BiggerPockets Real Estate Conference: Is it time?

BiggerPockets Real Estate Conference: Is it time?

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

One of my goals over the past 6 years has been to produce a real estate investing conference unlike any we've seen before. I believe that BiggerPockets is in a unique position to create a conference that changes the game . . .

While most real estate investing events, seminars, clubs, conferences, etc., revolve around the guru crowd, I think the REI world is longing for something different. Just as we changed the game by creating a community dominated by actual investors and other real estate professionals with their feet on the ground, I think we can and must do the same with a BiggerPockets conference.

With that in mind, I've been brainstorming this thing for a long time now, and have had a few false starts, but I've connected with someone that I believe can help us put on a hugely successful event. He has experience putting on various large and successful conventions, and we've begun to talk about how to proceed with one for BiggerPockets.

That said, while I'm confident in my ideas, I would love to get yours as well!

So . . . here are a few questions I've got for you....

1) If BiggerPockets put on a conference, would you want to attend?
2) Would you be willing to travel (fly) to attend such an event?
3) Do you think 2 days would be adequate for a first shot at it?
4) What kinds of ideas do you have for sessions?
5) What would a BP conference look like to you?
6) Of the real estate and other events that you've attended, what is the one thing that you've liked the most?
7) The least?

Feel free to add anything else to your post . . . I'm just looking to determine the level of enthusiasm and to get some ideas from all of you.

So . . . are you psyched?

15Reply
520 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
15y

Sounds awesome Josh!

1. I would definitely attend.

2. Yup...you would have to if you wanted to attend

3. 2 days is probably fine. I would love for it to be longer, but that is probably great for a first event

4. The sessions could have people present on different topics. There are tons of investors on here and I am sure you could start a thread to solicit interest from potential presenters. You could then have people vote on who they want to see present the most or some such

5. Half presentations and half mixers/networking. Perhaps a few hours of presentation followed by structure networking followed by more presentations followed by more networking

6. I think the best events are the ones that have people hit the highlights during their presentations and encourage networking. Hours and hours of lecture doesn't make for a very appealing event IMO

7. Events where people pitch stuff in their presentation or are non-experts on subjects with an agenda

I think one of the big things missing from the experience you are looking to create are local groups too. If BP could structure leaders for local groups and coordinate times for club meetings that would make the whole experience much more powerful IMO. I have met with many BP people by phone and in person and it adds a whole new dimension to the networking. Periodic structured BP club meetings would be very powerful.

See this reply in the discussion

246 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Normally I might want to follow what track or another, but in this case I would probably more more concerned about who was teaching what and exploring other areas outside of my main focus.

    The networking will be the biggest draw for me as well. I would hope not to get so busy that I had no chance to meet so many of my fellow BPers. There are a great many that I would like to meet in person and get to know better.

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2008 · 59 posts · 46 votes
    15y

    How would it look?

    I'd lobby for narrowly defined topics for presenters/speakers. Lots of useable info densely packed, time wise.

    Two days is fine. I think it could easily morph into longer, and shorter conferences.

    The key, and this is most certainly invading Captain Obvious territory, is the expertise/experience of speakers. It's all any conference has to offer.

    I think the idea offered by another commenter about highly organized networking opportunities is stellar. Frankly, networking at most conferences is vastly more valuable than the info they provide.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    So are we doing this or what?

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2010 · 122 posts · 32 votes
    15y

    I would go for sure as long as there is food and no $40,000k courses that someone will try to convince me to put on a credit card !

    :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 10 votes
    15y

    1) If BiggerPockets put on a conference, would you want to attend?
    Yes.
    2) Would you be willing to travel (fly) to attend such an event?
    Yes.
    3) Do you think 2 days would be adequate for a first shot at it?
    Yes, I liked someone's idea of 1 full day and 2 half days; may run up the cost though.
    4) What kinds of ideas do you have for sessions?
    I think most of the ideas mentioned already are great. Different strategies (rental/flip/etc.) Also having professionals (lawyers/accountants) that specialize in RE.
    5) What would a BP conference look like to you?
    A lot of people in a conference room.
    6) Of the real estate and other events that you've attended, what is the one thing that you've liked the most?
    That there is always drinking water available (read: not much).
    7) The least?
    Salesmanship. Any offering of services for pay should be barred. Present your info and if people like what you have to offer they'll talk to you and pay you if necessary; but don't hold back in your presentation.

