My first bigger pockets post! We are considering purchasing a vacation home in the next year that will also serve as a short-term rental when we aren't using it. We live on the east coast and would love something accessible by a short-flight and would be reasonably easy to manage from a distance. We are looking for a beach community. I am hoping to get a recommendation on a market or a turn-key short-term rental property business that I could look into. Thanks.
Investor · United States · Member since 2020 · 202 posts · 284 votes
4y
The answer to this question changes constantly as real estate values evolve. If you’re investing primarily for return (instead of personal preferences beyond money making) you should choose the market with low priced homes relative to current and long-term revenue/ appreciation potential. Most people on here will recommend a market that worked great for them when they invested 1-2 years ago, but if you bought there now your return would be substantially lower due to massive appreciation that already happened in 20-21 … use mashvisor, Pricelabs, Airdna, Zillow, Rabbu, Google, etc to decide for yourself where is best. Don’t be afraid to get under the hood and get your hands dirty with analysis. It’s time consuming, but not rocket science - all basics arithmetic we learned in grade school. Good luck!
Realtor · OK · Member since 2020 · 139 posts · 165 votes
4y
Hi Gbenga, congratulations on your first post! Destin and Miramar Beach have great beach communities and also a strong short term rental market. It’s also within 5 hours drivable distance of most states in the southern region. Lots of resources here if you have more questions about our market.
Real Estate Agent · Destin, FL · Member since 2019 · 116 posts · 111 votes
4y
Hi there! Congratulations on taking the first step! I am a realtor in the FL Panhandle (from Panama City Beach to Pensacola) and we have a very strong short term and long term rental market. I often fly to NY (only an hour and a half flight).
Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2021 · 71 posts · 49 votes
4y
Hello!
Welcome to Bigger Pockets! I own Vacation Rentals in Panama City Beach, Orlando, & Maui. Of those, it sounds like Panama City Beach may be the most feasible market. It is a great beach town, with a better purchase price than some other high-end markets. If you are interested in revenue projections or property management feel free to reach out!
Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2021 · 65 posts · 53 votes
4y
Hello Gbenga! Welcome to Bigger Pockets! I would definitely consider Florida. A lot of people are moving to Florida ever since the pandemic so anywhere you decide I am sure it will be profitable. Port Charlotte, Sarasota, and Clearwater are some examples of great beach towns that allow STRs. Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss your options further!
Investor · United States · Member since 2020 · 202 posts · 284 votes
4y
The answer to this question changes constantly as real estate values evolve. If you’re investing primarily for return (instead of personal preferences beyond money making) you should choose the market with low priced homes relative to current and long-term revenue/ appreciation potential. Most people on here will recommend a market that worked great for them when they invested 1-2 years ago, but if you bought there now your return would be substantially lower due to massive appreciation that already happened in 20-21 … use mashvisor, Pricelabs, Airdna, Zillow, Rabbu, Google, etc to decide for yourself where is best. Don’t be afraid to get under the hood and get your hands dirty with analysis. It’s time consuming, but not rocket science - all basics arithmetic we learned in grade school. Good luck!
Rental Property Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2017 · 220 posts · 101 votes
4y
Hey! Well, you definitely have a lot of options! A lot of great beach communities that perform decently well as a short term rental where you can get killer cashflow. I got quite a few suggestions. I'll PM you
Unfortunately a lot of the beach areas of FL have been cracking down on STRs. But over here where I am located in Bradenton, there are no restrictions as of yet. The Anna Maria Island / Longboat Key areas are great for STRs, I would recommend taking a look over here. Feel free to reach out to me if you would like any more information on the area.
Investor · SC NC, VA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
4y
Hi, you need to decide whether the foremost purpose is revenue generation or a place to build family memories. If revenue generation, you need to look at it from The standpoint of others - beach, lazy river, restaurants, child care, amusements, etc.. all add substantial costs in the form of HOA fees.
If primarily as a place for you to vacation and you want revenue generation just to help that, you may want to stay away from the condo-hotel concept as it can get quite crowded and use of the amenities can get quite competitive in-season.
