Sell or not to sell VR with 650k Equity

Sell or not to sell VR with 650k Equity

Investor · Fort Lauderdale · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 15 votes

Hello BP friends!


On March 2020 I bought a new construction single family home with a accessory unit for 725k I have been house hacking living on the in-law unit. The main house is a 5bed/3.5 bath with a pool and the other unit is a 2/1. Last year the main house grossed an average of $13,500/month and after all expenses I made about 8k month and have been living for free (that also includes my expenses). Based on comps it looks like I could get about $1.3M for the property now. I'm on a strong financial position and I have a 3 figure salary working for a tech company. I did refinance last year, currently I own 645K and have already recouped my initial investment. 

This property has provided great cash-flow and financial freedom if I decide to leave my job. Based on the strong appreciation Im wondering if I should sell and use leverage to acquire more properties. 

What are your thoughts?

2Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Dave StokleyBusiness Member
Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 699 posts · 799 votes
4y

All I know is that I’d be leaving that 3-figure job in a hurry.

But it sounds like there’s still a lot of equity you could pull out. I’d only sell if I were confident I could get that money into a better investment without paying the cap gains. Otherwise, why fix what ain’t broke?

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    This is not the same market as 2020. You are now buying at the top with higher interest rates. You have a pretty sweet deal going right now, why rush into something else? See what happens after the mid-terms and maybe wait until Nov '24.

    Just my .02

  • Dave StokleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 699 posts · 799 votes
    4y

    All I know is that I’d be leaving that 3-figure job in a hurry.

    But it sounds like there’s still a lot of equity you could pull out. I’d only sell if I were confident I could get that money into a better investment without paying the cap gains. Otherwise, why fix what ain’t broke?

  • Investor · Dublin, CA · Member since 2019 · 167 posts · 134 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Dave Stokley:

    All I know is that I’d be leaving that 3-figure job in a hurry.

    But it sounds like there’s still a lot of equity you could pull out. I’d only sell if I were confident I could get that money into a better investment without paying the cap gains. Otherwise, why fix what ain’t broke?


     LOL.  I'm assuming 6 figure?  Otherwise Tech is not paying as much as they use to :)

    Why not keep your job unless you truly aren't happy with it and invest the 8k/mo into another property?  Seems like with the extra cashflow and the market potentially shifting could provide good buying opportunities.

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    I've been trying to purchase another property but the market has been really competitive. I've put several offers this past couple of months and most of them were bought cash well above offer. Everything I see is on the $1M plus range and I only qualify for a $647K loan. Was thinking of selling and buying long term SFH rentals or a fourplex.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    Hey @Ariel G., if you can't replace it easily then you should hold on to it. It sounds like it is doing very well. I am with @Bruce Woodruff on this. Keep the cashola flowing. 

  • Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ariel G.:

    Hello BP friends!


    On March 2020 I bought a new construction single family home with a accessory unit for 725k I have been house hacking living on the in-law unit. The main house is a 5bed/3.5 bath with a pool and the other unit is a 2/1. Last year the main house grossed an average of $13,500/month and after all expenses I made about 8k month and have been living for free (that also includes my expenses). Based on comps it looks like I could get about $1.3M for the property now. I'm on a strong financial position and I have a 3 figure salary working for a tech company. I did refinance last year, currently I own 645K and have already recouped my initial investment. 

    This property has provided great cash-flow and financial freedom if I decide to leave my job. Based on the strong appreciation Im wondering if I should sell and use leverage to acquire more properties. 

    What are your thoughts?

    Cash out refinance and reinvest that tax free money. Keep your job, have less cash flow but if you sell you will have to pay your own expenses again and taxes on the sale.

  • Investor · Dublin, CA · Member since 2019 · 167 posts · 134 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ariel G.:

    I've been trying to purchase another property but the market has been really competitive. I've put several offers this past couple of months and most of them were bought cash well above offer. Everything I see is on the $1M plus range and I only qualify for a $647K loan. Was thinking of selling and buying long term SFH rentals or a fourplex.


     Try looking at other markets as well.  I know you're doing well in your own market but many here have done well with out of state (or other parts of FL) investing which you could try as well.

  • Lender · Asheville NC · Member since 2016 · 469 posts · 317 votes
    4y

    Can you take out a HELOC? It's technically your primary right? Cashout refi may slash cashflow if the rates are twice as high right now, as when you bought.

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    @Gerald Pitts I already refinanced last year and took the max I could pull out. I’ll check again if I can do a heloc but I think I couldn’t based on what the lender told me.

  • Real Estate Agent · Seattle, WA · Member since 2019 · 301 posts · 188 votes
    4y

    Hey Ariel, depends a lot on your goals and what you have lined up next. What is your overarching goal with FI and which decision would align best with that goal? Do you have a better deal lined up when you sell? What would you do with the equity? I think answering these questions is important. 

    If it was me, I’d only sell if there was a better deal to put the proceeds in that aligned better with my interests and goals. If not, the cash flow you mentioned sounds pretty sweet and I’d be hard pressed to sell. Good luck!

  • Realtor · Spokane, WA · Member since 2020 · 138 posts · 87 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ariel G.:

    Hello BP friends!


    On March 2020 I bought a new construction single family home with a accessory unit for 725k I have been house hacking living on the in-law unit. The main house is a 5bed/3.5 bath with a pool and the other unit is a 2/1. Last year the main house grossed an average of $13,500/month and after all expenses I made about 8k month and have been living for free (that also includes my expenses). Based on comps it looks like I could get about $1.3M for the property now. I'm on a strong financial position and I have a 3 figure salary working for a tech company. I did refinance last year, currently I own 645K and have already recouped my initial investment. 

    This property has provided great cash-flow and financial freedom if I decide to leave my job. Based on the strong appreciation Im wondering if I should sell and use leverage to acquire more properties. 

    What are your thoughts?


    If I was on your position, I would hold on to the property and wait. Then down the road, do the BRRRR method and buy another property without selling your currently home.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y

    Well done, almost $600k in value increase and $100k in annual cash flow, after covering your own housing costs and possibly your other living expenses...not sure (and, if that includes covering the mortgage payment too...wow).  We should be taking advice from you.

  • Scott WolfPro Member
    Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
    4y

    @Ariel G., if you're single, $250k of that equity will be tax free, $500k if you're married.  I'd talk to a CPA about that portion of it.  Other than that, congrats on the huge gains!

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    @Mike Dymski haha thank you, that is reassuring. I feel like I’m should be doing better and have acquired more properties by now.

  • Lender · Asheville NC · Member since 2016 · 469 posts · 317 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ariel G.:

    @Mike Dymski haha thank you, that is reassuring. I feel like I’m should be doing better and have acquired more properties by now.


     Stop and smell the roses, Ariel. You're killing it! 

  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    You've got a golden goose crapping out cash every month. Keep that thing!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.