Ok all you STR pros, get out your red pens, I need some feedback!
A couple months ago I purchased my first STR. The house is in Canyon Lake, which is a beautiful lake known as the Jewel of Hill Country. The market we are going after are groups, families, and girls trips looking for a luxury experience at a large private property with a pool, hot tub, game room, etc... that is close to the lake. Link below:
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
4y
Great house and love the pool.
This appears to be an interior lot so by my definition this is not a Lake house. This is a lake view house at best and seems like false advertising to me.
When I am looking for say a beach house and select waterfront it irks me when a bunch of non water front houses show up in the search results.
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
4y
Great house and love the pool.
This appears to be an interior lot so by my definition this is not a Lake house. This is a lake view house at best and seems like false advertising to me.
When I am looking for say a beach house and select waterfront it irks me when a bunch of non water front houses show up in the search results.
This appears to be an interior lot so by my definition this is not a Lake house. This is a lake view house at best and seems like false advertising to me.
When I am looking for say a beach house and select waterfront it irks me when a bunch of non water front houses show up in the search results.
Thanks for the feedback! If anyone is searching for waterfront or lake views, our home will not appear in the search. Also, we are a 5 minute drive from the lake.
A fire pit would really tie together the outdoor space, especially in the nighttime shots. Could use some decorations that add character and some pops of color as well.
Otherwise looks like a great place to stay that is clean, modern and has the right amenities.
Completely agree on fire pit. It’s on the list to add. We are currently unable to with a drought and a burn ban. Other STRs in the area have gotten hit on reviews for having pits in the pictures, but being unable to use them. Regarding the decor, yes, I’ve been slowly adding pieces here and there. Still needs a lot though!
Lender · Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2008 · 154 posts · 30 votes
4y
I agree with John Underwood. That's not a "lake house;" that's a house with a lake nearby that one must get in a car to get to! How about "luxury lake-close" or "luxury lake-adjacent?"
Great feedback. Canyon Lake is a boaters’ lake - very minimal swimming access and not a single dock. Most boaters must park their boats away from lake. Our rental allows for parking up to three boats and 10 vehicles. We’ve even had boaters load their party in the back of the boat, and drive out of our driveway, with everyone in the boat, and drive directly to the ramp. I would call that a Lake House.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y
I got nothin but good things to say, is that price high enough...?
I guess I might want to see more Texas/country/cowboy swag on the walls, but that might be just me. Looks a little barren and hotel-like in some pictures.
Great feedback. Canyon Lake is a boaters’ lake - very minimal swimming access and not a single dock. Most boaters must park their boats away from lake. Our rental allows for parking up to three boats and 10 vehicles. We’ve even had boaters load their party in the back of the boat, and drive out of our driveway, with everyone in the boat, and drive directly to the ramp. I would call that a Lake House.
Sorry man I have to disagree with you there. A Lake House is a house on the lake in most people's minds. I hear what you are saying, however, when I am looking for a lake house I am looking for a house that is on the lake. Maybe people in that area understand what you are conveying, but folks from other areas will not think that way.
I am in agreement with @John Underwood if it says Lake House it should be on the lake. I would put in your description something like minutes from the boat ramp, ideal house to stay at when visiting the lake. But it is not a lake house in my mind. If it were me and I was looking for a Lake House, my first question would be why is there not a picture showing the lake behind the house. In your case, it's because it's not there.
The place is great, we are just giving you a warning, because you WILL run into guests having an issue if you list this as a "Lake House".
Great feedback. Canyon Lake is a boaters’ lake - very minimal swimming access and not a single dock. Most boaters must park their boats away from lake. Our rental allows for parking up to three boats and 10 vehicles. We’ve even had boaters load their party in the back of the boat, and drive out of our driveway, with everyone in the boat, and drive directly to the ramp. I would call that a Lake House.
I have a lake house. It borders the lake and has a dock. The guy across the street from me does not have a lake house. If he advertised he had a lake house this would be false advertising.
Hmmm. Looking at other properties, I don’t see anyone using “Lake ______ “ who isn’t waterfront. We’ve not had anyone have an issue so far, but to your point, we could. Any suggestions on what to use then?
This lake is a bit different in that even if you are lake front, that doesn’t necessarily mean you have easy water access and there are no docks allowed.
