VRBO and review of guests.

VRBO and review of guests.

Homeowner · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 358 posts · 65 votes

Our guests are 98% family related and good. We got a booking request of few men and the inquiry one joined VRBO in 2015 but 0 review. We called VRBO and this is the answer: people can change emails and get rid of the reviews. If this is true, it is risk to accept booking from VRBO when some rats are there. How to add requirements to have ID, picture and at least 1 review to book in VRBO like AirBNB?

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
3y

I never worry about reviews or trying to lookup someone. Hotels don't do this.

I get a picture ID from anyone renting the house.

I charge a hefty nightly night and if they can afford it they are approved.

I have better things to worry about than trying screen people.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    I never worry about reviews or trying to lookup someone. Hotels don't do this.

    I get a picture ID from anyone renting the house.

    I charge a hefty nightly night and if they can afford it they are approved.

    I have better things to worry about than trying screen people.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Same here @Huiping S.. If you worry about each and every guest based on no reviews and who they might be, you might as well just get out of the STR business and start doing LTRs instead.

    We have had groups of couples and groups of guys to ride the bike trail, families, groups of older ladies...the demographic is pretty broad.

    I vet each and every group that books by sending them a message asking some questions to see what they have to say. It gives me a general idea of who they are and what they are planning.

    You just have to roll with it!

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Over thinking. 

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    I agree with John, think of this like a hotel and how you are treated when you stay at one.

    We do 300-500 reservations per month and probably run into bad apples about 5-10 times per year which averages to about 0.15% of all bookings.  That being said our average damage report is under $1,000 and has never gone over $2,500.

    We do give guests warnings in the listing and the rental agreement and that has dissuaded most people.

  • Homeowner · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 358 posts · 65 votes
    3y

    Ok, 

    real issues: when you saw few different hot dressed women walked in and out your property during one night at different time when those men stay in your property, and each woman stay there for around 1 hour, how do you think? When you saw one man walked out at 6am to look around and then one woman walked out, how do you think?

    I try to leave a little face to the rats but this happened.

    Good luck for Tampa bay area short term rentals when VRBO told us this man booked multiple in this area recently.

  • Homeowner · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 358 posts · 65 votes
    3y

    BTW, when we found VRBO is helpless and we run to the property within few minutes and questioned those rates. To protect the property is #1 or rates need leave. I believe rats are rates and none of them wants police to questions anything. Very possible police know who are those women on the cameras.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    So @Huiping S., was there a ton of damage? Were the police called for any reason?

    When did this happen? I guess it could be possible that your house is now the place to meet for a little off the books entertainment.

    Has this happened multiple times?

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    If this keeps happening, you need to give your property an overhaul and charge more each night. The avatar guest that your property is drawing in most be changed! 

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    If a problem happens several times in short period of time, only then work on a solution.  Not every problem needs a draconian solution.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.