Investor · AZ · Member since 2022 · 10 posts · 7 votes
I'm looking at a STR in N. Phoenix/Cave Creek/Scottsdale (no HOA) and have one question: which do you think would get more income over the full year: 3 bedrooms with a pool or a 4 bedrooms with NO pool?
I ask because an acquaintance that I just met has 4 STRs in another part of town and says that he'll never buy one without a pool. I'm inclined to believe him because of his experience. But from my own Airbnb experiences and because I've been in Scottsdale for years and know that most don't even use their pools in the high-demand months of December-March.
No doubt, it would be easier to rent in the non high-demand months but seems like 50% of the income is going to come from those 4 months when the pool would likely not get used (unless it has a $5k heater + high gas expense)
Thanks in advance everyone! I'm new to the community and it's been great to see how helpful everyone's been.
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
4y
I think you have your answer @Chris Bird. Pool it is. Now, how hard would it be to add a pool to the 4 bedroom? Is there plenty of yard space to make it work? Have you checked and gotten some bids on installing one? Is the 4 bedroom in a better area?
Do other places right near the 4 bedroom have pools? You might be able to make it a negotiating tactic to get one installed.
It could be the best of both worlds. More heads in beds and a pool.
Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 710 posts · 640 votes
4y
i dont have one, so i cant say from the owner experience. but if you I was taking vacation to area, i would choose the property with a pool. that is what i would want for our vacation.
Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4y
I think it will depend on your market. Talk to the people that own STRs with pools.. They will be the ones that truly know.. everyone else is just guessing. In my market a 2 bedroom with an indoor heated pool can beat a 4 bedroom all day long. But indoor pools are heated year round in my market so not sure how that applies in your market. But I can tell you that the folks in my market who do not have pools but talk about them as far as how they will perform on facebook and in forums typically have no idea.
In my market I will never buy another STR without a pool as well.
Real Estate Consultant · Indianapolis IN + Poconos, PA · Member since 2022 · 51 posts · 39 votes
4y
My team manages a buddy of mine’s listing in Phoenix (South Mountain), it’s our only one out there, but it’s a 3-bed, without a pool, and has yet to be booked since finishing design/getting listed in August.
I will note, however, just looking at nearby listings that don’t have a pool either, they may still have *access to* one, and thus advertise as such on their listing.
Nonetheless, if I were in your shoes I would go with the pool.
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
4y
Depends on your market and depends on if you want a pool or not. They're really not a ton of trouble especially outdoor pool. If your enemies all have pools you'll need one too!
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
4y
The pool will make a difference in that market, so that's what I would recommend. Your acquaintance has already told you the same based on his local experience. The cost to maintain a pool is probably less than $150 a month. You should have no problem making that up in additional bookings and revenue.
I haven't owned an STR with a private pool, just one with a community pool (in southern utah). Before the community pool was finished, we had to lower our rates significantly to get bookings. Once the pool was complete, we were in the running. However, in my research of properties in the area, places who have a private pool (or at least a private hot tub), have significantly higher occupancy and can charge a much higher nightly rate (sometimes double). It's a huge advantage.
Realtor · PInellas County Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 902 posts · 810 votes
4y
In my area, a pool is pretty much de rigueur. A pool increases rate by about a third (33%). And occupancy would take a huge hit, too. It would be like having no king sized bed!
Realtor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2015 · 163 posts · 99 votes
4y
@Chris Bird
I have 3 STR's in North Phoenix and personally wouldn't buy one without a pool. If you're going to have a pool, it must be a heated pool since the peak season here is when the water temp is cold.
However, most houses you’re buying here won’t have a pool heater so that is an additional cost ($7-10K depending on electrical work needed). You will also have to hire weekly pool maintenance (sometimes 2x a week if you’re getting larger crowds). You will deal with complaints when the heater isn’t working properly and also with monsoon season people don’t understand the water will be murky at times. Your utilities will be much higher as well but I charge a daily/weekly rate if they want the pool heated.
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
4y
I think you have your answer @Chris Bird. Pool it is. Now, how hard would it be to add a pool to the 4 bedroom? Is there plenty of yard space to make it work? Have you checked and gotten some bids on installing one? Is the 4 bedroom in a better area?
Do other places right near the 4 bedroom have pools? You might be able to make it a negotiating tactic to get one installed.
It could be the best of both worlds. More heads in beds and a pool.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y
Because of your location, I'd say go with the pool. I visit the Valley often and usually go with a hotel just to get the pool. I would much rather stay in a STR with a pool. Just keep pricing in line with the competition, including hotels.
Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
4y
A pool is more important than a 4th bedroom (this is coming from somebody who owned 3 term rentals in South Scottsdale from 2017 - 2020). I added 4th bedrooms to all of my properties by converting the garages, but most of the time that 4th bedroom was never even used or disturbed by guests.
If you're don't have a 4th bedroom, you can still sleep some additional people with a blow up mattress or a pull out couch.
More important than the pool and 4th bedroom is location though. Sounds like you haven't bought yet. You need to be very particular about the location you choose. The poster above who linked to his friends listing - That is a nice enough house, but it is a horrible location. I'd rank it a 2/10 in terms of where a guest would want to stay if visiting the valley.
A pool is more important than a 4th bedroom (this is coming from somebody who owned 3 term rentals in South Scottsdale from 2017 - 2020). I added 4th bedrooms to all of my properties by converting the garages, but most of the time that 4th bedroom was never even used or disturbed by guests.
If you're don't have a 4th bedroom, you can still sleep some additional people with a blow up mattress or a pull out couch.
More important than the pool and 4th bedroom is location though. Sounds like you haven't bought yet. You need to be very particular about the location you choose. The poster above who linked to his friends listing - That is a nice enough house, but it is a horrible location. I'd rank it a 2/10 in terms of where a guest would want to stay if visiting the valley.
Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 137 posts · 106 votes
4y
A good STR comp tool will allow you to filter for comps with/without pools. You can see how well each is doing in terms of occupancy and total revenue. If you'd like, I can PM you a free resource to help with this.
I'm looking at a STR in N. Phoenix/Cave Creek/Scottsdale (no HOA) and have one question: which do you think would get more income over the full year: 3 bedrooms with a pool or a 4 bedrooms with NO pool?
I ask because an acquaintance that I just met has 4 STRs in another part of town and says that he'll never buy one without a pool. I'm inclined to believe him because of his experience. But from my own Airbnb experiences and because I've been in Scottsdale for years and know that most don't even use their pools in the high-demand months of December-March.
No doubt, it would be easier to rent in the non high-demand months but seems like 50% of the income is going to come from those 4 months when the pool would likely not get used (unless it has a $5k heater + high gas expense)
Thanks in advance everyone! I'm new to the community and it's been great to see how helpful everyone's been.
-Chris
Definitely a heated pool, hot tub or swim spa! The 4th bedroom is definitely nice though too.
Real Estate Agent · Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 630 posts · 303 votes
4y
@Chris Bird
I specialize in STRs in the Tampa Florida market. Primarily Pinellas county, which includes Clearwater, Indian Rocks Beach and St Pete Beaches. We are one of the hottest markets. If you take the two houses side by side here, pool makes 20% more. It also has a 83% occ rate over 77%. You take a 4 bed with a pool and you just went from 80k a year to 130k.