BiggerPockets Real Estate Conference: Is it time?

BiggerPockets Real Estate Conference: Is it time?

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

One of my goals over the past 6 years has been to produce a real estate investing conference unlike any we've seen before. I believe that BiggerPockets is in a unique position to create a conference that changes the game . . .

While most real estate investing events, seminars, clubs, conferences, etc., revolve around the guru crowd, I think the REI world is longing for something different. Just as we changed the game by creating a community dominated by actual investors and other real estate professionals with their feet on the ground, I think we can and must do the same with a BiggerPockets conference.

With that in mind, I've been brainstorming this thing for a long time now, and have had a few false starts, but I've connected with someone that I believe can help us put on a hugely successful event. He has experience putting on various large and successful conventions, and we've begun to talk about how to proceed with one for BiggerPockets.

That said, while I'm confident in my ideas, I would love to get yours as well!

So . . . here are a few questions I've got for you....

1) If BiggerPockets put on a conference, would you want to attend?
2) Would you be willing to travel (fly) to attend such an event?
3) Do you think 2 days would be adequate for a first shot at it?
4) What kinds of ideas do you have for sessions?
5) What would a BP conference look like to you?
6) Of the real estate and other events that you've attended, what is the one thing that you've liked the most?
7) The least?

Feel free to add anything else to your post . . . I'm just looking to determine the level of enthusiasm and to get some ideas from all of you.

So . . . are you psyched?

15Reply
380 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
15y

Sounds awesome Josh!

1. I would definitely attend.

2. Yup...you would have to if you wanted to attend

3. 2 days is probably fine. I would love for it to be longer, but that is probably great for a first event

4. The sessions could have people present on different topics. There are tons of investors on here and I am sure you could start a thread to solicit interest from potential presenters. You could then have people vote on who they want to see present the most or some such

5. Half presentations and half mixers/networking. Perhaps a few hours of presentation followed by structure networking followed by more presentations followed by more networking

6. I think the best events are the ones that have people hit the highlights during their presentations and encourage networking. Hours and hours of lecture doesn't make for a very appealing event IMO

7. Events where people pitch stuff in their presentation or are non-experts on subjects with an agenda

I think one of the big things missing from the experience you are looking to create are local groups too. If BP could structure leaders for local groups and coordinate times for club meetings that would make the whole experience much more powerful IMO. I have met with many BP people by phone and in person and it adds a whole new dimension to the networking. Periodic structured BP club meetings would be very powerful.

See this reply in the discussion

246 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    Since people are craving an update, here it is.

    The BP team will soon have a new addition, and as such, I've been putting most of my time and energy into ensuring that happens. Once that happens (in the next 2 weeks), I'll be spending the following few weeks focused on an important project relevant to the future of the company. After that, I believe will be the appropriate time to start planning this thing . . . I hope that helps!

  • Rehabber · Fillmore, CA · Member since 2011 · 116 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    Josh,
    If your event is as informative & successful as BP forum is now, your conference will ROCK!!!!

    1) If BiggerPockets put on a conference, would you want to attend?
    YES!!

    2) Would you be willing to travel (fly) to attend such an event?
    Yes, but not too far as there is a need to adjust to time difference, especially 3 hours! The cost of flying in a day earlier to adjust is additional monies.

    3) Do you think 2 days would be adequate for a first shot at it?
    2 days would be perfect, otherwise it could be an overload

    4) What kinds of ideas do you have for sessions?
    My thoughts would be in categories- beginner-no experience, no flips or buy & holds, etc, complete virgin, sessions or education would be based on that
    medium experience-someone who has completed 3 or more-topics geared to that group
    advanced-same here too
    Private Funding is a real big topic.
    Basically attending different sessions, but certain topics require more time than others. Cant seat for the entire time, would lose the attendees, moving from room to room.
    Bottom line, topics that we can run with when we go home!

    5) What would a BP conference look like to you?
    Please dont use WF or BofA or any big banks because dealing with big banks on a daily basis havent convinced me that they are willing to work with consumers. I'd prefer to hear from some HML & Private Money speakers who actually can explain to us what they are looking for when they are approached by us. Possibly Credit Unions & Community Banks who have worked with RE Investors & share their criteria.
    Think I gave you feedback for this in the last question.

    6) Of the real estate and other events that you've attended, what is the one thing that you've liked the most?
    The educational part from experts & experienced investors from different parts of the country

    7) The least?
    Bringing in speakers whose goal is only to sell their products!!!!

    Feel free to add anything else to your post . . . I'm just looking to determine the level of enthusiasm and to get some ideas from all of you.
    For me, personally it is how to find private funding because I realize that our own cash can only do 2 deals at a time, so now we are looking to flip 3-4 at the same time. In order to accomplish this, I need to learn how to find private funding.

    So . . . are you psyched?
    1000%

    Debating to attend a 3 day Private Funding event in July, so if BP is having a conference, I'd forgo this, since it will cost me a lot of money! So I hope you can organize this soon! Will be in Hon & Kaui from end of Aug to Mid of Sept, hint, hint, LOL!!!
    Thank you so much for your BP Forum!! It has helped me with our Investing Journey!!!

  • Rehabber · Fillmore, CA · Member since 2011 · 116 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    Bryan is correct that not everybody has seen this thread, as I just am reading it tonight! I dont get to read it everyday!
    A survey to members would be a great idea! Looks like my comments are a bit late, but I did express my thoughts!
    Las Vegas would be great, LA even better, closer to me, LOL! Sun-Tues wuld be perfect, hotel rates are cheaper!

