Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
Hey all - Thought I'd throw this out there.....One of our places is fully booked - but on weekends only. It has been booked every single weekend of the entire year. And that is great! However, we really need to get this booked up more in order for it to become more financially attractive. I'd like to have more weekly bookings.
The way it is making money now, we could get more by just doing a typical LTR, but I'd rather not do that.
It does cash flow (because we paid cash for it), but not like I want it to.
Does the listing look ok to you guys? Any ideas? This is close to a super popular area of a popular vacation city that is packed with visitors every week and weekend. We are also within walking distance to the local hospital, so I had thought of nurses or doctors...?
Real Estate Broker · Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
Hey @Bruce Woodruff, in general it looks solid. I would play around with changing your minimum night stays to at least 4, using surge pricing on the weekends, or using something like PriceLabs "mid-term stay dynamic minimums" to massage the booking tendencies here.
I really like the flooring. :) That’s first thing my eyes went to. But probably because I’m looking at flooring for a cabin we’re remodeling. Ha!
A nice looking fire pit outside would be inexpensive and have me booking in a heartbeat.
You should have seen that floor when we got it :-( We had to sand every square inch of that floor by hand, yikes. but it does look cool now!
Would a propane fueled firepit be ok you think? We hesitate with wood burning because the area is high fire risk.....
Well you did a fantastic job with it. I love it.
Propane would be fine. We have wood because it’s way less maintenance. They’re all on gravel pits we built up (may sound lame but they’re awesome, would be happy to send you links to my listings if you’d like to see them). They’re easy to build and low maintenance to keep up. And guests LOVE them. And I’m serious about that deck! It can be a highlight of the house! String some lights, give it some Adirondack rockers, or something! It could be a real selling point.
Hey all - Thought I'd throw this out there.....One of our places is fully booked - but on weekends only. It has been booked every single weekend of the entire year. And that is great! However, we really need to get this booked up more in order for it to become more financially attractive. I'd like to have more weekly bookings.
The way it is making money now, we could get more by just doing a typical LTR, but I'd rather not do that.
It does cash flow (because we paid cash for it), but not like I want it to.
Does the listing look ok to you guys? Any ideas? This is close to a super popular area of a popular vacation city that is packed with visitors every week and weekend. We are also within walking distance to the local hospital, so I had thought of nurses or doctors...?
Bruce I think your listing is perfect. The only problem is the pricing, make it to use dynamic pricing with some software where the weekday price is adjusted automatically based on market demands.
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 276 posts · 235 votes
3y
Also, it sleeps four but I don’t see anywhere I could hang out comfortable with three other people (again- a great way to use the deck). And I’d change the game/fireplace living room to a space for four people to gather around the fireplace. Doesn’t look super large but maybe a sofa/loveseat and two smaller reading chairs?
Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
3y
1) offer discount for weekdays ...Maybe $99 2) offer overall discount for reservations 5+ days 3) lower the cleaning fees ( I didnt look at yours but this is what will drive me away from a great booking at times )
And I’m serious about that deck! It can be a highlight of the house! String some lights, give it some Adirondack rockers, or something! It could be a real selling point.
I would love to see what you've done. Please PM me for my email.
That upper deck overlooks the creek and does get some use I think. Maybe we've been overlooking it....?
1) offer discount for weekdays ...Maybe $99 2) offer overall discount for reservations 5+ days 3) lower the cleaning fees ( I didnt look at yours but this is what will drive me away from a great booking at times )
Thanks, Dave. Our cleaning fee is only $65. We do our own cleaning and I also hate high cleaning fees. I think $65 is more than fair for a 1700 SF house....?
@Bruce Woodruff- thats an excellent cleaning fee ! I applaud this and might have to make a trip to visit your place
Thanks! It is a big thing for me too. I once almost booked a little condo over in Parker AZ because it was close to the river and fairly priced (<$100 night). Then I clicked on the total and it was $500 for 2 nights! Fricking $250 cleaning fee!
Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
I think you’re definitely underpriced on summer weekends. July 4th weekend with the big rodeo in town is still only $129 a night. I would up the price for event weekends and the minimum stay to 3 days in the summer. I’m shocked that you aren’t booked solid during the week in summer at that price. The house is really cute. A few suggestions:
Both bedrooms have no nightstands or table lamps. People need a place for their phone and eyeglasses. And if you only have an overhead light, it is glaring when laying in bed, and then the guest must turn off the light-switch by the door and possibly stumble as they make their way in the dark to an unfamiliar bed. As someone else mentioned, there is no indoor place for 4 people to hang out. The sofa is for 2. Could you add any more seating in front of the TV? A love seat, or swivel chairs? I agree that some of the photos could be better. I would have them retaken when leaves are green, that would help a lot. The outdoor shot of the patio really needs that. I understand that you want to preserve views of the creek, but maybe hanging some western decor on the chain link fence would spruce it up while still allowing views. There is a technique that pros use to improve the windows so the view out them isn’t washed out, which you need here. I would retake the bathroom shot with the shower curtain open. It looks like you have a nicely tiled surround, and guests will want to see that it’s been modernized. One more thing on hanging artwork to make it visually appealing, the rule of thumb is to hang it so the middle of the painting is at eye level- about 57 to 60” from the floor, unless it’s over a sofa, then the bottom of the frame goes 8 to 10” above it. Some of your artwork looks a little high up.
