Airbnb/STR’s in St. Petersburg

Airbnb/STR’s in St. Petersburg

New to Real Estate · Naples, FL · Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 0 votes

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone on here has purchased a short-term rental/Airbnb property in St. Petersburg, Florida? I have been looking to buy my first investment property, and really have an interest towards airbnb! I don’t know much about the St. Petersburg area, so any advice or information is really helpful! I live a few hours away, so I would be within driving distance to the property. My current city in FL has extremely strict rules for rentals, which is why I’m looking into other cities in Florida. Before purchasing anything I wanted to get as much information on other markets and peoples experiences with the area. Thanks!!

0Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 159 posts · 121 votes
4y

St Pete actually doesn't allow short-term rental. Focus your search on unincorporated Pinellas County, Largo, or Indian rocks beach. It's allowed in those areas. feel free to reach out if you have further questions. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2020 · 285 posts · 318 votes
    4y

    @Matthew Hunter here's a list of regulations in Pinellas County: https://pinellasrealtor.org/sh...

    You have plenty of options across FL and you don't need to be near your property to have a successful STR. Good luck and feel free to DM me with any questions!

  • New to Real Estate · Naples, FL · Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jimmy Woodard:

    @Matthew Hunter here's a list of regulations in Pinellas County: https://pinellasrealtor.org/sh...

    You have plenty of options across FL and you don't need to be near your property to have a successful STR. Good luck and feel free to DM me with any questions!


     Thanks a lot!

  • Real Estate Agent · orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 159 posts · 121 votes
    4y

    St Pete actually doesn't allow short-term rental. Focus your search on unincorporated Pinellas County, Largo, or Indian rocks beach. It's allowed in those areas. feel free to reach out if you have further questions. 

  • Raymond J. RodriguesBusiness Member
    Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 797 votes
    4y

    @Matthew Hunter, reach out to @Nicole Shaw. She has helped quite a few people that I know acquire short term rentals in the area. I hope this recommendation helps! 

  • New to Real Estate · Naples, FL · Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Raymond J. Rodrigues:

    @Matthew Hunter, reach out to @Nicole Shaw. She has helped quite a few people that I know acquire short term rentals in the area. I hope this recommendation helps! 


     Thanks! It helps a lot!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 56 posts · 16 votes
    4y

    Hi @Matthew Hunter, I've actually worked with several real estate investors all over Florida. Need to be careful, some areas, like City of St. Petersburg do have some restrictions on what you can do as far as STR, but its not entirely impossible. Happy to help any way I can, please do not hesitate to reach out.

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2020 · 40 posts · 19 votes
    4y

    Matthew, I would focus on STR markets that have been established for at least a decade before investing. You hear stories of counties flip flopping on STR restrictions and banning STRs wholly or partially in many areas where markets are not yet established. This is a big problem. If you want to stay in FL, try Emerald Coast. Like others say in this thread, you don't need to be close at all to manage it. If you need a good agent, search around on the forum for agents who invest themselves. You can try @Matt "Roar" Gardner and @Melissa Haworth as well.

  • New to Real Estate · Naples, FL · Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Carlos Garcia:

    Matthew, I would focus on STR markets that have been established for at least a decade before investing. You hear stories of counties flip flopping on STR restrictions and banning STRs wholly or partially in many areas where markets are not yet established. This is a big problem. If you want to stay in FL, try Emerald Coast. Like others say in this thread, you don't need to be close at all to manage it. If you need a good agent, search around on the forum for agents who invest themselves. You can try @Matt "Roar" Gardner and @Melissa Haworth as well.

    @Carlos Garcia Thanks a lot for the recommendation! I know cities are very back and forth on what restrictions they put in place for STR's…that's the case in my city which is why I'm trying to study other markets. Thanks again for the advice!

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 452 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Carlos Garcia:

    Matthew, I would focus on STR markets that have been established for at least a decade before investing. You hear stories of counties flip flopping on STR restrictions and banning STRs wholly or partially in many areas where markets are not yet established. This is a big problem. If you want to stay in FL, try Emerald Coast. Like others say in this thread, you don't need to be close at all to manage it. If you need a good agent, search around on the forum for agents who invest themselves. You can try @Matt "Roar" Gardner and @Melissa Haworth as well.

     @Carlos Garcia - As always, we appreciate the love! 

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg FL · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Mike Shulman:

    St Pete actually doesn't allow short-term rental. Focus your search on unincorporated Pinellas County, Largo, or Indian rocks beach. It's allowed in those areas. feel free to reach out if you have further questions. 

     @Mike Shulman Great piece of advice here!

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2020 · 40 posts · 19 votes
    4y

    Would also recommend @Melissa Haworth for Emerald Coast STRs if you're still looking there.  Her and her team are immersed there and are investors themselves.

  • Investor · St Petersburg, FL · Member since 2014 · 231 posts · 221 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Carlos Garcia:

    Matthew, I would focus on STR markets that have been established for at least a decade before investing. You hear stories of counties flip flopping on STR restrictions and banning STRs wholly or partially in many areas where markets are not yet established. This is a big problem. If you want to stay in FL, try Emerald Coast. Like others say in this thread, you don't need to be close at all to manage it. If you need a good agent, search around on the forum for agents who invest themselves. You can try @Matt "Roar" Gardner and @Melissa Haworth as well.


    As I understood it, the state of Florida preempts STR laws, meaning the local governments don't get to make their own rules. Local governments were allowed to grandfather in their existing laws, but no changes were allowed, except for removing all local restrictions and reverting to state preemtion. So if the City of St Petersburg, for instance, tried to change their rules, they'd revert to state law and be totally open for STR business. Did I get that wrong?

    So it seems to me, with that understanding, that if you can comply with the law in whatever municipality you're in, you can bet those laws will stay the same, or revert to state law, but not get more restrictive.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.