True. I talk to about 100 people a month and I would say roughly 50% didn't know about the second home occupancy loan and 80% surprised the rate similar to a primary residence.
@Jeff Chisum From what I heard from a lender, they are going to be getting much more expensive rendering them almost obsolete. Is that true?
I'd love to own a lake house some day, congrats on the purchase!
Thanks Cole! We love it there and own another home on a golf course about 20 minutes from the lake house.
Far from the truth. I visit with about 100 clients a month consulting on financing strategies around this asset class. 90% are surprised when I tell them the second home occupancy loan rates are similar to what you would get on a primary. Now rates will be similar to what is currently available for investment property loans. Still 10% down on a property that will out perform a LTR in cashflow and appreciation. I'm fine with the rate. Would I rather have it lower...sure. Obsolete...not even close.
Investor · NH · Member since 2020 · 175 posts · 75 votes
4y
@Jeff Chisum Thank you for the clarification! What are the occupancy rules for using the second home loan? I’ve heard it’s either 14 days or 10% of the days you rent it for.
@Jeff Chisum Thank you for the clarification! What are the occupancy rules for using the second home loan? I’ve heard it’s either 14 days or 10% of the days you rent it for.
“At some point during the year”. The 14 days and 10% of days…is all tied to business vs personal IRS
Real Estate Agent · Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 26 votes
4y
The requirements I read said it cannot have any agreements that put another company in control of occupancy, does that mean it can't be put in a property managers hands even if you occupy it at some point in time? Or just not before the sale can said agreements not be entered in to?
The requirements I read said it cannot have any agreements that put another company in control of occupancy, does that mean it can't be put in a property managers hands even if you occupy it at some point in time? Or just not before the sale can said agreements not be entered in to?
I have yet to come across a property management agreement that required the owner to make the property available “x” amount of days a year or they would be in breach of contract. So not an issue. Same with listing it on Airbnb or VRBO. Those sites do not facilitate legal lease agreements. So good there too
Lender · All 50 States · Member since 2020 · 248 posts · 142 votes
4y
Fannie Mae will allow an individual to have 10 mortgages in their name. Nothing to say those couldn't be all second home occupancy loans. I have the ability to do an additional 5 DSCR loans in the name of an LLC.
Investor · Metro East of St. Louis (Illinois) · Member since 2016 · 255 posts · 211 votes
4y
2nd home loans are getting more expensive, but that doesn't mean they're obsolete for every deal.
"This week, the Federal Housing Finance Agency announced it’s increasing the upfront fees for second-home loans sold to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac by as much as about 3.9% starting in April.
Redfin estimates that’ll cost a typical buyer an extra $13,500 on a $400,000 home. Fairweather said regulators may be trying to get a handle on what could be an emerging bubble in the housing market."
With 10% down are you stuck with PMI? Or did you get a second to cover?
Because it's an owner occupied product the rate is really low- typically .2-.24% of the loan amount. After two years you can have it reappraised to get rid of PMI. Better option than paying 5% on a second
Lender · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2019 · 175 posts · 82 votes
4y
@Jeff Chisum the rates will be right in top of investment for any ltv over 75. Other than going to 90 lc not much difference. I have found many clients were unwittingly committing mortgage fraud with second homes at least in first year of ownership as occupancy rider required that in first year it be used primarily for personal use after 12 month it no longer mattered and could be a full time rental.
Lender · All 50 States · Member since 2020 · 248 posts · 142 votes
4y
Subjective interpretation of the policy. All comes down to availability and control. Fannie modernized the policy to reflect was going on in this space. They are in the business of performing loans. They loved fully qualifying borrowers could supplement that ability with STR income.
Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y
@Jeff Chisum so can you use this loan and buy a second home and just rent it out 355 days of the year as a STR and just use it for 10 days a year as a second home?