Gave my notice - Leaving security for happiness

Gave my notice - Leaving security for happiness

Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

A lot of people might disagree with my decision, or question it. But I am leaving a family business that I have been a part of for the last 6.5 years. I finally gave a months notice last week. This has been debated in my head for a very long time. 

Am I financially free? Definitely not. Has Real estate given me the opportunity to pursue what I love? Yes. 

Over the past 3 years I have invested part time in Real Estate (a full time side hustle basically). I will own 3 rentals next month, and will be selling my first house to have a good chunk of reserves for when I leave this job. I have also started my own construction business, and have been doing side jobs over the past year. People tend to like my work, so I have jobs lined up all next month going into December. I also have a subcontractor position working part time for a reputable contractor in the area. 

I have a lot of security at my current job. A steady paycheck making 75k a year, Health insurance, company vehicle, and a company cell phone. But I am also tied to a leash, and working a job I don't like. I am constantly waiting to lock up the shop so I can get home to work on Real Estate. I am currently working 11 hour days, driving 50 minutes to and from work every day. Over the past 6.5 years I have seen my mental health deteriorate and my eyes have become tired. Im 32 years old, but I feel 55 here.

When im working on real estate I feel alive, and intelligent. I get to be creative and call the shots. I get to watch my vision come to fruition. For me, that is well worth the pay cut and leaving. I will have 60 more hours a week to pursue and find success in what I enjoy. I can spend more time with my family, and watch my son grow.

Will it be a tough year, two years, three years? I believe there will be a lot of challenging and pressing times. But I know that it will be worth it in the end. Real estate has really given me the opportunity to make this decision. Im not financially free by any means, but the progress Ive made so far will give me more opportunity. If I never invested in real estate as a side hustle, I would never be able to take this risk.

I am grateful for Biggerpockets, and the community here. Especially all the help ive received over the years. Especially @Steve Vaughan & @JD Martin. Heres to many more years of challenges, and happiness! Exciting but scary times, and I am hopeful it will turn out to be the best decision I ever made. 

134Reply
366 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
6y

Welcome to the world of the self employed  .. right now the construction trades to me is a never out of a job situation given the shortage of good reliable contractors and sub trades..  

Being self employed brings on a whole new set of risks emotions worries and when it goes good feeling of success. 

My self I have been self employed my entire life basically.. starting with Fuller Brush at 14  real estate sales at 18 so I know nothing else.. And when things are not going good in our industry I many times think back to being raised in Cupertino and watching Tech explode that I should have gone that route.. Gone into sales for one of the big tech companies.. But cant look back.  

Real Estate cycles in many markets so just make sure you have multiple income streams.. 

See this reply in the discussion

130 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Matamoras, PA · Member since 2015 · 111 posts · 32 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brian Ellis:

    A lot of people might disagree with my decision, or question it. But I am leaving a family business that I have been a part of for the last 6.5 years. I finally gave a months notice last week. This has been debated in my head for a very long time. 

    Am I financially free? Definitely not. Has Real estate given me the opportunity to pursue what I love? Yes. 

    Over the past 3 years I have invested part time in Real Estate (a full time side hustle basically). I will own 3 rentals next month, and will be selling my first house to have a good chunk of reserves for when I leave this job. I have also started my own construction business, and have been doing side jobs over the past year. People tend to like my work, so I have jobs lined up all next month going into December. I also have a subcontractor position working part time for a reputable contractor in the area. 

    I have a lot of security at my current job. A steady paycheck making 75k a year, Health insurance, company vehicle, and a company cell phone. But I am also tied to a leash, and working a job I don't like. I am constantly waiting to lock up the shop so I can get home to work on Real Estate. I am currently working 11 hour days, driving 50 minutes to and from work every day. Over the past 6.5 years I have seen my mental health deteriorate and my eyes have become tired. Im 32 years old, but I feel 55 here.

    When im working on real estate I feel alive, and intelligent. I get to be creative and call the shots. I get to watch my vision come to fruition. For me, that is well worth the pay cut and leaving. I will have 60 more hours a week to pursue and find success in what I enjoy. I can spend more time with my family, and watch my son grow.

    Will it be a tough year, two years, three years? I believe there will be a lot of challenging and pressing times. But I know that it will be worth it in the end. Real estate has really given me the opportunity to make this decision. Im not financially free by any means, but the progress Ive made so far will give me more opportunity. If I never invested in real estate as a side hustle, I would never be able to take this risk.

    I am grateful for Biggerpockets, and the community here. Especially all the help ive received over the years. Especially @Steve Vaughan & @JD Martin. Heres to many more years of challenges, and happiness! Exciting but scary times, and I am hopeful it will turn out to be the best decision I ever made. 

    Sounds like a great choice. I've been a Carpenter for 10 years and invested in realestate as well. Which has given me a enormous amount of freedom to do what I want.

  • Rental Property Investor · Victor, ID · Member since 2017 · 51 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis

    Very exciting, congratulations on taking this new step! Sounds like you’re in a great position for making the move. good luck with everything!

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 530 posts · 398 votes
    5y

    This is great! Congrats!

  • Rental Property Investor · Dawsonville, GA · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis congratulations on your career move Brian! Keep pushing and you’re going to crush your goals for sure!

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    That's so exciting !!! I'm so happy for you . its a big step but having the courage to make that decision is huge ! I have no doubt that you will be successful as your drive and determination will lead you to you dreams. you've also inspired others by your post . Thank you for posting this! :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.