor 路 South shore, MA 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Brian Ellis:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    Welcome to the world of the self employed  .. right now the construction trades to me is a never out of a job situation given the shortage of good reliable contractors and sub trades..  

    Being self employed brings on a whole new set of risks emotions worries and when it goes good feeling of success. 

    My self I have been self employed my entire life basically.. starting with Fuller Brush at 14  real estate sales at 18 so I know nothing else.. And when things are not going good in our industry I many times think back to being raised in Cupertino and watching Tech explode that I should have gone that route.. Gone into sales for one of the big tech companies.. But cant look back.  

    Real Estate cycles in many markets so just make sure you have multiple income streams.. 

    I appreciate the advice, Jay. Im an entrepreneur at heart, and would much rather have it this way. 

    Like you mentioned, there is going to be its own set of challenges. Taxes, being organized, running a crew, dealing with customers, etc. So by no means am I expecting an easy road ahead of me. But I do believe I will be happier in the long run, and happier that I can dedicate more time to Real Estate. 

    I would like to someday be in a position where I can develop like you do.

    Good luck as long as you see both sides of the coin and not just the blue sky up high.. I am sure you will be fine.. When I did development in CA and it was VERY hard I swore I would never do another one.. Thats why I started a timber and land company in 92.. Well by 98 I had bought two more developments in Oregon as regulations at the time were a fraction of CA.. And price points were not in the stratosphere but thats changed here in Oregon.. Regulation has somewhat caught up with other markets and land well in the sought after areas its pretty high 200 to 600k an acre or more.. But there are soooooo many ways to skin the real estate cat.

    Ya I see plenty of opportunity where im from, towards Cape Cod, MA. There are a lot of wetlands, and marshes. In some areas 5 acres will pop up for under 175k. 

    Ive always thought about solar in these spots. Or similar uses where building is possible. 

  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent 路 Irvine, CA 路 Member since 2013 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis congrats on the change and headed towards your future in real estate and working as a GC. Doing what makes you feel alive and happy is worth more than any income off that family business job, or incentives they are giving you! Congrats! 

    The McKernan Group4.954 Reviews
  • Martin LindsayPro Member
    Investor 路 Charlotte, NC 路 Member since 2018 路 77 posts 路 41 votes
    5y

    Congrats Brian! You made a decision that you won't regret especially being aware of embracing the process and challenges to come. I actually did quite the same thing over a year ago. Worked at a great job where I was a top performer with good income, benefits etc. but I just didn't love it anymore and wanted to dive into real estate investing. I'm curious what is your plan of action or strategy once you jump ship? Flips? BRRRs? Rentals? 

  • Real Estate Investor 路 Springfield, MO 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    5y

    Congratulations on taking the dive!  

    I am curious about something in your OP.  You said "I will have 60 more hours a week to pursue and find success in what I enjoy. I can spend more time with my family, and watch my son grow."

    I'm curious how that is going to happen.  Were you working 60 hours a week at your $75,000/year job (which makes it really like having a $50,000/year full-time job plus a part-time $25,000/year job)?

    Also, now that you're on your own, won't you be working more hours in real estate to get your self-employed gig off the ground?

    I'd like to hear more about how this all is intended to work out.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Colorado Springs, CO 路 Member since 2018 路 682 posts 路 729 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis good for you Brian, I did this a little over a year ago and it was the best decision I ever made.

    It sounds like you鈥檙e doing it in a responsible manner with reserves, low overhead, multiple income streams, etc.

    It鈥檚 hard to get going but once you do you will never look back.

    Best of luck!

    Dan

  • Rental Property Investor 路 South shore, MA 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Martin Lindsay:

    Congrats Brian! You made a decision that you won't regret especially being aware of embracing the process and challenges to come. I actually did quite the same thing over a year ago. Worked at a great job where I was a top performer with good income, benefits etc. but I just didn't love it anymore and wanted to dive into real estate investing. I'm curious what is your plan of action or strategy once you jump ship? Flips? BRRRs? Rentals? 

    My strategy moving forward is going to be pursuing the company I started, getting my GC license, and keeping my rentals flowing.

    Without the steady W2 income on payroll I will be unable to receive any loans from the banks for about a year. But after about 12-18 months I should be able to receive a loan based on my bank statements (as long as Im brining in enough money).

    Once I have everything secure, and my GC license, I would like to develop and build my own buy and hold rentals. Or renovate distressed ones.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 South shore, MA 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Erik W.:

    Congratulations on taking the dive!  

    I am curious about something in your OP.  You said "I will have 60 more hours a week to pursue and find success in what I enjoy. I can spend more time with my family, and watch my son grow."

    I'm curious how that is going to happen.  Were you working 60 hours a week at your $75,000/year job (which makes it really like having a $50,000/year full-time job plus a part-time $25,000/year job)?

    Also, now that you're on your own, won't you be working more hours in real estate to get your self-employed gig off the ground?

    I'd like to hear more about how this all is intended to work out.

    Thank you, Eric. Yes realistically I was on payroll for 75k a year, but with the hours and commute I was actually making less in comparison to the traditional 40 hour work week. I was only able to dedicate about 20 extra hours a week over the last few years to fix up and rent out my properties. Most of the time, I was doing that on weekends and evenings during the week for a couple hours. So all in all, I have probably been working 75-80 hour weeks all along.

    Now that I will be off on my own, I will have all that extra time to dedicate towards what I enjoy. Ive achieved a decent amount in the limited time I have had in the past, so there is no reason for me to believe I cant achieve more AND have more time to spend with my family. 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 South shore, MA 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Daniel Haberkost:

    @Brian Ellis good for you Brian, I did this a little over a year ago and it was the best decision I ever made.

    It sounds like you鈥檙e doing it in a responsible manner with reserves, low overhead, multiple income streams, etc.

    It鈥檚 hard to get going but once you do you will never look back.

    Best of luck!

    Dan 

    Thank you so much! Looking forward to the future! 

  • Martin LindsayPro Member
    Investor 路 Charlotte, NC 路 Member since 2018 路 77 posts 路 41 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis Great plan! Gotta have something going to bring home the bacon. In my case I ended up pursuing BRRR rentals. All were successful, but I realized later than I should have done more flips in the beginning to get that rehab experience and generate more capital first. It's good you have a clear plan to fuel your growth. I wish you the best!

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor 路 San Antonio 路 Member since 2020 路 3k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    5y

    I look forward to hearing an update How things went 12 months from now. I鈥檓 sure you鈥檒l make the curve and if not there鈥檚 other jobs.;) 

  • Investor 路 Tampa, FL 路 Member since 2017 路 589 posts 路 251 votes
    5y

    You got this man, I have done the same and dived right in. Very scary but don't look back. It is what your thinking about when you get off of work so make it your full time and go hard at it. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor 路 Sioux Falls, SD 路 Member since 2015 路 9k+ posts 路 18k+ votes
    5y

    People think a W2 job is security, but it is really an illusion of security. Countless people have showed up at work one day thinking everything was fine and were out of work by the end of the day.

    When you are self employed you have full control and clarity on the situation. Be it good or bad, it is what you make of it. 

    You will do great. Based on what you said, it sounds like absolutely the best decision. I would tell you if I thought otherwise.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.