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Great to see more people opting in. Look forward to the event.

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 178 posts · 62 votes
    15y

    Very excited!

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2009 · 456 posts · 123 votes
    15y

    I like the idea of having people's avatars on their name badges - maybe not avatars but at least screennames would be nice. Even the people that have their real pics up may be hard to recognize when we first meet each other in person. It could just be like the real name on one line and then the screenname underneath.

  • Member since 2011 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    This would be an AMAZING event! Totally EXCITED!

  • Real Estate Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2011 · 30 posts · 4 votes
    15y

    Definatley have a local groups section so Oregon investors and connect with other Oregon investors etc. Good idea though.

    The KEY thing that will ruin it all and in the future is to prevent people from trying to sell things or promote their websites or whatever. That will turn everyone off. No Carleton Sheets presentations in other words.

  • Investor · Windsor, CO · Member since 2011 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    15y

    Josh, do the event in Denver so its close to home!

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    I've been talking with some people over the past few days about the event. I hope to start ramping up the next stages of planning over the coming weeks. I'll keep everyone posted as things develop.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y

    My vote remains for Vegas, good location for all, plenty of fun things to do, great food, and plenty of options for a venue.

    @Josh - Trying to pad your influnce stats are ya? I notice you received 2 votes for your post above mine, both by the same dude - Jon! Nice one.

  • Member since 2011 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    Will,
    I think Vegas may be potentially risky for investors.

    Some of us might not have any money left over to invest after hitting a few casinos.

    What would be the point of a BP conference then?

    :lol:

    Why not a beautiful Florida area or central US area?

    Though it should probably be closer to Josh so that he is easily able to plan it.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Will Barnard:
    @Josh - Trying to pad your influnce stats are ya? I notice you received 2 votes for your post above mine, both by the same dude - Jon! Nice one.

    A useful little trick I picked up from ACORN. (this is not a political post).

    Btw, if you are reading this and haven't posted on this thread, post now to let Josh know what you think of a BP conference.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 557 posts · 70 votes
    15y

    Vegas!

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    15y

    I've posted before on this. Since I'm moving from FL to 100 miles from Vegas, I guess I'd vote for it.There are always tremendous food and hotel deals to offset any losses at the tables-if you eat a WHOLE lot! Rich

  • Member since 2011 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    That's actually quite true! Accommodations can be very cheap in Vegas.

    One more vote for VEGAS!

  • Real Estate Investor · Hudson, NH · Member since 2011 · 76 posts · 25 votes
    15y

    Just stumbled onto this

    1) If BiggerPockets put on a conference, would you want to attend?

    Yes, I think this is a great idea!

    2) Would you be willing to travel (fly) to attend such an event?

    I would likely be willing to fly, schedule permitting.

    3) Do you think 2 days would be adequate for a first shot at it?

    Yes, I think this is totally appropriate

    4) What kinds of ideas do you have for sessions?

    Topics on various strategies, I think everything has been mentioned already.

    5) What would a BP conference look like to you?

    I would envision it with a morning and afternoon session, and steam release cocktail type networking at night. Say for Example, 50 minute blocks where you could choose from 3-4 different topics/presenters depending on where your interests lie.

    6) Of the real estate and other events that you've attended, what is the one thing that you've liked the most?

    The chance to meet new people and discuss different ideas that I may not have thought of/heard of.

    7) The least?
    Being restricted by experience... All the Newbies together, All the advanced people together. I would be very careful how you label the topics and levels. A person could be an expert in Landlording and multi's, but a novice at SFR Fix and Flip and Notes. Again, not sure how this will be structured, you obviously want something for all, but I would be careful not to bracket people too much, and let them choose on their own.

    Certainly interested to hear more about this idea!

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Josh, I am excited to see that you are moving forward with the planning process. I think a BP Conf. will provide a great & unique oppertunity for the members. If at all possible I will be there no matter where it is hosted.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Jon Klaus:
    A useful little trick I picked up from ACORN. (this is not a political post).

    BWAA! Too funny Jon!

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    With all the recent updates to the site, I have to think Josh is getting close picking up the planning for the event and I get very excited just thinking about. The opportunity to meet so many experienced investors from all types of investing areas and locations is one I will not pass out. I have been looking for a conference worth attending and it looks like I am going to have to wait it out until the BP conference.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    I think it is an appropriate time to give you guys an update.

    I had found someone who was very successful at planning events around the country, who was going to help me plan the BP event. Unfortunately, about a week and a half ago, out of nowhere, I was informed that he would not be able to help any longer. This news did not come well.

    I've been in touch with a few other people who have put on events, some of which are interested in helping, but their terms are not acceptable, in my book.

    So, I'm back at it - looking for someone to help take the reigns. I need someone who can help me put this thing on . . . and for their time, energy, and help, they will get a piece of what the event makes.

    I plan on doing it here in Denver - at least for the first one - and hopefully I can find someone here to jump in.

    Any takers?

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    It is too bad the person you had lined up backed out, but better now than later in the process and I am sure you will find a qualified event planner to make it happen. Do you have an idea of when you would like the event to take place?

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    James - I agree. I do actually have an idea for a great location that I want to put the event on at. Before I commit to a place or set a date, I need that right hand person....

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Vegas!

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2008 · 59 posts · 46 votes
    15y

    Given the workload Josh faces, Denver makes sense if he's wanting to keep the quality control close in. Knowing Josh, that rules out Vegas for the first conference. Makes sense.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.