No financials for B&B = Skip or Buy?

No financials for B&B = Skip or Buy?

Member since 2022 · 40 posts · 3 votes

Several Bed & Breakfast propertied are for sale but the seller don't have or don't want to share any financials....preventing me form getting an SBA loan.

Do you recommend to skip or still place offers?

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Greg PowersPro Member
Real Estate Agent · Manchester, NH · Member since 2013 · 120 posts · 159 votes
4y

Offer to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement.  If they still refuse to share, then go ahead and make an offer contingent upon reviewing them to your satisfaction.  If they still won't share them, calculate your own numbers, then lowball them.  

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    When I evaluate a property I count the number of beds it will hold. I multiply that number by $200. I multiply the resulting number by 26. If the purchase price is less then the second number I buy it. But I'm not in the typical re market. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    Skip of course. They probably have something to hide.

  • Benjamin AakerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Brandon, SD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Sometimes the seller is reluctant to give out those numbers to anybody on first blush. It might not mean they are hiding anything. Put in an offer contingent on reviewing those financials. You could even have the offer state you will review financials before depositing earnest money. That way you can exit the deal if they numbers don't work.
  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2018 · 93 posts · 54 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Paul Sandhu:

    When I evaluate a property I count the number of beds it will hold. I multiply that number by $200. I multiply the resulting number by 26. If the purchase price is less then the second number I buy it. But I'm not in the typical re market. 

    It should all be this easy.
  • Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 203 posts · 188 votes
    4y

    I feel that sellers are reluctant to give financial details for three different reasons:

    1. They have been cheating on their taxes for years and are uncomfortable sharing.  You would need to make the financials a contingency and do a deep dive to reconcile their financial numbers with the "real" numbers.

    2. They are uncomfortable giving them out to everyone, so they want a more serious buyer before disclosing.  A contingency clause fixes this.

    3. This is probably the most common.  Their business isn't making hardly any money once they pay to replace their own labor.  Who wants to buy a business that nets 75k per year and the husband/wife both work 60 hours a week?  This business won't want to disclose financials at all, with the hope a dreaming buyer comes along...

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 543 posts · 716 votes
    4y
    Quote from @David Smith:

    Several Bed & Breakfast propertied are for sale but the seller don't have or don't want to share any financials....preventing me form getting an SBA loan.

    Do you recommend to skip or still place offers?


     I’ve bought Airbnbs that are barely bringing in 100 K in annual revenue. Then I take ownership and get them over 200 K revenue per year. What they’re earning is totally irrelevant, it’s all about your vision for the property. And your business acumen

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    So @Benjamin Aaker has a point @David Smith. When we were looking at BnB's way back, we had to jump through a few hoops to get a look at their full financials. Did you discuss with them why they won't disclose?

    We used a specialty real estate firm in New Hampshire (we were looking in the New England) and they pretty much handled all the hoops. Pretty much just verifying that we were serious. We did fly 3500 miles to check out the area. :)

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y

    Barriers to some are good opportunities for others who can figure it out.

  • Greg PowersPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Manchester, NH · Member since 2013 · 120 posts · 159 votes
    4y

    Offer to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement.  If they still refuse to share, then go ahead and make an offer contingent upon reviewing them to your satisfaction.  If they still won't share them, calculate your own numbers, then lowball them.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.