Country Retreat ground up build with multiple cabins

Country Retreat ground up build with multiple cabins

Tony KarnsPro Member
Investor · Dallas TX · Member since 2017 · 135 posts · 9 votes

During the height of the pandemic, I was able to purchase some land with 30 minutes of DFW.  Over the last year I have started to build plans that would allow me to place a few rental cabins and other country retreat amenities on this site. I recently just finished my first cabin build, but have still to tackle a lot of the other logistic that would need to be addressed such as Road, Electrical, Water to the cabins, amenities. At this point I am really interested to network with those that have or are doing something similar. I am interested in understanding the challenges that you may be facing and how you are navigating them. I am not currently looking for partners in this, but I am not against the idea under the right conditions.

1Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y

Put in your utilities before you grade the road. In case you have to trench utilities under the roadway....

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    Sounds like a fun project @Tony Karns. I am curious that there is no roads going in? How far is electrical? Will you be able to do a well with enough flow to accommodate multiple cabins?

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y

    I would fully develop your plans as to infrastructure, other cabins and amenities before doing too much building. Maybe get an engineering firm to help you.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    It's not that difficult to build a driveway/road.  I use my dumptruck to get gravel from a quarry.  Dump it in the driveway while moving forward.  Drive the dumptruck home and drive back with my tractor with a boxblade to smooth it.  Most people don't have a dumptruck and a tractor.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Put in your utilities before you grade the road. In case you have to trench utilities under the roadway....

  • Tony KarnsPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Dallas TX · Member since 2017 · 135 posts · 9 votes
    4y
    added some additional information to the original post as a response to the feedback I have received so far.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.