BiggerPockets Real Estate Conference: Is it time?

BiggerPockets Real Estate Conference: Is it time?

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

One of my goals over the past 6 years has been to produce a real estate investing conference unlike any we've seen before. I believe that BiggerPockets is in a unique position to create a conference that changes the game . . .

While most real estate investing events, seminars, clubs, conferences, etc., revolve around the guru crowd, I think the REI world is longing for something different. Just as we changed the game by creating a community dominated by actual investors and other real estate professionals with their feet on the ground, I think we can and must do the same with a BiggerPockets conference.

With that in mind, I've been brainstorming this thing for a long time now, and have had a few false starts, but I've connected with someone that I believe can help us put on a hugely successful event. He has experience putting on various large and successful conventions, and we've begun to talk about how to proceed with one for BiggerPockets.

That said, while I'm confident in my ideas, I would love to get yours as well!

So . . . here are a few questions I've got for you....

1) If BiggerPockets put on a conference, would you want to attend?
2) Would you be willing to travel (fly) to attend such an event?
3) Do you think 2 days would be adequate for a first shot at it?
4) What kinds of ideas do you have for sessions?
5) What would a BP conference look like to you?
6) Of the real estate and other events that you've attended, what is the one thing that you've liked the most?
7) The least?

Feel free to add anything else to your post . . . I'm just looking to determine the level of enthusiasm and to get some ideas from all of you.

So . . . are you psyched?

15Reply
584 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
15y

Sounds awesome Josh!

1. I would definitely attend.

2. Yup...you would have to if you wanted to attend

3. 2 days is probably fine. I would love for it to be longer, but that is probably great for a first event

4. The sessions could have people present on different topics. There are tons of investors on here and I am sure you could start a thread to solicit interest from potential presenters. You could then have people vote on who they want to see present the most or some such

5. Half presentations and half mixers/networking. Perhaps a few hours of presentation followed by structure networking followed by more presentations followed by more networking

6. I think the best events are the ones that have people hit the highlights during their presentations and encourage networking. Hours and hours of lecture doesn't make for a very appealing event IMO

7. Events where people pitch stuff in their presentation or are non-experts on subjects with an agenda

I think one of the big things missing from the experience you are looking to create are local groups too. If BP could structure leaders for local groups and coordinate times for club meetings that would make the whole experience much more powerful IMO. I have met with many BP people by phone and in person and it adds a whole new dimension to the networking. Periodic structured BP club meetings would be very powerful.

See this reply in the discussion

246 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    LOL...scary thought Tod!

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    LOL, someone always stirring the pot.....

    Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot!

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    I was thinking of one of those boxing rings that they have at carnivals or maybe even having the sumo grudge match room with the inflatable sumo suits.

    Keep the ideas (serious ones) coming...

  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2010 · 303 posts · 332 votes
    15y

    I think a conference is an excellent idea. And yes, I would be willing to travel anywhere in the U.S. if the information was valuable to my business. Based on what I see and read on Bigger Pockets I know this would be a first class event. Two days would be perfect.

    As for material, I would like to hear about deals gone bad. I want to learn from other investor's mistakes. To me it's just as valuable to know what investors do to lose money than to make money.

    I once attended a networking event and we all got up and discussed the worst deal we had ever done. It was fascinating. Perhaps this could be done as a panel discussion with 3-4 experienced investors from the BP community?

    In any event, count me in.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Good idea, Marty. You just made me think of another dynamic that would be true of a conference that is not the case here. Everything written on BP is forever and public to anyone who Googles. So I don't post about a lot of things I'd love input on. Such as the full blown eviction I'm running now, or ongoing negotiations on various deals. Or even success stories. I for one feel like I could be more transparent at a conference than here.

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    15y

    1) If BiggerPockets put on a conference, would you want to attend? YES

    2) Would you be willing to travel (fly) to attend such an event?YES

    3) Do you think 2 days would be adequate for a first shot at it?YES

    4) What kinds of ideas do you have for sessions?
    I WOULD BREAK IT UP WITH YOUR MOST POPULAR BLOG POSTS. HAVE AN AUTHORITY IN THAT FIELD SPEAK, AND OPEN IT UP TO Q&A. I WOULD NOT HAVE THEM SELL ANYTHING AT THE END.

    5) What would a BP conference look like to you? A WEEKEND OF NETWORKING WITH OTHER PLAYERS IN THE MARKET. A NICE RESORT, IN A FAMILY FRIENDLY LOCATION. THIS WAY OUR FAMILIES CAN DO OTHER STUFF WHILE WE NETWORK. I WOULD SAY ORLANDO, OVER A WEEKEND. VENDORS WOULD BE AVAILABLE, BUT THE SPEAKERS WOULD ONLY MODERATE DISCUSSION, IF THEY WANTED TO SELL US, IT CAN NOT BE FROM THE PLATFORM, THEY NEED TO HAVE A VENDORS BOOTH.

