Need your opinion about painting a kitchen cabinet instead of replacing it. Any company in Orlando that you can recommend? Thanks in advance for your input.
Adding to a year old post .
I am refinishing and painting kitchen cabinets this week . ( yes it will take a whole week ) . Now this is my personal house , so I am going a bit more than redoing a rental . I removed every door and drawer front , and every drawer and shelf . We sanded everything , even inside the cabinets . Why the inside ? Because the cabinets are older , but great quality , they have oak fronts . I have 1 shot to do the job , there is no reason not to .
It was 1 entire day with 2 people removing doors , fronts and hardware, and then sanding . It was another entire day wiping down with thinner and priming just the doors and drawer fronts . ( 40 all together ) This used an entire gallon of Zimmer primer , 2 coats . At $79 a gallon .
Day 2 was sand with 220 sandpaper and then apply 2 coats of Sherwin Williams Gallery Cabinet paint Semi Gloss white . Thats 2 coats on the inside and 2 coats on the front . Lightly sanding in between coats . Started at 7 this morning and finished last coat at 3:30 . Used 1 Gallon and a half at $ 115 a gallon . Its ready to recoat at a little bit more than 1 hour . This paint is SPRAY ONLY , I am using a Graco commercial airless sprayer . I am repainting and refinishig the floors , so the work is being done in the living room and kitchen . ( You need room ) . So far the finish is as smooth as glass .
Day 3 will be moving the painted parts and wiping down and painting the drawers , both inside and outside , 2 coats , and painting the hardware while waiting .
Day 4 will be adding crown molding to the top of the cabinets and spraying 2 coats of primer to the entire cabinet , inside and out . Overkill ? yes , but when you open any cabinet or drawer you wont see any of the old wood finish .
Day 5 will be painting the cabinets .
Just in paint and supplies , it will be around $750 . Then there is the new counter top , sink faucet , and tile back splash . Reassembly will be in the evenings next week . Letting the paint time to cure .
Even though I am a contractor , none of my painters wanted the work , I can now see why . I did get quotes from a few companies that do only cabinet painting and the cheapest was $7000. I now know why . This is much harder than painting a car , ( I use to do do some custom paint jobs in the 80's) .
I could have bought new cabinets , but new of similar build materials and quality was going to run about $12K . Just cabinets . So far the finish has exceeded mine and my wifes expectations . The cost savings will go towards , countertop , tile ,lighting , and stainless appliances .
Can you do this yourself ? Sure . BUT this is a whole lot of work , and spraying paint takes a bit of practice to get the rythm down to avoid runs and sags . And the house is empty , its getting a head to toe make over . One and done .
@Colleen F. @Jared Hottle where can you find reasonably priced cabinet doors? My friend in Montreal just replaced her rental property cabinet doors. 9 of them for less than $400 CAD for material. I don't think we can find something so cheap in the US. I have looked for cabinet doors a few times when I need to update my rental unit kitchens and for the ones in not so desirable location, I have opted for painting. Not the greatest but much better than what was there. I also have painted cabinets myself using the Rustoleum product (when the rental property was only 5 minutes from my house and I had a house with a basement for me to do work). If I can find reasonably priced slab doors ($30-$50 with hinge bore). I have also come across vinyl contact paper. That might give a good look for wood that is not in perfect condition and wood that has lots of wood grain. Might try that on one of the turns.
Marina, I have used kitchendoorsonline.net a few times. I've been real happy with their product and the pricing.
@Colleen F. @Jared Hottle where can you find reasonably priced cabinet doors? My friend in Montreal just replaced her rental property cabinet doors. 9 of them for less than $400 CAD for material. I don't think we can find something so cheap in the US. I have looked for cabinet doors a few times when I need to update my rental unit kitchens and for the ones in not so desirable location, I have opted for painting. Not the greatest but much better than what was there. I also have painted cabinets myself using the Rustoleum product (when the rental property was only 5 minutes from my house and I had a house with a basement for me to do work). If I can find reasonably priced slab doors ($30-$50 with hinge bore). I have also come across vinyl contact paper. That might give a good look for wood that is not in perfect condition and wood that has lots of wood grain. Might try that on one of the turns.
There is a cabinet maker in town that makes cabinets out of melamine. On the refaces we just paint the face frames white and he comes in and measures and cuts out the cabinet doors out of melamine that has a slight off white wood pattern. I think they look amazing, I would call around to cabinet makers and see if they do such a thing. He likes doing them because not a ton of material or time spent making them so he gets his money quicker then a full kitchen.

It looks very nice. Thank you Jared.
Marina, I have used kitchendoorsonline.net a few times. I've been real happy with their product and the pricing.
Thank you Jim. I went to their website and the price is still too high compared to what my friend in Canada is paying. Also some of the cheaper styles are wood veneer or painted wood grade and I just want some plain white cabinet doors, even if it's just Formica
Adding to a year old post .
I am refinishing and painting kitchen cabinets this week . ( yes it will take a whole week ) . Now this is my personal house , so I am going a bit more than redoing a rental . I removed every door and drawer front , and every drawer and shelf . We sanded everything , even inside the cabinets . Why the inside ? Because the cabinets are older , but great quality , they have oak fronts . I have 1 shot to do the job , there is no reason not to .
It was 1 entire day with 2 people removing doors , fronts and hardware, and then sanding . It was another entire day wiping down with thinner and priming just the doors and drawer fronts . ( 40 all together ) This used an entire gallon of Zimmer primer , 2 coats . At $79 a gallon .
Day 2 was sand with 220 sandpaper and then apply 2 coats of Sherwin Williams Gallery Cabinet paint Semi Gloss white . Thats 2 coats on the inside and 2 coats on the front . Lightly sanding in between coats . Started at 7 this morning and finished last coat at 3:30 . Used 1 Gallon and a half at $ 115 a gallon . Its ready to recoat at a little bit more than 1 hour . This paint is SPRAY ONLY , I am using a Graco commercial airless sprayer . I am repainting and refinishig the floors , so the work is being done in the living room and kitchen . ( You need room ) . So far the finish is as smooth as glass .
Day 3 will be moving the painted parts and wiping down and painting the drawers , both inside and outside , 2 coats , and painting the hardware while waiting .
Day 4 will be adding crown molding to the top of the cabinets and spraying 2 coats of primer to the entire cabinet , inside and out . Overkill ? yes , but when you open any cabinet or drawer you wont see any of the old wood finish .
Day 5 will be painting the cabinets .
Just in paint and supplies , it will be around $750 . Then there is the new counter top , sink faucet , and tile back splash . Reassembly will be in the evenings next week . Letting the paint time to cure .
Even though I am a contractor , none of my painters wanted the work , I can now see why . I did get quotes from a few companies that do only cabinet painting and the cheapest was $7000. I now know why . This is much harder than painting a car , ( I use to do do some custom paint jobs in the 80's) .
I could have bought new cabinets , but new of similar build materials and quality was going to run about $12K . Just cabinets . So far the finish has exceeded mine and my wifes expectations . The cost savings will go towards , countertop , tile ,lighting , and stainless appliances .
Can you do this yourself ? Sure . BUT this is a whole lot of work , and spraying paint takes a bit of practice to get the rythm down to avoid runs and sags . And the house is empty , its getting a head to toe make over . One and done .