Air BnB Arbitrage $25k-58k per Month Opportunity

Air BnB Arbitrage $25k-58k per Month Opportunity

Investor · Highland Park, IL · Member since 2022 · 38 posts · 26 votes

Hey BiggerPockets fam!

I am a college student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and came across a genius Air BnB arbitrage idea.

There are 15 students who are going abroad for 5 months and are leaving their units vacant because they are too lazy/incompetent to sublease their apartments. I have created a model where I would pick up their sublease for 60 cents on the dollar (around 600 for each unit) and rent it out on air bnb for $100-$200 a day with an expected occupancy of 75% - $24,750-$58,500 per month for 5 months (if feasible, I could expand to upwards of 100 students).

Sounds great right?

However, I have one issue:

In the terms of the lease, it states "All sublets must be approved in writing by management". Do you think I will have any issues with the landlord in doing so?

I would love some help from experienced Air BnB'ers and would definitely consider doing this as a JV.

Please let me know Y'all's thoughts!!!!

3Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
3y

I can see so many things going wrong, I don't know where to start.

Furnishings, utilities, cleaning, restocking and most of all the expected nightly rate and occupancy percentages.  If it's such a great opportunity, why aren't landlords doing the same things themselves.  What if the landlord sees what you are doing and kicks you out to do it himself?

You're trying to rent a car from Hertz and then re-renting it to an Uber driver.

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    I can see so many things going wrong, I don't know where to start.

    Furnishings, utilities, cleaning, restocking and most of all the expected nightly rate and occupancy percentages.  If it's such a great opportunity, why aren't landlords doing the same things themselves.  What if the landlord sees what you are doing and kicks you out to do it himself?

    You're trying to rent a car from Hertz and then re-renting it to an Uber driver.

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Daniel Kaplan, I have zero experience with Airbnb Arbitrage, however, if a tenant came to me asking for permission to sublet the unit out to an individual who was going to then go sublet to others regularly, I would say hell no. That being said, I appreciate your hussle and will advocate that it doesn't hurt to ask. I agree with what you noted above, if you do pursue this model, I advise you to team up with someone experienced. Best of luck! Keep us posted. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    What incentive would it be for the management to accept this? None really.

    Less wear and tear of empty.

  • Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    It's a great idea, love your thinking. Many students sublease their own apartments.  but that's typically only one person for the summer, not many guests.  You could try it without getting the approval, but if you had roudy guests, they could get reported and you'd get your clients kicked out of their apartments.  I'm not saying to not do it, but trying to think of a way to help solve this.  

  • Investor · Highland Park, IL · Member since 2022 · 38 posts · 26 votes
    3y

    @Paul Sandhu The landlord isn't doing it themselves because they have over $200,000,000 worth of real estate in this particular market and are focused on long-term lease agreements. The extra returns with air bnb aren't worth the headache for them. My main concern was regarding issues with the landlord, hence why I was posting this for everyone to comment on. The landlords aren't too hands-on with their properties from what I have seen/heard of so far. I live in an apartment owned by the same company and the property manager of this particular property lives within a 12 hour drive of us. 

  • Investor · Highland Park, IL · Member since 2022 · 38 posts · 26 votes
    3y

    @Grant Bynum In all honesty, these landlords are terrible and rarely even check up on their properties. I live in an apartment owned by the same company and they have a property manager who literally lives 12 hours away from the property I am leasing and never comes (besides when there are major complaints from all 30 of us tenants). 

  • Investor · Highland Park, IL · Member since 2022 · 38 posts · 26 votes
    3y

    @John Underwood They would have no incentive. Maybe I could offer them extra cash on top considering they already have a year long lease signed. It would just be extra cash in their pocket. Just a thought

  • Investor · Highland Park, IL · Member since 2022 · 38 posts · 26 votes
    3y

    @Michael Dumler What would the logistics be of me hypothetically moving forward with this without telling management? Just spit-balling ideas here.

  • Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Daniel Kaplan:

    @Grant Bynum In all honesty, these landlords are terrible and rarely even check up on their properties. I live in an apartment owned by the same company and they have a property manager who literally lives 12 hours away from the property I am leasing and never comes (besides when there are major complaints from all 30 of us tenants). 


     Why don't you go to the management company and say you are going to work with one apartment? And that you will give a cut of the profits to them of what you earn?  Once they agree on one, then hit them up for more. 

  • Investor · Highland Park, IL · Member since 2022 · 38 posts · 26 votes
    3y

    @Grant Bynum The only issue is that I'd be dealing with a W-2 employee instead of the actual landlord of the property. So they may just say no right away considering they essentially don't have too much say in what goes on.

  • Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    Daniel, what if you went to the students and offered to get only ONE sublet tenant for the summer, not tons of tenants? It would be less money, but it'd make it easier to get everyone's buy in, including the landlord? 

