Has anyone worked with or invested in Techvestor before?

Has anyone worked with or invested in Techvestor before?

Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 4 votes

Has anyone worked with or invested in Techvestor before? They provide passive income if you invest at least $25K with them and they use it to buy, hold, and sell airBnb-able properties. They're from the same guys that built Scoutpads and Superhostlabs but neither those websites are live anymore. I would like to hear from your experience if any of you is an active investor on their STR fund

3Reply
221 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Fremont, CA · Member since 2015 · 210 posts · 124 votes
4y
Quote from @Kareem Barreto:

Has anyone worked with or invested in Techvestor before? They provide passive income if you invest at least $25K with them and they use it to buy, hold, and sell airBnb-able properties. They're from the same guys that built Scoutpads and Superhostlabs but neither those websites are live anymore. I would like to hear from your experience if any of you is an active investor on their STR fund

 Your question answers itself. If someone has failed 2 times, it's likely that they will fail at it a 3rd time.

See this reply in the discussion

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Fremont, CA · Member since 2015 · 210 posts · 124 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Kareem Barreto:

    Has anyone worked with or invested in Techvestor before? They provide passive income if you invest at least $25K with them and they use it to buy, hold, and sell airBnb-able properties. They're from the same guys that built Scoutpads and Superhostlabs but neither those websites are live anymore. I would like to hear from your experience if any of you is an active investor on their STR fund

     Your question answers itself. If someone has failed 2 times, it's likely that they will fail at it a 3rd time.

  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    Well, yes and not after a due diligence I did. Investors from Scoutpads transitioned their investments to Techvestor. The investment model changed from what I understand, instead of investing in single STR, they created a fund. In the other hand Superhostlabs still running under the new company techvestor (this is the designing and property beautification arm of the company).

    I know those facts, so I was hoping to find some of those investors to validate this information. 

  • Investor · Fremont, CA · Member since 2015 · 210 posts · 124 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Kareem Barreto:

    Well, yes and not after a due diligence I did. Investors from Scoutpads transitioned their investments to Techvestor. The investment model changed from what I understand, instead of investing in single STR, they created a fund. In the other hand Superhostlabs still running under the new company techvestor (this is the designing and property beautification arm of the company).

    I know those facts, so I was hoping to find some of those investors to validate this information. 

    Reorgs make it difficult to track failure. If you have spare money that you can loose. Invest in them. But expectation of profit should be low. It's high risk potentially not so high reward situation.

  • Member since 2021 · 46 posts · 29 votes
    4y

    I was looking on their site and noticed they spelled “profitabel”.  The small details matter in my opinion. 

  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y

    I worked directly with them and for them and I can tell you they have no idea what they are doing.  

  • Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2017 · 50 posts · 21 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew Kap:

    I worked directly with them and for them and I can tell you they have no idea what they are doing.  


     Can you elaborate on this?

  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    We invested with them and they have been irresponsible, incompetent, and unprofessional.  We've been investing in RE for over 10 years, about 4 mm across investments.  We made a big mistake trusting them to honor their word and their contracts.

  • Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    Yes, I have worked with Techvestor for the 2nd time now.  I actually did a Fund with them for the end of 2022 which has had amazing results.  So great, I decided to work with them again on a 2nd fund for 2023. I have invested my own money as well as brought in a bunch of my passive investors.  If you have any questions...Feel free to reach out. 

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y

    I would like to hear more. I am very interested. 

  • Investor · Coeur d'Alene, ID · Member since 2023 · 20 posts · 15 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Juan Martinez III:

    I would like to hear more. I am very interested. 

    Seems like the bad feedback here outweighs the good. I’d rather take the cash and invest in my own deal or bring on a partner. I do respect their data guy, John Bianchi, though.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Juan Martinez III:

    I would like to hear more. I am very interested. 


    Most of these syndication, are typically promoting "the STR market" rather than their actual track record.
    The moment I clicked "View more details" of their holding , I can see their future booking.

    My respond was ............ nahhhh, my STR is performing way better for them.
    You could forecast their revenue by checking future booking. It's usually very market driven though.

    In the market where supply outpaces the demand, be extremely careful to large player as the risk is super high. The STR business is one of the riskiest nich in real estate investing.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    The founder of this company just exited Apple at 2021. So it's during covid. She has multiple properties, is it 70 to 100 properties ? If she bought it all in 2021-2022, she purchased during the market peak. Although her data and approach seems solid in paper, but if she accumulated all these properties in 2021 with these lousy future booking, I'm afraid if she's going to fall ... hard. 

    I know other STR syndication in AZ but they already operated since 2011, and they have very nice open book track record when they purchase and whey sell the property. Most of STR syndication, is ACTUALLY making their money more when they sell their home, rather than when they acquire cashflow from airbnb rental. Just so you know.

  • Lender · Manhattan Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 423 posts · 268 votes
    3y

    From what I understand, it's a fund that specializes in STRs. If that is the case, then it's probably a cashflow-type and the DSCR is high.

    However, I think they buy residential 1-4 unit properties. If you're considering them, I would confirm how they do the valuation when they exit the fund. 

    If it's being valued using comps (since they are 1-4 units) and not using NOI and cap rate like commercial properties, the return might not be there at the exit.

  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    This is a very different model than the owning your own asset and managing yourself to optimize cash flow like in Short Term Rental Long Term Wealth, but it is a legit syndication.

    I have not personally invested with them but I know their head of data very well and I have seen that their underwriting is RIGOROUS. So I do believe they are buying right, although I can't speak to how they value at exit.

    Of course, do your due diligence on any syndicator that you plan to work with, but from what I have seen, Techvestor is the one of the very few (maybe the only) one I have seen actually execute a single family STR syndication. But again, I haven't invested with them so I can't speak to the actual returns that people have seen. Just my 2 cents.

  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sameena K.:

    We invested with them and they have been irresponsible, incompetent, and unprofessional.  We've been investing in RE for over 10 years, about 4 mm across investments.  We made a big mistake trusting them to honor their word and their contracts.

    So he should invest with them, right? 
  • Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    As stated above, they certainly underwrite rigorously. I don't know what the client experience actually entails, but I do believe from an actual due diligence and performance perspective, they're running a solid ship. 

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Don’t do it

  • Investor · Global · Member since 2024 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    I have put in $25,000 in Q2 2023 in their STR 2 Fund. Please feel free to ask any questions.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2023 · 139 posts · 81 votes
    2y

    You could give me money & I can give you the same returns too :D :D

    but in all seriousness, you can get the same returns in other ways passively too if you're just looking for passive income.  If you want to own real estate assets, then you have to buy and hold the assets.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    I don't have any experience with Techvestor but I would caution with any turnkey company that you shouldn't expect any built-in equity. Indeed, it's not uncommon for such companies to sell slightly over market (whether selling individual properties or syndications or crowdfunded deals). I would also make sure to vet the management team very carefully as that's not an uncommon problem with such companies. 

  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    7mo

    Invested with them over 2 1/2 year ago with dismal returns!! The 7-10% is a joke! I am getting only about 1-2% return. Your money is best put somewhere else. They will not let me exit and I regret investing with them! Hope I save someone else some heart ache as I may never get my $$ back!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.