Beaverton, OR · Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 34 votes
Hi guys,
Looking to setup one of my an STR and was only planning to set up a TV in the living room and master room. Its a 5 bedroom home, was curious to see if NOT having TV's in every room is a deal breaker? The tv's I was leaning towards is the TCL with built in ROKU which are pretty budget friendly. Just trying to see what are must haves. Or if having a TV in every room is too much ?
Investor · Member since 2022 · 106 posts · 67 votes
3y
Is the plan for it to be a couple night Vacation stay in the whole house? Or are you renting each room out to traveling workers\etc? That could could be a major factor.
I'm a property manager at a 100 unit apartment community and we have about 15 STR units. They're all 2 bedrooms but all the host have gone for one in each bedroom and in the living room of course. It's such a small expense these days, I would personally buy the extra 3 TVs.
Looking to setup one of my an STR and was only planning to set up a TV in the living room and master room. Its a 5 bedroom home, was curious to see if NOT having TV's in every room is a deal breaker? The tv's I was leaning towards is the TCL with built in ROKU which are pretty budget friendly. Just trying to see what are must haves. Or if having a TV in every room is too much ?
You raise the same question I've had. I'm setting up a 5 bed 3 bath with pool & pool table in Phoenix, next to Scottsdale at the base of a mountain in the desert. Nightly rate will be in the $400 to $500 range.
I make the assumption people would rather be in the pool, golf, hike the nearby mountain trails, eat at the fine restaurants, go to the museums, go to Old Town, visit the real "old west" desert and so on. Someone suggested TVs were good for when it rains so the kids can watch TV. I'm in Phoenix. People come here to get out of the rain. ;-) Also, I'm told that people can watch TV on their phones if they really have to have a "fix"
Since I haven't owned a TV for, oh 30 years, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. But, if they want an extra TV, I'll drive out and get one for them while they are there. Keep in mind, there is already a large new TV in the family room and an extra sittnig around for a bedroom already.
I settled on having a nice large screen TV in the family room off of the kitchen and a "roving TV" in storage that can be put into a bedroom in the rare event someone wanted to spend $400 a night to watch TV in their bedroom.
When we stayed in VRBOs in Rosemary Beach FL and in Charleston
SC there were no TVs at all. Imagine that. Beach properties and no TV. Whatever would we have done if the beach disappeared and we were bored?
Beaverton, OR · Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 34 votes
3y
@Account Closed
Yea I agree, when I was first setting thing all up, I would assume a tv in the living room and master room is good enough. But looking in forums people have mentioned that they like to watch tv at the end of their day to unwind before bed. Which I can understand. Plus side is at least tvs these days are not as expensive as they used to be so it is affordable to have them. I have seen people complain about not having enough tvs in the home but have yet to see someone complain about having too many tvs? Still new to this all and trying to make sure I start off on the right foot going into my first str. I'm in oregon so it does get rainy in the winter seasons so that could be one reason for getting it or if the house is booked by 4-5 couples vacationing together who just want to go to their own rooms end of the night and watch a show.
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
3y
So our 6 bedroom cabin has 9 TV's.
Our Lake House has one smart TV in the main room. I want people to come together and not hide in their room watching TV. We advertise we have the one TV. We have over 150 5-star reviews and zero complaints.
Real Estate Agent/Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
TV's are dirt cheap these days. If you're asking me to pay $200+ per night and there weren't TV's in every room, I'd look elsewhere. In most cases, you can get away with a 42-inch or something along that size and they'll be less than $200.
Don't step over dollars trying to pick up pennies.
Looking to setup one of my an STR and was only planning to set up a TV in the living room and master room. Its a 5 bedroom home, was curious to see if NOT having TV's in every room is a deal breaker? The tv's I was leaning towards is the TCL with built in ROKU which are pretty budget friendly. Just trying to see what are must haves. Or if having a TV in every room is too much ?
You raise the same question I've had. I'm setting up a 5 bed 3 bath with pool & pool table in Phoenix, next to Scottsdale at the base of a mountain in the desert. Nightly rate will be in the $400 to $500 range.