    Scott

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2011 · 30 posts · 9 votes
    15y

    1) If BiggerPockets put on a conference, would you want to attend? Yes, but preferably it should be a weekend event; as I'm sure at least half of us are full time employed.
    2) Would you be willing to travel (fly) to attend such an event? I agree with the other posts about a central location, major hub, such as DFW.
    3) Do you think 2 days would be adequate for a first shot at it? Yes
    4) What kinds of ideas do you have for sessions?
    Different and simultaneous sessions that relate to different strategies. buy and hold, flip, wholesaling etc. As well as newbie to advanced sessions.
    5) What would a BP conference look like to you?
    Networking, industry professionals, lots of great info
    6) Of the real estate and other events that you've attended, what is the one thing that you've liked the most?
    Real life experiences.
    7) The least?
    Guru BS, over doing the self promotion of services instead of sharing key information

    There should also be a discounted rate with local hotels in the area.

    Hope this event goes ahead, can't wait!!!! :D

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    Keep the responses coming guys.

    I have a number of people in mind who I'd like to see respond to this thread before we start moving forward seriously.

    So, if you are truly interested (and please know that I REALLY want to do this!), please encourage your friends or others that you think would be interested, to respond here.

    Thanks for the continued enthusiasm!

  • SFR Investor · CB, IA · Member since 2011 · 91 posts · 42 votes
    15y

    Although I'm still new to the site, I'd be in for sure. I look forward to learning from the BP regulars in person. Anyone traveling further than 8155 miles (distance to DFW)???

  • Real Estate Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2009 · 308 posts · 61 votes
    15y

    Yes, I would attend over a weekend.

    Denver is central and a major hub making it relatively inexpensive for airfare.

    I am sure most as well would be willing to come to you Josh.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Since when is Iowa 8155 miles from DFW? Am I missing something?

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Bryan Hancock:
    Since when is Iowa 8155 miles from DFW? Am I missing something?

    By way of Boston and San Diego.

    I believe Matt is serving in the middle east?

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Ahh....that makes sense now. Thanks for serving our country Matt!

  • SFR Investor · CB, IA · Member since 2011 · 91 posts · 42 votes
    15y

    Thanks guys.....currently sitting in Mazar, Afghanistan. Any chance of getting this thing done in Vegas? lol

  • Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Josh, the conference idea sounds great! You may wish to add San Diego to your list of candidate cities. Here are some things that come to my mind about a conference, in no particular order:

    1. Newbies and experienced investors typically have different needs, so I would not combine those two target audiences in one conference. In addition, newbies can learn all the basic stuff by reading BP forums, so there is really no point in having basic how-to seminars at the conference. Having said that, there are a few areas of RE that seem to be unfamiliar to even experienced investors (e.g. notes) and perhaps 1 or 2 such topics can be covered in a seminar type setting.

    2. No business person has the answers to all questions or knows everything about his area of business expertise, so RE topics should be covered through a panel discussion and not by one person speaking to an audience.

    3. Since those who can afford to go to the conference will generally be experienced investors, discussion topics should be highly focused so that we can get some really in-depth learning from the events. For example, there should not be a panel discussion on fix-and-flips. Instead, there can be a discussion on ways to sell a flip quickly. This level of focus will allow the panel members and audience to discuss very specific ideas and the learning will be greater.

    4. As Charles and others have pointed out, networking is a key ingredient in the whole thing and we should not have so many informational events that they intrude on networking opportunities.

    5. I think a BP conference should have some really special social / entertainment events. For example, let's not go to any restaurant but to a really exclusive one to which it is hard to get reservations. Similarly for bars, clubs, outdoor activities, etc. Or, if price is a concern, how about doing something out of the ordinary that makes it a memorable thing?

    6. I don't mean to sound elitist, but I think newbies and people without money should not be spending it on a conference. I would like the BP conference to be an upscale event at an upscale location and not at TI, etc.

    7. It will be good to have a couple of lawyers give a seminar on legal issues. There can be an asset protection lawyer who talks about asset protection issues, and there can be a corporate / securities lawyer discussing securities issues. An RE lawyer will also be nice, but RE laws tend to vary quite a bit from state to state and may not be suitable for a national audience.

    Good luck with organizing this and let me know if I can help in any way.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Well Josh, what's the date and venue? :D Let's get this thing underway!

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    Josh, what do you have in mind at this point?

