Painting Kitchen Cabinet

Most Popular Reply

Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
2y

Adding to a year old post .

I am refinishing and painting kitchen cabinets this week . ( yes it will take a whole week ) . Now this is my personal house , so I am going a bit more than redoing a rental . I removed every door and drawer front , and every drawer and shelf .  We sanded everything , even inside the cabinets .  Why the inside ?  Because the cabinets are older , but great quality , they have oak fronts .  I have 1 shot to do the job , there is no reason not to .

It was 1 entire day with 2 people removing doors , fronts and hardware, and then sanding . It was another entire day wiping down with thinner and priming just the doors and drawer fronts . ( 40 all together )  This used an entire gallon of Zimmer primer , 2 coats .   At $79 a gallon . 

Day 2 was sand with 220 sandpaper and then apply 2 coats of Sherwin Williams Gallery Cabinet paint Semi Gloss white . Thats 2 coats on the inside and 2 coats on the front . Lightly sanding in between coats . Started at 7 this morning and finished last coat at 3:30 .  Used  1 Gallon and a half  at $ 115  a gallon .  Its ready to recoat at a little bit more than 1 hour . This paint is SPRAY ONLY , I am using a Graco commercial airless  sprayer .  I am repainting and refinishig the floors , so the work is being done in the living room and kitchen .  ( You need room ) . So far the finish is as smooth as glass . 

Day 3 will be moving the painted parts and wiping down and painting the drawers , both inside and outside , 2 coats , and painting the hardware while waiting . 

Day 4 will be adding crown molding to the top of the cabinets and spraying 2 coats of primer to the entire cabinet , inside and out .  Overkill ? yes , but when you open any cabinet or drawer you wont see any of the old wood finish . 

Day 5 will be painting the cabinets . 

Just in paint and supplies , it will be around $750 . Then there is the new counter top , sink faucet , and tile back splash .  Reassembly will be in the evenings next week . Letting the paint time to cure . 

Even though I am a contractor , none of my painters wanted the work , I can now see why . I did get quotes from a few companies that do only cabinet painting and the cheapest was $7000. I now know why .  This is much harder than painting a car , ( I use to do do some custom paint jobs in the 80's) .   

I could have bought new cabinets , but new of similar build materials and quality was going to run about $12K . Just cabinets .   So far the finish has exceeded mine and my wifes expectations . The cost savings will go towards , countertop , tile ,lighting , and stainless appliances . 

Can you do this yourself ?  Sure . BUT this is a whole lot of work , and spraying paint takes a bit of practice to get the rythm down to avoid runs and sags . And the house is empty , its getting a head to toe make over . One and done . 

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Devin JamesPro Member
    Developer · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 502 posts · 306 votes
    3y

    Hey Evelyn J Good,

    Painting vs replacing depends on the condition of the cabinets. 

    Im in Orlando & recently had my contractor remodel multiple kitchens. DM me and I can share my contractor and he can give you a better answer. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    Go to Sherwin Williams and get some good paint, take off the hardware and paint them yourselves in an afternoon.

    If you can get someone to spray the doors and drawers outside it will look the best.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    Paint it yourself.  It's not rocket science.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    Definitely prime it first though....Zinzer 123

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Evelyn J Good

    Go to Home Depot and get the Rustoleum cabinet kit box. They gave over 100 colors to choose from. One box will do a huge kitchen and bathroom. And only costs $69. It’s super easy to do.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Cabinets won't break the bank and are worth it to replace instead of sanding and painting them 

  • Member since 2022 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    Thank you so much, John and Elliot, appreciate the feedback.

  • Real Estate Agent · FL · Member since 2022 · 54 posts · 31 votes
    3y

    Depending how bad they are, I would paint them myself. I rehabbed a 1978 home with all original cabinets and I repainted them, added new hardware and I swear you cannot tell the difference between them and new ones. Total cost? maybe....200 bucks. 

    Replacement cost? - $2,500. 

    No brainer. 

  • Member since 2022 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    Wow Ben that's amazing, any tips on what kind of paint to buy?

  • Member since 2021 · 166 posts · 113 votes
    3y

    Do you have to pull the cabinets down to repaint them, or do you repaint in place? Trying to understand the order of operations to do this: detach doors, sand, prime, repaint boxes. Repeat for doors and add updated hardware. Is that mostly correct? Any idea what an average cost might be for this work (yes, I know it depends on number of cabinets).

  • Germany · Member since 2020 · 46 posts · 21 votes
    3y

    Hey @Evelyn J Good,

    My parents actually just did this in their home in Orlando. Just sent you a DM with his contact info. If anyone else would like it, let me know. I don't want to put his phone number on an open forum.

