Destin/Pensacola FL area · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 1 vote
I live here in Gulf Breeze FL by Pensacola. I am currently talking to Evolve and Vacasa. Evolve is 10% but I still need a PM that handles contacts and cleaning etc that is a flat 350-400 per month and includes in person contact, maintenance and answering messages/contacts from guests VS Vacasa is 18% with higher stated occupancy and includes everything down to linens, calls, maintenance, propane, soaps etc....
I am thinking maybe do the marketing myself with the programs that I know are available for marketing, booking and pricing while using the PM/cleaner that does the maintenance, calls, walk throughs without doing the marketing and pricing.
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
3y
Hey @Stan Santini, Evolve is a waste of 10% IMHO. All they really do is handle the bookings which is pretty easy IMHO. Vacasa is something that has been discussed quite a bit on the forums so I recommend a search to read up on them.
I feel that you could do all of this yourself. Getting a good cleaner will be the first hurdle. They will be your main boots on the ground. It isn't that hard, especially if you are right there.
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
3y
Hey @Stan Santini, Evolve is a waste of 10% IMHO. All they really do is handle the bookings which is pretty easy IMHO. Vacasa is something that has been discussed quite a bit on the forums so I recommend a search to read up on them.
I feel that you could do all of this yourself. Getting a good cleaner will be the first hurdle. They will be your main boots on the ground. It isn't that hard, especially if you are right there.
Hey @Stan Santini, Evolve is a waste of 10% IMHO. All they really do is handle the bookings which is pretty easy IMHO. Vacasa is something that has been discussed quite a bit on the forums so I recommend a search to read up on them.
I feel that you could do all of this yourself. Getting a good cleaner will be the first hurdle. They will be your main boots on the ground. It isn't that hard, especially if you are right there.
Hey @Stan Santini, Evolve is a waste of 10% IMHO. All they really do is handle the bookings which is pretty easy IMHO. Vacasa is something that has been discussed quite a bit on the forums so I recommend a search to read up on them.
I feel that you could do all of this yourself. Getting a good cleaner will be the first hurdle. They will be your main boots on the ground. It isn't that hard, especially if you are right there.
Exactly.
Get a good cleaner, use Vrbo and Airbnb to handle bookings and automate most messages and your already 90% of the way to self managing.
Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
Nooooooo. What starts out crazy, ends crazier - and the more people with their hands in the till, the less control and return you have. It's not that hard to do any of this if you understand the business. First, know the booking sites that are the best for your property. AirBnb and Vrbo are pretty standard bets and you can easily set-up the marketing and reservations for your property yourself on those. They each have checklists/training that prepare you for setting up and running a successful business - for free. And, do yourself a favor and don't list your property if it's not maintenance-free; do the work first so that no major issues arise - including replacing the toilet flush valve, air filters, light bulbs (if old), and ensuring there are no trip hazards on the property; have an entry process/system in place for guests. A housekeeper who specializes in vacation rentals and a handyman/handyman service who can be available when needed is all you need. Please take a step back and get a better understanding of how this works before proceeding. Setting up right from the start ensures happy guests leading to great reviews, responsive resource partners, and a greater ROI. Best...
Property Manager · Orlando Kissimmee Davenport Salt Lake City, Park City · Member since 2019 · 991 posts · 1k+ votes
3y
Not much to disagree with here. @Michael Baum nailed it on Evolve. They have a great business model.....for themselves. For 10% they do only the front end, which is the easy part.
Vacasa you can search on here and read about. Needless to say their general reputation in the industry is about as bad as you can get in an industry. They have local branches so it can vary from some to the other, but typically if you want to have your house neglected and ignored while they rent shift a huge chunk of the income direct from the guest to themselves, bypassing you entirely, then they're the way to go.
The vast majority here self manage. All of us thought it sounded daunting at the beginning, but now find it extremely doable. I don't want to say it's totally a breeze and just works on autopilot like some influencers will claim, but it's really not that bad and depending on your projected revenue it can save you a ton of money since your management fees come out of revenue, not just profit.
If you are dead set on not doing it yourself then I would recommend a smaller, more boutique style PM or co-host that sticks to only a handful of properties. Those types typically do a far better job than the large companies in terms of both taking care of your home and maximizing revenue.
Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
3y
You're not going to find someone that will be in charge of just the cleaning/maintenance for $350-$400 a month, let alone all the other things you mentioned. Like everyone else said, do it yourself. I DIY with my 23 STRs. Self-educated in property management, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, roofing, marketing, appliance repair, guest relations, spying and sabotage.
