Tvs in every room?

Tvs in every room?

Beaverton, OR · Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 34 votes

Hi guys,

Looking to setup one of my an STR and was only planning to set up a TV in the living room and master room. Its a 5 bedroom home, was curious to see if NOT having TV's in every room is a deal breaker? The tv's I was leaning towards is the TCL with built in ROKU which are pretty budget friendly. Just trying to see what are must haves. Or if having a TV in every room is too much ?

0Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

I put a tcl Roku tv in every room. They are cheap and gives guests options while they are staying.  You don’t have to but I do and would recommend it. 

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Trent Reeve:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    I only have them in the living rooms. I find that people (at least at my places) tend to spend most of their time out exploring/hiking/dining/etc. When they return 'home', they sleep. The kitchens are not even used very often......



     I rarely watch TV when I'm on vacation. I am out doing. So I agree with you.

    Quote from @Trent Reeve:

    Ah, but your renters may not feel the same and they have a right to privacy. In fact, I would bet if STR hosts don't inform their guests that the TV is watching them, they are in violation of privacy laws. It'll be an interesting case to follow when lawsuits start.

    That could be a marketing tool. "Our TVs don't watch you in the bedroom the way other STRs do, because we don't put TVs in the bedrooms". ;-)


     well, 1, my tv's dont have cameras. so the most that could be done could be reviewing data of what you watch. that data is already being sold. also, if you are that worried, dont use a smart phone, the carriers watch and sell that data. oh, and dont use the internet at home, that data is collected and sold too. you can drop way down a rabbit hole regarding this. and if i remember right, there isnt a privacy law. there is a privacy act of 1974, but technology didnt exist like it does now. so dont expect those lawsuits from TV's to happen anytime soon

    I'm not sure you read what I wrote.
    I said "Ah, but your renters may not feel the same and they have a right to privacy. "


  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Trent Reeve:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    I only have them in the living rooms. I find that people (at least at my places) tend to spend most of their time out exploring/hiking/dining/etc. When they return 'home', they sleep. The kitchens are not even used very often......



     I rarely watch TV when I'm on vacation. I am out doing. So I agree with you.

    Quote from @Trent Reeve:

    Ah, but your renters may not feel the same and they have a right to privacy. In fact, I would bet if STR hosts don't inform their guests that the TV is watching them, they are in violation of privacy laws. It'll be an interesting case to follow when lawsuits start.

    That could be a marketing tool. "Our TVs don't watch you in the bedroom the way other STRs do, because we don't put TVs in the bedrooms". ;-)


     well, 1, my tv's dont have cameras. so the most that could be done could be reviewing data of what you watch. that data is already being sold. also, if you are that worried, dont use a smart phone, the carriers watch and sell that data. oh, and dont use the internet at home, that data is collected and sold too. you can drop way down a rabbit hole regarding this. and if i remember right, there isnt a privacy law. there is a privacy act of 1974, but technology didnt exist like it does now. so dont expect those lawsuits from TV's to happen anytime soon


     Don't forget your car is tracking everywhere you go too. 

    Luckily I'm not doing anything illegal so they will get bored with me pretty quickly.

    I'm not sure you read what I wrote.

    I said "Ah, but your renters may not feel the same and they have a right to privacy. "
  • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 710 posts · 640 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Trent Reeve:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    I only have them in the living rooms. I find that people (at least at my places) tend to spend most of their time out exploring/hiking/dining/etc. When they return 'home', they sleep. The kitchens are not even used very often......



     I rarely watch TV when I'm on vacation. I am out doing. So I agree with you.

    Quote from @Trent Reeve:

    Ah, but your renters may not feel the same and they have a right to privacy. In fact, I would bet if STR hosts don't inform their guests that the TV is watching them, they are in violation of privacy laws. It'll be an interesting case to follow when lawsuits start.

