Golf Carts at an STR?

Golf Carts at an STR?

Bryce JamisonPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Mebane, NC · Member since 2015 · 493 posts · 439 votes

Any thoughts on having a golf cart at an STR for guest to use?

Part of me thinks it will make my property stand out, decrease vacancy, and increase rent. The other part of me is worried about the liability of having drunk people on vacation driving a golf cart they don't own.

Maybe there's a middle ground. I could charge an additional fee to have access to it, and have them sign some sort of waiver indicating they accept all risk and won't sue me if they hurt themselves.

0Reply
77 views

Most Popular Reply

Dan SlaughterPro Member
Developer · GA · Member since 2019 · 74 posts · 42 votes
3y

I partnered with a local company to provide a discount code to the guests should they chose to rent one.  I didn’t want the overhead or the liability with providing one as part of the rental. 

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 984 votes
    3y

    I looked into this and decided against it. It was a property on a golf course so made sense. My insurance agent said they could add a rider to my policy for it. The main reason I decided not to do it is the distance from the golf course start and my cabin. It would’ve been driven on the street a lot and didn’t seem to make too much sense. 

  • Dan SlaughterPro Member
    Developer · GA · Member since 2019 · 74 posts · 42 votes
    3y

    I partnered with a local company to provide a discount code to the guests should they chose to rent one.  I didn’t want the overhead or the liability with providing one as part of the rental. 

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Partnering up with a local company would probably be the best. I know there is a company that offers different rentals to hosts for their STR, but the name isn't coming right now. Maybe someone else knows and can post it below.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    I agree with partnering up to provide vs providing it yourself.

    Too much liability IMHO.

    I know United Rentals has them for rent. They are nationwide, but I would search locally.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    Some rental places will deliver to your property too.

  • Devin PetersonBusiness Member
    Lender · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2022 · 2k+ posts · 664 votes
    3y

    As much as I want to say yes partnering up for steep local discounts is a safer play

  • Member since 2023 · 43 posts · 20 votes
    3y

    Maybe you can do something similar to a Lime or Bird Scooter. Where the owner pays for the amount of time spent on the scooter. Im sure it wouldn't be as cost effective as a golf cart. You just gotta let the guest know youre not responsible for any injuries. 

    It also depends on how your property's location.

  • Member since 2023 · 43 posts · 20 votes
    3y

    Maybe get some electric scooters or bikes and just charge the guest by the minute. Less cost effective. Just gotta let the guest know you are not responsible for any injuries.

  • Leander TX · Member since 2020 · 179 posts · 150 votes
    3y

    I listened to a podcast recently where the manager was earning 10k a year on renting their own pontoon boat.  A used boat was 15k - 20k.  I was listening for the part that worries me: liability, but he acted like it wasn't an issue with a signed liability waiver and proper insurance.

  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    3y

    A golf cart available for guests at your short-term rental (STR) property can definitely make it stand out and increase its appeal. It can be seen as a unique amenity that sets your property apart and attracts potential renters. However, it's important to consider the liability and safety concerns that come with allowing guests to use a golf cart they don't own. Here in Texas law treats golf carts similarly to motor vehicles, so there are regulations to be aware of. To address these concerns, you could charge an additional fee for access to the golf cart and have guests sign a liability waiver, clearly outlining the risks and their responsibilities. Proper maintenance, safety guidelines, and ensuring compliance with local laws are crucial.

  • Rental Property Investor · Inlet Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 199 posts · 111 votes
    3y

    As local in a full-time beach town, I hate everything to do with golf carts.

    It *might* make your property stand out, but if that's the determining factor for someone renting a place or not, they can always rent their own golf cart.

    As others have mentioned, partner with a local company and give vouchers or discounts if they want to rent their own.

    I have plenty more to say on this topic, but that's for another thread.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    3y

    WAAAY to much liability..  Golf carts and kids,   Golf Carts and drunks,  Golf carts and people that simply cant drive well no matter what kind of vehicle they have. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Inlet Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 199 posts · 111 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

    WAAAY to much liability..  Golf carts and kids,   Golf Carts and drunks,  Golf carts and people that simply cant drive well no matter what kind of vehicle they have. 

    Exactly. Golf carts are treated like toys because people have vacation brain.

    Would you provide a car rental for your guests, or leave a car available for them to use? I think not.

    But a golf cart with less safety features, uncapable of traveling speed limits on roads, no doors, children often traveling without car seats or boosters (that people spend hundreds of dollars on to keep their kids safe in the car), kids/teens/drunks driving illegally, etc.

    It's providing a vehicle for use, even if it is a "golf cart." It is required to be a street legal vehicle.
  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    I've watched enough Instagram fail reels to know this is a bad idea. Watching people get drunk and start ramping golf carts and then falling out is always a good one to watch....as long as it's not your golf cart!

    I will say, personally if I'm going to a rental and they have a golf cart that would be AWESOME and I would love it, but I know I'm responsible. Most guests would be responsible, but it's the few that ruin it for the rest of us!!

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 754 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    I agree with partnering up to provide vs providing it yourself.

    Too much liability IMHO.

    I know United Rentals has them for rent. They are nationwide, but I would search locally.

    Boom! This! 
  • Leander TX · Member since 2020 · 179 posts · 150 votes
    3y

    What do you think about UTVs (side by sides, Polaris, Kawasaki, etc) in the Smokies?  I see tons of people driving them around and it would seem like a no brainer to offer one for rent in your cabin if you had a garage.  The guest wouldn't have to pick it up in town.  They could just rent yours on site.  Other than the liability and maintenance, it seems like a great way to add revenue to your cabin, or even increase occupancy in your cabin.  Any thoughts?

