Do You Give Gifts to Your Tenants

Most Popular Reply

Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
5y

We have a car raffle every year. The tenants all pay five dollars, and I spin the big wheel, and the tenant that wins get a Kia Soul in metallic pink with the sports brake package.

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Norfolk, Va. · Member since 2018 · 72 posts · 56 votes
    5y

    Is that something you are considering? I remember when I first started, my property manager strongly advised against it. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    @Grace Esteban I do not. I treat my tenants kindly, honestly, and fairly, but I maintain a business relationship. Too many landlords make the mistake of establishing a friendly relationship with their renters. This makes it difficult for them to handle problems appropriately when the tenant gets behind on rent or causes other problems.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    We have a car raffle every year. The tenants all pay five dollars, and I spin the big wheel, and the tenant that wins get a Kia Soul in metallic pink with the sports brake package.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y


    Although I am nice to my tenants I don't try to be their friend. Though I do give them a Christmas card and a gift card - that's their one yearly gift from their landlord as a reward for being good tenants and paying on time. They tend to appreciate it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Hayward, CA · Member since 2015 · 134 posts · 88 votes
    5y

    I try not to be "friends" for same reasons as above.  But I do check in with each of them occasionally to see if they need anything.  I also send them digital cards on all holidays.  I also send them a monthly "Friendly Rent Reminder" by email with lots of really neat pictures of dogs, cats, special notices, etc.  That way I can keep in touch and let them know I am there for them.  But then, I only have 30 tenants.

  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Grace Esteban -  I did when I had less units.  It's always in the back of mind to keep doing it. 

     I don't think it's a bad idea, especially if you can figure out a way to do it without too much time spent getting the gifts together and delivered.

    The IRS allows a writeoff of $25 per individual and that $25 can be the difference between them renewing their lease or not.  You'd be surprised by the decisions people make when they actually like the business they're working with.  They'll put up with more crap, especially if they feel like they're appreciated.

  • Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2016 · 378 posts · 382 votes
    5y

    @Grace Esteban Yes, we give $35 visa gift cards for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We use an online gift card service, that makes it very easy to scale up.

    All gift cards come from our company and not any one person. This helps keep the distance between tenant and landlord.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2011 · 956 posts · 510 votes
    5y

    No - people will be who they are regardless , whether you give them a holiday gift or not. 
    if you are a good landlord and they appreciate it, and they’re good tenants and you appreciate them - that’s enough . 
    if you give them more , nothing will change . If they’re good tenants they won’t be better , and if they’re not good tenants that would not change either. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Grace Esteban We give gifts every Christmas to show our appreciation to our tenants. Right now we have 3 and they all appreciate when we do that. This year they all said that no landlord has ever shown appreciation like that. I believe we are still all human and have to show appreciation to one another. It really made my wife and I feel good to be acknowledged and appreciated by our tenants.

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Grace Esteban

    I send them good season greetings message.

    I also treat them with respect and fix any maintenance issues promptly.

    It's a business relationship and should be treated as such.

    There is nothing wrong giving tenant a gift but I don't.

  • David NutakorPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Palmdale, CA · Member since 2016 · 122 posts · 88 votes
    5y

    @Grace Esteban, there is more blessing in giving than receiving, so if your goal of giving is not a bribe for the tenants to renew the lease then go for it. IMO, landlords can keep good tenants for a very long time if maintenance issues are addressed in a timely manner (assuming the rents are not higher than they are supposed to be).

  • Rental Property Investor · Cambridge, MA · Member since 2020 · 32 posts · 45 votes
    5y

    I gift my tenants all the time. They get a well maintained living arrangement with an attentive property manager. The gift of security

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 814 posts · 466 votes
    5y

    No.  My gift to them throughout the year is to be a good landlord abiding to the contract they sign.  Not even a greeting card, that will be weird given our relationship, they just pay rent and live in a property I own.  I rarely meet them in person anyways... 

  • Rental Property Investor · Barstow, CA · Member since 2015 · 131 posts · 102 votes
    5y

    Giving indeed is very rewarding personally, but you can practice that with anybody does not have to be  your tenants. I think that landlords who do it are just thankful, like a salesman would be when making a sale and throws in something extra for the buyer. I do not do it because the tenant landlord relationship unlike a one time  sale is ongoing and I think a annual gift creates in the tenant an expactancy, that should  not  be there.