I make the assumption people would rather be in the pool, golf, hike the nearby mountain trails, eat at the fine restaurants, go to the museums, go to Old Town, visit the real "old west" desert and so on. Someone suggested TVs were good for when it rains so the kids can watch TV. I'm in Phoenix. People come here to get out of the rain. ;-) Also, I'm told that people can watch TV on their phones if they really have to have a "fix"
Since I haven't owned a TV for, oh 30 years, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. But, if they want an extra TV, I'll drive out and get one for them while they are there. Keep in mind, there is already a large new TV in the family room and an extra sittnig around for a bedroom already.
I settled on having a nice large screen TV in the family room off of the kitchen and a "roving TV" in storage that can be put into a bedroom in the rare event someone wanted to spend $400 a night to watch TV in their bedroom.
When we stayed in VRBOs in Rosemary Beach FL and in Charleston
SC there were no TVs at all. Imagine that. Beach properties and no TV. Whatever would we have done if the beach disappeared and we were bored?
not everyone wants to watch the same thing. also, some people might want to watch some TV as they try to sleep. TV's are so cheap now, its not a major investment. We have a 3 bed townhome by the beach. most time would be spent at the pool and beach, but we still put a TV in each bedroom.
Also, very few people want to watch TV on a 4x6 inch screen for their "fix"
Our Lake House has one smart TV in the main room. I want people to come together and not hide in their room watching TV. We advertise we have the one TV. We have over 150 5-star reviews and zero complaints.
i would just say, for rentals its not what YOU want, its what the renters want. though you did set expectations with your advertisement/description.
Real Estate Agent · Boulder, CO · Member since 2015 · 284 posts · 226 votes
3y
@Irvin Nguyen I just set up a 4 bdrm MTR and decided to just do a TV in the living room. We are using the hybrid approach and will fill gaps with STR. Of course our 2nd freaking inquiry asked if we had TVs in the bedrooms and we didn't and lost that booking. Annoying.
So I'd at least put one in the master and/or kids room. We have a fire pit, game room and still they wanted more TVs. I don't watch TV much so hard to imagine but we are serving people from all over so the culture is different.
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
TV's are so cheap (bedroom Roku TVs can be found at Walmart for $100 32 inch) that you would be silly not to do it. Some people (especially with kids) will only rent if you have them, so missing them will lead to a loss of money not a savings.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
3y
I only have them in the living rooms. I find that people (at least at my places) tend to spend most of their time out exploring/hiking/dining/etc. When they return 'home', they sleep. The kitchens are not even used very often......
Yea I agree, when I was first setting thing all up, I would assume a tv in the living room and master room is good enough. But looking in forums people have mentioned that they like to watch tv at the end of their day to unwind before bed. Which I can understand. Plus side is at least tvs these days are not as expensive as they used to be so it is affordable to have them. I have seen people complain about not having enough tvs in the home but have yet to see someone complain about having too many tvs? Still new to this all and trying to make sure I start off on the right foot going into my first str. I'm in oregon so it does get rainy in the winter seasons so that could be one reason for getting it or if the house is booked by 4-5 couples vacationing together who just want to go to their own rooms end of the night and watch a show.
Looking to setup one of my an STR and was only planning to set up a TV in the living room and master room. Its a 5 bedroom home, was curious to see if NOT having TV's in every room is a deal breaker? The tv's I was leaning towards is the TCL with built in ROKU which are pretty budget friendly. Just trying to see what are must haves. Or if having a TV in every room is too much ?
Looking to setup one of my an STR and was only planning to set up a TV in the living room and master room. Its a 5 bedroom home, was curious to see if NOT having TV's in every room is a deal breaker? The tv's I was leaning towards is the TCL with built in ROKU which are pretty budget friendly. Just trying to see what are must haves. Or if having a TV in every room is too much ?
My TV's have no cameras so I don't care if someone wants to know what I'm watching. I'm not paranoid about this stuff. I don't care if Alexa is listening either. I'm not doing anything illegal so no concerns.
I only have them in the living rooms. I find that people (at least at my places) tend to spend most of their time out exploring/hiking/dining/etc. When they return 'home', they sleep. The kitchens are not even used very often......
I rarely watch TV when I'm on vacation. I am out doing. So I agree with you.
