Gave my notice - Leaving security for happiness

Gave my notice - Leaving security for happiness

Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

A lot of people might disagree with my decision, or question it. But I am leaving a family business that I have been a part of for the last 6.5 years. I finally gave a months notice last week. This has been debated in my head for a very long time. 

Am I financially free? Definitely not. Has Real estate given me the opportunity to pursue what I love? Yes. 

Over the past 3 years I have invested part time in Real Estate (a full time side hustle basically). I will own 3 rentals next month, and will be selling my first house to have a good chunk of reserves for when I leave this job. I have also started my own construction business, and have been doing side jobs over the past year. People tend to like my work, so I have jobs lined up all next month going into December. I also have a subcontractor position working part time for a reputable contractor in the area. 

I have a lot of security at my current job. A steady paycheck making 75k a year, Health insurance, company vehicle, and a company cell phone. But I am also tied to a leash, and working a job I don't like. I am constantly waiting to lock up the shop so I can get home to work on Real Estate. I am currently working 11 hour days, driving 50 minutes to and from work every day. Over the past 6.5 years I have seen my mental health deteriorate and my eyes have become tired. Im 32 years old, but I feel 55 here.

When im working on real estate I feel alive, and intelligent. I get to be creative and call the shots. I get to watch my vision come to fruition. For me, that is well worth the pay cut and leaving. I will have 60 more hours a week to pursue and find success in what I enjoy. I can spend more time with my family, and watch my son grow.

Will it be a tough year, two years, three years? I believe there will be a lot of challenging and pressing times. But I know that it will be worth it in the end. Real estate has really given me the opportunity to make this decision. Im not financially free by any means, but the progress Ive made so far will give me more opportunity. If I never invested in real estate as a side hustle, I would never be able to take this risk.

I am grateful for Biggerpockets, and the community here. Especially all the help ive received over the years. Especially @Steve Vaughan & @JD Martin. Heres to many more years of challenges, and happiness! Exciting but scary times, and I am hopeful it will turn out to be the best decision I ever made. 

134Reply
265 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
5y

Welcome to the world of the self employed  .. right now the construction trades to me is a never out of a job situation given the shortage of good reliable contractors and sub trades..  

Being self employed brings on a whole new set of risks emotions worries and when it goes good feeling of success. 

My self I have been self employed my entire life basically.. starting with Fuller Brush at 14  real estate sales at 18 so I know nothing else.. And when things are not going good in our industry I many times think back to being raised in Cupertino and watching Tech explode that I should have gone that route.. Gone into sales for one of the big tech companies.. But cant look back.  

Real Estate cycles in many markets so just make sure you have multiple income streams.. 

See this reply in the discussion

130 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    I 100% know how you feel. I am currently "tied to a leash" and want to get away. I have one property under my belt and am working on the second. Scared out of my mind as I am breadwinner and my wife needs the health benefits. So I stay, for now. 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 476 votes
    5y

    You've got this Brian! You are doing the right thing - there will be struggles, but you'll figure it out. Keep us posted on your journey. 

  • Lender · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2013 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Wow, congrats @Brian Ellis -  this is excellent!

    I remember leaving my secure teaching job nearly 20 years ago to pursue my dream of being an entrepreneur. I knew I made the right decision immediately... but leaving security for the unknown is challenging at times. You've gotten tons of great advice here. I would like to add...don't listen to the doubters that you'll inevitably come across. The people who question your decision, who can't believe you would ever leave a secure job to pursue something with uncertainty.

    That was actually the biggest challenge for me...hearing all of this noise from people around me, yet forging forward and pursuing my dreams. That's what I would suggest to you. Tune out all doubters, if you have them, and just keep focused on your goals and dreams.

    Congrats again, and best of luck!

  • Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Thanks @Brian Ellis for sharing your story. I am fairly new to the Bigger Pockets community and was inspired by your story. I started with my first rental property this year, and I am on track to add a second property real soon. I work full time and I have good pay, benefits, and stability which don’t get me wrong I am grateful for. I am looking for more freedom and the work life balance that real estate can provide for me. I would like to spend more time with family, and not be stuck in the typical 9 to 5 cycle. I also feel so alive when I am researching properties, doing rehab work and seeing my vision come alive as a finished product. I wish I felt that way in my current role but I don’t. I am currently setting myself up to take the leap of faith that you are taking. Good luck on your journey!

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2018 · 360 posts · 213 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Brian Ellis:

    A lot of people might disagree with my decision, or question it. But I am leaving a family business that I have been a part of for the last 6.5 years. I finally gave a months notice last week. This has been debated in my head for a very long time. 

    Am I financially free? Definitely not. Has Real estate given me the opportunity to pursue what I love? Yes. 

