Insurance provider for STR in a 1970's property

Insurance provider for STR in a 1970's property

Investor · Palm Beach · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 6 votes

Hello,

I've been struggling insuring my property while I was renting it as a long term rental due to the property age (1970's). Speaking to other LL, we all have the same issue, only Citizens or Heritage insure properties in my area that are built in the 1970's.

My issue is neither of these insurance providers insure STRs. My insurance agent just informed me that they cannot find any insurance provider which will provide coverage now that I operate the property as a STR.

There are 100's of SRT's in my area, many of these properties are the same age as mine and a lot of them are even older. If I cannot get my property insured then neither can they.. 

I need to find a solution, if anyone has any advice or know of an insurance provider that will insure a 1970's STR property in south Florida please let me know.

Mortgage rates have increased to the point where the property is not viable as a LTR.

I appreciate any feedback. 

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Alex BekezaBusiness Member
Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

@Stefhan Malherbe I have a guy in Florida that has recently saved a few of my clients on deals that Citizens and Heritage declined coverage on.  I'll DM you his info and hopefully he can get this done for you.  His name is Tyler Nagle.  Let him know I sent you. I was impressed with his customer service and acumen. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Alex BekezaBusiness Member
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Stefhan Malherbe I have a guy in Florida that has recently saved a few of my clients on deals that Citizens and Heritage declined coverage on.  I'll DM you his info and hopefully he can get this done for you.  His name is Tyler Nagle.  Let him know I sent you. I was impressed with his customer service and acumen. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    I am curious, is this because homes built in the 70's weren't built to the same hurricane resistant standards as new builds?

    If a home built during that time period was retro fitted with updated things to resist hurricane damage, does that change the insurance underwriting?

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    It has been very tough in FL, but check Kin and Proper.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    Foremost, Cbiz, or Proper.

  • Investor · Palm Beach · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    I am curious, is this because homes built in the 70's weren't built to the same hurricane resistant standards as new builds?

    If a home built during that time period was retro fitted with updated things to resist hurricane damage, does that change the insurance underwriting?


     Good question, I will ask my insurance agent. The agent has never suggested it over the years but it is worth asking

  • Investor · Palm Beach · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

    It has been very tough in FL, but check Kin and Proper.


     Thank you

  • Investor · Palm Beach · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    Foremost, Cbiz, or Proper.


     Thank you

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.