  • Rental Property Investor · Woodstock, GA · Member since 2017 · 517 posts · 772 votes
    5y

    I don't. 

    I give at the beginning of the relationship when they move in ($25 for new light bulbs, maybe a card and a box of cookies.) Other than that, I do not except by answering promptly when there's a problem and always being cordial. 

    Just doing those last things go a long way as you can't imagine how many landlords are terrible.

    Sometimes, I'll have off-the-book agreements such as "If you pay on time and are reasonable, I'll replace this old stove in 12 months." I'm the beginning and end of deciding if they follow that, and I let them know.

  • Real Estate Agent · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2014 · 486 posts · 303 votes
    5y

    @Grace Esteban I’ve never done it.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    5y

    I keep my property well maintained, respond to problems quickly and stay out of my tenants business. In exchange I ask that the tenant pays rent on time. Neither one of us expects a gift for fulfilling our responsibilities.

    Giving gifts only creates problems for landlords:

    1. It oversteps the boundary to friendship, something you never want to do. Tenants expect friends to do more and be more lenient than a strict business arrangement.

    2. It creates expectations by the tenant that you will give a gift every year. If you don't give a gift next year, you appear stingy. The reality is that it is easier to never start, then to take away later.

    3. It creates a perception of abundance for the landlords. If tenants think you have extra money, it makes it difficult to give rent increases or worse they may think you don't need money and may slow pay you in the future.

    4. The gift can be something the tenant doesn't want which can be even more annoying. Often landlords give gift cards to places that not everyone likes or gives them something like a plant that they don't want. 

    Bottom line, giving gifts doesn't buy any good will. I have talked to hundreds of people moving and never once did they say, "my landlord didn't give me a gift at Christmas". People move to upgrade their living situation or relocate. People do move because of bad landlords, but that is landlords who will not fix problems quickly or invade their personal space. 

    If you want to give gift, it is fine, just don't expect anything in return and plan to keep doing it every year. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    @Grace Esteban I do not. I treat my tenants kindly, honestly, and fairly, but I maintain a business relationship. Too many landlords make the mistake of establishing a friendly relationship with their renters. This makes it difficult for them to handle problems appropriately when the tenant gets behind on rent or causes other problems.

    Nathan have any of your owners ever asked you to give a holiday gift?  Just curious..

    I knew a landlord here in Oregon ( I met him as I bought a timber tract from him)  but when I was at his office ( he owned 150 homes in Portland) the office was full of turkey's  LOL.. he says he gives a Turkey to all his tenants on Thanksgiving and something for Christmas cant remember.. 

    And this year my wife and I went to Cabela's and bought $100  $50 and $25 dollar gift cards for our subs on our housing project in Canby.  You know Oregon every one hunts or fish's :)

    Owner of company $100  lead on job  $50 and workers $25.. gave out about 30 or so of them maybe more .. Have to go back today and get two more for my finish carpenters forgot them.  The reason And you know subs out this way that own their companies make some serious money 6 figures for sure so it was not the dollar amount it was the thought.. My painter has 60 employees  for instance.. But I walked on the Job Christmas eve and most subs  were working we were painting houses  siding them  framers going for it HVAC working etc..  stopped by and said Merry X mas all of them were very appreciative even though its a small token..  My painter said in 25 years I was the first developer to ever give him or his employees any type of gift.. 

    So I have to think on the PM side of it and or owner of rentals a small token at the holidays ( probably they never got one before) may create some good will.. Or maybe they just beat the crap out of the house as normal ( being factious of course but you know what I mean  )

    I think with Covid too all the subs are just darn happy to be on the jobs..  I feel so bad for those in the hospitality/restaurant business.

    I went in to my favorite pastry store to get Lori a cro donut  Croissant/donut with maple topping  ( really for me) . And someone had come in that morning and bought ALL the pastry for the day so it was free I left 10 bucks in the tip jar and the tip jar was crammed.. Just have to love the spirit . !!!

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 123 posts · 109 votes
    5y

    I give a gift card each year to the primary tenant. This year it was a Target gift card ($25).

