420 Friendly Vacation Rentals

420 Friendly Vacation Rentals

Michael K GallagherBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

In the spirit of the Holiday today I've always been curious if there are any operators of short term or vacation rentals that are specifically or intentionally serving the 420 community?  Obviously there are many states with vacation destinations that have also passed cannabis legalization, interested to hear if anyone is marketing themselves as a "420 friendly" rental?  In my mind there would be an interesting niche here especially if the host provided essentials like glob mops, iso, trays, papers, etc.  

5Reply
100 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y

Marketing your home as '420 friendly' would do more harm than good.

Somebody who is visiting an area where recreational cannabis use is legal is going to use cannabis in your rental whether you advertise it that way or not.

But by putting that language in the description, you are going to "scare away" some tenants who aren't interested in partaking, or who still associate the medicine with a negative connotation.

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael K GallagherBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Thanks everyone for the input! really interesting perspectives. First off let me say I am not personally an STR operator, this was purely a thought experiment.

    I was more interested in if there is anyone out there currently doing it, which it sounds like there is not, at least here on BP which is totally fine (shout out the folks that aren't advertising but are cool with it!!)...However, considering Canna-Tourism is a $17Billion industry, I find it hard to believe you couldn't be successful if you put some intent behind it.  

    I came to the thought through the "red room cabins" that blew up on tik tok, and the theory that niches make riches.  I for sure agree that advertising "420 friendly" would drive away families and none smokers, but isn't that the idea of having an intentional avatar and customer in mind?  If you are serving your market and customer with intent and hospitality I'd think you could charge a premium over a standard rental.

    I'm going to be curious if any large legacy Cannabis companies like Cookies (who just closed a massive series A funding round in April), Jungle boys, The Dopest, etc wouldn't go down the same road as Brew Dog did with there "dog house" concept here in central OH. They have a hotel attached to their North American headquarters that looks out over the production floor, and every room as a tap/shower beer fridge.

  • Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael K Gallagher:

    Thanks everyone for the input! really interesting perspectives. First off let me say I am not personally an STR operator, this was purely a thought experiment.

    I was more interested in if there is anyone out there currently doing it, which it sounds like there is not, at least here on BP which is totally fine (shout out the folks that aren't advertising but are cool with it!!)...However, considering Canna-Tourism is a $17Billion industry, I find it hard to believe you couldn't be successful if you put some intent behind it.  

    I came to the thought through the "red room cabins" that blew up on tik tok, and the theory that niches make riches.  I for sure agree that advertising "420 friendly" would drive away families and none smokers, but isn't that the idea of having an intentional avatar and customer in mind?  If you are serving your market and customer with intent and hospitality I'd think you could charge a premium over a standard rental.

    I'm going to be curious if any large legacy Cannabis companies like Cookies (who just closed a massive series A funding round in April), Jungle boys, The Dopest, etc wouldn't go down the same road as Brew Dog did with there "dog house" concept here in central OH. They have a hotel attached to their North American headquarters that looks out over the production floor, and every room as a tap/shower beer fridge.

    The idea of having an intentional avatar and customer in mind is critical to almost any business, but supply and demand is just as critical.

    In my mind, when you are a STR host your avatar and customer is: Somebody traveling to the region where you own a home, who is looking for short term accommodations, who prefers staying in a house over a hotel.

    If you 'niche down' further than that, I think you're just weeding out potential customers (pun intended lol)

  • Thomas NordbergPro Member
    Realtor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 17 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Joel Case:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Joel Case:
    Quote from @Steve Ehrman:

    @Joel Case. https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/ct-lab-confirms-marijuana-laced-with-fentanyl-is-a-new-public-safety-threat/2658007/


    Same type of article linked above with another article showing that only one confirmed case of lab testing cannabis laced with fentanyl. You can't debate if you won't read, but even if it were true it's a one in a million occurrence. Definitely not a norm or a tendency.

    Okay then, I'll tell the recovering drug dealer I tried to help, that he is wrong  and that he wasn't really smoking weed with fentanyl in it . . . when he gets back out of jail for weed and fentanyl possession and distribution.

     Ok, we will add him to your numbers but it still would make it 1 in 1,000,000 AT BEST. 