    Over the past 3 years I have invested part time in Real Estate (a full time side hustle basically). I will own 3 rentals next month, and will be selling my first house to have a good chunk of reserves for when I leave this job. I have also started my own construction business, and have been doing side jobs over the past year. People tend to like my work, so I have jobs lined up all next month going into December. I also have a subcontractor position working part time for a reputable contractor in the area. 

    I have a lot of security at my current job. A steady paycheck making 75k a year, Health insurance, company vehicle, and a company cell phone. But I am also tied to a leash, and working a job I don't like. I am constantly waiting to lock up the shop so I can get home to work on Real Estate. I am currently working 11 hour days, driving 50 minutes to and from work every day. Over the past 6.5 years I have seen my mental health deteriorate and my eyes have become tired. Im 32 years old, but I feel 55 here.

    When im working on real estate I feel alive, and intelligent. I get to be creative and call the shots. I get to watch my vision come to fruition. For me, that is well worth the pay cut and leaving. I will have 60 more hours a week to pursue and find success in what I enjoy. I can spend more time with my family, and watch my son grow.

    Will it be a tough year, two years, three years? I believe there will be a lot of challenging and pressing times. But I know that it will be worth it in the end. Real estate has really given me the opportunity to make this decision. Im not financially free by any means, but the progress Ive made so far will give me more opportunity. If I never invested in real estate as a side hustle, I would never be able to take this risk.

    I am grateful for Biggerpockets, and the community here. Especially all the help ive received over the years. Especially @Steve Vaughan & @JD Martin. Heres to many more years of challenges, and happiness! Exciting but scary times, and I am hopeful it will turn out to be the best decision I ever made. 

    Amazing story!! Thank you for Sharing , very inspiring !!

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 273 posts · 127 votes
    5y

    Excited to see you idea come to light, @Jay Hinrichs! Appreciate your willingness to share and your knowledge across the real estate world.

    "Not to change the subject Steve and I probably need to write a blog on this.. but as I sit here this morning reading the news.. there is going to be some very unique opportunities for guys like you that have advanced degrees in how to put real estate deals together.. I am already percolating on a new model.. I see one hedge fund that tried this idea in a different way than what I am thinking but for a local who is got it together should be a very nice addition to ones tool box." -Jay


    I am in a similar boat, @Brian Ellis. Been with the same family company for 10 years. Fortunately, they've allowed me to cut back to 1/2 time and only cut my salary by 40%. I've been with that situation for 2 years but for some reason I STILL have the itch to go full time on my own.

    I'll be excited to watch your story. Please share as you go along. Good luck!!

  • Zach GringPro Member
    Realtor · Saint Charles, IL · Member since 2020 · 126 posts · 101 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis

    Congratulations man that takes tenacity, good for you man. Don’t know you but I hope this brings some clarity to your soul.

    Wish you the best thanks for taking the time to share it man!

  • New to Real Estate · Dayton, OH · Member since 2020 · 122 posts · 39 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis congratulations I am so excited for you. Until I decided that I would do RE investing I thought I would work until age 67 being controlled by others. Like you RE investing has given me hope.

  • New to Real Estate · CT · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis. I love this... Good for you and congratulations and nothing but good vibes sent to you from Connecticut ... From someone who COMPLETELY relates to the security but draining job that hopes to have the same courage you had and take the leap! Here is to you Brian!!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis dude I’m rooting for you. Sounds like you decided you will be successful and will make it happen. Whatever it takes. Go get em!

  • Christi HawkinsPro Member
    Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 237 posts · 142 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis Congratulations!!!

  • Jennifer ClinePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis thanks for sharing your inspiring story.. I can’t wait to share a similar story someday soon.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2018 · 72 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis that’s awesome and inspiring! Congrats! You’ll kill it

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Joe Waters:

    Wow, congrats @Brian Ellis -  this is excellent!

    I remember leaving my secure teaching job nearly 20 years ago to pursue my dream of being an entrepreneur. I knew I made the right decision immediately... but leaving security for the unknown is challenging at times. You've gotten tons of great advice here. I would like to add...don't listen to the doubters that you'll inevitably come across. The people who question your decision, who can't believe you would ever leave a secure job to pursue something with uncertainty.

    That was actually the biggest challenge for me...hearing all of this noise from people around me, yet forging forward and pursuing my dreams. That's what I would suggest to you. Tune out all doubters, if you have them, and just keep focused on your goals and dreams.

    Congrats again, and best of luck!

    As I have been doubted in the past, it is tough for me to let that hold me back. It is a great motivator though! And thank you for the kind words. Best of luck to you as well.

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Lizbeth Castellano:

    @Brian Ellis. I love this... Good for you and congratulations and nothing but good vibes sent to you from Connecticut ... From someone who COMPLETELY relates to the security but draining job that hopes to have the same courage you had and take the leap! Here is to you Brian!!!

     I appreciate the kind words! Positive vibes right back at you. 

