First Rental Property

First Rental Property

Rental Property Investor · GA · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 12 votes

Good Evening BP,

I currently have my first rental property under contract we are currently in the underwriting phase. The property is SF 3bed 2bath it was listed at 74,000 we offered 64,000 which is bottom line for the area the buyer took the offer. I got approve for a 68,000 FHA with 3.5% down payment for 30 yrs. After a year I plan to rent for 750 a month which is median for the area where rents usually go for 650-850. After expenses we would Cashflow close to 200 a month. I think it's a good deal the property values in the area are projected to appreciated around 7% this year. Any thoughts or advice or just feedback on how the deal looks?

Thank you

Sutton, Dabvis L.

6Reply
54 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Waco TX / Conroe, TX · Member since 2017 · 376 posts · 228 votes
5y


Without seeing a spreadsheet analysis its hard to give my best advice, but it seems you have it all mapped out from first glance.

I would just make sure you have your  insurance included in the analysis and look out for those hidden costs. 

For the first deal, I don't think its as important to be a grand slam. As long as you are getting after it and taking action, a base hit or walk is good in my book. The learning experience is where the real value will come from. 

-BA

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike TerryPro Member
    Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2015 · 292 posts · 278 votes
    5y

    Hey Dabvis,

    You seem like a young guy with many years investing ahead of you.  My biggest concern would be the market.  I know very little about California, but I would be evaluating the sustainability of the market.  Why are so many people leaving the state?  Will that affect demand and rents? Do you have the income to withstand a drop in rents or periods of vacancy.  If you are comfortable with these two things then I say go for it. I know way more investors that regret deals they didn't take down than ones that regret buying a deal.  Good Luck.

  • Rental Property Investor · GA · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Mike Terry sorry the property is in South Georgia area. So it’s a lot cheaper to hold there sorry I didn’t include.

  • Investor · Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 105 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    @Dabvis Le Sutton is it in so cal?

  • Mike TerryPro Member
    Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2015 · 292 posts · 278 votes
    5y

    oh hey. I 'm investing in South Georgia.  I'd grab $200 a door there all day long! You won't get the appreciation, but $200 a door can come cheap there.

  • Rental Property Investor · GA · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Miho Y. It’s in South Ga I should have mentioned

  • Rental Property Investor · GA · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Mike Terry I’ve been doing a little market research around the Valdosta area is set to uptrend around 7% on property value appreciation this year hopefully this is the case.

  • Investor · Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 105 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    @Dabvis Le Sutton I hope you are INTENDING to move in upon close of escrow as a primary residence. Just saying... https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/heres-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-risks-of-mortgage-fraud/

  • Rental Property Investor · GA · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Miho Y. That’s the plan. I’ll check this article out to expand thank you.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Dabvis Le Sutton

    Congrats!

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 433 posts · 743 votes
    5y

    Just reiterating what someone else said - If you're intending to move into it and house hack, I'd say that's a great. But your PITI is probably in the low $400 or upper $300, then budgeting $150/month for maintenance and capex, and renting for $750, and then you're left with your $200 cash flow. But that's market rent for a full 3/2, not just a room you would househack with. If someone is just renting a room from you, while you live in the other parts of the house, I'd think you're probably going to get closer to $400 in rent and just breaking even. Which if you're living there, and you have to by law, then that's great.

    If you’re not intending to live there, you might run into some trouble. But also if you’re not intending to live there and those are your numbers and all works out well, I’d say you’re $200/month cash Flow is solid.

  • Investor · Blackshear, GA · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Hey, I’m in South Georgia about an hour from Valdosta and that’s where i went to college.  We shoot for $200 per door in my area.  Like someone said above, probably not a ton of appreciation but great for cash flow.  I think Valdosta would be a great market to be in with the university and also military base.  Good luck!  

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Dabvis Le Sutton are you in the perimeter? Outside the perimeter? Are you close to the college? Away from the college? Have you thought about STR if you're in the downtown area? You can squeeze more out of this deal if you're smart about it

  • Specialist · covington, GA · Member since 2019 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    5y

    Where in South GA are you investing? 

  • Investor · Waco TX / Conroe, TX · Member since 2017 · 376 posts · 228 votes
    5y


    Without seeing a spreadsheet analysis its hard to give my best advice, but it seems you have it all mapped out from first glance.

    I would just make sure you have your  insurance included in the analysis and look out for those hidden costs. 

    For the first deal, I don't think its as important to be a grand slam. As long as you are getting after it and taking action, a base hit or walk is good in my book. The learning experience is where the real value will come from. 

    -BA

  • Rental Property Investor · GA · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Nicolas Biangel Valdosta area

  • Rental Property Investor · GA · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Blaine Alger thank you for your feedback

  • Rental Property Investor · GA · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Lindsay Linton thank you for your feedback I’m glad to see I’m headed in the right direction on my journey

  • Rental Property Investor · GA · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Tucker Cummings I have a family so we take up space. After a year we’ll have a little equity and have it rent ready. Thanks for the advice and feedback

  • Lender · Southwest Georgia · Member since 2017 · 312 posts · 278 votes
    5y

    @Dabvis Le Sutton First let me congratulate you on a great deal on Financing!! I do a good bit of investing and financing in Valdosta and getting 30yr money is almost impossible since I'm not living in the home at all. Second, depending on the area in Valdosta your rent is low. If your home is in a decent area and you keep it up you can easily get 825-895 a month in rent. There is just not a lot of 3 bed 2 bath rental homes in the market that are nice. I have 5 that are 3/2's and when one goes vacant we have it filled in less than a week at 850-895. 

    So without knowing too much about where your deal is located, I would say that this will be great first deal. 

    Good Luck! 

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Getting started is the hardest part, so kudos to you. 

    As for the deal, it seems pretty decent on the surface. You might want to be less optimistic on the appreciation, however. 

    Other than that, buckle up for the ride. Let me know when you close. 

  • Rental Property Investor · GA · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @J. Mitchell Bernier thank you so much for your feedback

  • Rental Property Investor · GA · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Ola Dantis sure thing thank you so much

  • Gainesville, GA · Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Dabvis Le Sutton

    I'm new to REI but live in Georgia and am familiar with the Valdosta area. There is not much there at all, but if you were willing to rent to college students, I'm sure you could keep it rented out fairly easily at the price range you mentioned. Best of luck to you!

  • Lender · Southwest Georgia · Member since 2017 · 312 posts · 278 votes
    5y

    @Logan Hughes, I don’t know when the last time you were in Valdosta was but I would consider you taking a trip. That town has been a boomtown in South Ga the last 5 years. Really about the only growing market south of Macon. I travel there monthly and a new complex, or new business, or new subdivisions is getting put up regularly.

  • Rental Property Investor · Inlet Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 199 posts · 111 votes
    5y

    @Dabvis Le Sutton

    Congratulations! Sounds like you have a solid plan, and some good numbers to back you up!

    Welcome to the world of real estate!

    Can't wait to see your next deal!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.