Hot Tub: new vs. used

Most Popular Reply

Luke CarlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
3y

I would never put my guests in a used hot tub. Needs to be nice and new! 

See this reply in the discussion

53 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2016 · 396 posts · 995 votes
    3y

     It only looks like 'underwear' because it currently has green water sitting in it.  Empty it and spend a few hours cleaning it and you won't be able to tell the difference.  

    As others have mentioned, a tub is only new for the first guest, after that its used just like all the other tubs that are being frowned upon by people here.  If the tub looks nice and is clean then that is all that matters. As long as the tub looks clean then there isn't a single tenant that is going to be able to tell the difference if the tub is 1 day old, 1 year old, or 10 years old.

    New tubs will run many thousand, or tens of thousands of dollars, while a used tub can often be picked up for free.  

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    It's funny but this is almost moot. I can count on one hand the times I have seen a nice, used, late model hot tub for sale. Like a Sundance. Can't really go wrong with that one as there will be parts for days. But still, I never see them.

    I see free ones all the time. Come and take my piece of crap away. And people do it. It is amazing.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    It's funny but this is almost moot. I can count on one hand the times I have seen a nice, used, late model hot tub for sale. Like a Sundance. Can't really go wrong with that one as there will be parts for days. But still, I never see them.

    I see free ones all the time. Come and take my piece of crap away. And people do it. It is amazing.

    Haha. That’s so true man!
  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ned J.:

    Would you rather buy a brand new car or a lightly used one in good shape?

    Do YOU want to eat the depreciation or let someone else do it?

    Are you crazy, heck-no gimme that depreciation! I got Uncle Sam all over my sh#t talking about "come on man, just a few more bucks, come on, look at all that $ you got, just a bit more". No, I want EVERY write-off I can get! 

    Your clearly NOT an investor Ned, if you were you'd know how valuable depreciation is. 
    So yes, new please. I have warranty, nifty features, can market it as new to monetize that AND get all that sweet depreciation buddy! 


  • Ryan MoyerBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Orlando Kissimmee Davenport Salt Lake City, Park City · Member since 2019 · 993 posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Ned J.:

    Would you rather buy a brand new car or a lightly used one in good shape?

    Do YOU want to eat the depreciation or let someone else do it?

    Are you crazy, heck-no gimme that depreciation! I got Uncle Sam all over my sh#t talking about "come on man, just a few more bucks, come on, look at all that $ you got, just a bit more". No, I want EVERY write-off I can get! 

    Your clearly NOT an investor Ned, if you were you'd know how valuable depreciation is. 
    So yes, new please. I have warranty, nifty features, can market it as new to monetize that AND get all that sweet depreciation buddy! 



     Actual dollars saved are still worth more than a tax writeoff that saves 35% of those dollars.

    Cosmic Vacations4.9172 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ryan Moyer:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Ned J.:

    Would you rather buy a brand new car or a lightly used one in good shape?

    Do YOU want to eat the depreciation or let someone else do it?

    Are you crazy, heck-no gimme that depreciation! I got Uncle Sam all over my sh#t talking about "come on man, just a few more bucks, come on, look at all that $ you got, just a bit more". No, I want EVERY write-off I can get! 

    Your clearly NOT an investor Ned, if you were you'd know how valuable depreciation is. 
    So yes, new please. I have warranty, nifty features, can market it as new to monetize that AND get all that sweet depreciation buddy! 



     Actual dollars saved are still worth more than a tax writeoff that saves 35% of those dollars.


     Lol, you obviously have 0 clue what your talking about. 

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kyler J Sloan:

    What is your opinion on whether it is more cost effective to buy hot tubs new as opposed to used, or vis versa? 

    I just bought a property in Phoenix AZ for VRBO that had both a pool and a hot tub. We broke up the hot tub and junked it. In taking it apart, it appears that it was brought in, in component parts and assembled on site. There was no way to move the thing as a complete hot tub except at great expense and effort. Locally, used hot tubs sell for $1,000 or free and nobody claims them
  • Investor · Maggie Valley, NC · Member since 2020 · 284 posts · 85 votes
    3y