     If anything, concerns about laced cannabis seem to be an argument for legalizing it for recreational use (Although noted, legal and "Not enforcing federal statutes" is a grey area for a business). Legal and regulated shops promote the very specific ingredients in their products with much more oversight than users can get in "illegal" states. 

  • Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2017 · 304 posts · 347 votes
    3y

    People!  This is why when you legalize and regulate you eliminate the risk of additives like fentanyl. In Colorado cannabis is highly regulated so the state knows exactly who the registered growers and dispensers selling/buying are. They have skus from seed to harvest that follows the product through to the sale. When you buy through a legal dispensary you know exactly what you are getting. 

    Side note: I realize this topic has gotten away from us a bit.  I don't want to debate the reasons for or opposed to legalization.  But if you do just a small amount of research, you'll learn the federal government owns the patent to use cannabis for medical uses but denies those same uses for federal legalization. SMH.
    https://www.denverpost.com/201...

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Joel Case:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Joel Case:
    Quote from @Steve Ehrman:

    @Joel Case. https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/ct-lab-confirms-marijuana-laced-with-fentanyl-is-a-new-public-safety-threat/2658007/


    Same type of article linked above with another article showing that only one confirmed case of lab testing cannabis laced with fentanyl. You can't debate if you won't read, but even if it were true it's a one in a million occurrence. Definitely not a norm or a tendency.

    Okay then, I'll tell the recovering drug dealer I tried to help, that he is wrong  and that he wasn't really smoking weed with fentanyl in it . . . when he gets back out of jail for weed and fentanyl possession and distribution.

     Ok, we will add him to your numbers but it still would make it 1 in 1,000,000 AT BEST. 


     Okay, if you say so. 

    I'm not sure why you are twisting what I said, but for the final time for  the lurkers, he is selling weed laced with fentanyl on the streets. and the police are reporting that is the new "thing". That means more than one person is being affected. 

    I suppose Ocean Springs MS doesn't have a drug problem, which I'm thankful for, but the big cities do. Your STR guests usually come from the big cities.

  • Real Estate Agent · Denver CO · Member since 2019 · 210 posts · 332 votes
    3y

    Excellent points and well said @Shiela R.! 

    To the OP's original question...I don't have any STRs but in my LTRs I do advertise them as 4/20 friendly.  There are many responsible consumers and consumers for medicinal purposes that I'd love to have in my rentals.  In my experience, if other housing providers limit consumption then tenants take better care of the 4/20 friendly place since they value the space more and don't want to trash it and make it inhabitable.  In most cases, I believe 4/20 friendly is an extreme value add for our properties since others may not allow it.

    For those who aren't 4/20 friendly, do you allow alcohol consumption in your STR or LTR? If yes, then why?

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Just an FYI, the weed black market is still there. Just because it is legal doesn't mean the black market doesn't exist. That doesn't happen with alcohol as distillation takes a pretty long time. Marijuana grows pretty fast.

    Regarding the use of booze at our rental, we don't restrict it. It is a much more commonly used substance and isn't illegal. Weed is illegal in Idaho.

  • Real Estate Agent · Denver CO · Member since 2019 · 210 posts · 332 votes
    3y

    Good call outs, that makes sense.  It's a different story if weed is illegal and/or purchased on the black market.

    My main point is that typically alcohol gets a pass but legal weed doesn't.  It would be hard to argue that alcohol is a more responsible vice over weed.  One has medicinal uses and the other has little known medicinal uses other than sterilization (please educate me if this is incorrect).  However, since it's the property owner's choice they should dictate the rules and guests should abide by those rules.  But if you can encourage and monitor legal and responsible 4/20 friendliness I do think it gives you a massive advantage on the competition. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Marcus R., alcohol has a ton of medicinal uses beyond sterilization. It is a main ingredient for ear meds and other oral liquid medications.

    I would not say that alcohol is better or worse than weed. I will say that many people drink alcohol without the intent of getting drunk while weed is only used for its affects. Some just like a beer with their hot dog.

    Marijuana has a pretty deleterious affect on white matter in the brain. I dissected a long term weed smokers brain and the number of lesions on the white matter in the brain was pretty amazing. particularly the corpus callosum. From what I understand the content of THC has gone way up and the damage caused happens sooner and is more widespread in the brain. It is going to be a real problem in a few years for a lot of people. Even those that only use it a couple times a week.