  • Investor · Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2022 · 20 posts · 13 votes
    3y

    I rehabbed a couple of kitchens this year and used Sherwin WillIams paint then bought new hardware at Home Depot. Looks great, tenants are happy, much cheaper than new cabinets. I will say do not go cheap on paint, get the right paint for the job.  Also. Make sure the contractor does the job correctly. Degreasing and light sanding are essential to making the rehabbed cabinets look new again. Happy to send you pictures if you want to see.

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y

    Hi to paint some cabinets first try to see what type of wood you have for example if the have hole or knots fill it out with bondo.. all depends en what you’re looking for you can get some ideas from Pinterest and to do it yourself there is great information in YouTube 

    For a new cabinet you are between 400 to 500 per box depending on the style, color

    Can be a little more for bigger cabinets size usually you have to percentage to tearing out your kitchen and disposal 

    Cabinet install can be a 10% of the total costs of the cabinets 

    This is my number I can recommend you few opción in Florida or places so you can go and get it if you prefer that 

    I hope you find this text helpful 

    Victor Bruno 

    5613252047

  • Jared HottleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA · Member since 2020 · 902 posts · 549 votes
    3y

    I have had good luck with painting cabinets. scuff sand, take off hardware and ask the people at sherwin williams what they recommend for paint. probably something oil based. Also have had luck refacing cabinets for much cheaper then replacing. I would call around to cabinet makers and see if that is something they can do. 

  • Member since 2022 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    Thanks everybody, i really appreciate your input.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    Painting cabinets is so easy, a caveman can do it.  They painted their caves, they can paint a cabinet.

  • Real Estate Agent · FL · Member since 2022 · 54 posts · 31 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Evelyn J Good:

    Wow Ben that's amazing, any tips on what kind of paint to buy?


     I don't remember what paint I used. Check what kind of wood they are, match them up with a good Sherwin Williams paint that is for cabinets. There are different types and you'll need the right one for a professional look. Also update the hardware. That is where you will get a good, professional look to them. 

    Good luck!

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Victor Bruno:

    Cabinet install can be a 10% of the total costs of the cabinets 

    I always used to charge a minimum of $1000 for cabinet install. It's a lot of work to do it right.....


  • Leavenworth, WA · Member since 2019 · 35 posts · 21 votes
    3y

    We did this and used milk paint we bought through Amazon. Our cabinets are oak and in good shape, the layout wasn’t changing so it was worth it and really brightened the space. My caution to you is it is really time consuming and a fair amount of work. Ours isn’t a huge kitchen and it was days of work and very disruptive. I’d also echo what others said and also get new hardware and also consider the other finishes. We replaced the sink, faucet, added open shelving, lights and of course counters. If you only paint the cabinets and the rest of the kitchen is still dated, it will look not quite done.  Attached are before and after pics of ours (in various staging of updates). 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    @Jennifer Moraski That actually looks pretty good, as far as I can tell from the pics. Must be good paint....

    But my opinion is still that only a professional painter with a spray rig and oil based paint can really make it look perfect....

  • Member since 2022 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    Thanks for the tip Jennifer really looks amazing. I will hire somebody to do it for me. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2017 · 543 posts · 474 votes
    3y

    @Evelyn J Good Painting cabinets can be a great option but if you want good results it is not always as easy as some would have you believe. A lot depends on the type of wood and the current finish. Maple or birch is easier than oak, for example. Be cause some woods have more visible grain, the irregularities in the surface need to be filled and sanded smooth, which is a lot of work. Existing finish needs to be sanded, primed and then often painted twice. To do the job right, drawer fronts and cabinet doors should be removed and interior ‘edges’ painted as well. Having remodeled numerous kitchens, I have found that at times it is easier and not much more costly to replace with RTA (ready to assemble) cabinets.

    Unless you just want them painted and don’t care much about how the finished product looks. May not matter for lower end rentals.

  • Rental Property Investor · Biloxi, MS · Member since 2008 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    @Evelyn J Good I wouldn’t change the cabinet unless your changing the layout. Replacing cabinet involves much more material and labor cost. What are you going to do with the countertops? Who is going to disconnect and reconnect your plumbing? Does it have a dishwasher that will have to be detached and reset also.

    You can easily repaint yourself for less than a couple of hundred bucks.

    Replacement couldn’t easily be 2-3k depending on material and labor cost.

  • Member since 2022 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    Thanks everyone for all your input, really appreciate it.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Evelyn J Good  I would not put the effort into painting unless the cabinets are solid, your sink base is good, and you have adjustable shelves.  I personally also don't like cabinets with center stiles but others are fine with them. If you have melamine or vinyl fronted cabinets you are better off doing a door replacement. Not as expensive as new cabinets but more than paint.  If you have a bad layout bite the bullet and replace them, you won't be sorry. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.