Hey all - Thought I'd throw this out there.....One of our places is fully booked - but on weekends only. It has been booked every single weekend of the entire year. And that is great! However, we really need to get this booked up more in order for it to become more financially attractive. I'd like to have more weekly bookings.
The way it is making money now, we could get more by just doing a typical LTR, but I'd rather not do that.
It does cash flow (because we paid cash for it), but not like I want it to.
Does the listing look ok to you guys? Any ideas? This is close to a super popular area of a popular vacation city that is packed with visitors every week and weekend. We are also within walking distance to the local hospital, so I had thought of nurses or doctors...?
1. I think you have the hospitality part of things down based on your reviews. Everyone essentially says you were a great host so that is your calling card in my opinion.
2. There's no reasonable way to tell there's a creek there from the pictures that I could see. In fact I would retake the outside pictures in the spring or summer when there's a canopy rather than when everything looks dead.
3. The backyard feature is cool but (I'm being honest here :) ) it looks like a dump - dirt on the floor, what appears to be some kind of trailer park or similar on the other side of the trees, mismatched chain link fencing, mismatched chairs, etc. If there's any spot that I think you could get some bang for the buck it's definitely here. Do you own on the other side of the creek or is that the property boundary? Is there a necessity for the fence in the back area?
4. I would (personally) ditch the Namaste picture; anyone who does yoga, transcendental meditation or anything else that involves "Hommmmm" will know what the space and the mats are for, and the people that don't do it won't care. When I see a picture of a person in a place I want to stay my first thought is "does the person come with the place?"
5. I would definitely adjust pricing to be cheaper on weekdays and more expensive on weekends, and implement a 3 day minimum.
6. I think you have a very cool western vibe going on in the house.
Overall I can't imagine you're doing much "wrong" based on your reviews. The house is obviously comfortable and convenient. The other thing you could do is just make sure you're raking it in on weekends and just accept the M-Th vacancies as part of the scene. Sometimes it's just a factor of where you are and when people want to stay there, and you can't really do anything about that.
Portland, OR · Member since 2020 · 65 posts · 37 votes
3y
Hey Bruce –
Congrats on your success thus far! If you want to take this to the next level here’s what I would do:
• #1 Photos. You need new photos – no question about it. The photos are grainy, the lighting is not great, and some are just kind of odd to be honest.
o The main photo has a light in it that’s unnecessary. It’s also taking up roughly 10% of your main photo’s real estate.
o There’s another photo in the kitchen that has a trashcan in it. Get that out of there – take the picture, then put it back. You don’t need that in your photos.
o The Horse Tradin’ one. I’m not sure what photo is highlighting?
o The one in the kitchen with the cookies and the candles. Again, I’m not sure what the point of the photo is. Do I get cookies if I stay here?
o The yoga photo is great – highlighting the amenities that you offer. However, I would stay away from having people in your phots.
o I’m not sure what that pole is between the living room and dining room but try to angle your photos so it’s not in there. I don’t think anyone will leave a bad review because they didn’t know you had a structural beam/pole in your house prior to arriving.
• Lighten it up! It’s too dark in there. You have a dark couch, the rugs are also dark, and the walls are a tanish/yellow.
o Paint the walls white
o Get a lighter color couch
o Get new, light-colored rugs. The coffee table is awesome! However, I barely notice is because it practically blends-in the with the rug.
o Get new lighter colored bed covers, ideally white.
o Living room is too dark. Maybe get one of those floor lamps that hangs over?
• Miscellaneous
o What’s up with the red floor in the dining room? It kind of looks like it’s OSB painted red. I would get some matching hardwoods (or whatever you have in the house) and cover that up
o I know this may sound odd, but I would get a modern looking front door for your house. For whatever reason it seems to attract people’s attention when looking at listing.
o If the budget allows, paint the exterior a dark gray/black.
Specialist · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 291 posts · 231 votes
3y
@Bruce Woodruff it looks solid overall. I love the flooring. I don’t love the comforters and you need more colors. But your two main issues are pricing and algorithm placement. The pricing is the easier of the two to fix and will have positive effect on algorithm placement as long as you also keep review average up.