    Alcohol also is tough on the human body. It isn't metabolized that well and takes time to leave the body. It does cause damage. Mainly the heart, liver (the most well known), pancreas, the brain, and has been shown to contribute to certain cancers as well as immunological problems. All that is mainly with drinking too much.

    The bottom line is that either one will cause problems for many users. Casual weed use is worse than casual alcohol use. Either way, weed is not legal where our lake house is and even if it was, I would still say no. It is also in our rental agreement.

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Hey @Marcus R., alcohol has a ton of medicinal uses beyond sterilization. It is a main ingredient for ear meds and other oral liquid medications.

    I would not say that alcohol is better or worse than weed. I will say that many people drink alcohol without the intent of getting drunk while weed is only used for its affects. Some just like a beer with their hot dog.

    Marijuana has a pretty deleterious affect on white matter in the brain. I dissected a long term weed smokers brain and the number of lesions on the white matter in the brain was pretty amazing. particularly the corpus callosum. From what I understand the content of THC has gone way up and the damage caused happens sooner and is more widespread in the brain. It is going to be a real problem in a few years for a lot of people. Even those that only use it a couple times a week.

    Alcohol also is tough on the human body. It isn't metabolized that well and takes time to leave the body. It does cause damage. Mainly the heart, liver (the most well known), pancreas, the brain, and has been shown to contribute to certain cancers as well as immunological problems. All that is mainly with drinking too much.

    The bottom line is that either one will cause problems for many users. Casual weed use is worse than casual alcohol use. Either way, weed is not legal where our lake house is and even if it was, I would still say no. It is also in our rental agreement.

    I grew up in an area of Seattle in the 60's & 70's where smoking weed was more common than smoking cigarettes. Not one of my friends or anyone I knew stopped at weed. They went on to hash, reds, uppers, downers, mescaline, mushrooms, sometimes heroin, sometimes other pills they found in people's cabinets. Most died young (overdose), were in catastophic car wrecks or other "accidents" or went to prison. Some graduated from high school though and went into the military (remember Vietnam?) but they did not stop at weed. 

    It seems unlikely that anyone you invite as a guest in your STR for 4/20 (weed) doesn't personally use other things or have visitors use other things & will actually stop at weed.
    Maybe human nature has changed, but I doubt it.
  • Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    This is a hilarious question, but agreed with most that marketing to this niche might turn off people that aren't enthusiasts, and also may attract some rough crowds. 

  • Michael K GallagherBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Scott E.:
    Quote from @Michael K Gallagher:

    Thanks everyone for the input! really interesting perspectives. First off let me say I am not personally an STR operator, this was purely a thought experiment.

    I was more interested in if there is anyone out there currently doing it, which it sounds like there is not, at least here on BP which is totally fine (shout out the folks that aren't advertising but are cool with it!!)...However, considering Canna-Tourism is a $17Billion industry, I find it hard to believe you couldn't be successful if you put some intent behind it.  

    I came to the thought through the "red room cabins" that blew up on tik tok, and the theory that niches make riches.  I for sure agree that advertising "420 friendly" would drive away families and none smokers, but isn't that the idea of having an intentional avatar and customer in mind?  If you are serving your market and customer with intent and hospitality I'd think you could charge a premium over a standard rental.

    I'm going to be curious if any large legacy Cannabis companies like Cookies (who just closed a massive series A funding round in April), Jungle boys, The Dopest, etc wouldn't go down the same road as Brew Dog did with there "dog house" concept here in central OH. They have a hotel attached to their North American headquarters that looks out over the production floor, and every room as a tap/shower beer fridge.

    The idea of having an intentional avatar and customer in mind is critical to almost any business, but supply and demand is just as critical.

    In my mind, when you are a STR host your avatar and customer is: Somebody traveling to the region where you own a home, who is looking for short term accommodations, who prefers staying in a house over a hotel.

    If you 'niche down' further than that, I think you're just weeding out potential customers (pun intended lol)


     You win the internet for Pun of the century.  And its a great point well taken. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    Advertise you have a drug friendly house. No.

    I do not want people smoking cigarettes in my houses, much less anything else.


    Oh come on John, marketing your house as receptive drug-den, what can go wrong....... 

    Ok, ok, but I mean other then that....... lol

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.