Cost to Furnish an Airbnb

Cost to Furnish an Airbnb

Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 14 votes

What is the typical range to expect for costs

to furnish an entire property for a STR?

I know there are factors that play into that like size of the property and how high end you want to make it. But i just wouldn’t even know what range to expect at all.

3Reply
214 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 35 posts · 44 votes
4y

@Mary Ciccarelli

As you stated, everywhere will be different based on property size and type of furniture. For a 2 bedroom, 1 bath (823 sq) apartment, it cost me a total of 5K for all supplies to get it up and running (2 beds, 2 mattresses, TV, couch, etc). I started a business account (discounts!) with Wayfair and that's where the majority of the things came from. Hope this helps! 

See this reply in the discussion

44 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 35 posts · 44 votes
    4y

    @Mary Ciccarelli

    As you stated, everywhere will be different based on property size and type of furniture. For a 2 bedroom, 1 bath (823 sq) apartment, it cost me a total of 5K for all supplies to get it up and running (2 beds, 2 mattresses, TV, couch, etc). I started a business account (discounts!) with Wayfair and that's where the majority of the things came from. Hope this helps! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles CA · Member since 2021 · 28 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    @Shamar G. How is wayfair? it seems like such a scam of a website. haha maybe because I am not familiar but you haven’t had any issues?

  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 35 posts · 44 votes
    4y

    @Marco Egurvide

    Haha, I can assure you they're legit! My advice though, make sure you read through reviews thoroughly and measure the dimensions of what you're purchasing. They also have a pretty good refund/return policy as well! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockville, MD · Member since 2021 · 37 posts · 32 votes
    4y

    Hi @Marco Egurvide,

    We've bought a lot of furniture from Wayfair, and we were happy with most of it. We returned what we did not like and it was hassle-free experience.

    I fully agree with Shamar - pay close attention to the measures and reviews.

    Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles CA · Member since 2021 · 28 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    @Shamar G. @Tal Shachar appreciate the feedback. Really good to hear there were good experiences.

  • Investor · TX · Member since 2020 · 57 posts · 60 votes
    4y

    Some of the factors to consider: What do close STR competition have in it, size, are you doing a super STR, or just a standard STR, etc...

    Just furnished 2 standard STR in the last 6 months in San Antonio TX. 3/2/2 1500sf STR in nice locations with 20min to everything in a standard working class area. The stuff you buy new - Couches, mattresses, chairs (anything that can have bed bugs), TVs. Stuff you buy used - Washer/dryers, TV stands, dressers, end tables, coffee tables, pretty much everything else. We paid the kids to refinish the old furniture. We did very simple decorating with area carpet, large lamps, decorative chairs, benches, light pics on walls. Bought a ton of stuff on Facebook marketplace and Amazon, all in for the 3 bedroom was was approx 10k. Remember, thats for a standard simple nice STR. I had an associate that did a super STR and spent 75k. A simple one is plenty of profit in TX. Just know the market.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    For 2 bed king frames & mattresses (Zinus), 4 end tables, 4-5 person sectional couch with Ottoman (living spaces), coffee table, dinner table, 4 chairs, 2 entry/mudroom benches and 2 dressers I was right around $9K. All moderate quality but nothing luxury. It's worth it to spend more for durability and to look nice because you will save more in the long run not replacing it and your guests will be happy. However past a certain price point of luxury you are just throwing money away for something that won't get you any extra in return. For example, the stainless OXO utensils from BBB will last much longer than the low end stuff and your guests will be happy using them, but William Sonoma would be excessive.

    On Wayfair you need to filter aggressively because they number of options is overwhelming. Filter for "solid wood" for any hard furniture if possible. I bought metal dining chairs because those tend to take the most abuse. I like Overstock too but like Wayfair there is lots of noise (ie garbage). Immediately after you close, have the mail forwarded to your home address and USPS will give you a 15% Overstock coupon. 

  • Quinn OlivarezBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 115 posts · 131 votes
    4y

    Dollars per square foot is a decent way to approximate furniture cost. If you go below $10/sqft, you'll be looking at something that is probably "average" in terms of appearance, function and comfort. $15/sqft goes a long way in making a place look better, but yes that's also a lot more cost. I spent about $15/sqft setting up a Galveston TX STR recently and imo it has better accommodations and decor than 90% of comps in my market. Going higher than that is probably overkill unless you're designing a luxury space.

    Quinn Olivarez @ J. Lindsey Properties57 Reviews
  • Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 14 votes
    4y

    @Quinn Olivarez @Shamar G. @James Wenzel @Jonathan W Martin and these costs include all the little items needed to fill the kitchen and bathrooms, etc? Big question is how did you finance this part? Did you take out an additional loan?

