Fire Pits: Liability and potential ROI

Fire Pits: Liability and potential ROI

Investor · Maggie Valley, NC · Member since 2020 · 284 posts · 85 votes

What do you all think of adding a fire pit to an Airbnb? -- Surprisingly I have not found many posts on this topic. 

I am about to do the landscaping on my renovation and am debating whether or not to level out an area in the front and add a fire pit. 

Is there a general consensus among hosts regarding potential liability issues and the potential ROI?

Thanks. 

0Reply
54 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · CA · Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 14 votes
4y

I had the same question and decided to add one to our Lake Michigan rental. I called the fire marshal to check the rules + confirmed with our insurance that it wouldn't be an issue. Once they both gave me the green light, I decided to go for it. Handyman is building it as we speak.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Helen, GA · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 68 votes
    4y

    We have a fire pit at one of our properties in the mountains. 

    Its a very inexpensive way to improve the property and give it something special.

    We haven't had any issues with liability issues. 

  • Helen, GA · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 68 votes
    4y

    By the way, my family used to have a placed in Maggie Valley--its a beautiful area!

  • Investor · Maggie Valley, NC · Member since 2020 · 284 posts · 85 votes
    4y

    @Rolly Weaver I figured it was fine but just wanted to be sure. Yeah, I sure enjoy it out here.

  • Property Manager · Maggie Valley, NC · Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 12 votes
    4y

    Fire pits are a must is our opinion in Maggie. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    No issues as long as you don't have fire restriction or ban. Make it solid and safe, include instructions on how they should extinguish it.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · CA · Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 14 votes
    4y

    I had the same question and decided to add one to our Lake Michigan rental. I called the fire marshal to check the rules + confirmed with our insurance that it wouldn't be an issue. Once they both gave me the green light, I decided to go for it. Handyman is building it as we speak.

  • Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 463 posts · 507 votes
    4y

    @Kyler J Sloan. I've had similar concerns. Maggie Valley and Bryson City alike have had wildfires in the last 2 weeks. I'd hate to be involved in causing one. 

    One thing that can help a lot is preventing ambers from floating away in the wind. People will burn leaves and paper products in your firepit, which poses a significant risk. Thus we have what looks like a small chimney with a screen on top. 

    Also, if you surround the firepit area with pavestones or gravel this will help a lot as well. Even if some ambers catch wind, most of them won't travel too far, so having a stone landing for such an issue will help. 

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    I've built 3 firepits for my STRs. All you need is an angle grinder, welder and the material. My biggest one is 4'x4'. My renters are traveling workers. Some of them have access to all the wooden pallets that they want. They bring the pallets to the STR, dismantle and burn them while drinking beer. One time the fire department came out because the flames were too high. That only happened once. That fire pit was on a gravel pad.

  • Investor · Maggie Valley, NC · Member since 2020 · 284 posts · 85 votes
    4y

    @Mitch Davidson The wildfires are what got me second-guessing, but I will definitely be sure to take all of the precautions I can. Gravel for sure, and I'll also look into adding a chimney. 

    Below is one that happened just recently. 

  • Derek LarsonPro Member
    Investor · Traverse City, MI · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 12 votes
    4y

    I have a propane firepit.  I do not love them personally but they are very convenient on and off- and little less worry about them burning down the house and forest.   I have stayed and multiple AirBnb's with wood firepits and even indoor stoves.  No issues, but my group is always responsible.  If it was my own I might be a little nervous, but if others in the neighborhood have the same, so I would probably be fine. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.