  • Investor · Highland Park, IL · Member since 2022 · 38 posts · 26 votes
    3y

    @Grant Bynum That's honestly a good idea. My goal was to get it to work at a larger quantity. If not, going with one tenant is most definitely the next best route to go down. 

  • Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    It might be a winner.  

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    So is it even allowed in the area to do STRs? Is it designated student housing specifically? It might not be allowed due to zoning or the university having some kind of restrictions that the owners have to follow.

    I would start there and make sure you can even do it.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Daniel Kaplan:

    @John Underwood They would have no incentive. Maybe I could offer them extra cash on top considering they already have a year long lease signed. It would just be extra cash in their pocket. Just a thought


     I think you need something along these lines to incentivize them.

  • Christian EhlersBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · NH & MA · Member since 2021 · 457 posts · 291 votes
    3y

    For the arbitrage model there are benefits to the owners/landlords you just have to find the right landlord that is okay with it. For instance the place will be professionally cleaned several times a month making sure it stays sparkling clean. You could potentially pay them slightly more rent (though I would encourage this option right out of the gate as you are taking on extra risk). You could offer to handle the maintenance of these units to avoid any extra headache. The biggest thing I've seen is being able to show them how you prevent parties and bad guests! (Noise monitoring systems in units, ring doorbell cameras, requiring guest ID's before checkin). These could all be points to sell them on, but of course you need the landlord's consent to try any arbitrage strategy. 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Daniel Kaplan:

    @Paul Sandhu The landlord isn't doing it themselves because they have over $200,000,000 worth of real estate in this particular market and are focused on long-term lease agreements. The extra returns with air bnb aren't worth the headache for them. My main concern was regarding issues with the landlord, hence why I was posting this for everyone to comment on. The landlords aren't too hands-on with their properties from what I have seen/heard of so far. I live in an apartment owned by the same company and the property manager of this particular property lives within a 12 hour drive of us. 


    Any entity that has $200 million in RE investments just in your market has a pretty heavy staff, which could easily offer the current tenant a deal in which S/he would have their rent reduced over the 5 month period while they STR'd their apartments for them. You really have no value proposition whatsoever to offer the property owners, so in order to pull this off you'd have to sublet these places on the sly since I guarantee the management says "No way". The extra cash you think you might be offering to the owners to convince them to let you do this is chump change compared to the risks they experience allowing someone without any skin in the game to take over management of 15 of their units for 5 months.

    Assuming you move forward - renting them out illegally - then the other considerations of STRs come into play, i.e. are STRs legal in this area? Is occupancy as high as you believe in that area? Cost recovery issues (frequency of cleaning, repairs & maintenance, etc), insurance, etc.

    I know a lot of landlords and I don't know a single one that allows this "arbitrage" model, which is really a Carlin-esque way of saying "individual with no assets attempting to profit from another's asset". I don't own anywhere near $200 million worth of RE and I wouldn't be swayed by a cash incentive to be an unvested manager of any of my properties, so I don't see how someone for who it really would be a rounding error would accept that additional risk.
    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Daniel Kaplan:

    You need the Landlord's permission to do what you want to do. Ask and see what happens. Don't be surprised if he rejects your idea and be prepared to accept his decision because it's his property.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2021 · 25 posts · 25 votes
    3y

    @Daniel Kaplan

    As everyone pointed out the first hurdle would be getting the LL to approve, which is a tough sell.

    To me the bigger question assuming the LL approves is on the demand side, what gives you the confidence that you’ll be able to find tenants to stay in that type of living situation? I get that it’s a college town and all but I would not make the assumption that you’ll be able to fill all of those units. A certain % of them sure but then that begs the question what kind of tenant would this attract and is the LL up for the risk/headache. From the LLs perspective they’re still making money even though the students are going away for a few months, put yourself in the LLs shoes.

  • Investor · Scranton, PA · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    @Daniel Kaplan I love your creative thinking. I read a bunch of negative inputs on why management or landlords wouldn't accept an airbnb arbitrage at their properties however I wanted to provide some positive input from my perspective.

    I've been talking with another investor who's wanting to get into airbnb arbitrage and the idea sounds like a good business model for the right owner. I've been focusing only on buy and hold in multifamily properties for now, in and around Wilkes-Barre and Scranton PA. I understand the airbnb model makes a lot more money, but I personally don't have the time to do an airbnb at this moment and only care about my cash flow each month. If someone was willing to pay my desired rents, and assumed all responsibility for the repairs and damages caused by their business (put in their lease agreement), then I wouldn't care that they were running an airbnb out of my property. I love seeing others find creative ways to make money in this world and would be happy to make a deal with them. For me I only care about getting a good tenant in place to pay my rent and not destroy the place. If tenant agrees to cover damages then that checks my risk parameter box. You can even agree to pay an extra $100-200/mo on the rent to make the owner even happier.

    So stay positive and see what the owner and management says. For this model moving forward look for investor savvy real estate owners who understand the game and are willing to help others build their business. I think there's a lot more out there than assumed. Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.