The pictures are decent, but they don't appear professionally done. I would spend $500 - $1,000 for a really good photographer to make it pop.
$1,000 a night for a neon "Treat Yo Self" sign on the counter?
The American Flag is hanging in the path of foot traffic.
The bunk room has a large chair blocking the closet door.
You have five 5-star reviews, so I would say you are well on our way. Nice place!
Thanks for the feedback Nathan. Yes, we've tried two times without success to use a professional photographer. Both times the photos have been worse. Hopefully third time will be a charm. Also, that bunk room closet isn't a closet, that's where the heater is. I don't have any great ideas on how to make that come across in a photo. Maybe a locking door handle?
I got nothin but good things to say, is that price high enough...?
I guess I might want to see more Texas/country/cowboy swag on the walls, but that might be just me. Looks a little barren and hotel-like in some pictures.
But overall, excellent.....!
Thanks Bruce! Totally agree on the Texas/country/cowboy swag.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y
I agree with the guys saying that you should massage that name a little...maybe House Near Lake? Or Lake Adjacent House? Less than 5 min to Lake?
One of my places is near (.9 mi), to a very popular downtown area, and my title says 'Less than a mile to downtown'.....Even with that, I've had a few (very few) guests say that it was not very close to downtown.
I agree with the guys saying that you should massage that name a little...maybe House Near Lake? Or Lake Adjacent House? Less than 5 min to Lake?
One of my places is near (.9 mi), to a very popular downtown area, and my title says 'Less than a mile to downtown'.....Even with that, I've had a few (very few) guests say that it was not very close to downtown.
So I'd be careful with the description.
Yeah, I’m in agreement now as well. I updated to “Lake Escape”.
I agree with the guys saying that you should massage that name a little...maybe House Near Lake? Or Lake Adjacent House? Less than 5 min to Lake?
One of my places is near (.9 mi), to a very popular downtown area, and my title says 'Less than a mile to downtown'.....Even with that, I've had a few (very few) guests say that it was not very close to downtown.
So I'd be careful with the description.
Yeah, I’m in agreement now as well. I updated to “Lake Escape”.
Lake Escape continues to promote that this is a house on the lake. You are escaping to the lake. If the name of the city is Lake Whatever, then advertise it like that, but otherwise I would not be using the word Lake in the description or name of the house. A lake house is a house located ON the lake. Not near the lake, not across the street, but actually backs up to the lake as in, your front/backyard ends at the water. Unless your front/backyard ends at the water, it is not a lake house.
I agree with the guys saying that you should massage that name a little...maybe House Near Lake? Or Lake Adjacent House? Less than 5 min to Lake?
One of my places is near (.9 mi), to a very popular downtown area, and my title says 'Less than a mile to downtown'.....Even with that, I've had a few (very few) guests say that it was not very close to downtown.
So I'd be careful with the description.
Yeah, I’m in agreement now as well. I updated to “Lake Escape”.
Lake Escape continues to promote that this is a house on the lake. You are escaping to the lake. If the name of the city is Lake Whatever, then advertise it like that, but otherwise I would not be using the word Lake in the description or name of the house. A lake house is a house located ON the lake. Not near the lake, not across the street, but actually backs up to the lake as in, your front/backyard ends at the water. Unless your front/backyard ends at the water, it is not a lake house.
I agree with the guys saying that you should massage that name a little...maybe House Near Lake? Or Lake Adjacent House? Less than 5 min to Lake?
One of my places is near (.9 mi), to a very popular downtown area, and my title says 'Less than a mile to downtown'.....Even with that, I've had a few (very few) guests say that it was not very close to downtown.
So I'd be careful with the description.
Yeah, I’m in agreement now as well. I updated to “Lake Escape”.
Lake Escape continues to promote that this is a house on the lake. You are escaping to the lake. If the name of the city is Lake Whatever, then advertise it like that, but otherwise I would not be using the word Lake in the description or name of the house. A lake house is a house located ON the lake. Not near the lake, not across the street, but actually backs up to the lake as in, your front/backyard ends at the water. Unless your front/backyard ends at the water, it is not a lake house.
Sorry - major typo on my part. Based on suggestions above I changed the VRBO listing headline to -
Luxury Escape | Private Pool&Spa | Boat Parking | 5 min to Ramp | Fun Activities