    @Account Closed Not the case at all here. There are plenty of small businesses who do nothing other than refurbish and resell hot tubs they get on Facebook and craigslist (i.e. "Hot Tub Recyclers"). I have seen plenty of good deals slip through my fingers because I was not in town to pickup being sold almost new by owners who just decided they did not want to go through the trouble of maintaining them. If I come across such a deal, I will not hesitate. However, it has to be 2020 or newer. Regardless, as a default plan, I think it is best to buy new and resell or exchange for a new model something like 5 years down the road, once the warranties expire. You cannot count on a rare deal popping up on FB marketplace right when you need a tub. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    So let me put this out there about warranties and Rentals.  Many times they are not worth having.  Let me explain. Hot tub is a main amenity.  It’s in your listing guests expect it.  Let’s say the motor dies in 6 months under warranty.  You have a week stay booked for the following day.  Local shop can get a new motor installed same day but it’s gonna cost.  The warranty option is gonna take 3 weeks. What are you gonna do?   Pay to put the new motor in, at least that is what I would do which means my warranty didn’t help out a whole lot.  Just something to think about. 

  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    3y

    When it comes to Real Estate, getting a used property can be a great option if you are looking to save money. If the location is right and the property only a few years old and in perfect condition, it can be an even better bargain. Finding these types of properties can take some research but often the savings are worth it! It's important to inspect any used Real Estate before making a purchase to make sure it meets your needs and is in the condition you expect. Doing some research can help you find the perfect property for a great price.

  • Investor · Maggie Valley, NC · Member since 2020 · 284 posts · 85 votes
    3y

    @Jay Thomas Please tell me you are joking. Real Estate appreciates. 

    @Ken Boone Yeah, you are probably right. The main reason I am drawn to new at this point is the low likelihood of needing ANY maintenance in the first 5 years; since you got it new, you are in charge of how well maintained it is over its life cycle, and have control to sell at the optimum time so that you can re-invest that money into another new tub in need of no maintenance. 

    If you look to big corporations which depend upon depreciating assets, this is always what they do. For example, large trucking companies such as TMC buy all new equipment, but resell their inventory when they reach a certain milage (i.e. 500 K to 800 K). It is beyond that threshold that they start having issues and breakdowns. For hot tubs, that threshold is about 5 years. 

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kyler J Sloan:

    What is your opinion on whether it is more cost effective to buy hot tubs new as opposed to used, or vis versa? 


     depends on price differences. I don't see why not. Isee local hardware store selling refurbished hot tub all the time.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

     This is very nice how do you put it.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ned J.:

    Would you rather buy a brand new car or a lightly used one in good shape?

    Do YOU want to eat the depreciation or let someone else do it?

    Are you ok with it possibly needing servicing? Or do you want to pay hundreds/thousands for a warranty?

    Sure...if you buy some old beat up nasty one, your guest will be turned off.... if you buy a nicer used one, they wont even know..... its only "brand new" for the first guest

    Id buy used, but not more than 4-5 years old. 


     I am buying used if possible. The hot tub is like Corolla, they can last 300 miles ;-)

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Ned J.:

    Would you rather buy a brand new car or a lightly used one in good shape?

    Do YOU want to eat the depreciation or let someone else do it?

    Are you crazy, heck-no gimme that depreciation! I got Uncle Sam all over my sh#t talking about "come on man, just a few more bucks, come on, look at all that $ you got, just a bit more". No, I want EVERY write-off I can get! 

    Your clearly NOT an investor Ned, if you were you'd know how valuable depreciation is. 
    So yes, new please. I have warranty, nifty features, can market it as new to monetize that AND get all that sweet depreciation buddy! 



     Being an arrogant jerk as usual...shocking.....

    The depreciation on a hot tub you can recoup vs the up front cost of brand new vs used..... I'll take the used. My CPA wife would agree...
    Personally I wouldn't have either one unless its a huge "must have" for your unit.... I assume it is if its more an ArBNB vacation type area

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ned J.:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Ned J.:

    Would you rather buy a brand new car or a lightly used one in good shape?

    Do YOU want to eat the depreciation or let someone else do it?

    Are you crazy, heck-no gimme that depreciation! I got Uncle Sam all over my sh#t talking about "come on man, just a few more bucks, come on, look at all that $ you got, just a bit more". No, I want EVERY write-off I can get! 

    Your clearly NOT an investor Ned, if you were you'd know how valuable depreciation is. 
    So yes, new please. I have warranty, nifty features, can market it as new to monetize that AND get all that sweet depreciation buddy! 



     Being an arrogant jerk as usual...shocking.....

