what to do with "bonus room" in rental

what to do with "bonus room" in rental

Rental Property Investor · TX · Member since 2019 · 236 posts · 392 votes

Input please! I have a 2500 sq ft 3 bed 2 bath 2 living 1 dining and one bonus room rental. I'm having the slab in the bonus room demolished and re-poured in a few weeks cuz it was botched job back in the 1960's. This room was once a 2 car garage but was completely enclosed at some point, windows were added, closets, and doors to the outside and central air piped in. It's always advertised as a bonus shop room/mancave or craft room whenever I've rented it out. My mind has been spinning with ideas lately since I'm having the foundation re-poured, what else can i do to this room to maximize it's income potential. It's the kind of room you would expect to see a pool table in. I've thought about beautifying it into a 4th bedroom. Thought about converting it into a small efficiency, but there is no plumbing in that room. Anyone have any experience with an odd, extra room in a rental? Past tenants have used it for storage of art supplies, or to keep reptiles and whiffle board table. 
Thoughts on maximizing its potential? 

0Reply
66 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y

A 4th bedroom or maybe with working at home being very popular now, an office, especially if you can put in an outside door for customers/clients to enter.  

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Keith A. I would think about turning it into a 4th bedroom since you don’t have plumbing. You always get more rent with a 4th bedroom 

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    A 4th bedroom or maybe with working at home being very popular now, an office, especially if you can put in an outside door for customers/clients to enter.  

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y

    Is it big enough that you could turn it into a studio apartment?  

  • Rental Property Investor · TX · Member since 2019 · 236 posts · 392 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    Is it big enough that you could turn it into a studio apartment?  

    Theresa I don't think so, its the size of a 2 car garage and isn't close to the sewer line. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Keith A.:
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    Is it big enough that you could turn it into a studio apartment?  

    Theresa I don't think so, its the size of a 2 car garage and isn't close to the sewer line. 

    Sewer line is a problem.  The size isn't.  A 2 car garage can provide a good amount of space for a studio apartment.

  • Rental Property Investor · Palo Alto, CA · Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    @Keith A.

    I’ve heard mixed things about a 4th room. I have a 3br2ba rental, with a spare room that was a converted single car garage. When I bought it it was closed up but not finished. I ended up finishing it since it looked sloppy, but my property manager advised to advertise it as a 3br2ba with a spare room, instead of advertising as a 4br. The reason being that very large families can look for 4br homes, and the increase in rent isn’t very much. Where I am, max occupancy is 2 people per room plus 1. So you could potentially have 9 people in that home.

    I'm now looking into building an ADU, and was choosing between a 2br2ba or 3br2ba, both 1000sf. Property manager advised me to go with 2br2ba, by the same thinking.

    Would be very interested to hear what the community thinks about this.

  • Rental Property Investor · TX · Member since 2019 · 236 posts · 392 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Gabe T.:

    @Keith A.

    I’ve heard mixed things about a 4th room. I have a 3br2ba rental, with a spare room that was a converted single car garage. When I bought it it was closed up but not finished. I ended up finishing it since it looked sloppy, but my property manager advised to advertise it as a 3br2ba with a spare room, instead of advertising as a 4br. The reason being that very large families can look for 4br homes, and the increase in rent isn’t very much. Where I am, max occupancy is 2 people per room plus 1. So you could potentially have 9 people in that home.

    I'm now looking into building an ADU, and was choosing between a 2br2ba or 3br2ba, both 1000sf. Property manager advised me to go with 2br2ba, by the same thinking.

    Would be very interested to hear what the community thinks about this.

    Gabe that is great info for sure. And that is a lot of people under one roof. So much to consider... 

  • Real Estate Agent · North Jersey · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 29 votes
    5y

    @Keith A. Sounds like a master bedroom opportunity - walk in closet perhaps - or if big enough maybe divide into 2 new bedrooms

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Keith A. In my area there’s not much added value in rent increase above and beyond a 3BR. You’d likely only generate $30-40 more for a 4thBR.

    I’m in a little bit of a similar boat I’ve got a 3rd room that you can only access by walking through the second bedroom and it has an outside entrance in one of my units so I call it a bonus room. I believe my current tenant grows plants in it.

    If you self manage maybe try contacting a management company if you’re not that familiar with the pricing differences and see if a bedroom or a bonus room is a better value.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Keith A.

    A bedroom seems like the easiest way to add value. Around here that means >100 sq ft, a closet, and a window.

    Ideally it also doesn’t require passage thru another bedroom to get there.

    An extra bedroom should rent/sell for more.

  • Ginger BrownPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fairbanks, AK · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 24 votes
    5y

    @Keith A. I would turn it into a 4th bedroom or back into a garage depending on if your market does better with garages. Mine does..

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Gabe T.:

    @Keith A.

    I’ve heard mixed things about a 4th room. I have a 3br2ba rental, with a spare room that was a converted single car garage. When I bought it it was closed up but not finished. I ended up finishing it since it looked sloppy, but my property manager advised to advertise it as a 3br2ba with a spare room, instead of advertising as a 4br. The reason being that very large families can look for 4br homes, and the increase in rent isn’t very much. Where I am, max occupancy is 2 people per room plus 1. So you could potentially have 9 people in that home.

    I'm now looking into building an ADU, and was choosing between a 2br2ba or 3br2ba, both 1000sf. Property manager advised me to go with 2br2ba, by the same thinking.

    Would be very interested to hear what the community thinks about this.

     I have a 4 bedroom house and a 5 bedroom house.  I did get applicants with way too many unruly kids, single mom's with 9 kids, etc.  But I also got a LOT of multigenerational families applied.

    The 4 bedroom has a married couple and their one child, plus his retired police officer father and her medically needy mother.  Great family, lots of income and the kid always has 2 adults at home!

    The other house has a married couple, their in college son, and her mother.  One bedroom is now a pool table, game room and the other is storage/pets.

    I think that if advertised as two master sized bedrooms or large bedrooms you will attract the multigenerational families.  It also helps if you have at least one handicapped fitted bathroom.  They generally have working income for the parents and retirement pensions/SS for the older generation.

    Though if the extra bedrooms are small, fitting twin or full size beds, you likely will attract a slew of kids!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.