ISO Good Handyman/Carpenter in Sevier County, TN

ISO Good Handyman/Carpenter in Sevier County, TN

Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes

Hello All,

I have a client who we manage for in FL who also has a cabin in Sevierville, TN.  They are desperately looking for a good handyman/carpenter.  Does anyone have someone they can recommend that I can pass along?  Thanks!

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 984 votes
3y

It is really hard to get reliable / consistent folks here. Everyone is doing repairs during our low season which is now. Best place really is to join the owners groups. Smoky Mountains VR Owners Only is good and folks share contacts. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y
    Aren't we all! Lol. Try local facebook groups. 
  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    OP
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Luke Carl:
    Aren't we all! Lol. Try local facebook groups. 

     Is it really that bad? She is literally there right now and says she cannot find anybody.  

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Luke Carl:
    Aren't we all! Lol. Try local facebook groups. 

     I agree.

    I see recommendations all the time in one of the area FB groups.

    What are you needing done?  There are different levels of Handymen.

    I had someone rebuild a back deck in Sevierville. I seem to get random different people via my PM doing work on our cabin.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    OP
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Luke Carl:
    Aren't we all! Lol. Try local facebook groups. 

     I agree.

    I see recommendations all the time in one of the area FB groups.

    What are you needing done?  There are different levels of Handymen.

    I had someone rebuild a back deck in Sevierville. I seem to get random different people via my PM doing work on our cabin.


     She is needing a carpenter specifically for some finish work.  I thought people on here would have someone well vetted versus going down the facebook rabbit hole.  I guess it really is tough there, I thought Florida was bad!

  • Real Estate Agent · Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 984 votes
    3y

    It is really hard to get reliable / consistent folks here. Everyone is doing repairs during our low season which is now. Best place really is to join the owners groups. Smoky Mountains VR Owners Only is good and folks share contacts. 

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    OP
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    @Leslie Anne Morris thanks Leslie I will do that!

  • Investor · Nashville / Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 49 votes
    3y

    @Andrew Steffens I agree with the other comments. Its brutal out there. Be careful in the FB rabbit hole, it can swallow you up! Wish I could help but anyone I have ever used is underwhelming at best. 

    This persons name gets thrown around quite a bit... in a good way. No personal experience though.

    Contractor: GSM Building - Clay Hanson 

    Best of luck.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    OP
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    @Mason Jeffries thank you!

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

    @Mason Jeffries thank you!


    It's not bad. It's certainly better than it used to be. But I don't think anyone is going to give out a number on the internet. I don't have anyone currently. Or do I? Just kidding.
  • Realtor · Gatlinburg · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
    3y

    I have a friend here in Gatlinburg that is a fully licensed contractor. He only works on referral and I can’t give his name out. I’m keeping him busy through early February and I may be having him do something else, but depending on the job and time it will take can determine his willingness. I could mention it to him tomorrow when he comes over to work on my log siding. 

    fwiw, my friend told me the people who are primarily on marketplace are people just trying to get leads for companies. The people who end up doing the actual work are not licensed, but they use the license of someone to do the work. What ends up happening is, you pay 10k for a deck and it gets outsourced sometimes several times and the final person who does the work ends up doing it for 3k. This is very common. 


  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    OP
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Carbone:

    I have a friend here in Gatlinburg that is a fully licensed contractor. He only works on referral and I can’t give his name out. I’m keeping him busy through early February and I may be having him do something else, but depending on the job and time it will take can determine his willingness. I could mention it to him tomorrow when he comes over to work on my log siding. 

    fwiw, my friend told me the people who are primarily on marketplace are people just trying to get leads for companies. The people who end up doing the actual work are not licensed, but they use the license of someone to do the work. What ends up happening is, you pay 10k for a deck and it gets outsourced sometimes several times and the final person who does the work ends up doing it for 3k. This is very common. 



     Thanks John I appreciate it, please do.  It is some finish carpentry work for now and then would like to find someone on call to assist with maintenance issues.

  • Realtor · Gatlinburg · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrew Steffens:
    Quote from @John Carbone:

    I have a friend here in Gatlinburg that is a fully licensed contractor. He only works on referral and I can’t give his name out. I’m keeping him busy through early February and I may be having him do something else, but depending on the job and time it will take can determine his willingness. I could mention it to him tomorrow when he comes over to work on my log siding. 

    fwiw, my friend told me the people who are primarily on marketplace are people just trying to get leads for companies. The people who end up doing the actual work are not licensed, but they use the license of someone to do the work. What ends up happening is, you pay 10k for a deck and it gets outsourced sometimes several times and the final person who does the work ends up doing it for 3k. This is very common. 



     Thanks John I appreciate it, please do.  It is some finish carpentry work for now and then would like to find someone on call to assist with maintenance issues.

     You will want to try to find someone for maintenance on marketplace or fb groups. There are a lot of people that will go out and do basic stuff like that. For actual contracting work though you don’t really want all the “handy Andy’s” on there working on 500k-1m properties. You can message me specifics on the finish work and timeframe and I’ll see what he says. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.