    The depreciation on a hot tub you can recoup vs the up front cost of brand new vs used..... I'll take the used. My CPA wife would agree...
    Personally I wouldn't have either one unless its a huge "must have" for your unit.... I assume it is if its more an ArBNB vacation type area


     At first I thought "wow, what's the chip on this guys shoulder where even when blatantly wrong he's freaking out when the world doesn't bend over and launch a parade for his every ignorant statements, with skin as thin as rice paper for any correction.". 

    And than I noticed your from CA. Yeah, makes sense. 

    You have fun with that, we all know how pro-taxes you all are, It's obviously the key to great cities right. 

    if you were an investor, you'd have an idea about ROI, instead of hyper focus on ONLY 1st yr, vs 7yr depreciation write-off, which with hot-tub I am told it's 5yr. It's called ROI, maybe google that. But hey, you can buy ours for $1k after we have gained the value of monetizing new AND written it off over the term.

    Your stepping over dollars to pickup pennies. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Ned J.:

    Would you rather buy a brand new car or a lightly used one in good shape?

    Do YOU want to eat the depreciation or let someone else do it?

    Are you ok with it possibly needing servicing? Or do you want to pay hundreds/thousands for a warranty?

    Sure...if you buy some old beat up nasty one, your guest will be turned off.... if you buy a nicer used one, they wont even know..... its only "brand new" for the first guest

    Id buy used, but not more than 4-5 years old. 


     I am buying used if possible. The hot tub is like Corolla, they can last 300 miles ;-)


     I disagree. I can't count the number of repairs on these after 4/4yrs of age unless it's in continuous use like in a commercial setting where use and maintenance is well monitored. Not to mention, people buy with there eyes, new = premium $. 

    I can monetize it, and get depreciation on it, so in end it costs me nothing but I get additional revenues. If that's not ROI I don't know what is.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Ned J.:

    Would you rather buy a brand new car or a lightly used one in good shape?

    Do YOU want to eat the depreciation or let someone else do it?

    Are you ok with it possibly needing servicing? Or do you want to pay hundreds/thousands for a warranty?

    Sure...if you buy some old beat up nasty one, your guest will be turned off.... if you buy a nicer used one, they wont even know..... its only "brand new" for the first guest

    Id buy used, but not more than 4-5 years old. 


     I am buying used if possible. The hot tub is like Corolla, they can last 300 miles ;-)


     I disagree. I can't count the number of repairs on these after 4/4yrs of age unless it's in continuous use like in a commercial setting where use and maintenance is well monitored. Not to mention, people buy with there eyes, new = premium $. 

    I can monetize it, and get depreciation on it, so in end it costs me nothing but I get additional revenues. If that's not ROI I don't know what is.


     LOL :) I like your answer James :)

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Ned J.:

    Would you rather buy a brand new car or a lightly used one in good shape?

    Do YOU want to eat the depreciation or let someone else do it?

    Are you ok with it possibly needing servicing? Or do you want to pay hundreds/thousands for a warranty?

    Sure...if you buy some old beat up nasty one, your guest will be turned off.... if you buy a nicer used one, they wont even know..... its only "brand new" for the first guest

    Id buy used, but not more than 4-5 years old. 


     I am buying used if possible. The hot tub is like Corolla, they can last 300 miles ;-)


     I disagree. I can't count the number of repairs on these after 4/4yrs of age unless it's in continuous use like in a commercial setting where use and maintenance is well monitored. Not to mention, people buy with there eyes, new = premium $. 

    I can monetize it, and get depreciation on it, so in end it costs me nothing but I get additional revenues. If that's not ROI I don't know what is.


     LOL :) I like your answer James :)


     I had one property with a hot-tub, and every time new tenants loved it..... for about 2/3 months. I had a chain of 12mnth tenancy on it. Every time at move-out it was same story, had used and loved it until cleaning sucked and novelty wore off so they stopped using it, drained, cleaned, did all that right. Every time at startup, dang thing leaked! We replaced so much junk on that dumb thing ever dang time. 

    And in a STR, they just gross me out, personally. I just wonder how much funk is being stewed in the thing. I'd rather have an espresso machine vs a herpes bath.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Ned J.:

    Would you rather buy a brand new car or a lightly used one in good shape?

    Do YOU want to eat the depreciation or let someone else do it?

    Are you ok with it possibly needing servicing? Or do you want to pay hundreds/thousands for a warranty?

    Sure...if you buy some old beat up nasty one, your guest will be turned off.... if you buy a nicer used one, they wont even know..... its only "brand new" for the first guest

    Id buy used, but not more than 4-5 years old. 


