How do you handle late check out requests? Military discounts?

How do you handle late check out requests? Military discounts?

Rental Property Investor · Destin, FL · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 8 votes

Hello! Received this inquiry from a potential guest and was wondering how you would handle the first two? 

I could provide a discount but, with a late checkout, I would not be able book the next night since check in is at 4pm.

Thanks!

1. Would you offer a military discount

2. Would you honor late check out on August 29th? Our flight does not leave until that evening

2. How far is the unit from the airport/ what is your recommendation for transportation?

3. Is there plenty of shops and restaurants within walking distance?

0Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
4y

I will absolutely give a discount to a veteran that served our country.

Late checkout only  if the next day is a day unlikely to book

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    No 

    And 

    No. 

  • Investor · San Diego · Member since 2021 · 86 posts · 91 votes
    4y

    Military discount, up to you. But unless they’ve provided proof it very well could be someone making it up to save a few bucks. I’d say no just to save yourself the hassle.  

    Late checkout, no, especially if you’re going to have to block off a day because of it. The only time I approve a late checkout is if they ask the morning of and I have no one else booked that day. This also only works because on non-same flip days my housekeeper doesn’t come until later in the afternoon anyways. I’d double check it won’t mess up their schedule as well. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y

    I will absolutely give a discount to a veteran that served our country.

    Late checkout only  if the next day is a day unlikely to book

  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX (Lender in TX and SC) · Member since 2020 · 196 posts · 253 votes
    4y

    I'm a military member and would have no anticipation/expectation of a military discount when I book an STR.

    If you decide to implement a military discount, it will add another layer to your management process.  You will need a way to verify military service and then adjust rates accordingly.  You’ll need to determine if the discount also applies to a military spouse/family traveling without the military member, and does it extend to other first responders?

    You’ll want to think through those nuances before implementing a policy.

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    @Brent H.

    If the guests has already checked in and they ask to stay on the last day to check out later and there is no booking that day then I’m ok with it.  Just had this happen.  Wanted to check out at noon versus 10:00.  It didn’t impact the cleaners or another booking.  I would not allow it if it’s going to cause me to miss out on potential income.  If they want to stay another day and the calendar accommodates that then of course I would say yes, but they would need pay for an additional night.  Just like a hotel, they get charged.

  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    4y

    I pretty much stay booked every night so my guide for how to handle late checkout or early checkin requests is how hotels have responded to my requests. Hotels have allowed me both early checkin and late checkout when possible and have no problem offering bag drop-off / storage when the early checkin or late check-out is not possible. 

    Since we live upstairs from our rental, luggage drop-off or storage is an option.

  • Real Estate Agent · Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 984 votes
    4y

    We try not to bend over backwards for every single request.  However, we do offer a military discount on our direct booking site.  I find that when I give in to certain requests like this up front, they ask for more later.  With that being said, if you really want the booking then feel free to do what feels good for you.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2017 · 181 posts · 115 votes
    4y

    As others noted, only allow late checkout when the next night is open. Never hold it open to accommodate a late checkout. We also charge for a late checkout, as it inconveniences our cleaners and they charge  us. We double their fee and are fine with whatever choice the guest makes. 
    We’ve found that they respond better if they have an option and aren’t just told no. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Late check-out only if the next day is not booked - I generally would say no. It's just such a slippery slope...but conditionally I could say ok

    Military discount is up to you. I personally don't offer discounts for anything other than immediate family. It's just easier if I am black or white about something than make exceptions. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    I have a soft spot for military so that's a tough one, I;ve never been asked. It does open up the 'how do you verify' question I guess...

    I have been asked for a late checkout before and if the house was not already booked that night, I have no problem with it. I would never hold a night open though....!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    My husband is a veteran but I don’t go around asking for a military discount where it’s not advertised.  
    I wouldn’t give a discount during high season. Maybe during off season if they provide proof of their service and are courteous about the process. 

  • Rental Property Investor · North Fork, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 631 votes
    4y

    1. Thank you for your service. Not at this time, or yes, it’s up to you. 
    2. ask me on august 29 about checking out late but don’t plan on it.

    3. Use x to measure distance on your favorite navigation app. 

    4. See number 4

    How much maintenance do you want to tackle?

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 219 posts · 275 votes
    4y

    @Brent H. I see above that you already got plenty of answers on the easy part of your questions -- the yes or no part, lol. I'm guessing you're more interested in the how :-)

    1) I don't offer military discounts or first responder, or teacher, etc. When someone ask about it I thank them for their service or the work they do and tell them I appreciate it. Then I tell them that I strive to price my units fairly and competitive considering the quality of the accommodations I provide. Most people are fine with that and appreciate the response. Some people are just fishing for a "deal". You don't want those anyway. In those cases I politely thank them for the inquiry and suggest that there might be some other similar properties that might offer the discount they want :-).

    2) I don't offer late check out either. That said, if the guests text me that they are running 15 to 30 minutes behind, I'm generally not gonna freak out (unless the cleaners are already there and ready to go). If people what to stay until he late afternoon and they request a late check out at the time of booking, I tell them that they need to add the next night as well. Most decide not to and end up figuring out what to do during the day. If they ask for a late check out the night before (like afternoon check out), the answer is no. I explain to them that the cleaning crews have a schedule I don't control and they are not able to clean the unit if the guests check out late, which in turn would mean the next incoming guests cannot check out. I explain that with traffic in our area there is no easy way for cleaners to rearrange the pre-set schedule for the day and they have a tight timeline AND that good cleaners are extremely difficult to find and they work very hard. When faced with the realization that their request will make other people's work difficult, most people are understanding. Yes, occasionally some people are a$$holes. Such is life. 

    3) If they actually refuse to check out on time then my rental contract (which they are required to sign) says I can charge them a late fee. Airbnb allows that too. 

    4) I use Google maps to measure distance if someone asks. I prefer to give them several options for transportation like Uber, some shuttles that I tell them to look up. I try not to "recommend" per se, just in case they don't like their Uber driver and it's somehow my fault, lol. I do provide recommendations/suggestions for shops and restaurants but make sure to tell them these are ones I like. I also have an partnership with TripShock (if you are in Destin you should get that), with links to local activities they can book through my website link or QR to TripShock. They get discounts and I get some commission, and it saves me on having to answer questions about fishing charters or how to get to Crab Island.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Brent H.:

    My answer would be "no" for both.

    If you haven't offered a military discount before, why would you offer it now that someone asks? Think about this stuff in advance, make a decision, and then treat all guests equally.

    I served for 21 years and never ask for a military discount.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Destin, FL · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    Great comments- Thank you everyone!

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    No and Yes.

    My tenants don't know when they will get off work.  Then it's a 12 hour drive back home.  If they've already paid over $2000 in rent for several weeks, I'll let them stay an extra night for free.  Most of my renters are repeats.

  • Investor · San Diego · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 11 votes
    4y

    @Brent H.,

    No on both. Adds additional layers of complexity and management with no additional return on the time invested. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.