Operating Airbnbs without EVER seeing the house

Operating Airbnbs without EVER seeing the house

Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 231 posts · 256 votes

I own 2 Airbnbs and Co-Host several properties that I’ve NEVER seen in person!

It all comes down to having the right team, Technology, and processes in place!!

Teams (of course there are more, but these are the top 2 most important)

-Cleaners

-Handyman

Tech - Tech that makes running the biz simple from anywhere!

- Smart Locks

- Cameras

- My phone lol

Processes - Aka my standard operating procedures for...

- How trash is handled

- Cleaning procedures between each guest

- Ordering supplies

- Furnishing units

Have questions about running Airbnbs remotely?  Or have insightful comments about how you run your Airbnb biz remotely?  Drop em below!

4Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
3y

I would never hire a PM that can't routinely inspect the property and help with things without having to pay someone else for every little thing that needs to be done.

Example: Had a problem with a 4k projector and surround sound system. PM spent multiple days troubleshooting issue and ultimately we had to replace projector under warranty. He provided a decent sized loaner TV during the process. Guess how much extra we paid for all this? Nada.

This was just part of his value add of being a boots on the ground local PM.

If your PM isn't local you may as well self manage.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 231 posts · 256 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dan Thomas:

    @Ryan Moyer

    More of a general statement about posts regarding STR, not necessarily specific to that property. I feel like every STR related youtube video or BP post showcasing how successful a property is seems to highlight gross revenue. Personal pet peeve I guess. For all I know they are loosing money hand over fist for all the reasons you mentioned and many more.....

    IYea I totally agree with you!!! I'm just the Co-Host on that property, so I don't own it. I have no idea what it netted because I don't know how much the owners paid in expenses for mortage, taxes, insurance, utilities, etc. etc.

    I get 20% of the gross revenue so that's why I shared the gross #.

    I'm with you though, for properties that I own, I always share the net! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    I also co-host and do not ever go there. No need to be local. You just need a good team. I know lots of local managers who charge way higher rates and are not even half as responsive as I am. 

  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    I'm gonna have to side with @Sarah Kensinger on this one. The "value" that you are adding feels like a self serving marketing piece. I exchange messages, texts, and/or calls pretty much every week answering questions and helping when people think that I can be a resource. And others have done that for me as well...the community offering free help is part of what makes this amazing.

    I could also post tips for self managing, long distance, short term vs. mid term, etc. that would fall under my area of expertise. The difference is that you are listed as a real estate coach and a co-host. Whether it is reality or perceived reality, you have something to sell, and this feels like an advertisement more than help or providing value. 

    The OGs on this thread like @Luke Carl, @John Underwood, and @Michael Baum have provided value to hundreds of folks here without pitching anything (that I have seen). That's probably a better model to follow. Block, tackle, and help individuals with specific questions.

    As for not visiting a property - different strokes for different folks. I like to spend a night or two in each property every year. There are certain things that you won't notice until you spend a full night or two there. Guests don't communicate everything and your team doesn't stay overnight to replicate the guest experience. I may be overdoing it a little; you can certainly get by without visiting the property...it's just not my preference.

  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 956 posts · 600 votes
    3y

    @Dan Thomas if it's helpful I see people netting $150-$350 per month in my market after all expenses and debt service at 20% down and ~7.625% interest rates. Not bad on properties in great areas and ideal condition! It's a shift from what we used to see and it's lower cash on cash, but it is an option to cash flow when positioning as a long term rental here isn't providing that right now. This is on $150,000 - $230,000 properties. 

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Travis Timmons:

    The OGs on this thread like @Luke Carl, @John Underwood, and @Michael Baum have provided value to hundreds of folks here without pitching anything (that I have seen).

    Only one these guys has something to pitch. ;p
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.