You're not going to find someone that will be in charge of just the cleaning/maintenance for $350-$400 a month, let alone all the other things you mentioned. Like everyone else said, do it yourself. I DIY with my 23 STRs. Self-educated in property management, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, roofing, marketing, appliance repair, guest relations, spying and sabotage.
You're not going to find someone that will be in charge of just the cleaning/maintenance for $350-$400 a month, let alone all the other things you mentioned. Like everyone else said, do it yourself. I DIY with my 23 STRs. Self-educated in property management, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, roofing, marketing, appliance repair, guest relations, spying and sabotage.
Actually, it is 185 per cleaning. My home has 3 queen beds and 2 triple bunk beds for 9 beds.
375 is the quote for 24 hour guest service, 24 hours light maintenance (easy fix), keep up inventory (shopping and replenish) and will co-host to get all communication though my wife may want to do that (unless she needs to reply 24/7 middle of night).
Lawn care is managed but separate fee. Same with quarterly pest control.
Nooooooo. What starts out crazy, ends crazier - and the more people with their hands in the till, the less control and return you have. It's not that hard to do any of this if you understand the business. First, know the booking sites that are the best for your property. AirBnb and Vrbo are pretty standard bets and you can easily set-up the marketing and reservations for your property yourself on those. They each have checklists/training that prepare you for setting up and running a successful business - for free. And, do yourself a favor and don't list your property if it's not maintenance-free; do the work first so that no major issues arise - including replacing the toilet flush valve, air filters, light bulbs (if old), and ensuring there are no trip hazards on the property; have an entry process/system in place for guests. A housekeeper who specializes in vacation rentals and a handyman/handyman service who can be available when needed is all you need. Please take a step back and get a better understanding of how this works before proceeding. Setting up right from the start ensures happy guests leading to great reviews, responsive resource partners, and a greater ROI. Best...
This was a full gut remodel. Everything is brand new. I found that the co-host/PM will accomplish everything that is a concern. I know there are programs out there that helps with pricing and managing the booking colander, so I just need to determine which program is best.
You're not going to find someone that will be in charge of just the cleaning/maintenance for $350-$400 a month, let alone all the other things you mentioned. Like everyone else said, do it yourself. I DIY with my 23 STRs. Self-educated in property management, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, roofing, marketing, appliance repair, guest relations, spying and sabotage.
You do the maintenance, calls, on boarding and everything else yourself and only hire cleaners?
You're not going to find someone that will be in charge of just the cleaning/maintenance for $350-$400 a month, let alone all the other things you mentioned. Like everyone else said, do it yourself. I DIY with my 23 STRs. Self-educated in property management, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, roofing, marketing, appliance repair, guest relations, spying and sabotage.
You do the maintenance, calls, on boarding and everything else yourself and only hire cleaners?
No. I do the maintenance, calls, on boarding and everything else. I've got a lady that does the cleaning for free and I get to sleep with her.
You're not going to find someone that will be in charge of just the cleaning/maintenance for $350-$400 a month, let alone all the other things you mentioned. Like everyone else said, do it yourself. I DIY with my 23 STRs. Self-educated in property management, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, roofing, marketing, appliance repair, guest relations, spying and sabotage.
You do the maintenance, calls, on boarding and everything else yourself and only hire cleaners?
No. I do the maintenance, calls, on boarding and everything else. I've got a lady that does the cleaning for free and I get to sleep with her.
That is the situation for me at the STR studio at my home, but this STR is 1-1/2 hours away. So, not as practical due to timing and everything else associated with the distance.
You're not going to find someone that will be in charge of just the cleaning/maintenance for $350-$400 a month, let alone all the other things you mentioned. Like everyone else said, do it yourself. I DIY with my 23 STRs. Self-educated in property management, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, roofing, marketing, appliance repair, guest relations, spying and sabotage.
You do the maintenance, calls, on boarding and everything else yourself and only hire cleaners?
No. I do the maintenance, calls, on boarding and everything else. I've got a lady that does the cleaning for free and I get to sleep with her.
That is the situation for me at the STR studio at my home, but this STR is 1-1/2 hours away. So, not as practical due to timing and everything else associated with the distance.
You could make it work with a local cleaner and a local handyman. Local to the STR, not local to where you live.
Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
Vacasa isn't just the 18% they charge you - they're also charging the guest 13%, plus a booking fee, and other fees too. That's in addition to the 3% Airbnb and 8% VRBO listing fees, and local taxes. Rent shifting, as @Ryan Moyer said. With all of these fees, Vacasa then needs to lower your nightly rate to be competitive with other STRs, lowering the profit for you.