Backyard shed as a short term rental

Backyard shed as a short term rental

Member since 2022 · 27 posts · 10 votes

I am thinking of building a shed in the backyard for rental purposes. I live in the bay area. If you are knowledgeable about various aspects I need to consider, please do share. The high-level plan is to build a cozy shed with space to sleep and work and have a mini kitchen and toilet and shower. It has its own entrance. Ideally, I would like to rent it out on a short-term basis and if allowed on a long-term basis. If I can't rent it out, I will use it for my personal purposes. This is not an ADU. I dont have the budget for building an ADU.

Is it feasible and possible?

Can a shed have a toilet and shower?

Approximately how much does this project cost? How is the permit process for sheds?

Has anyone done this in the bay area successfully? I am in San Mateo County. 

I am confused about parking. I might have to let them parking in the driveway and I park one of ours near the curb. How did you all solve the parking problem? Do short-term renters have a car? They do most likely. I live in a suburb and public transportation is not close by.  There is plenty of street parking.  I wonder if neighbors are going to resist. 


Do I need to get a separate internet connection or upgrade the existing one and share wifi?

0Reply
111 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
3y

This sounds more like an ADU honestly.

By the time you add everything you need you'll have some money in it.

I'd check on permitting first. 

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Architect · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2021 · 51 posts · 12 votes
    3y

    He wants to build an ADU people.

    @Pal Sa reach out to some contractors who have built homes and ADUs in your town. You'll get a lot further with that person than a random post on Bigger Pockets.  

    Sorry I cant be of better assistance, I havent done any project in SF Bay Area yet.

    Kurt

  • Contractor · Missouri and Az · Member since 2023 · 27 posts · 22 votes
    3y

    I'm just finishing up a 16x18' ADU by in the backyard of a residence in Prescott, Az. I'm sure it isn't as expensive as building in Cali and the homeowner has about $136,000 into it.
       No bathroom or kitchenette, just a stem wall, subfloor, 10’ ceilings, mini split, drywall, electric, and a small deck out front. It’s an awesome looking structure but even a small structure is expensive to build these days. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    People build ADUs to cram more living spaces onto their properties. Your idea, unfortunately, will not work unless you intend to spend a LOT of money. Your ROI for a STR will be really rough, so it's real use will most likely be an ADU. DO you need one? There is no money to be made here.....

  • Member since 2021 · 88 posts · 80 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Pal Sa:

    I am thinking of building a shed in the backyard for rental purposes. I live in the bay area. If you are knowledgeable about various aspects I need to consider, please do share. The high-level plan is to build a cozy shed with space to sleep and work and have a mini kitchen and toilet and shower. It has its own entrance. Ideally, I would like to rent it out on a short-term basis and if allowed on a long-term basis. If I can't rent it out, I will use it for my personal purposes. This is not an ADU. I dont have the budget for building an ADU.

    Is it feasible and possible?

    Can a shed have a toilet and shower?

    Approximately how much does this project cost? How is the permit process for sheds?

    Has anyone done this in the bay area successfully? I am in San Mateo County. 

    I am confused about parking. I might have to let them parking in the driveway and I park one of ours near the curb. How did you all solve the parking problem? Do short-term renters have a car? They do most likely. I live in a suburb and public transportation is not close by.  There is plenty of street parking.  I wonder if neighbors are going to resist. 


    Do I need to get a separate internet connection or upgrade the existing one and share wifi?

    Hey there. I’ve built and remodeled here in CA for a long time. Simply put, there has always been explicit codes in place for creating “habitable space/accessory structures”. Many local CA municipalities had various tweaks on what they can be, ie “rec rooms” etc. that could have a toilet and sink, but no shower, because…… they aren’t dumb, they have always known what an intended “sleeping-based occupancy” looks like. Now more than ever due to the statewide ADU clarifications, there are no gray areas really. What you explicitly are asking to do from a code compliance perspective does not exist as you were hoping might be possible from a “budget” minded concern. You will be required to meet full residential code compliance on any full-time occupancy, no matter what anyone wants to call it.

    Any new habitable accessory structure on a lot, despite its size, will require full complete plans to modern code, foundations to finish.  Smaller does not equate to “cheap” in this context. Sorry.
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    @Mark Bohstedt & @Bruce Woodruff, what would it cost to add the single full bath and small kitchen in that ADU? 10k each?

  • Contractor · Missouri and Az · Member since 2023 · 27 posts · 22 votes
    3y

    Michael, on this ADU it would add about $29,000. Just tying into the existing sewer would be expensive with trees and landscaping needing to be removed. Probably,$6,500 for the underground, $4,500 to repair the landscaping, and the balance for the sink, toilet, water heater and small shower.
       This area has granite close to the surface so I would include a hard dig clause also. The footings took four days to dig with a mini excavator due to the rocky soil. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    @Mark Bohstedt & @Bruce Woodruff, what would it cost to add the single full bath and small kitchen in that ADU? 10k each?


     At least. Closer to $50k. Another $30 for kitchen...

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Zoinks! 

  • KiKi ChaseBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2022 · 184 posts · 75 votes
    3y

    It is possible, but I would make sure you know what the regulations and restrictions are in your area! I had one client interested in this in Indianapolis, but ended up purchasing a duplex. You will have to see how much it would be to run plumbing, electrical, etc, because that can add up! If it works, it could be great! 

    Brentwood Collective54 Reviews
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.