I disagree with everyone saying longer minimum night stay particularly if you have a good price like it sounds like you do for cleanings and a good term over system. The longer your minimum night day is the less revenue a property will have and the less occupancy period. I’m sure I will get people that disagree but at least in my market it’s a fact and I’m sure in most markets it’s a fact. Only times it may not be true is if you don’t do same day turn overs or if the area caps the number of yearly stays in some way.
And I’m serious about that deck! It can be a highlight of the house! String some lights, give it some Adirondack rockers, or something! It could be a real selling point.
I would love to see what you've done. Please PM me for my email.
That upper deck overlooks the creek and does get some use I think. Maybe we've been overlooking it....?
I’ll PM you. And yes, you’re 100% overlooking it, especially if it looks over the creek. That sounds incredibly relaxing. I’d much rather see that fixed up and highlighted than a yoga room.
Increase the minimum night stay, adjust the price so it's lower for less-desirable nights, offer discounts (book three nights and get the 4th night 1/2 off!), etc. STudy the market and see what others are doing.
Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
@Bruce Woodruff lots of seemingly good ideas for improving the visuals but if you are getting booked every weekend I’m not sure that’s really any kind of key issue?
Agree with pricing like we always talk about, but trying to think about what would appeal to week long guests vs. weekend.
Could it be as simple as putting in more text regarding “spend a week enjoying….” And let the SEO stuff do it’s magic? Maybe talk up restaurants and local attractions more..?
On-site laundry mention, fully equipped kitchen? Those are thing I would be looking for if staying for a week and wouldn’t care much about for a weekend. I’m sure there are others for others.
Is there a pattern in who books? Couples? Families?
Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
3y
When it comes to AirBnBs it is not just YOUR listing you need to look at. What does the competition look like, how do their rates vary during the week.
When we do our short term rentals we always make it very special. We don't make it look like a normal house (which is what yours looks like). We letterally make it an experience, unmatched experience. One house we are doing now, we have a 9 foot span window in the kitchen instead of a backsplash and the granite goes from the inside through that window to the outside, with a bar on the otherside.
When we stage it, we put happy people in the pictures having fun talking to the other people inside the house. Paint a picture for them what experience it would be staying at that house. Even when our cometition have great houses for cheaper, people do not do short term rentals to jsut stay for the sake of having a roof above their head for a day or 3. They want an EXPERIENCE.
Give them one.
Here are a few things I would change. Landscaping.. ad a BUNCH of flowers etverywhere, not just a shrub here and there. Hide that chainlink fence with something.. shrubs, Slats, be creative. Add 4, 9 ft poles with the sitting area in the middle and put up stringlights.
Paint/furnish the inside a bit more interestingly.
Spruce up the place. Make it a lux hotel- amazing home experience.
I can only give you a limited list because I am not there. Look at the house. Identify the special things about the hosue and highlight them turn them into features.
No we don't own past the fence. Unfortunately there are some double-wides etc. over there. This is an old neighborhood that is currently gentrifying....
When it comes to AirBnBs it is not just YOUR listing you need to look at. What does the competition look like, how do their rates vary during the week.
When we do our short term rentals we always make it very special. We don't make it look like a normal house (which is what yours looks like). We letterally make it an experience, unmatched experience. One house we are doing now, we have a 9 foot span window in the kitchen instead of a backsplash and the granite goes from the inside through that window to the outside, with a bar on the otherside.
When we stage it, we put happy people in the pictures having fun talking to the other people inside the house. Paint a picture for them what experience it would be staying at that house. Even when our cometition have great houses for cheaper, people do not do short term rentals to jsut stay for the sake of having a roof above their head for a day or 3. They want an EXPERIENCE.
Give them one.
Here are a few things I would change. Landscaping.. ad a BUNCH of flowers etverywhere, not just a shrub here and there. Hide that chainlink fence with something.. shrubs, Slats, be creative. Add 4, 9 ft poles with the sitting area in the middle and put up stringlights.
Paint/furnish the inside a bit more interestingly.
Spruce up the place. Make it a lux hotel- amazing home experience.
I can only give you a limited list because I am not there. Look at the house. Identify the special things about the hosue and highlight them turn them into features.
Could it be as simple as putting in more text regarding “spend a week enjoying….” And let the SEO stuff do it’s magic? Maybe talk up restaurants and local attractions more..?
On-site laundry mention, fully equipped kitchen? Those are thing I would be looking for if staying for a week and wouldn’t care much about for a weekend. I’m sure there are others for others.
Is there a pattern in who books? Couples? Families?
Thank you. Yes we have a full kitchen and laundry already. We get booked mainly by adult couples....1 or 2 couples visiting as tourists primarily...
Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 352 posts · 176 votes
3y
@Bruce Woodruff
Require booking Friday and Monday with the weekend or something of the like. I even know people who have gone with a week long minimum. The people who only want 2 or 3 days will be many, but as soon as they book the few people who did want a week are left looking elsewhere. I seen similar behavior with my Airbnb, I’m guessing a lot of people are experiencing the same thing.