Looking to Purchase Air Bnb in Tampa

Looking to Purchase Air Bnb in Tampa

Accountant · CT · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 9 votes

Hello everyone!

I'm in the beginning stages of looking for a vacation rental in the south Florida markets, specifically Tampa and Miami.

Any recommendations on agents who have dealt with STRs in the Tampa area?

Also, for investors currently in the Tampa markets, how is the STR market doing in your experience

I'm currently budgeting for a PP of $400k and under, but was pre approved for more so there is some wiggle room for the right deal.

If choosing to invest in southeast Florida, I would love to know how the condo STR's have been for the fellow investor also?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

7Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · St Petersburg, FL · Member since 2019 · 320 posts · 182 votes
4y

Hello Hieu - Tampa is not part of South Florida, but it is one, if not, the hottest markets in Florida. 

@Luke Rorech       may be able to help answer your questions!

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · St Petersburg, FL · Member since 2019 · 320 posts · 182 votes
    4y

    Hello Hieu - Tampa is not part of South Florida, but it is one, if not, the hottest markets in Florida. 

    @Luke Rorech       may be able to help answer your questions!

  • Real Estate Agent · Tarpon Springs, FL · Member since 2021 · 23 posts · 9 votes
    4y
    You might also want to look at Clearwater/Indian Rocks Beach (beaches about 30 minutes west of Tampa) or down in Sarasota/Manatee along the islands.

    I was in a closing with someone the other day who said her boyfriend is making about $22K per month on a small townhouse. All the tourists want to walk across the street to the beach when they come to Florida. :)
  • Raymond J. RodriguesBusiness Member
    Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 797 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Hieu Nguyen:

    Hello everyone!

    I'm in the beginning stages of looking for a vacation rental in the south Florida markets, specifically Tampa and Miami.

    Any recommendations on agents who have dealt with STRs in the Tampa area?

    Also, for investors currently in the Tampa markets, how is the STR market doing in your experience

    I'm currently budgeting for a PP of $400k and under, but was pre approved for more so there is some wiggle room for the right deal.

    If choosing to invest in southeast Florida, I would love to know how the condo STR's have been for the fellow investor also?

    Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

    If you’re looking to do short term rentals in the Tampa Bay Area I recommend you speak to @Nicole Shaw. If you are looking in the Miami market(my local area), I suggest you speak to @Malgorzata Sadowska. They are both a wealth of knowledge. 


  • Investor · NH · Member since 2020 · 175 posts · 75 votes
    4y

    @Hieu Nguyen Condos can be very lucrative from what I have seen in Tampa Bay, but a lot of them do not allow using it as a STR. Make sure to check with each individual community to see if they allow it!

    I'm a new investor just getting started with STRs in the Tampa market, and @Mya Toohey has been a wealth of knowledge in helping me so far! 

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2021 · 383 posts · 389 votes
    4y

    @Hieu Nguyen

    In my experience, 400 SFR should bring you 60-80k in gross short term rental income. I would target areas like VM Ybor, Seminole Heights and Wellswood. There are currently no restrictions on short term rental in Tampa proper (City of Tampa limits).

    Yes, condos can be very lucrative, but as a poster mentioned above lots of them have restrictions and if they currently don't many of their HOA's are considering it as Tampa is becoming a hot spot for AirBNB travel.

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 630 posts · 303 votes
    4y

    @Kristina Kuba

    I thought all of Hillsborough County has a 7 night minimum?...that's really good to hear!!!!!  If I have anyone looking in Tampa, I can send them your way, if you would like to do some referrals?  I specialize in short term rentals in Pinellas County. Beach areas mostly.   I found 23 allowable nightly rentals ranging from $350-1.7 million, some even in Clearwater and St. Pete....and yes, they ARE allowable!  There are areas that do not have restrictions, you just have to know how to find them.   

  • Real Estate Agent · Greater Tampa Bay · Member since 2017 · 392 posts · 290 votes
    4y

    I've called Tampa's zoning department and Tampa is technically a 7 day minimum, just like Hillsborough County. Unlike Hills. County though, it's not enforced. @Kristina Kuba, please correct me if I'm wrong? 

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2021 · 383 posts · 389 votes
    4y

    Hi @Luke Rorech,

    People have been told a variety of different responses over the phone. Where in the municipal code does it say anything that would be restricted within City of Tampa limits? 

  • Real Estate Agent · Greater Tampa Bay · Member since 2017 · 392 posts · 290 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Kristina Kuba:

    Hi @Luke Rorech,

    People have been told a variety of different responses over the phone. Where in the municipal code does it say anything that would be restricted within City of Tampa limits? 


     Solid point. I’ll look into that. Thanks. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 630 posts · 303 votes
    4y

    @Luke Rorech @Kristina Kuba

    Yeah, it's hard...that's why I stick to my side of the beaches...LOL...I know everything over here!!!!  Happy to work out a referral with you all if you want to bring a client down here...I could help find, you work with client and show houses, just shoot back a referral fee for doing the finding...just a thought...let's all work together!  

  • Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Mya Toohey:

    @Kristina Kuba

    I thought all of Hillsborough County has a 7 night minimum?...that's really good to hear!!!!!  If I have anyone looking in Tampa, I can send them your way, if you would like to do some referrals?  I specialize in short term rentals in Pinellas County. Beach areas mostly.   I found 23 allowable nightly rentals ranging from $350-1.7 million, some even in Clearwater and St. Pete....and yes, they ARE allowable!  There are areas that do not have restrictions, you just have to know how to find them.   


    I also thought Hillsborough had a 7 night minimum and St. Pete and Clearwater was 30 days. I'm interested in getting a STR in Hillsborough or Pinellas County if you have leads. I'm interested to hear more about the Clearwater/St. Pete areas that allow nightly rentals. I had not heard that or have seen where that is documented. Please send my way.

  • Raymond J. RodriguesBusiness Member
    Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 797 votes
    4y

    Hi @Jennifer Jackson. @Nicole Shaw has assisted quite a few of my clients with finding short term rentals in the Pinellas/Clearwater area. Feel free to reach out to her, she’s great! 

  • Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Raymond J. Rodrigues:

    Hi @Jennifer Jackson. @Nicole Shaw has assisted quite a few of my clients with finding short term rentals in the Pinellas/Clearwater area. Feel free to reach out to her, she’s great! 

     @Raymond J. Rodrigues thank you for the referral!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.