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Same difference  @Matt Mertz. Even worse IMHO. People could get killed using it while drunk or whatever.

    Boats, UTVs and all that would probably be a cool addition to any STR. Until it goes wrong and you lose it all. Just say no and make a deal with a local place.

  • Real Estate Agent · Emerald Coast, FL · Member since 2016 · 820 posts · 486 votes
    3y

    Just buy a property that's walkable to the beach (or other nearby attraction for that market), and you won't even need to think about this!

    (I also support the NO GOLF CARTS team here.)

  • Bryce JamisonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Mebane, NC · Member since 2015 · 493 posts · 439 votes
    3y
    Quote from @David A Lisowski:

    As local in a full-time beach town, I hate everything to do with golf carts.

    It *might* make your property stand out, but if that's the determining factor for someone renting a place or not, they can always rent their own golf cart.

    As others have mentioned, partner with a local company and give vouchers or discounts if they want to rent their own.

    I have plenty more to say on this topic, but that's for another thread.



    Start the golf cart thread! I thought they were great. What am I missing?

  • Bryce JamisonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Mebane, NC · Member since 2015 · 493 posts · 439 votes
    3y
    Quote from @David A Lisowski:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

    WAAAY to much liability..  Golf carts and kids,   Golf Carts and drunks,  Golf carts and people that simply cant drive well no matter what kind of vehicle they have. 

    Exactly. Golf carts are treated like toys because people have vacation brain.

    Would you provide a car rental for your guests, or leave a car available for them to use? I think not.

    But a golf cart with less safety features, uncapable of traveling speed limits on roads, no doors, children often traveling without car seats or boosters (that people spend hundreds of dollars on to keep their kids safe in the car), kids/teens/drunks driving illegally, etc.

    It's providing a vehicle for use, even if it is a "golf cart." It is required to be a street legal vehicle.

    Actually, having a an optional car to rent might be a great idea! Maybe 6 or more months ago David Greene had someone on the BP podcast talking about mid-term rentals for travelling nurses and that's exactly what they did. Their goal was to fill every need the renter had so they could focus solely on working. This manifested itself in unique ways with the car and having groceries delivered. Golf cart / car and grocery delivery included with your STR? Did we just create our own niche?

    I guess it's a risk spectrum question. Yeah there's money to be made, but at what risk, and o yeah drunk people at the beach pose a high risk.

  • Bryce JamisonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Mebane, NC · Member since 2015 · 493 posts · 439 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matt Mertz:

    What do you think about UTVs (side by sides, Polaris, Kawasaki, etc) in the Smokies?  I see tons of people driving them around and it would seem like a no brainer to offer one for rent in your cabin if you had a garage.  The guest wouldn't have to pick it up in town.  They could just rent yours on site.  Other than the liability and maintenance, it seems like a great way to add revenue to your cabin, or even increase occupancy in your cabin.  Any thoughts?


    I don't know the Smokies well enough to have an educated opinion, but my thought is it may be an even better idea than carts at the beach. UTVs in the mountains may be more of a need than a golf carts at the beach, and while there's always the risk of people drinking and driving at a vacation property, getting drunk is almost the expectation at the beach whereas you can go to the Smokies without the sole goal of getting trashed...maybe.

  • Bryce JamisonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Mebane, NC · Member since 2015 · 493 posts · 439 votes
    3y
    Quote from @January Johnson:

    Just buy a property that's walkable to the beach (or other nearby attraction for that market), and you won't even need to think about this!

    (I also support the NO GOLF CARTS team here.)


    Honestly, I think this is the correct answer. I'm treating the symptom of having a long walk to the beach when I should be treating the problem of not being close enough to the beach.

    How do you define walkable to the beach? I'm looking at a place like 2.5 blocks from it. The 5 minute walk, even with beach stuff, is fine by me, but it might kill my mom.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Bryce Jamison you have to drop mom off I guess :) Seriously though a beach cart like wheeleeze or something to bring the stuff to the beach is good even if you are only 2 blocks away. And you get a good one and they last a long time!   Not much liability too.

  • Investor · Cabo San Lucas, Mexico · Member since 2023 · 150 posts · 139 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dan Slaughter:

    I partnered with a local company to provide a discount code to the guests should they chose to rent one.  I didn’t want the overhead or the liability with providing one as part of the rental. 

    We have done this with a variety of items and it has worked out wonderfully.
  • Member since 2021 · 26 posts · 15 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matt Mertz:

    What do you think about UTVs (side by sides, Polaris, Kawasaki, etc) in the Smokies?  I see tons of people driving them around and it would seem like a no brainer to offer one for rent in your cabin if you had a garage.  The guest wouldn't have to pick it up in town.  They could just rent yours on site.  Other than the liability and maintenance, it seems like a great way to add revenue to your cabin, or even increase occupancy in your cabin.  Any thoughts?


     We had the same idea and executed on it. Have a rental in the mountains. We use the rental ourselves too. The community has great UTV trails, so bought a Mule (not that expensive and built like a tank) to enjoy the trails. Rent the house and allow people to rent the UTV separately ($200-$350/day depending on season). have a very strong liability disclaimer and contract form. Need proof of insurance, deposit etc. etc. In my case, the UTV can only be driven within a community so that helps. Also, it is a tax deduction. Insurance was inexpensive and it does add something different to the rental experience. Just my $0.02

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.