Do you charge an early checkin/late checkout fee?

Do you charge an early checkin/late checkout fee?

Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 231 posts · 256 votes

I used to charge extra anytime a guest would request to check in early or check out late, but I’ve since adjusted my policy and allow guests to check in 1 hour early/check out 1 hour late for FREE (when available).  

If my guests want to check in a few hours early or check out a few hours late, I charge them $$

Do you charge for early check-ins or late checkouts?  Whats your policy?

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
3y

I have never charged for this.

If I can I will let someone check in a noon instead of 4 PM. 

I'm not about nickle and dimeing people for little things. I charge a good amount to stay in my property already because it is a great property.

I offer it if it's available before anyone asks me for it. Another reason I have so many 5 star reviews.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    We are a PM, I do think there is a distinction between mom and pop/self managed and PM's with dozens of properties.

    1. We do charge a nominal fee ($25 per hour for most listings).  

    2. Smart locks are set to allow access 15 mins before check in time and 15 mins after check out time complimentary.

    3. The reason we charge is because to accommodate the requests it frequently causes costly inefficiencies in our operations (i.e. having to drive criss crossing town, having to send cleaners back later in the day to clean to accommodate a late check out).  These inefficiencies cost money in terms of gas, time, potential overtime, etc.  It is an optional upgrade that people should have to pay if they want it in my opinion.

  • Dave StokleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 699 posts · 799 votes
    3y

    Yes, $25/hr up to two hours either way. There was just an article in the Wall Street Journal last week about how many hotels are doing this now too.

  • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 708 posts · 639 votes
    3y

    if they are crazy check in (say 4 hours early) then maybe. If its a little and the place is clean and ready, i let them know im letting them in early to start some good will. As for checking out, i check with my cleaners and sometimes let them know they can take another hour past the normal checkout time (10 am) if they need it. but honestly, i havent had anyone ask for late checkout so far this year.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    I have never charged for this.

    If I can I will let someone check in a noon instead of 4 PM. 

    I'm not about nickle and dimeing people for little things. I charge a good amount to stay in my property already because it is a great property.

    I offer it if it's available before anyone asks me for it. Another reason I have so many 5 star reviews.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Trent Reeve:

    if they are crazy check in (say 4 hours early) then maybe. If its a little and the place is clean and ready, i let them know im letting them in early to start some good will. As for checking out, i check with my cleaners and sometimes let them know they can take another hour past the normal checkout time (10 am) if they need it. but honestly, i havent had anyone ask for late checkout so far this year.

    I agree.

    If it costs me no extra effort then I will do it an no extra expense to guests.
  • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 708 posts · 639 votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Trent Reeve:

    if they are crazy check in (say 4 hours early) then maybe. If its a little and the place is clean and ready, i let them know im letting them in early to start some good will. As for checking out, i check with my cleaners and sometimes let them know they can take another hour past the normal checkout time (10 am) if they need it. but honestly, i havent had anyone ask for late checkout so far this year.

    I agree.

    If it costs me no extra effort then I will do it an no extra expense to guests.

     also, my being in PCB, most of my guests have a long drive in. I preemptively reach out to let them know they don't have to "wait around" until check in time and can go ahead and get settled in.

  • Member since 2021 · 47 posts · 42 votes
    3y

    I've noticed that at least half of the guests I've had ask for an early check in don't actually use it. The worst was someone recently that asked to check in at noon in order to "beat the heat and traffic". I contacted my cleaners to check their schedule and personally walked the unit to coordinate the early check in. 

    I checked the ring camera to make sure the guests were able to get in and noticed that they still weren't there at 7pm. I reached out to make sure everything was ok and they stated that they had left at 4am but underestimated the drive time. I'm not sure how it's possible to underestimate travel time by 7+ hours.

    I think some people just want to see how much the host is willing to give. Usually those same people tend to be the more needy and troublesome guests. 

    With all of that being said, I will continue to offer early check in for free when I know it's available as I do think it is a nice gesture and likely leads to a positive first impression. Late checkout really just depends on whether or not I have guests arriving the same day.

  • Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2022 · 408 posts · 408 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bailey Kramer:

    Do you charge for early check-ins or late checkouts?  Whats your policy?

    Our check in time is 9am and checkout is 4pm. We aren’t doing this to get rich, we are doing it to make memories for families. Our long term rental properties are what pays for our lifestyle.
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    I am with @John Underwood on this. We allow anytime check in if we can accommodate it.

    Our normal check in is at 5pm but I let a guest this season get in at 12pm. They made great time on their drive up from AZ and were really early. The house was ready and no one was there so no problem.

    Regarding late checkout, that is dependent on our cleaner and if it is a back to back.

    Most often I can allow an hour to 2 hours if my cleaner is cool with it. Normal check out is 10am.

    We don't charge for any of that. Helping guests gets you 5 star reviews.

    This is the way...

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y

    I do what @Michael Baum and @John Underwood do. Our check out is 10 AM and check in is 4 PM. If there's no guest leaving that same day such that our house is already clean, I generally give them early check-in without cost. On check out, same thing - if no one is coming in the same day and if it doesn't interfere with our cleaners then no problem. I don't have many people ask but sometimes foreigners do - for example a family we just hosted from the Netherlands arrived early from their flight. House was empty so we let them check in about 1.5 hours early. No big deal for me either way because I just turn locks on and off. As mentioned it helps in reviews as well. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Trent Reeve:

    if they are crazy check in (say 4 hours early) then maybe. If its a little and the place is clean and ready, i let them know im letting them in early to start some good will. As for checking out, i check with my cleaners and sometimes let them know they can take another hour past the normal checkout time (10 am) if they need it. but honestly, i havent had anyone ask for late checkout so far this year.

    I agree.

    If it costs me no extra effort then I will do it an no extra expense to guests.

    Same. It's a kind gesture that costs me nothing and makes a good review more likely. If it's not a same day turn and the place is open then I let em have it. 

    That said, I don't go out of my way to accommodate it in regards to scheduling cleaners around it. 

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 754 votes
    3y

    I never charge for early check in’s. You don’t want the guest to feel like you are nickel and dime them before they even get there. 

    A early check in when the property is ready is a great way to get off on the right foot with the guest and pad that 5 star. 

    I don’t allow late check outs ever. It’s too much to coordinate with cleaners 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.