Gave my notice - Leaving security for happiness

Gave my notice - Leaving security for happiness

Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

A lot of people might disagree with my decision, or question it. But I am leaving a family business that I have been a part of for the last 6.5 years. I finally gave a months notice last week. This has been debated in my head for a very long time. 

Am I financially free? Definitely not. Has Real estate given me the opportunity to pursue what I love? Yes. 

Over the past 3 years I have invested part time in Real Estate (a full time side hustle basically). I will own 3 rentals next month, and will be selling my first house to have a good chunk of reserves for when I leave this job. I have also started my own construction business, and have been doing side jobs over the past year. People tend to like my work, so I have jobs lined up all next month going into December. I also have a subcontractor position working part time for a reputable contractor in the area. 

I have a lot of security at my current job. A steady paycheck making 75k a year, Health insurance, company vehicle, and a company cell phone. But I am also tied to a leash, and working a job I don't like. I am constantly waiting to lock up the shop so I can get home to work on Real Estate. I am currently working 11 hour days, driving 50 minutes to and from work every day. Over the past 6.5 years I have seen my mental health deteriorate and my eyes have become tired. Im 32 years old, but I feel 55 here.

When im working on real estate I feel alive, and intelligent. I get to be creative and call the shots. I get to watch my vision come to fruition. For me, that is well worth the pay cut and leaving. I will have 60 more hours a week to pursue and find success in what I enjoy. I can spend more time with my family, and watch my son grow.

Will it be a tough year, two years, three years? I believe there will be a lot of challenging and pressing times. But I know that it will be worth it in the end. Real estate has really given me the opportunity to make this decision. Im not financially free by any means, but the progress Ive made so far will give me more opportunity. If I never invested in real estate as a side hustle, I would never be able to take this risk.

I am grateful for Biggerpockets, and the community here. Especially all the help ive received over the years. Especially @Steve Vaughan & @JD Martin. Heres to many more years of challenges, and happiness! Exciting but scary times, and I am hopeful it will turn out to be the best decision I ever made. 

134Reply
336 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
5y

Welcome to the world of the self employed  .. right now the construction trades to me is a never out of a job situation given the shortage of good reliable contractors and sub trades..  

Being self employed brings on a whole new set of risks emotions worries and when it goes good feeling of success. 

My self I have been self employed my entire life basically.. starting with Fuller Brush at 14  real estate sales at 18 so I know nothing else.. And when things are not going good in our industry I many times think back to being raised in Cupertino and watching Tech explode that I should have gone that route.. Gone into sales for one of the big tech companies.. But cant look back.  

Real Estate cycles in many markets so just make sure you have multiple income streams.. 

See this reply in the discussion

130 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Shea SpinelliPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tyler, TX · Member since 2016 · 198 posts · 89 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis I’m in a very similar position, but about 2 months ahead of you and minus the contractor part! I’m going to try and keep an eye on you and if you want to talk about anything or there is something I can do to help, I’m here. I severed my 85k+ per year job 08/01 and have been super excited and scared to death at the same time. I’ve wanted to pursue real estate full-time for a really long time and just couldn’t justify leaving the W2 money until now. We’re still short as well, but that puts a fire on me. DM me is you want. I’m going to connect with you. Go after it with everything!

  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 653 posts · 313 votes
    5y

    Absolute best of luck mate! Let it ripppppp

  • Member since 2019 · 182 posts · 45 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis so happy for you Brian. I am certain this will be the best decision in your life.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis Congrats on making the leap many fear to do! I remember I was flipping houses in 2006 and in 2008 came boy did it hurt. I ended up investing out of state for longer buy and holds, found out I needed to make money again, but did not want to go back to the 9-5 grind. I started doing some online marketing to sell products. Over the years, there was ups and downs in the business, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Now the company is self sustaining even if we are running less than optimal due to COVID, being able to create a business where I didn't need to be there anymore allowed me more time to invest in myself, other streams of income, online marketing, passive investments, and real estate.

    We work hard to get to our financial freedom goals still. But more importantly, I look back and realized the real value was time and mobility freedom. I was able to do what I needed, and now what I wanted, when and where I want, with those I care about most near me. 

    Now that my wife and I have a beautiful and crazy little one, I cherish the time I get to watch her grow up, which was never an option for my hardworking parents. So coming from a background where making the leap is understandably one of the hardest things you could do, kudos bud!

  • Investor · USA · Member since 2015 · 325 posts · 447 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis

    Congrats on leaving. When I was making the choice to leave some lyrics from the Lumineers helped “it’s better to feel pain, than nothing at all. The opposite of love is indifference”. Every day for 8 years I dreaded working in a factory. I would rather experience the pain of failure than the dulling effect of “punching a clock”.

    Go out and “crush it”!