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Mike Lee:

    I give a gift card each year to the primary tenant. This year it was a Target gift card ($25).

    so Mike  do you think it helps   hurts  or makes no difference..  ??  I gave coffee cards when I had my rentals in Mississippi

    but they came in the mail..  and this year I did not give one to my Vegas folks. Frankly just forgot but maybe a new years card then.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 123 posts · 109 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Mike Lee:

    I give a gift card each year to the primary tenant. This year it was a Target gift card ($25).

    so Mike  do you think it helps   hurts  or makes no difference..  ??  I gave coffee cards when I had my rentals in Mississippi

    but they came in the mail..  and this year I did not give one to my Vegas folks. Frankly just forgot but maybe a new years card then.

    It helps. Little gestures like that keep my tenants happy. The little things make them ok with my *little* increases annually.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    @Grace Esteban I do not. I treat my tenants kindly, honestly, and fairly, but I maintain a business relationship. Too many landlords make the mistake of establishing a friendly relationship with their renters. This makes it difficult for them to handle problems appropriately when the tenant gets behind on rent or causes other problems.

    Nathan have any of your owners ever asked you to give a holiday gift?  Just curious..

    I knew a landlord here in Oregon ( I met him as I bought a timber tract from him)  but when I was at his office ( he owned 150 homes in Portland) the office was full of turkey's  LOL.. he says he gives a Turkey to all his tenants on Thanksgiving and something for Christmas cant remember.. 

    And this year my wife and I went to Cabela's and bought $100  $50 and $25 dollar gift cards for our subs on our housing project in Canby.  You know Oregon every one hunts or fish's :)

    Owner of company $100  lead on job  $50 and workers $25.. gave out about 30 or so of them maybe more .. Have to go back today and get two more for my finish carpenters forgot them.  The reason And you know subs out this way that own their companies make some serious money 6 figures for sure so it was not the dollar amount it was the thought.. My painter has 60 employees  for instance.. But I walked on the Job Christmas eve and most subs  were working we were painting houses  siding them  framers going for it HVAC working etc..  stopped by and said Merry X mas all of them were very appreciative even though its a small token..  My painter said in 25 years I was the first developer to ever give him or his employees any type of gift.. 

    So I have to think on the PM side of it and or owner of rentals a small token at the holidays ( probably they never got one before) may create some good will.. Or maybe they just beat the crap out of the house as normal ( being factious of course but you know what I mean  )

    I think with Covid too all the subs are just darn happy to be on the jobs..  I feel so bad for those in the hospitality/restaurant business.

    I went in to my favorite pastry store to get Lori a cro donut  Croissant/donut with maple topping  ( really for me) . And someone had come in that morning and bought ALL the pastry for the day so it was free I left 10 bucks in the tip jar and the tip jar was crammed.. Just have to love the spirit . !!!

    Yes, I have had an owner asked me to give discounted rent to a tenant, or they have asked for the tenants name so they could mail them a gift card. In both cases, I share my opinion as to the pros and cons and then follow their instructions. I personally disagree with giving gifts to renters, but it can be beneficial if done correctly so it's not a hill I'm willing to die on.

    I always try to give a gift to my contractors!

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 15 votes
    5y

    I give them the greatest gift of all - a roof over their head!

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Grace Esteban

    I can understand the "human" side of this thinking; however, it is always best to keep the relationship strictly business. 

    When you introduce gifts into the dynamic, then tenants asking for favours may be one of many side effects. 

  • Investor · Manchester CT · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 4 votes
    5y

    @Grace Esteban

    I see a lot of people on here saying that they treat their tenant landlord relationship like a business relationship. There are many businesses that trade candy and other assorted gift boxes as a season's greetings. I think people need to realize everyone is going to have a different philosophy.

    Personally, for the past two years I have given a tin of cookies. I am house hacking a duplex so the dynamic may be a little different. I also gave a bottle of champagne at lease renewal .

    My philosophy is that my rent is near top of market and that is my way of showing appreciation. When I was a tenant I remembered gestures like this and it definitely made me feel I was living in a great place. That being said I think this only sticks in the minds of the higher end tenants and won't mean as much as you go towards the lower end.

    You just need to figure out what works for you in your situation.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.