    I likely won’t have the cash and I don’t have another property where I can borrow money from the equity. This would be my first property.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    That was purely the furniture, as in what we rest and eat on inside the house. I am slightly under $10/sf for those, but if you add sheets, towels, decorations, cooking utensils, patio furniture, BBQ, security etc I am probably  at another $4K for a 1100 SF 2/1. Where it gets confusing is things like the fridge and washer/dryer, which are sometimes included but for me they were not, at which point I am about at $15/SF. 

    As for financing, I used a HELOC on my primary.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    @Mary Ciccarelli, if you can't afford to furnish and equip the STR, then I would wait and build up more cash. You sound like you might get strapped just with the purchase of the property and taking out a personal loan to furnish could push you over the edge.

    Do you have some storage space? Start hunting on Facebook Marketplace, Offer UP and my favorite - Craigslist. Focus on USA made used furniture rather than made in China stuff that is new. It can be had for pennies on the dollar. I furnished our whole place off those 3 sites. Some things were free, some things were $25. Got a 8 place oak dining and buffet for $100.

    You can buy filler items from Wayfair or eBay or Amazon, but I would stick with used USA made furniture.

    As for the rest, I have posted a ton on this topic so do a search and you will find lists of items and how they have been working. There is a lot of stuff to think about.

  • Quinn OlivarezBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 115 posts · 131 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Mary Ciccarelli:

    @Quinn Olivarez @Shamar G. @James Wenzel @Jonathan W Martin and these costs include all the little items needed to fill the kitchen and bathrooms, etc? Big question is how did you finance this part? Did you take out an additional loan?

    I likely won’t have the cash and I don’t have another property where I can borrow money from the equity. This would be my first property.


    You shouldn’t finance these things except in unique circumstances. If cost is a barrier, consider taking on a partner, or waiting longer to execute. Yes, this cost included filling out just about everything from kitchen supplies to linens. 

    Quinn Olivarez @ J. Lindsey Properties57 Reviews
  • Investor · Meridian, ID · Member since 2018 · 86 posts · 39 votes
    4y

    Square footage & number of bedrooms dictate the cost a LOT. And the difference of buying everything brand new and having it delivered to the house for install versus hustling and buying 50-75% of everything on facebook marketplace. For reference we've furnished three 4-bedroom rentals all around 2000 sq ft doing about 50% used FB marketplace and 50% new and costs came in around $12-15k in the Boise Idaho area. 

  • Realtor · St. Petersburg FL · Member since 2020 · 37 posts · 71 votes
    4y

    @Mary Ciccarelli 4 bed, 1500 to 2000 sq ft is 15K.

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    Did a 3/2 2000sft for $26k. Part of that was 2500 for a designer to buy and set up everything. Mid grade furniture. 

    If I did it again I would have spent 15k myself and it would have looked exactly the same as I would have shopped for more bargains. 

    You can get a 1k couch or you can get a 15k couch, so the range varies GREATLY on how much this sort of thing costs. 

  • Contractor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2019 · 138 posts · 132 votes
    4y

    @Mary Ciccarelli

    It’s all going to depend on the level of quality you’re trying to get.

    I would say averaging anywhere between seven and $15 a square foot

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 887 posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Mary Ciccarelli on my last deal I spent way more on furnishing and decor than I anticipated. It really depends on the size of the place. For instance I had to buy 5 mattresses, 4 TVs, couches, arm chairs, stock a full kitchen etc., etc. Whatever you think you're going to spend, at least add another 50% to that. That would be my advice.

    My last one was about 20-25k this was a 3/3 2,800 sqft. You can get by for less, but you are going to sacrifice quality. For instance getting cheap "bed in a box" that are extremely uncomfortable. Also, not everyone has time to spend weeks shopping on Craigslist finding deals on used stuff. I had to get my place completely ready in 2 weeks, which meant buying from local stores with stocked items. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Mary Ciccarelli:

    What is the typical range to expect for costs

    to furnish an entire property for a STR?

    I know there are factors that play into that like size of the property and how high end you want to make it. But i just wouldn’t even know what range to expect at all.