  • New to Real Estate · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis Congratulations! I recently left my job last November to start a creative agency, and am now looking to expand into real estate with my partner. We have never regretted the decision and feel more in control over lives now more than ever. Not to mention we make a considerable greater amount of money now as well!

    I always tell people who are afraid to leave their jobs, whether it offers security, or pays well, there’s nothing better than owning your time and life — the payoff of those two things are greater than any security or pay a “job” can offer you. I’ll say this to you, as I tell any of my friends who leave their jobs to pursue personal ventures, “Welcome to the first day of your real life”.

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Shea Spinelli:

    @Brian Ellis I’m in a very similar position, but about 2 months ahead of you and minus the contractor part! I’m going to try and keep an eye on you and if you want to talk about anything or there is something I can do to help, I’m here. I severed my 85k+ per year job 08/01 and have been super excited and scared to death at the same time. I’ve wanted to pursue real estate full-time for a really long time and just couldn’t justify leaving the W2 money until now. We’re still short as well, but that puts a fire on me. DM me is you want. I’m going to connect with you. Go after it with everything!

     Thank you, I will reach out for sure. Wish you the best moving forward!

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Mike S.:

    @Brian Ellis Congrats on making the leap many fear to do! I remember I was flipping houses in 2006 and in 2008 came boy did it hurt. I ended up investing out of state for longer buy and holds, found out I needed to make money again, but did not want to go back to the 9-5 grind. I started doing some online marketing to sell products. Over the years, there was ups and downs in the business, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Now the company is self sustaining even if we are running less than optimal due to COVID, being able to create a business where I didn't need to be there anymore allowed me more time to invest in myself, other streams of income, online marketing, passive investments, and real estate.

    We work hard to get to our financial freedom goals still. But more importantly, I look back and realized the real value was time and mobility freedom. I was able to do what I needed, and now what I wanted, when and where I want, with those I care about most near me. 

    Now that my wife and I have a beautiful and crazy little one, I cherish the time I get to watch her grow up, which was never an option for my hardworking parents. So coming from a background where making the leap is understandably one of the hardest things you could do, kudos bud!

    I am glad to hear it all worked out for you and your family. I’m in the same boat. Growing up, this business was all my family knew. It’s been around for 5 generations, so I wanted to be the one to break the cycle and do something I enjoy. While providing a good life for my son where I can be more available. That’s my “why”.  

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Kai Van Leuven:

    @Brian Ellis

    Congrats on leaving. When I was making the choice to leave some lyrics from the Lumineers helped “it’s better to feel pain, than nothing at all. The opposite of love is indifference”. Every day for 8 years I dreaded working in a factory. I would rather experience the pain of failure than the dulling effect of “punching a clock”.

    Go out and “crush it”!

     Thank you! Yes the factory life is tough. The work is stressful and the atmosphere is toxic. 

    Making the choice to do what I enjoy isn’t going to be easy at first, but I’m grateful that I get to dictate the future culture of my business.

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Trinidad:

    @Brian Ellis Congratulations! I recently left my job last November to start a creative agency, and am now looking to expand into real estate with my partner. We have never regretted the decision and feel more in control over lives now more than ever. Not to mention we make a considerable greater amount of money now as well!

    I always tell people who are afraid to leave their jobs, whether it offers security, or pays well, there’s nothing better than owning your time and life — the payoff of those two things are greater than any security or pay a “job” can offer you. I’ll say this to you, as I tell any of my friends who leave their jobs to pursue personal ventures, “Welcome to the first day of your real life”.

     Thank you, Ryan. You are 100% right. It is often the most painful and challenging times that make us grow the most, for the better. I have experienced it many times in life.

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Great Post @Brian Ellis and that's the power of Real Estate. 

    Goodluck

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Congrats Brian, you're an inspiration to the rest of us as we work toward breaking the chains of the 9-5 'job'!

  • New to Real Estate · Lehigh Acres, FL · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis Congratulations on having the courage to do whats going to make you happy in the long run.And for having an open mind when it comes to the trials and tribulations that owning real estate will eventually take you through.Im actually in the same situation you just freed yourself from.I just haven't had the courage to leave my security as of yet.Hopefully that will happen for me soon.I wish you all the happiness in your new career

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    5y

    I love it.

    Remember there are two parts to this formula.  Earn more and spend less.  Most of us are here to figure out how to earn more, but .... 

    If you aren't earning more (yet), then you gotta figure out how to reduce your financial footprint.  Get smaller.  

    You just need to figure how to earn enough - at least in the short term.  You can figure how to earn more as you go.

  • Realtor · Fort Worth · Member since 2020 · 33 posts · 17 votes
    5y

    Good luck! Have fun! ...and I'm about 4 days away from following in your footsteps!

    Leaving a well-paying, W-2 job is going to be hard, but its to the point I too feel its negatively affecting my physical and mental health.  Sometimes you have to close some doors for other doors to open :)

  • Real Estate Broker · Bowie, MD · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 44 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis wow that’s awesome! Great way to take things slow, evaluate the opportunity, and find what worked best for you before taking the leap and now you can jump with ease! Congratulations!

