Travel Nurse Housing

Travel Nurse Housing

Real Estate Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 72 posts · 9 votes

Does anyone use a specific place for short term travel nurses or where would the best place to be to list your property on a site like that?

Looking to have travel nurses 3 month stints or so

1Reply
211 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2022 · 13 posts · 22 votes
4y

There is a fb page called Furnished Finders, medical professionals use it as it was started by a travel nurse.  Although many travelers are posting negative remarks complaining about both Furnished Finders and Airbnb LL's.  

Comments state that some LL's are locking out the thermostats, the condition of the properties are bad, and feeling "scammed".  I have never had this experience just what I am reading. 

A great way to market to travelers is to reach out to Nurse Recruiters/Agencies.  They can then refer a traveler who will be in your area.  It is a win-win for both parties.  Many nurses will also refer each other to properties.  

Lastly, you can just post your property on your personal fb page.  I am sure there is someone who knows someone who travels.  I am happy to post on my page if you would like.  I am a member of several large travel nursing groups.

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    4y
    Quote from @Colleen F.:

    @Brooke Reynolds www.travelnursehousing.com site is the same as furnished finder. If you list on FF your listing goes up on travelnursehouing.com too. I just started doing this and had quite a few contacts on a room. People do prefer not to share bathrooms although we filled ours with a shared Bath. It is kind of a one off for us because we can't do STR and we don't want to do LTR as a family member will return to the space.

    Oh, I see! Thanks for the clarification! About how much should we price mid-terms? Higher than LTR but lower than STR but is there a standard, like 30% over rental rates for LTR? 
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    @Brooke Reynolds  Look at monthly rates on airbnb for your area and also room rentals and make sure to cover your utility cost.  We wound up pricing like a local room rental but maybe should have priced slightly higher.  It is outside Boston but not the best commute to local hospitals.   There isn't a rule of thumb that I know of.    Look at what is available on FF, if you are closer to the hospital you can likely charge a bit more.  Also check out the facebook groups for some information, nomadic nursing, the gypsy nurse, travel nurse housing. You can post your listing on some of those.  I will say furnished finder will verify you are who you say you are and own the property but they don't do the same for prospective tenants so verify your tenants.

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    4y
    Quote from @Colleen F.:

    @Brooke Reynolds  Look at monthly rates on airbnb for your area and also room rentals and make sure to cover your utility cost.  We wound up pricing like a local room rental but maybe should have priced slightly higher.  It is outside Boston but not the best commute to local hospitals.   There isn't a rule of thumb that I know of.    Look at what is available on FF, if you are closer to the hospital you can likely charge a bit more.  Also check out the facebook groups for some information, nomadic nursing, the gypsy nurse, travel nurse housing. You can post your listing on some of those.  I will say furnished finder will verify you are who you say you are and own the property but they don't do the same for prospective tenants so verify your tenants.

    Thanks for all the pricing insight and the additional places to connect with nurses! I heard some people say you should price close to the same as an STR (since arguably you could get STR rates for a furnished mid term rental). I like your idea to research my competitors’ pricing on FF!
  • Member since 2022 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Luke Carl:

    Furnished finder. 

    I don’t understand the traveling nurse thing. That’s like saying I’ll only rent this long term to students. Why limit yourself. 


    Kind of a bummer Furnished Finder charges $100 p month though...just to list a property, whereas Airbnb, Craigslist, everywhere else it's free...

  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    Short- and medium-term rentals each have their pros and cons, so my thinking is why not hedge your bets and try both in the same unit? I think it also really depends on your sub-market. For example, I live just outside of the main "core" of Portland, OR where there isn't as much demand for short-term housing. There's a stronger (but undersupplied) market for medium-term housing out here since there's good access to the airport and nearby hospitals. I have an 400SF ADU that I've been renting out on a long-term basis for $1,600. STRs in my area with similar SF/amenities rent for an average of $100/day, 75% occupancy for gross income of $2,250. After fees and cleaning gross is in the ballpark of $2K. The same unit would probably only fetch $1,600/mo on FF. In my case, it makes more sense to lean into STR and fill gaps where possible with MTR. I've heard other people do the opposite where MTR provides the base rental income and STR is used to fill gaps.

  • Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Hollee Mills:

    There is a fb page called Furnished Finders, medical professionals use it as it was started by a travel nurse.  Although many travelers are posting negative remarks complaining about both Furnished Finders and Airbnb LL's.  

    Comments state that some LL's are locking out the thermostats, the condition of the properties are bad, and feeling "scammed".  I have never had this experience just what I am reading. 

    A great way to market to travelers is to reach out to Nurse Recruiters/Agencies.  They can then refer a traveler who will be in your area.  It is a win-win for both parties.  Many nurses will also refer each other to properties.  

    Lastly, you can just post your property on your personal fb page.  I am sure there is someone who knows someone who travels.  I am happy to post on my page if you would like.  I am a member of several large travel nursing groups.


     Hi @Hollee did you google nurse recruiter/ agencies around you? Are there major reputable agencies that I should reach out to? any pro tips in that direction is greatly appreciated! thank you 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.