    My STR manager pays for the furniture up front and takes a monthly payment until she is re-paid. While other people like @Marc Rice do things differently. I think $6-$10k is an average cost for a 1-3 bed house.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2021 · 104 posts · 30 votes
    4y

    I took a several day class from someone who is a big player in real estate investing in Texas, including owning several airbnbs they bought, renovated and furnished. (It was one of those classes that you wonder why it is so cheap, then they try and sell you a $20,000 mentorship at the end.) There was some good information, including cost to furnish and accessorize an airbnb of $10,000. They said not to skimp on mattress quality and to do high thread count white sheets like a hotel. They said to have a theme or to have fun with color and decor to make it memorable and exciting for guests. Another thing they always do is convert the garage to a bunk room, adding 4-6 guests! Of course if you are on septic, you risk blowing it out. I also wondered about towns having occupancy limits and big groups pissing off the neighbors and having them call you out to the town. Back to furniture, I became friends with a lady with a beautiful airbnb I stayed at in Rockport/Fulton Texas. She had a two family, a cottage and a garage on one property a block from the bay. The cottage was a SFR. In the two family she rented out the downstairs studio apartment and she and her husband lived upstairs, but they would also leave and rent out the whole property sometimes and even had a wedding there. (She is a minister and she officiated!!!) When I needed to stay longer term and she had bookings downstairs, she rented me the guest room in their home. She bought a lot of the furniture, which was lovely and fairly high end looking, including the furniture in the room she rented me, at estate sales. They had a hitch on their truck and an open trailer for moving stuff. I just looked it up so I could show you pictures and it looks like she sold it to someone who is renting the whole property (three units) for over $500 a night! (Look up Rockport Retreat Hot Tub Golf Cart in Fulton, TX if you are curious- but is was prettier when she owned it.) As someone who has stayed in way too many airbnb's, if you don't have a knack for decorating, or are color blind, enlist the help of a friend who has those skills or hire an interior design student. I used to do designer show homes on a shoe string budget and if you hit flea markets, moving sales and estate sales, you can save tons of money. I can't tell you how many airbnbs I have stayed in that are comfortable and functional but don't look that great. Good luck and I hope you have fun with it.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2021 · 104 posts · 30 votes
    4y

    @James Wenzel good advice re bed bugs. They can actually crawl into wooden furniture joints but are much less prevalent. I was an antique dealer from 2012-2016 and about half way through many of my colleagues and I stopped reselling upholstered furniture and also stopped picking up furniture from unknown sources. (Meaning free, by the side of the road, LOL.)

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2021 · 104 posts · 30 votes
    4y

    @James Wenzel good advice re bed bugs. They can actually crawl into wooden furniture joints but are much less prevalent. I was an antique dealer from 2012-2016 and about half way through many of my colleagues and I stopped reselling upholstered furniture and also stopped picking up furniture from unknown sources. (Meaning free, by the side of the road, LOL.)

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    @Mary Ciccarelli Here in Orlando, we have resort communities that are master planned developments. Being that the floorplans are very similar in these communities, it's much easier for us to calculate the cost of furnishing a unit based on bedroom count.

    Professional interior designers in this market will generally quote somewhere close to $10k per room, which also includes furniture for the outdoor patio and living areas, as well as 1 uniquely themed room, all with hotel quality furnishings.

    So a typical 5 bed might cost around $45-50k for everything down to linens and utensils.

    Of course, labor is involved in this cost as well. If you're doing the furnishing and sourcing yourself without theming, it might cost half this amount in your market.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    About $1000 to furnish a 2-3 bedroom house.  I buy most everything at an estate auction.  The 4 appliances, furniture and other minor things.  I get all my supplies (sheets, towels) from WalMart.

  • Realtor · PInellas County Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 902 posts · 810 votes
    4y

    Like everyone is saying -- it will depend.  

    It depends on the level you need.  If it's a luxury rental, it will NEED luxury finishes.  If it's a beach rental, it should be beach-chic-ish, which can be expensive or not.  If it's somewhere that will have a lot of very short stays, you can go the modern hotel route.

    It's also very dependent on if you want to spend time for money.  You can hire a decorator at 100-200/hour and pay markups on all the décor, or you can spend hours on FB marketplace and thrift stores hand-picking every item and saving thousands.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    We have 2 STRs, and it cost about $3k or less (not counting appliances) each to furnish them in a relatively higher-end manner. We used primarily 'nicer' thrift stores and less expensive antiques. Nice Yard sales and Estate sales. Amazon for some stuff like mattresses and such. All dishes, silverware, pots/pans, etc, came from Goodwill for pennies. Walmart had some of the nicest sheets we could find.

    The only 'problem' with this approach is that it is time intensive. The Owner or someone whose taste they trust must do all the searching and shopping. But we had the time and found it quite fun to be honest....took our truck and made a day of it, combined with a nice lunch somewhere.

    Don't think these are cheap places, they are most definitely not. Really nice, both decorated in a Western theme complete with spurs, lariats, one-of-a-kind western art (you can find unframed art and make frames yourself), antique furniture. etc. 

    And you save tens of thousands by doing it this way.

    Or you can spend $30k and have it look like a fancy hotel room....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.