Hey Bigger Pockets! I am looking to purchase a short term rental property along the South Carolina coast. I am not local to this area (I live in Utah). I am looking to make some connections and/or get some feedback from individuals that have STR's along the coast.
1. If you are a real estate investor in this market, can you share areas that you invest in or areas that you would recommend I buy in?
2. If you live in this area but do not invest, where are the best areas along the coast? (For example, I have heard that Myrtle Beach specifically is not the cleanest - but the beaches on either side are..)
Real Estate Agent · Myrtle Beach, SC · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 10 votes
4y
Hi, I am a Real Estate Agent in the Myrtle Beach area and would be happy to discuss the area with you. I do not have any investments yet, but am working towards that goal. As a REALTOR®, I do help many investors with these same issues. The beaches are all clean. The water is not crystal blue like the Caribbean or parts of Florida, but that is the nature of the current flows, but there are some distinctions in the areas along the coast that I can tell you about. With over 60 miles of beaches, there are many types of investments you could pursue from efficiency condos/hotel type rooms under $100,000 to multimillion homes. You have to be careful regarding HOA fees and any special assessments that may be involved. I would be glad to answer any questions and tell you more about the Grand Strand.
Realtor · Myrtle Beach, SC · Member since 2016 · 350 posts · 204 votes
4y
Hey Tyler, just wanted to touch on your second question. The bad PR that comes out of Myrtle Beach is generally rooted in an older part of town south of the boardwalk. If you look at a map, 1st Ave comes down and splits Ocean Ave into North Ocean and South Ocean. With the exception of Compass Cove and maybe 1-2 other resorts, I typically don't show my clients anything on South Ocean. Not to say you can't make any money down there, but those properties comes with some headaches. North Ocean, on the other hand, is littered with great properties, less crime, etc.