Rental Property Investor · AL · Member since 2020 · 41 posts · 10 votes
Hello!
What are my fellow BP member thoughts on this language? Does it specifically prohibit short term rentals? I'm not seeing that it does and I am living in an ideal situation to move out and STR. This is not an HOA, it is just a very old set of bylaws on a subdivision.
I don't put a lot of stock in attorneys, and I have worked in lawful counsel capacities for myself as well as for attorneys, so please don't recommend one 😄
The way I'm reading it-- as long as it's the entire property being rented, which it is, and it's not for more than one family, which it isn't, then it's pretty vague if it wanted to prohibit STRs. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
I would be more interested in the process and numbers required for amending the CCRs and the owners' viewpoints on the STR issue than the current governing language. The language is obviously vague. Just read the differing opinions in this thread which are all reasonable — it would be just as easy to make the argument that STRs are not prohibited as long as the entire single family residential property is subject to the occupancy OR that STRs are prohibited because they are a transient accommodation. That's a conflict that needs to be resolved and likely will at some point.
So if X% of the owners who oppose STRs have the numbers and they get together and agree to expressly ban them outright by adding a few words to this section, that would put the issue to rest for a while … and if the property only works as an STR you're screwed.
Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
With STR you cannot limit to one family and this says one. Many STR customers are several friends together.
Transient rental means less than thirty days.
They are going to fine you. It also says you cannot add another unit, implying no ADU.
Don't buy in a HOA if you plan to STR. Or get a staff attorney to fight the fines. How much is each fine?
If you own this already I would sell and find property that does not have an HOA or CCR's that restrict. Cities and counties can also overlay bans. Or get on the Board and start the rally process to change the Bylaws/CCR's. You will need a majority and probably an attorney to write the new terms and conditions. Usually there is a hearing process, cost, and voting. If I wanted to STR under these rules I would be Miss Popularity getting on the Board and giving out candy. Hopefully the tract is not majority older people or people with small children both go to bed early, don't like extra cars and strangers. The mix of the community of voters predetermines your outcome. You have to sell the idea to them that STR is good.
What are my fellow BP member thoughts on this language? Does it specifically prohibit short term rentals? I'm not seeing that it does and I am living in an ideal situation to move out and STR. This is not an HOA, it is just a very old set of bylaws on a subdivision.
I don't put a lot of stock in attorneys, and I have worked in lawful counsel capacities for myself as well as for attorneys, so please don't recommend one 😄
The way I'm reading it-- as long as it's the entire property being rented, which it is, and it's not for more than one family, which it isn't, then it's pretty vague if it wanted to prohibit STRs. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
We get this question all the time. "Transient accommodation" is STR specific. You may LONG TERM rental it only. One item not specificized is LONG TERM does that mean 3 months or 6 months or 12 months qualify?