    That could be a marketing tool. "Our TVs don't watch you in the bedroom the way other STRs do, because we don't put TVs in the bedrooms". ;-)


     well, 1, my tv's dont have cameras. so the most that could be done could be reviewing data of what you watch. that data is already being sold. also, if you are that worried, dont use a smart phone, the carriers watch and sell that data. oh, and dont use the internet at home, that data is collected and sold too. you can drop way down a rabbit hole regarding this. and if i remember right, there isnt a privacy law. there is a privacy act of 1974, but technology didnt exist like it does now. so dont expect those lawsuits from TV's to happen anytime soon

    I'm not sure you read what I wrote.
    I said "Ah, but your renters may not feel the same and they have a right to privacy. "



    i also read where you said "i would bet if STR hosts dont inform their guests that their TV is watching them, they are in violation of privacy laws" but as i mentioned, there are not any "privacy laws". so which contradiction am i supposed to monitor?

    to each their own, i have smart TV's in every room and will keep them there.

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Trent Reeve:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Trent Reeve:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    I only have them in the living rooms. I find that people (at least at my places) tend to spend most of their time out exploring/hiking/dining/etc. When they return 'home', they sleep. The kitchens are not even used very often......



     I rarely watch TV when I'm on vacation. I am out doing. So I agree with you.

    Quote from @Trent Reeve:

    Ah, but your renters may not feel the same and they have a right to privacy. In fact, I would bet if STR hosts don't inform their guests that the TV is watching them, they are in violation of privacy laws. It'll be an interesting case to follow when lawsuits start.

    That could be a marketing tool. "Our TVs don't watch you in the bedroom the way other STRs do, because we don't put TVs in the bedrooms". ;-)


     well, 1, my tv's dont have cameras. so the most that could be done could be reviewing data of what you watch. that data is already being sold. also, if you are that worried, dont use a smart phone, the carriers watch and sell that data. oh, and dont use the internet at home, that data is collected and sold too. you can drop way down a rabbit hole regarding this. and if i remember right, there isnt a privacy law. there is a privacy act of 1974, but technology didnt exist like it does now. so dont expect those lawsuits from TV's to happen anytime soon

    I'm not sure you read what I wrote.
    I said "Ah, but your renters may not feel the same and they have a right to privacy. "



    i also read where you said "i would bet if STR hosts dont inform their guests that their TV is watching them, they are in violation of privacy laws" but as i mentioned, there are not any "privacy laws". so which contradiction am i supposed to monitor?

    to each their own, i have smart TV's in every room and will keep them there.

    No worries, ;-) Guess you haven't heard: What if you watch a show or movie that is "out of line" with current policies, whatever they may be now or in the future?

    Coming soon: America’s own social credit system

    https://thehill.com/opinion/fi...

    The new domestic “War on Terror,” kicked off by the riot on Jan. 6, has prompted several web giants to unveil predecessors to what effectively could become a soft social credit system by the end of this decade. Relying on an indirect hand from D.C., our social betters in corporate America will attempt to force the most profound changes our society has seen during the internet era.

    China’s social credit system is a combination of government and business surveillance that gives citizens a “score” that can restrict the ability of individuals to take actions — such as purchasing plane tickets, acquiring property or taking loans — because of behaviors. Given the position of several major American companies, a similar system may be coming here sooner than you think.

    Last week, PayPal announced a partnership with the left-wing Southern Poverty Law Center to “investigate” the role of “white supremacists” and propagators of “anti-government” rhetoric, subjective labels that potentially could impact a large number of groups or people using their service. PayPal says the collected information will be shared with other financial firms and politicians. Facebook is taking similar measures, recently introducing messages that ask users to snitch on their potentially “extremist” friends, which considering the platform’s bias seems mainly to target the political right. At the same time, Facebook and Microsoft are working with several other web giants and the United Nations on a database to block potential extremist content.

    The actions of these major companies may seem logical in an internet riddled with scams and crime. After all, nobody will defend far-right militias or white supremacist groups using these platforms for their odious goals. 

    However, the same issue with government censorship exists with corporate censorship: If there is a line, who draws it?