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    15y

    The post by Vikram made me think more about this seminar. I really think we need to divide it up some way. There are a lot of members that don't have excess cash to spend, and would have little interest in spending big bucks for elite cocktail hours etc.
    There are others that have some cash but are too cheap to spend on fancy meeting places (like me)!
    I also think newbies would have different interests than the experienced investors.You need to be able to address all levels of investors to make it more worthwhile.
    I like the panel concept more than an individual speaker EXCEPT for topics covered by an attorney on a specific; i.e. estate planning, trusts, series LLC's etc.
    In so fl, there are NO convenient location for me, but I prefer Vegas for cheap food and hotels.
    I would attend so long as I don't have a different trip already booked.It sounds fun for all the reasons previously mentioned by many. Learning, meeting others, and joining in all the discussions. Rich

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 557 posts · 70 votes
    15y

    I like it! I will go if I can.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Grand Blanc, MI · Member since 2008 · 885 posts · 316 votes
    15y

    I'm with Rich. I don't think this conference should turn into an elitist shindig. If things are kept in moderation, then it will serve the most amount of people. While many of us on here have the money to spend on such elite things that Vikram suggested, I don't think most of us would choose to do so.

    My number one goal when I attend (yes, I'll definitely go!) is to network.

  • Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Elitist is quite a strong word for what I suggested and does not depict it accurately. I was suggesting two things that, perhaps, some have mistaken for elitism.

    1. To focus on a detailed and thorough discussion of specific RE topics instead of how-to seminars intended for newbies.

    2. To do it in a nice place instead of trying to do it in a cheap place or in a non-memorable manner.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    Vegas can be cheap, and for those who want anything more, you can be as elitist as you like.

    If I can find a good dog sitter for an extended period, I'm thinking of doing my Easy Rider thing (while I still can or endure it). Have credit card will travel, LOL. (You don't carry large sums of cash on a bike!) Don't know if Veags would be on my ride.

    Still like to hear your thoughts at this point Josh. Lots of suggestions, which ideas sound acceptable so far?

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    15y

    Vikram, the following is what made me post what I did.

    "5. I think a BP conference should have some really special social / entertainment events. For example, let's not go to any restaurant but to a really exclusive one to which it is hard to get reservations. Similarly for bars, clubs, outdoor activities, etc. Or, if price is a concern, how about doing something out of the ordinary that makes it a memorable thing?

    6. I don't mean to sound elitist, but I think newbies and people without money should not be spending it on a conference. I would like the BP conference to be an upscale event at an upscale location and not at TI, etc

    I've never cared what the convention room looked like, and I've been in a lot of Vegas convention centers. If a group wants to schedule an expensive restaurant or bar/club etc, they may always do it on their own.Rich

    p.s. My favorite restaurants are all CHEAP! Any Macyo, Peppermill or Bautistas Hole in the Wall.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    Keep the feedback coming. If we do this, we're going to do it right and there will be some fun in addition to the business aspect of the event.

    So far we've heard from many of our "regulars" and some of the more visibile members. I'm really hoping that some of the newer members or at least a few of you who aren't as active will chime in here with your responses to the questions posted on my first post in the thread.

    I'm not yet ready to share my vision, but it has already changed thanks to many of your ideas.

    Please keep jumping in with your feedback. Before undertaking such a large use of time and resources, I want to make sure we can attract the hundreds of users required to make it a success.

  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    15y

    1) If BiggerPockets put on a conference, would you want to attend?

    Yes

    2) Would you be willing to travel (fly) to attend such an event?

    Yes, but so many conferences are on the West Coast, we poor easterners spend two days just getting there and back. So a 2 day conference sucks up 4 days. A conference in the center of the country for a change would be great. If you try to do multiple locations, you'll be a nutcase in short order. Assuming you are not already.

    3) Do you think 2 days would be adequate for a first shot at it?

    Plenty - you'll have enough on your plate with the logistics for 2 days, believe me!

    4) What kinds of ideas do you have for sessions?

    I'd like to see some sessions more geared towards advanced topics. I founded a REIA and everyone is sick of the newbie stuff, except the newbies. Don't get me wrong, everyone needs information when they start out, but there are lots of local REIA's all over the US that provide that.

    5) What would a BP conference look like to you?

    A mix of meaty how-to seminars and networking

    6) Of the real estate and other events that you've attended, what is the one thing that you've liked the most?

    I like the rotating round tables, where you can sit with an authority, ask questions, and move on to another table when you are ready.

    7) The least? Pitches that are upsells for pitches that are more upsells.

  • Investor · Southlake, TX · Member since 2009 · 950 posts · 338 votes
    15y

    Josh, is it true about the rumors of a Point/Counter Point discussion with Bill and Bryan?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.