  • Real Estate Agent · Chantilly, VA · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Congratulation. Follow your dream even if you die achieving it.  At the end your life would have had a purpose.

  • Investor · Colorado Springs · Member since 2016 · 232 posts · 150 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis Congrats!!!  My advice is to be a sponge and learn as much as you can as quickly as you can. Build a network of honest, hardworking people like yourself and avoid the naysayers. Crank it hard the first few years to get cash-flow coming in as soon as you can and don't be afraid to take carefully calculated risks with a pre-determined Plan B and exit strategy. Best of luck to you. Stay in touch with us here on BP -- would love to hear about your challenges and successes.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2020 · 25 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis

    Brain,

    Congratulations! I’m sure real estate will work out for you as it has for so many of us. Most of us are taught to stay in low risk positions, most of us are not taught about calculated risk. However you have found for yourself investing and have found the reward in it. You might not be financially free as you say right now. But you’re already on a good path that can lead you to way more than your “stable job”.

    Best wishes

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2019 · 132 posts · 51 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis @Shea Spinelli I'm with you! I resigned just weeks ago, and I'm not fully free either; only three doors and a plan.

    I'll just say it here in black and white for everyone: life isn't about money; we're doing this crazy thing in search of happiness, which has been studied, tested, and surveyed to death. For most, it is: freedom, time, health, satisfaction, purpose, and simplicity.

    While it can help with one or two, money can't buy those things. Brian and Shea, enjoy your upcoming happiness! I look forward to connecting with you.

    PS - I've already seen an improvement in my physical health.

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Good for you! This year has been a huge wake up call for SO many people including myself. Now is the time to pursue what you actually love, even if it means taking a huge risk. Wishing you all the best! 

  • Hamilton, Ontario · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    Hi Brian, Greetings from Canada! 

    I was just reading your post and could not help to find my self in the same situation. Reading this gave me hope and I am so happy for you and your family. It is nice to see someone take the risk. I have plans on doing the same hopefully in 2 years which would put me at 32 years old as well. haha I have 2 properties right now but looking to have a couple more before I can walk away ! 

  • Member since 2020 · 201 posts · 118 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Brian Ellis:

    A lot of people might disagree with my decision, or question it. But I am leaving a family business that I have been a part of for the last 6.5 years. I finally gave a months notice last week. This has been debated in my head for a very long time. 

    Am I financially free? Definitely not. Has Real estate given me the opportunity to pursue what I love? Yes. 

    Over the past 3 years I have invested part time in Real Estate (a full time side hustle basically). I will own 3 rentals next month, and will be selling my first house to have a good chunk of reserves for when I leave this job. I have also started my own construction business, and have been doing side jobs over the past year. People tend to like my work, so I have jobs lined up all next month going into December. I also have a subcontractor position working part time for a reputable contractor in the area. 

    I have a lot of security at my current job. A steady paycheck making 75k a year, Health insurance, company vehicle, and a company cell phone. But I am also tied to a leash, and working a job I don't like. I am constantly waiting to lock up the shop so I can get home to work on Real Estate. I am currently working 11 hour days, driving 50 minutes to and from work every day. Over the past 6.5 years I have seen my mental health deteriorate and my eyes have become tired. Im 32 years old, but I feel 55 here.

    When im working on real estate I feel alive, and intelligent. I get to be creative and call the shots. I get to watch my vision come to fruition. For me, that is well worth the pay cut and leaving. I will have 60 more hours a week to pursue and find success in what I enjoy. I can spend more time with my family, and watch my son grow.

    Will it be a tough year, two years, three years? I believe there will be a lot of challenging and pressing times. But I know that it will be worth it in the end. Real estate has really given me the opportunity to make this decision. Im not financially free by any means, but the progress Ive made so far will give me more opportunity. If I never invested in real estate as a side hustle, I would never be able to take this risk.

    I am grateful for Biggerpockets, and the community here. Especially all the help ive received over the years. Especially @Steve Vaughan & @JD Martin. Heres to many more years of challenges, and happiness! Exciting but scary times, and I am hopeful it will turn out to be the best decision I ever made. 

    It is a pretty risky move to leave a secure and good paying job in the middle of all the current turmoil, the pandemic and all... but it is also brave and I wish you the best of luck.

  • Real Estate Agent · Windham, NH 03087 · Member since 2020 · 29 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis

    Brian,

    Congrats man!  Huge steps toward happiness. Sounds like you have a plan and a bright future ahead of you!  Takes a lot of guts to leave security for happiness.

    If you ever need help with anything please reach out!  

    Good Luck Man!

  • Rental Property Investor · Frisco, TX · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis Congratulations... it’s best to follow your heart and goals ... Best ventures and much success

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.