    6) Of the real estate and other events that you've attended, what is the one thing that you've liked the most?NETWORKING WITH OTHER PLAYERS IN THE GAME

    7) The least?[b] WHAT I LIKED THE LEAST WAS AT THE END OF A GOOD SPEAKER, BEING SOLD TO FOR 30 MORE MINUTES.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    15y

    That would be more like a cage match, wouldn't it? Should be easy to arrange in Vegas :-).

    Not too bad to get from the east coast to Denver in the morning. Do a Friday afternoon, all day Saturday, then Sunday morning.

    One of our local clubs does the roundtable style meeting a couple of times a year. That's one of the better arrangements, and certainly beats a guru pitching a home study course. With a larger, more diverse group, it may be a little tougher. Depending on how many people are in attendance, small rooms and short presentations might work. Each presenter would do a short presentation and answer questions. Then, like for a round table setup, do the presentation multiple times so people could rotate between the rooms and attend multiple sessions. By using small rooms rather than large, round tables, more people could be accommodated in each session and there would be less noise.

    Another technique I've seen used by some groups is poster papers. Presenters prepare a large poster with a story they want to tell. The posters are available for the duration of the conference. There is usually a specific time when the presenters are expected to man their poster and answer questions. Usually in an early evening time slot and accompanied by drinks. This can overlap with a meet and greet time and can be a catalyst for getting people talking.

    While I fully support avoiding the big gurus selling courses, I wonder if the lack of these national names will reduce the attractiveness of the conference to some people. No suggestions about what to change, and I certainly do not want to see this become a "pitch fest", but those names do have a draw. Perhaps some keynote speaker on real estate or macro economics?

  • Real Estate Investor · Bethesda, MD · Member since 2010 · 22 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    I totally agree with Bryan. I was at a SDIRA networking event last fall & the highlights were sessions presented by investors, not pitching products, and networking. There was also a speed networking session, which forced people to meet and exchange info. Some people will always be unhappy with the location but someplace easily accessible w/ good airfares, like Orlando or Vegas, will probably be best.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Howard Salpeter:
    I totally agree with Bryan. I was at a SDIRA networking event last fall & the highlights were sessions presented by investors, not pitching products, and networking. There was also a speed networking session, which forced people to meet and exchange info. Some people will always be unhappy with the location but someplace easily accessible w/ good airfares, like Orlando or Vegas, will probably be best.

    Howard, was it the Equity Trust conference in Orlando? That was great and worth emulating.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    15y

    If Bill is not available, I'd be more than happy to take his place with Bryan.
    Panel, one on one, ring,etc.(t.i.c. for those that take things too seriously....)

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Bring it Rich...We need a bet on Texas/BYU next year too...friendly of course.

  • Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
    15y

    Another site mobilehomeuniversity.com used to have these style meetings. They would call them Meeting of the Minds meetings or MOM for short. I think they had about 6 of them and I was able to attend 2. One was in GA other was in WA. People from all across the USA flew in with an informal meet & greet on Fri, scheduled speakers from 8-5 on Sat and then open networking for Sun. It was very refreshing to have a face to face meeting with like minded individuals all discussing MHs or MHP investing for the weekend. The BP meeting would be much broader so may have to schedule 2 days for speakers. Meet & Greet on Thurs - Fri & Sat speakers for different areas and Sun for open networking. Sounds like a plan to me.

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    with all due respect howard, this is something i would skip...i don't want to get business cards thrown at me...i'd rather meet with less people but get to know them and their businesses, and i'd hope that's what they'd want from me as well

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    I agree....When I come back from other conferences with a stack of business cards from people I spent 5 minutes with it really provides little value. I have met some business partners at other conferences that we spent an hour or so with. One couple moved from New York to Texas because of a lunch we had and later became one of my two business partners!

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Bryan Hancock:
    Bring it Rich...We need a bet on Texas/BYU next year too...friendly of course.

    With the way UTerus is looking I wouldnt bet on them to beat anyone :mrgreen:

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    I guess we'll see James. It should be an easy bet for Rich then :-)

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    1) If BiggerPockets put on a conference, would you want to attend?

    Absolutely!

    2) Would you be willing to travel (fly) to attend such an event?

    Yes. I would prefer Vegas.

    3) Do you think 2 days would be adequate for a first shot at it?

    I think a minimum of 2 days will make it worth flying from Chicago.

