Hey Everyone! What is the easiest and best way to figure out if a city, neighborhood, etc. allow for short term rentals? I don't want to make a purchase without making sure its allowed.
Hey Everyone! What is the easiest and best way to figure out if a city, neighborhood, etc. allow for short term rentals? I don't want to make a purchase without making sure its allowed.
Realtor · PInellas County Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 902 posts · 810 votes
3y
You can call but they don't always give the right answer. You never want to be in a, "Betty told me it was good on the phone" situation!
Almost every city will have a code of ordinances on Municode. Google "cityname" municode and that should get you there. Then use the search for terms like transient rental, vacation rental, short term rental, etc. . .
Keep in mind that most states allow municipalities to change regulations, so also look for news about meetings and see which way the wind is blowing in that area! Thankfully Florida preempted all city and county regulation, so nobody's getting any stricter than they already are around here!
You can call but they don't always give the right answer. You never want to be in a, "Betty told me it was good on the phone" situation!
Almost every city will have a code of ordinances on Municode. Google "cityname" municode and that should get you there. Then use the search for terms like transient rental, vacation rental, short term rental, etc. . .
Keep in mind that most states allow municipalities to change regulations, so also look for news about meetings and see which way the wind is blowing in that area! Thankfully Florida preempted all city and county regulation, so nobody's getting any stricter than they already are around here!
This is SO TRUE! If you call our county code enforcement or planning division, you will likely get "STRs not zoned in ____ neighborhood", but this is WRONG WRONG WRONG!
A good local realtor will also be able to tell you if a city or neighborhood is STR-friendly. For example, I have a hand-drawn map that I apply to all client MLS searches that filter out the NON-STRable neighborhoods. But working with STR investors is ALL I do, so I know my market super well.
You didn't mention what market(s) you are looking in. Let me know if you're interested in the Emerald Coast of Florida, and I can give more insight about neighborhoods.