I only have them in the living rooms. I find that people (at least at my places) tend to spend most of their time out exploring/hiking/dining/etc. When they return 'home', they sleep. The kitchens are not even used very often......
I rarely watch TV when I'm on vacation. I am out doing. So I agree with you.
Quote from @Trent Reeve:
Ah, but your renters may not feel the same and they have a right to privacy. In fact, I would bet if STR hosts don't inform their guests that the TV is watching them, they are in violation of privacy laws. It'll be an interesting case to follow when lawsuits start.
That could be a marketing tool. "Our TVs don't watch you in the bedroom the way other STRs do, because we don't put TVs in the bedrooms". ;-)
Looking to setup one of my an STR and was only planning to set up a TV in the living room and master room. Its a 5 bedroom home, was curious to see if NOT having TV's in every room is a deal breaker? The tv's I was leaning towards is the TCL with built in ROKU which are pretty budget friendly. Just trying to see what are must haves. Or if having a TV in every room is too much ?
My day job is IT security. nothing in there is new or surprising. All your data is already out there. You can configure to block a lot of stuff, and some extras to lock it down further.
I only have them in the living rooms. I find that people (at least at my places) tend to spend most of their time out exploring/hiking/dining/etc. When they return 'home', they sleep. The kitchens are not even used very often......
I rarely watch TV when I'm on vacation. I am out doing. So I agree with you.
Quote from @Trent Reeve:
Ah, but your renters may not feel the same and they have a right to privacy. In fact, I would bet if STR hosts don't inform their guests that the TV is watching them, they are in violation of privacy laws. It'll be an interesting case to follow when lawsuits start.
That could be a marketing tool. "Our TVs don't watch you in the bedroom the way other STRs do, because we don't put TVs in the bedrooms". ;-)
well, 1, my tv's dont have cameras. so the most that could be done could be reviewing data of what you watch. that data is already being sold. also, if you are that worried, dont use a smart phone, the carriers watch and sell that data. oh, and dont use the internet at home, that data is collected and sold too. you can drop way down a rabbit hole regarding this. and if i remember right, there isnt a privacy law. there is a privacy act of 1974, but technology didnt exist like it does now. so dont expect those lawsuits from TV's to happen anytime soon
I only have them in the living rooms. I find that people (at least at my places) tend to spend most of their time out exploring/hiking/dining/etc. When they return 'home', they sleep. The kitchens are not even used very often......
I rarely watch TV when I'm on vacation. I am out doing. So I agree with you.
Quote from @Trent Reeve:
Ah, but your renters may not feel the same and they have a right to privacy. In fact, I would bet if STR hosts don't inform their guests that the TV is watching them, they are in violation of privacy laws. It'll be an interesting case to follow when lawsuits start.
That could be a marketing tool. "Our TVs don't watch you in the bedroom the way other STRs do, because we don't put TVs in the bedrooms". ;-)
I only have them in the living rooms. I find that people (at least at my places) tend to spend most of their time out exploring/hiking/dining/etc. When they return 'home', they sleep. The kitchens are not even used very often......
I rarely watch TV when I'm on vacation. I am out doing. So I agree with you.
Quote from @Trent Reeve:
Ah, but your renters may not feel the same and they have a right to privacy. In fact, I would bet if STR hosts don't inform their guests that the TV is watching them, they are in violation of privacy laws. It'll be an interesting case to follow when lawsuits start.
That could be a marketing tool. "Our TVs don't watch you in the bedroom the way other STRs do, because we don't put TVs in the bedrooms". ;-)
well, 1, my tv's dont have cameras. so the most that could be done could be reviewing data of what you watch. that data is already being sold. also, if you are that worried, dont use a smart phone, the carriers watch and sell that data. oh, and dont use the internet at home, that data is collected and sold too. you can drop way down a rabbit hole regarding this. and if i remember right, there isnt a privacy law. there is a privacy act of 1974, but technology didnt exist like it does now. so dont expect those lawsuits from TV's to happen anytime soon
Don't forget your car is tracking everywhere you go too.
Luckily I'm not doing anything illegal so they will get bored with me pretty quickly.