I would also suggest you start reading up on the pros and cons. Also, start digging into financial concepts such as Operational Expenses, Income, Net Operating Income, chart of accounts, debt servicing, management and reservation fees, capital expenses, pre-tax cash flow, depreciation and depreciation recapture, capital gains, etc…
I live in North Myrtle Beach and have a few rental houses on the beach along with commercial properties Elsewhere. Concentrate on reducing your risk by getting as educated as possible before making a move.
Welcome to Bigger Pockets! As others have said, Myrtle Beach is a great place to invest. Around 14 million people come here yearly to have fun in the sun. Makes for good rental opportunities. I own two properties here and they have been good for cashflow and appreciation. Check it out!
Realtor · PInellas County Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 902 posts · 810 votes
4y
Tampa Bay, specifically Pinellas County, has been a vacation-home Mecca for over a century and we shouldn't ever have a drop-off in occupancy. There's plenty of beach -- from the county:
35 miles of powdery white beaches and nearly 588 miles of coastline. And, with an average of 361 days of sunny weather each year, you can enjoy the surf, sun and sand just about whenever you would like.
And the great news, with the ever-changing vacation home landscape, is that Florida passed a bill that any town that allows short-term rentals cannot disallow them. So there won't be any _____ is regulating short-term rentals, like I hear Denver is planning.
As someone who formally worked with government agencies, I can tell you the best places are Arizona, Maryland and Colorado mountains for Short term rentals.
Huntsville AL · Member since 2021 · 44 posts · 30 votes
4y
Air BnB is making sure to highlight stays and properties that are out of the norm. I think Florida is already highly competitive and creating a unique experience or highlightable listing along the coast will be hard, given so many big players are already there.
I would look at other vacation experiences and locations that aren't so obvious. For example, maybe Ginnie Springs, FL.? . It's a beautiful spring that can give marketable photos, you can create experiences with kayaks and bikes. There is a small airport in Gainesville and you can even advertise to those visiting the university of Florida. I didn't do the numbers so this could be bad advice, but its just an example of a not so obvious markets I'd be looking into.
Real Estate Broker · Green Bay WI · Member since 2021 · 65 posts · 28 votes
4y
First and foremost. Do your homework on a good management company in the local area where you decide to buy. Make sure they handle STR's. Interview their clients. Most management companies do not have a good system in place.
Real Estate Agent · Holly Springs, NC · Member since 2020 · 170 posts · 161 votes
4y
If you are looking for a beachy location, here in North Carolina they have wonderful beaches (Outer Banks, Carolina Beach, Oak Island, etc.) and are well established. With that said, I have a property in North Myrtle Beach that is performing well at the moment and my family has been going to Myrtle Beach over 15 years while living in the North East so naturally that was the market we decided we would start our investing journey. Its a fun family beach that we enjoy and know many others do as well hence the investment opportunity. I suggest start with the markets you know well, that you like to vacation and if they don't pencil out then maybe start your search for other markets to invest in that meet your needs. All depends on your comfort level and what personal goals you have for your investing journey. Best!!
My first bigger pockets post! We are considering purchasing a vacation home in the next year that will also serve as a short-term rental when we aren't using it. We live on the east coast and would love something accessible by a short-flight and would be reasonably easy to manage from a distance. We are looking for a beach community. I am hoping to get a recommendation on a market or a turn-key short-term rental property business that I could look into. Thanks.
Hi there. I would recommend Panama City Beach, Destin can get a bit pricey, but the Emerald Coast in general are great options. I have one in PCB and doing great with the right remote management know-how in place. If you need well-connected agents who are also successful investors, look at @Melissa Haworth and/or @Matt "Roar" Gardner
Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 452 votes
4y
@Carlos Garcia - Thanks for the shoutout, my friend! I hope your investments are continuing to rock and roll!
@Gbenga Okusanya - You'll definitely see a common trend of regions popup in these forums (Smokies in TN, Florida Panhandle (Destin/Panama City Beach), Orlando, etc.) -- These areas consistent producers, but you could really succeed anywhere. As an agent and investor, I'm biased to the Destin area personally; however, I have plenty of investments in other locations. I'm sure you'll crush it wherever you land; just make sure you get the support to set you up for success!