Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
Family sues Airbnb after 19-month-old daughter dies from fentanyl overdose while taking a nap at Miami rental - after previous tenants held cocaine-fueled party
Lydie and Boris Lavenir, of Guadeloupe - a French island - never imagined they would lay their 19-month-old daughter Enora down for a nap and not have her wake up.
Prior to her nap, the little girl was playing in the kitchen with the pots and pans before her parents laid her down for a two-hour nap.
Unfortunately for the family, when Lydie went to wake up Enora, she found her daughter foaming at the mouth and blue in the face inside their rented Wellington, Florida, lake house in August 2021.
'Enora’s dead,' the frantic mother screamed, according to the Washington Post.
The family of seven rushed to call 911, but it was too late for little Enora, whose death has since been ruled an accidental overdose of fentanyl.
The only thing investigators and the family knows for sure: The drug came from inside the Airbnb.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
3y
@Scott Mac Actually the party discussed in the article was several weeks before and was cited because neighbors told investigators about it. There was not even any mention of arrests and I didn't even see police called., although the story could have been incomplete.
No way to know who rented in between. I doubt the mother OR the father could have watched the kid well enough to avoid this but maybe if they saw they could have have intervened quicker and she might have lived. Would have, could have, should have, it only takes a minute and it can happen to any of us. It used to be pools and traffic, now it's drugs too.
Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 153 posts · 104 votes
3y
Two somewhat relevant thoughts.
Is there any reason to think that this couldn't happen in a hotel room? A hotel room has a smaller footprint so it's easier to clean but I would think the same risks apply. That being said, they are often designed to prevent things from rolling under the bed and with easy to clean surfaces. There might be some things to learn here from the Hotel industry.
This also makes me think about guns being left behind by guests. I've heard several stories from other hosts and my cleaners about finding guns. Thankfully I haven't heard any stories about the next guest finding a gun but I could see it happening. It's a lot for cleaners to check every drawer and hiding space a gun could be. Reducing drawers in furniture and having no-gun policies might be wise for a host.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
3y
@Nathan W. Texans leaving their guns behind? Thought they were glued on. You have to know your area and guest type. THose I assume though are legal, I expect you need special policies for guns in your aggreement in some regions especially if you have say a hunting cabin etc. My area I just say no guns because it is so difficult to have a legal one in RI/MA.
They admitted it was a cocaine party. They didn't admit to using fentanyl. If they brought the fentanyl to the house, then yes, they are to blame. But the investigation did not find any fentanyl in the house. Who is to say that the baby did not pick it up while traveling (on her clothes ect.)? If the baby died of a cocaine OD, then absolutely. But since they can't pinpoint where she got or came into contact with the fentanyl, I don't think automatically blaming people who brought other drugs into the house is appropriate.
It takes about 1-5 minutes for fentanyl to kill a child and it takes only a small amount.
I was trying to research how long it took to take effect. I thought it was pretty quick. I remember a case where a cop inadvertently came in contact with it and almose died instantly. That being the case, wouldn't the baby be affected by it well before going to sleep? And why would the prvious guest admit to having a cocaine fueled party? Something doesn't seem right about this whole story.