    4) What kinds of ideas do you have for sessions?
    I was thinking that it will be a great idea to have a short session on each topic. For instance, J Scott can speak on flipping business and Jon Holdman can speak on the business of being a landlord. J Scott and Jon Holdman are two of the most well respected members on BP and I believe a session from each of them will be much appreciated by each member who decides to attend.

    5) What would a BP conference look like to you?
    Primarily a networking event where I am finally able to meet the members in person.

    6) Of the real estate and other events that you've attended, what is the one thing that you've liked the most?
    I have absolutely loved the round table discussion that we have had at one of the REIAs I attend. It was very informative. The group got to ask any question from the more experienced members and it was very helpful.

    7) The least?

    Like everyone has said, the sales pitch.

    I apologize if some of this stuff is duplicative. I just didn't get a chance to read through every single reply.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    15y

    For Bryan- A bet is fine, I think. I've heard about the home cooking officials in that conference! Willing to do the bet with whatever the odds are? Or a combination bet. We take 1 of the future games at UT and the game at BYU. Add up the points for each team and the team with the highest point total for the 2 games wins the bet?
    Either or both bets? Rich

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    It would be pretty hard to claim home cooking last year Rich…UT lost almost every home game. I would not be surprised at all if BYU is FAVORED to win next year if Gilbert doesn’t step up.

    I’m up for a total points or whatever. Maybe we can start a separate thread about it. I was thinking we could have some or all of the money go to BiggerPockets.

  • Real Estate Investor · SouthCentral, IA · Member since 2010 · 97 posts · 45 votes
    15y

    so is this conference thing a go or just chit chat??

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Seems like it is time to put something on paper!

  • Real Estate Investor · Normal, IL · Member since 2010 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    I agree with bryan. I would love to see BP break off into organized groups by location.I myself am a new investor, I have only flipped 4 properties. I have no problem spending money on good training, but we all know that is one of the biggest fears for the new guys with all these scams out there from guys who dont ahve any experience behind what they are "teaching". I think it would be a great way for new investors to learn while the experienced investors profit off there knowledge.

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2009 · 456 posts · 123 votes
    15y

    I think Josh is still holding out on some more of the lurkers speaking up... where are you lurkers???

    The bottom line is if we don't have at least 100 or so people going, it isn't practical to make this happen. In terms of getting a venue, enticing vendors to come (and thus pay for some of it), etc... all depend on the numbers. I don't think we can get a venue for an event with like 20 people. And I don't think a vendor would drop any cash or bother to travel to only have a shot at selling something to 20 people.

    Realistically, if 100 people post in this thread saying they'd like to go, we will be lucky if 20 of them actually end up going. A lot of people are all talk. Some people will have last minute excuses. Others are borderline not able to afford this, and the location and final cost will ultimately affect whether or not they can even go.

    So, if Josh needs say 100-200 people (that figure is a guess on my part but I'm quite confident the real number is at least > 100) to ATTEND in order to make this work, then that means we need several hundred, if not a couple thousand, members posting here saying that they want to go.

    It's like mortgage brokering, or showing apartments, or website traffic conversion (the number of visitors that actually click an ad on your site or buy your product) or anything else... it's a numbers game. If you show an apartment to a bunch of people, several of them will swear up and down that it's the nicest place they have ever scene and they can't wait to move in and they are totally serious but then it will often turn out that either they can't come up with the deposit and 1st month's rent, or they will just flake out and change their mind or say they found a better place. And this always seems to happen at the last minute.

    So... in my opinion... we need a LOT MORE PEOPLE to express interest here in order for Josh to start seriously working on setting this up. It's not fair to expect him to invest his time in it otherwise.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
    15y

    1) If BiggerPockets put on a conference, would you want to attend?

    Yes.

    2) Would you be willing to travel (fly) to attend such an event?

    Yes. Denver or Vegas would be nice.

    3) Do you think 2 days would be adequate for a first shot at it?

    Yes.

    4) What kinds of ideas do you have for sessions?
    Perhaps a structured Q/A session where speakers are announced first (a week or two ahead of time). Then people can submit questions ahead of time and the speaker can pick which ones to answer for the alloted time. This gives structure instead of having a shot gun session and they can prepare examples as necessary. The last 10-15 minutes can be live questions. The Bill vs. Bryan vs. Rich cage match would also be worth the trip.

    5) What would a BP conference look like to you?
    Good quality speakers from the site.

    6) Of the real estate and other events that you've attended, what is the one thing that you've liked the most?
    Q/A sessions.

    7) The least?

    Sales Pitch.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    Corey is correct. I am waiting to hear from at least 100 members before I get serious. I want this thing to happen, but only 56 members have expressed interest until now.

    So -- if you're sitting on the sidelines and want this to happen, then speak up!

    Thanks guys.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.