     I am buying used if possible. The hot tub is like Corolla, they can last 300 miles ;-)


     I disagree. I can't count the number of repairs on these after 4/4yrs of age unless it's in continuous use like in a commercial setting where use and maintenance is well monitored. Not to mention, people buy with there eyes, new = premium $. 

    I can monetize it, and get depreciation on it, so in end it costs me nothing but I get additional revenues. If that's not ROI I don't know what is.


     LOL :) I like your answer James :)


     I had one property with a hot-tub, and every time new tenants loved it..... for about 2/3 months. I had a chain of 12mnth tenancy on it. Every time at move-out it was same story, had used and loved it until cleaning sucked and novelty wore off so they stopped using it, drained, cleaned, did all that right. Every time at startup, dang thing leaked! We replaced so much junk on that dumb thing ever dang time. 

    And in a STR, they just gross me out, personally. I just wonder how much funk is being stewed in the thing. I'd rather have an espresso machine vs a herpes bath.


     I get it, but in our market they are used by just about every guest and they are drained and cleaned after every guest.  And in our market it is a must have amenity.

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    3y

    easy - new  - woth the  extra  cost and  also having a bit of  warranty too 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    Just curious of how many short term rental hot tubs, how many of you had to do repairs?  } Most of the time you can't tell how old they are when you look at them so people recommending new must have had a lot of repairs. Aside from @James Hamling saying he had leaks with 12 month tenancies (not sure how old the hot tub was) I am not hearing what people personally have had go wrong with them.  And what are the repairs costing?  A warranty repair you use their guy and if he takes 2 weeks, he takes 2 weeks. Now it should be fairly new so you can get parts but I don't see a big advantage in new. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Colleen F.:

    Just curious of how many short term rental hot tubs, how many of you had to do repairs?  } Most of the time you can't tell how old they are when you look at them so people recommending new must have had a lot of repairs. Aside from @James Hamling saying he had leaks with 12 month tenancies (not sure how old the hot tub was) I am not hearing what people personally have had go wrong with them.  And what are the repairs costing?  A warranty repair you use their guy and if he takes 2 weeks, he takes 2 weeks. Now it should be fairly new so you can get parts but I don't see a big advantage in new. 


     The main panel goes out. It’s like $150 to replace.  Pumps motor dies.  Several hundred.  Leaks might occur. Repair sub $100.   Heating element needs to be replaced.  Sub $100. That is what is typical and it happens every now and then. I mean a hot tub is nothing but a shell a pump a heater and pipes.  That’s it. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Colleen F.:

    Just curious of how many short term rental hot tubs, how many of you had to do repairs?  } Most of the time you can't tell how old they are when you look at them so people recommending new must have had a lot of repairs. Aside from @James Hamling saying he had leaks with 12 month tenancies (not sure how old the hot tub was) I am not hearing what people personally have had go wrong with them.  And what are the repairs costing?  A warranty repair you use their guy and if he takes 2 weeks, he takes 2 weeks. Now it should be fairly new so you can get parts but I don't see a big advantage in new. 

     I have never had a warranty repair, not a 1 ever. My experience, they wait until 10 minutes after warranty expires and than everything goes kaput, lol. 

    Seals and pumps, lots and lots of the both. And sometimes other repairs from seals and pump leaks not getting caught earlier and than making carpentry repairs for area. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ken Boone:
    Quote from @Colleen F.:

    Just curious of how many short term rental hot tubs, how many of you had to do repairs?  } Most of the time you can't tell how old they are when you look at them so people recommending new must have had a lot of repairs. Aside from @James Hamling saying he had leaks with 12 month tenancies (not sure how old the hot tub was) I am not hearing what people personally have had go wrong with them.  And what are the repairs costing?  A warranty repair you use their guy and if he takes 2 weeks, he takes 2 weeks. Now it should be fairly new so you can get parts but I don't see a big advantage in new. 


     The main panel goes out. It’s like $150 to replace.  Pumps motor dies.  Several hundred.  Leaks might occur. Repair sub $100.   Heating element needs to be replaced.  Sub $100. That is what is typical and it happens every now and then. I mean a hot tub is nothing but a shell a pump a heater and pipes.  That’s it. 


     You gotta be kidding on those prices, that's doing it yourself right? 

    In MN, a trip charge alone starts at $150+. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.