    The potential scope of the soft social credit system under construction is enormous. The same companies that can track your activities and give you corporate rewards for compliant behavior could utilize their powers to block transactions, add surcharges or restrict your use of products.




  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Trent Reeve:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    I only have them in the living rooms. I find that people (at least at my places) tend to spend most of their time out exploring/hiking/dining/etc. When they return 'home', they sleep. The kitchens are not even used very often......



     I rarely watch TV when I'm on vacation. I am out doing. So I agree with you.

    Quote from @Trent Reeve:

    Ah, but your renters may not feel the same and they have a right to privacy. In fact, I would bet if STR hosts don't inform their guests that the TV is watching them, they are in violation of privacy laws. It'll be an interesting case to follow when lawsuits start.

    That could be a marketing tool. "Our TVs don't watch you in the bedroom the way other STRs do, because we don't put TVs in the bedrooms". ;-)


     well, 1, my tv's dont have cameras. so the most that could be done could be reviewing data of what you watch. that data is already being sold. also, if you are that worried, dont use a smart phone, the carriers watch and sell that data. oh, and dont use the internet at home, that data is collected and sold too. you can drop way down a rabbit hole regarding this. and if i remember right, there isnt a privacy law. there is a privacy act of 1974, but technology didnt exist like it does now. so dont expect those lawsuits from TV's to happen anytime soon


     Don't forget your car is tracking everywhere you go too. 

    Luckily I'm not doing anything illegal so they will get bored with me pretty quickly.

    I'm not sure you read what I wrote.

    I said "Ah, but your renters may not feel the same and they have a right to privacy. "
    Yes I read it.
    No cameras, they have plenty of privacy.
    I'm not a nut that is going remove all the TV'S  because big brother or China is spying on my guests. I have real things to deal with.



  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Trent Reeve:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    I only have them in the living rooms. I find that people (at least at my places) tend to spend most of their time out exploring/hiking/dining/etc. When they return 'home', they sleep. The kitchens are not even used very often......



     I rarely watch TV when I'm on vacation. I am out doing. So I agree with you.

    Quote from @Trent Reeve:

    Ah, but your renters may not feel the same and they have a right to privacy. In fact, I would bet if STR hosts don't inform their guests that the TV is watching them, they are in violation of privacy laws. It'll be an interesting case to follow when lawsuits start.

    That could be a marketing tool. "Our TVs don't watch you in the bedroom the way other STRs do, because we don't put TVs in the bedrooms". ;-)


     well, 1, my tv's dont have cameras. so the most that could be done could be reviewing data of what you watch. that data is already being sold. also, if you are that worried, dont use a smart phone, the carriers watch and sell that data. oh, and dont use the internet at home, that data is collected and sold too. you can drop way down a rabbit hole regarding this. and if i remember right, there isnt a privacy law. there is a privacy act of 1974, but technology didnt exist like it does now. so dont expect those lawsuits from TV's to happen anytime soon


     Don't forget your car is tracking everywhere you go too. 

    Luckily I'm not doing anything illegal so they will get bored with me pretty quickly.

    I'm not sure you read what I wrote.

    I said "Ah, but your renters may not feel the same and they have a right to privacy. "
    Yes I read it.
    No cameras, they have plenty of privacy.
    I'm not a nut that is going remove all the TV'S  because big brother or China is spying on my guests. I have real things to deal with.

    Yes, that would be extreme. You could place a Notice on the TV that says:

    "NOTICE: If You Are Uncomfortable Having the TV - that is, The Chinese, Hackers, Us or Big Brother Watch you, Please Feel Free To Unplug the Darn Thing."

    (Just having fun with the idea ;-)

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Trent Reeve:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    I only have them in the living rooms. I find that people (at least at my places) tend to spend most of their time out exploring/hiking/dining/etc. When they return 'home', they sleep. The kitchens are not even used very often......



     I rarely watch TV when I'm on vacation. I am out doing. So I agree with you.

