How's business, and what do you plan to do?

How's business, and what do you plan to do?

Karen MargraveBusiness Member
Moderator
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes

I'm curious about housing inventory, and where it will come from. Short Term Rental investors, with gas prices being so high, are you seeing a slow down in renting properties? Are you holding your STR properties, turning into LTR or selling them?

2Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
4y

My STR'S are booked at top dollar with no slowdown.

I'm not selling anything. 

I'm buying more LTR'S.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y

    My STR'S are booked at top dollar with no slowdown.

    I'm not selling anything. 

    I'm buying more LTR'S.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    Hey @Karen Margrave, like @John Underwood, I am booked out for the season. Just waiting on the bumper season to fill up along with Thanksgiving and Christmas. Zero cancellations and almost all our bookings were booked a year ago. We are booking out for 2023 right now.

    Not going to sell even though I get a call, email or text once or twice a week on it.

    Might get another if I can find a good deal in the right place.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Mine are booked up at top dollar as well.  In fact I just turned a new property online this past Saturday night, and since then just about have the summer fully booked.

  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    4y

    Ditto. Fully booked with no intention of selling.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ken Boone:

    Mine are booked up at top dollar as well.  In fact I just turned a new property online this past Saturday night, and since then just about have the summer fully booked.

    In PF?
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Ken Boone:

    Mine are booked up at top dollar as well.  In fact I just turned a new property online this past Saturday night, and since then just about have the summer fully booked.

    In PF?
    Yep
  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 844 posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Karen Margrave:

    I'm curious about housing inventory, and where it will come from. Short Term Rental investors, with gas prices being so high, are you seeing a slow down in renting properties? Are you holding your STR properties, turning into LTR or selling them?


    Not the same thing, but my hotel syndication has resumed making distributions. This tells me that business is back to normal and folks are traveling and going on business trips. Gas prices are high, but like most things, the media likes to blow things way out of proportion.

  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    4y

    I had my first mention of gas prices from a guest today. She thought about cancelling her trip when she discovered how much the plane tickets were going to cost. I suspect I might see more cancellations in the days ahead.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    My short-term rental has seen a significant slow-down this year. We've been booked solid for two years running. As of yesterday, I'm still open for 2/3 of August and only have one short reservation in September. The flooding in our area has closed Yellowstone and large portions of it may not open up this year. Add to that the cost of gas and our remote location, and odds are pretty good that our numbers will stay low.

    STR is a great business, but the numbers have been higher than usual the past two years. I believe most markets will start to see things slow down and return to normal. It may even get ugly if inflation continues to rise.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Karen Margrave

    My STRs are booked solid, refied right before rate hikes soared. Looking to buy more properties once the dust settles a little bit more.

  • New to Real Estate · New Braunfels/Canyon Lake TX · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 21 votes
    4y

    Mine have been max'd all summer. August has two weekends open, but Sept is totally booked. 

    Im also looking for another in the right spot!

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    Well that's good news for most of you. I'd love to keep up on this and see how it goes in the months ahead. I am a Realtor in Redding, CA and there are a lot of STR here, housing medical professionals, tourists, and students from a local ministry school. So far I haven't heard of any cancellations, but our market has such a high demand for housing, I was curious if there might be some inventory coming on the market from people selling or switching STR to LTR.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.