What do you do with leftover food from your STR?

What do you do with leftover food from your STR?

Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

I keep the good fresh stuff.  Other things like mustard, ketchup or salad dressing I leave for the next tenants.  But if it's something like cold cuts, cheese, bread, eggs, potato chips or pastries I set them out in my yard and put a game camera on it.  A game camera is a motion sensoring camera with night vision to take pictures of animals in the wild.

So far I've gotten rabbits, an opossum, a fox, crows and a trash panda to come to the food pile.

6Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 68 votes
4y

I let my housekeepers and housemen take it home with them. My hourly wage earners need that the most. I’ve heard them tell me many times how much it helps them and their families.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 68 votes
    4y

    I let my housekeepers and housemen take it home with them. My hourly wage earners need that the most. I’ve heard them tell me many times how much it helps them and their families.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    He’s Back!!!!!!

    Welcome mayor. We missed you. 

  • Home Stager · Poconos, PA · Member since 2022 · 45 posts · 30 votes
    4y

    LOL this is great. 

    Generally we keep all of the nonperishable items like you had mentioned (Mustard, Ketchup, Dressings) and throw away ALL of the rest. We have received a handful of complaints before from guests that say the unit is 'dirty' because some food was left behind from the previous renter. Always better to just get rid of it or give it to the less fortunate if you are in an area where that is possible. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2020 · 210 posts · 302 votes
    4y

    Surprised only a single trash panda was attracted by the bait food. The refineries may be killing off your local wildlife...

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    We do much like you and keep condiments and such for the next guests. We take any of the 'good stuff' since we do our own cleaning. I love it when they leave good booze. One of our places had the bachelor party from a wedding and they left 2 cases of beer behind! (And no they didn't even party that much). 

    Another guest left a mostly full bottle of Makers Mark (Bourbon) :-)

  • Laveen, AZ · Member since 2016 · 584 posts · 528 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Paul Sandhu:

    I keep the good fresh stuff.  Other things like mustard, ketchup or salad dressing I leave for the next tenants.  But if it's something like cold cuts, cheese, bread, eggs, potato chips or pastries I set them out in my yard and put a game camera on it.  A game camera is a motion sensoring camera with night vision to take pictures of animals in the wild.

    So far I've gotten rabbits, an opossum, a fox, crows and a trash panda to come to the food pile.

    Just curious, it's a common thing to leave opened food items for new guests?  I know this was common practice in places like restaurants but even they don't leave the condiments out anymore. I suspect covid has a lot to do with it. 

    Secon, I'm no wildlife expert so pardon me if this sounds ignorant I'm just curious:

    Not that they didn't come around anyway but why teach the wildlife your property is a place to find easy food? 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Paul Sandhu:

    I keep the good fresh stuff.  Other things like mustard, ketchup or salad dressing I leave for the next tenants.  But if it's something like cold cuts, cheese, bread, eggs, potato chips or pastries I set them out in my yard and put a game camera on it.  A game camera is a motion sensoring camera with night vision to take pictures of animals in the wild.

    So far I've gotten rabbits, an opossum, a fox, crows and a trash panda to come to the food pile.


    If it's sealed, we may take it. If it's a condiment, we typically leave them for another guest to use (be careful with mayonnaise or things that can spoil when left out). Even dry spaghetti noodles get thrown out if they've been opened.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    We leave spices and cooking oils as well....

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Rodney Sums:
    Quote from @Paul Sandhu:

    Not that they didn't come around anyway but why teach the wildlife your property is a place to find easy food? 


     It's part of a big circle.  

    I feed these animals.  I let some local people that work at a refinery hunt the critters.  The local people help me rent out my STRs to contractors working at the refinery.  The contractors leave food behind, which I feed the animals.

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Paul Sandhu:

    I keep the good fresh stuff.  Other things like mustard, ketchup or salad dressing I leave for the next tenants.  But if it's something like cold cuts, cheese, bread, eggs, potato chips or pastries I set them out in my yard and put a game camera on it.  A game camera is a motion sensoring camera with night vision to take pictures of animals in the wild.

    So far I've gotten rabbits, an opossum, a fox, crows and a trash panda to come to the food pile.


     That sounds fun to watch. I would probably donate it to a local pantry or here in Columbus there is a rather large homeless population. So I would probably offer it to someone like that. My wife and I always try to do that with any of our left overs that we will not eat the next day or if we make too much. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.