    I let it drain me for years, but it was definitely necessary. Finally in a position where I feel good about taking the leap.

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Patrick Soukup:

    Excited to see you idea come to light, @Jay Hinrichs! Appreciate your willingness to share and your knowledge across the real estate world.

    "Not to change the subject Steve and I probably need to write a blog on this.. but as I sit here this morning reading the news.. there is going to be some very unique opportunities for guys like you that have advanced degrees in how to put real estate deals together.. I am already percolating on a new model.. I see one hedge fund that tried this idea in a different way than what I am thinking but for a local who is got it together should be a very nice addition to ones tool box." -Jay


    I am in a similar boat, @Brian Ellis. Been with the same family company for 10 years. Fortunately, they've allowed me to cut back to 1/2 time and only cut my salary by 40%. I've been with that situation for 2 years but for some reason I STILL have the itch to go full time on my own.

    I'll be excited to watch your story. Please share as you go along. Good luck!!

    Thanks, Patrick. I wouldn't have the option to work part time. It was all or nothing in this line of business. Unfortunately there wasn't any room for negotiating, especially with family.

    They are hard workers, and put everything into the family business, so personally it would be an insult to them if I asked for part time work. Plus, I don't think I make that big of a difference here. One of the reasons I have been wanting to get out, I don't have a sense of purpose or value here. Im good at Real Estate and creating things with my hands. Not sitting behind a computer.

    I hope you are able to make that call someday and go off full time.

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Rodney McDaniel:

    Thanks @Brian Ellis for sharing your story. I am fairly new to the Bigger Pockets community and was inspired by your story. I started with my first rental property this year, and I am on track to add a second property real soon. I work full time and I have good pay, benefits, and stability which don’t get me wrong I am grateful for. I am looking for more freedom and the work life balance that real estate can provide for me. I would like to spend more time with family, and not be stuck in the typical 9 to 5 cycle. I also feel so alive when I am researching properties, doing rehab work and seeing my vision come alive as a finished product. I wish I felt that way in my current role but I don’t. I am currently setting myself up to take the leap of faith that you are taking. Good luck on your journey!

    Keep at it! I have been grinding for a few years doing what you mentioned. The benefits will show in time. Hard work and sweat equity is the real deal. Youll know when the time is right. 

  • New to Real Estate · Destin FL · Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis good luck! Do the analysis, make a plan, and execute. Sometimes you don’t really swim until you hop into water over your head.

    Make it happen.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Ogden, UT · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 26 votes
    5y

    Congratulations and best wishes!  Sounds like you have the drive and work ethic that you will get where you want to be :D   My wife and I made a similar decision a couple year ago.  Although scary and hard to know what would happen we did it and truth be told the sky didn't fall and the world didn't end.  Over time the uneasiness subsides and we have become comfortable and excited for the new quality of life we live!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 17 votes
    5y

    Go get it! I hope to be right behind you in just a couple of years!

  • New to Real Estate · Englewood, FL · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis Congratulations on your decision. This is huge! Hearing stories like this are incredibly motivating to me and many others, I’m sure.

    I am leaving my current job at Safelite AutoGlass to pursue real estate as an agent and investor. Just wish I would’ve done it sooner!

    Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Ricardo Cuza:

    @Brian Ellis Congratulations on your decision. This is huge! Hearing stories like this are incredibly motivating to me and many others, I’m sure.

    I am leaving my current job at Safelite AutoGlass to pursue real estate as an agent and investor. Just wish I would’ve done it sooner!

    Good luck


    Wish you the best man!

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 433 posts · 743 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis

    Who else felt that chill when Brian said “I’m 32 but I feel like I’m 55.” Geez brother, that struck a cord with me. I’m 27 and feel like I’m just wasting away, a slave to my laptop, making sure my Microsoft Teams icon stays green...

    I fantasize daily about leaving me job. I’m closing on my second investment on Friday. Can’t wait for the day to walk in and say peace out! You’re an inspiration!

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Tucker Cummings:

    @Brian Ellis

    Who else felt that chill when Brian said “I’m 32 but I feel like I’m 55.” Geez brother, that struck a cord with me. I’m 27 and feel like I’m just wasting away, a slave to my laptop, making sure my Microsoft Teams icon stays green...

    I fantasize daily about leaving me job. I’m closing on my second investment on Friday. Can’t wait for the day to walk in and say peace out! You’re an inspiration!

    I’m a firm believer in manifesting your thoughts through consistent action. What are you doing to make that dream a reality? Even the littlest bit of action eventually goes a long way. Best of luck to you in finding that freedom! 

  • Matthew WatsonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2016 · 57 posts · 101 votes
    5y

    @Brian Ellis

    Awesome man! Keep us updated on your journey.

    Hoping to one day, sooner than later, make a very similar post. Jealous and excited for you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.