    Quote from @Trent Reeve:

    Ah, but your renters may not feel the same and they have a right to privacy. In fact, I would bet if STR hosts don't inform their guests that the TV is watching them, they are in violation of privacy laws. It'll be an interesting case to follow when lawsuits start.

    That could be a marketing tool. "Our TVs don't watch you in the bedroom the way other STRs do, because we don't put TVs in the bedrooms". ;-)


     well, 1, my tv's dont have cameras. so the most that could be done could be reviewing data of what you watch. that data is already being sold. also, if you are that worried, dont use a smart phone, the carriers watch and sell that data. oh, and dont use the internet at home, that data is collected and sold too. you can drop way down a rabbit hole regarding this. and if i remember right, there isnt a privacy law. there is a privacy act of 1974, but technology didnt exist like it does now. so dont expect those lawsuits from TV's to happen anytime soon


     Don't forget your car is tracking everywhere you go too. 

    Luckily I'm not doing anything illegal so they will get bored with me pretty quickly.

    I'm not sure you read what I wrote.

    I said "Ah, but your renters may not feel the same and they have a right to privacy. "
    Yes I read it.
    No cameras, they have plenty of privacy.
    I'm not a nut that is going remove all the TV'S  because big brother or China is spying on my guests. I have real things to deal with.

    Yes, that would be extreme. You could place a Notice on the TV that says:

    "NOTICE: If You Are Uncomfortable Having the TV - that is, The Chinese, Hackers, Us or Big Brother Watch you, Please Feel Free To Unplug the Darn Thing."

    (Just having fun with the idea ;-)


     Yep! :)

  • Property Manager · Rogers, AR · Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    @Irvin Nguyen

    Definitely!

    Traveling can be exhausting. Especially if you are traveling with folks outside your household. Having a tv in the bedroom is a great opportunity for your guests to recharge with a little alone time.

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 708 votes
    3y

    Personally, I don't need ANY TVs when I'm on vacation, but as others have said, they are so inexpensive that you might as well provide them for those who need their TV fix.  Unlikely that you will get a negative review for having too many TVs

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    We have a main TV, one in the master and one in the kids bunkroom. Roku TV's by TCL (the main is an Insignia). All have been great!

    The bottom line is if there is a TV there, they can use it or not. Better to have it and not need it vs need it and not have it.

    Regarding the spying. Any smart TV collects data about what you are watching and the like so they can send targeted ads. Just like what they do on your browser.

    There are ways to stop TVs from collecting that data. Here is a bit of info and a guide on how to limit your smart TV's spying abilities.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...

  • Real Estate Agent · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 201 votes
    3y

    @Irvin Nguyen I have 3 STRs in Old Colorado City in Colorado Springs. I only have TVs in the living area (not bedrooms) and have only gotten one comment in five years that wasn’t even really negative. I have Roku TVs and also provide an antenna for local stations. Just my experience. If I started getting feedback in the reviews that it was an issue then I’d certainly add them!

  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    3y

    When considering the plan for your Vacation stay, it's important to take into account how you'll be using the whole house. Will you be renting out each room individually or keeping it as a couple night stay? Real Estate professionals can help provide valuable insight and advice in this area. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide what works best for your particular situation. With careful consideration and research, you can make an informed decision that will fit your needs while also taking into account all of the relevant factors. Good luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    Yes.  Every bedroom.

  • Rental Property Investor · Grove City, OH · Member since 2018 · 93 posts · 71 votes
    3y

    In my experience, guests have asked for TVs in the bedroom many times BUT I dont put them in there.. for a few reasons.

    1. Its a rural area, and the internet connection isnt strong so an additional TV will strain the wireless strength.

    2. Looks tacky in my opinion. 

    3. I already have tvs in the living room. If you need tv to sleep, sleep out there.

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 593 posts · 664 votes
    3y

    We've got some airbnbs in Urbana OH and Columbus OH. This is a request I've seen come through a couple times. Also just bedrooms and living room, just to clean that up! I don't think it's the end of the world but just something the guests have suggested 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.